another reason lyon shites me

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

another reason lyon shites me

people will say this is all common knowledge but it shites me how lyon took pelchens strategy not to take any talls in the draft because it was weak in talls and to get mids and get older talls (we got wilkes and they got dawson).
real knob flogging saints IP.
i know most people will say it was all common knowledge but im allowed to be peeved on this!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I have not gone through the draft in details, but if all the talls available through it truly were worse value than a 26yo Zac Dawson turn the future of AFL is in serious trouble.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: another reason lyon shites me

Con Gorozidis wrote:people will say this is all common knowledge but it shites me how lyon took pelchens strategy not to take any talls in the draft because it was weak in talls and to get mids and get older talls (we got wilkes and they got dawson).
i know most people will say it was all common knowledge but im allowed to be peeved on this!
OMG.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: another reason lyon shites me

Con Gorozidis wrote:people will say this is all common knowledge but it shites me how lyon took pelchens strategy not to take any talls in the draft because it was weