GWS compo rules - BJ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GWS compo rules - BJ

If bj does go at the end of the year will we get compo ?
Considering what geelong got for ablett and what melbourne got for scully - I will go feral if we don't get at least a first round pick for bj.

Does anyone know the rules?

For the record - if we get a first rounder or 2 ill be comfortable if he goes next year. We will be rebuilding anyhow after winnging the 2012 flag :-)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

amazing how that blog is still resurfacing a couple of weeks later- this must be the requesite bJ- gws thread of the week

at AFL discretion as to value of compo-- bUt' I'd still prefer to he stay.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

It is based on a few factors - most notably age, club achievements (brownlows, B&Fs, etc), where they rank in their club's pay structure and how much they are being paid by GWS.

I dare say if we were to lose Goddard, it would be similar compo to Ablett and Scully - one mid first round pick and one end of 1st round pick.

Personally I'd much rather we kept him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

What they are getting paid by GWS is the main way compo is worked out. We would get 2 first rounders if he left.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:What they are getting paid by GWS is the main way compo is worked out. We would get 2 first rounders if he left.
That's twice in recent days that we have agreed. Any compo picks can be taken any time in the next 5 years, but the club needs to notify the AFL that it wants to take that pick some 10 months prior. For example; If Geelong wish to take both their compo picks in the 2012 Draft they need to inform the AFL in January 2012 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:What they are getting paid by GWS is the main way compo is worked out. We would get 2 first rounders if he left.
That's twice in recent days that we have agreed. Any compo picks can be taken any time in the next 5 years, but the club needs to notify the AFL that it wants to take that pick some 10 months prior. For example; If Geelong wish to take both their compo picks in the 2012 Draft they need to inform the AFL in January 2012 !!
Does that mean you cant use your compo picks the same year you lose the player...

eg... at the end of 2012 BJ announces he's off to GWS and we get our 2 first rounders as compo....do we have to wait until the 2013 draft to use them even if BJ left well before the 2012 draft.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Does that mean you cant use your compo picks the same year you lose the player...

eg... at the end of 2012 BJ announces he's off to GWS and we get our 2 first rounders as compo....do we have to wait until the 2013 draft to use them even if BJ left well before the 2012 draft.....

I think so but we wouldnt want to use them next year anyway unless we have a shocking year. Ideally you would use them when you think you will have a bad year that way you would get 3 very good first round picks.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

It's only when you "Bank" your picks that you have to give notice. If you want to take them at the time/draft they are given, you only have to give about 3 weeks notice. I think Gold Coast still have 3-4 that they can use any time in the next 4 years. As plugger stated, use them when you're down the ladder and use them when the Draft is strong, like it is supposed to be in 2012 and 2013 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I reckon if BJ leaves it will be to a team close to a premiership. While GWS will have the team to win one I don't think they will be in a position for another 4-5 years. BJ will be close to retirement by that time.

Is money that big an issue? He's on 700k with us anyway. What would GWS pay him? 1 mill?

IMO Pendlebury looks the more likely target for GWS. He's 2-3 years younger than BJ and quite frankly a much better and consistent player.

A lot hinges on how we perform this year. Bottom out and I could see BJ going to a Melb based team close to a flag.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Finish last... And gain picks 1 2 & 3.

Loving life!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Finish last... And gain picks 1 2 & 3.

Loving life!
That would be the ultimate tank

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:I reckon if BJ leaves it will be to a team close to a premiership. While GWS will have the team to win one I don't think they will be in a position for another 4-5 years. BJ will be close to retirement by that time.

Is money that big an issue? He's on 700k with us anyway. What would GWS pay him? 1 mill?

IMO Pendlebury looks the more likely target for GWS. He's 2-3 years younger than BJ and quite frankly a much better and consistent player.

A lot hinges on how we perform this year. Bottom out and I could see BJ going to a Melb based team close to a flag.
How do you know he is 700k and how do you know he will only get one million? Also why cant they get both? If GWS had any brains I would think Scully and Ward would have a huge front ended contract to allow them to pick up another 2 stars in 2013. I do agree on how we go will huge influence but I would think only GWS could really afford him in 2013.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I reckon if BJ leaves it will be to a team close to a premiership. While GWS will have the team to win one I don't think they will be in a position for another 4-5 years. BJ will be close to retirement by that time.

How do you know he is 700k and how do you know he will only get one million? Also why cant they get both? If GWS had any brains I would think Scully and Ward would have a huge front ended contract to allow them to pick up another 2 stars in 2013. I do agree on how we go will huge influence but I would think only GWS could really afford him in 2013.
700k was the figure reported in the media. It may be off the mark but I reckon it would be fairly close.

You say only GWS could afford him....IMO I don't think money is the only motivating factor. I could see him sticking with us for significantly less or going to a club close to a flag for less (than GWS offers).

The 1 mill was obviously a guess based off some of the big deals GC and GWS have given. Just remember they will have to keep some cap space for their young guns who could demand 500k + in their third seasons.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

700k was the figure reported in the media. It may be off the mark but I reckon it would be fairly close.

You say only GWS could afford him....IMO I don't think money is the only motivating factor. I could see him sticking with us for significantly less or going to a club close to a flag for less (than GWS offers).

The 1 mill was obviously a guess based off some of the big deals GC and GWS have given. Just remember they will have to keep some cap space for their young guns who could demand 500k + in their third seasons.
Agree with the last statement and tht is why I reckon the players would get huge front ended contracts. And as I said I do agree he will stay with us for much less money but we would have to show we have some chance of a flag in the next 5 years.

gurubob101
Club Player

Old Mate: "IMO Pendlebury looks the more likely target for GWS. He's 2-3 years younger than BJ and quite frankly a much better and consistent player."

Pendlebury is a one paced midfielder who can't mark, can't play in any other position and has very little defensive side to his game... the poor man's Lenny. Goddard is an inspirational footballer who can play just about anywhere and has an outstanding record over a number of years as a genuine star of the game. Quite frankly I think you're wrong.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:IMO Pendlebury looks the more likely target for GWS. He's 2-3 years younger than BJ and quite frankly a much better and consistent player.

Pendlebury is a one paced midfielder who can't mark, can't play in any other position and has very little defensive side to his game... the poor man's Lenny. Goddard is an inspirational footballer who can play just about anywhere and has an outstanding record over a number of years as a star of the game. Quite frankly I think you're wrong.
Rose coloured glasses at their best.

jays
Club Player

wont go imo love saints

gurubob101
Club Player

double

gurubob101
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
gurubob101 wrote:IMO Pendlebury looks the more likely target for GWS. He's 2-3 years younger than BJ and quite frankly a much better and consistent player.

Pendlebury is a one paced midfielder who can't mark, can't play in any other position and has very little defensive side to his game... the poor man's Lenny. Goddard is an inspirational footballer who can play just about anywhere and has an outstanding record over a number of years as a star of the game. Quite frankly I think you're wrong.
Rose coloured glasses at their best.
Grass is greener syndrome!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The way I see it. Pendlebury would be GWS's FIRST Target, followed by BJ. After that, who knows. Let's just hope they snag Pendlebury and leave BJ to play out his career at the saints !!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The good news is I understand the rules much beytyter now.
Nothing stopping gws going after goddard and pendles.

I'm tipping they will be in a postion to offer 3 x 1.5 plus captain = 4.5 mill.

At this time last year we all thought gilbo was a certainty for gws.
So who knows what will happen.

If we get 2 first rounders I will be able to cope.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:Old Mate: "IMO Pendlebury looks the more likely target for GWS. He's 2-3 years younger than BJ and quite frankly a much better and consistent player."

Pendlebury is a one paced midfielder who can't mark, can't play in any other position and has very little defensive side to his game... the poor man's Lenny. Goddard is an inspirational footballer who can play just about anywhere and has an outstanding record over a number of years as a genuine star of the game. Quite frankly I think you're wrong.
LOL

Pendlebury is Nick Dal Santo and a bit more

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:The way I see it. Pendlebury would be GWS's FIRST Target, followed by BJ. After that, who knows. Let's just hope they snag Pendlebury and leave BJ to play out his career at the saints !!
Daisy Thomas would be on their radar as well - right age demographic and more suited to GWS then BJ IMO.

If I had to guess I doubt BJ will be going anywhere.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Eastern wrote:The way I see it. Pendlebury would be GWS's FIRST Target, followed by BJ. After that, who knows. Let's just hope they snag Pendlebury and leave BJ to play out his career at the saints !!
Daisy Thomas would be on their radar as well - right age demographic and more suited to GWS then BJ IMO.

Pretty sure Daisy is signed for 2 years though.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Pretty sure Daisy is signed for 2 years though.
If so disregard. For some reason I thought he only signed a one year extension.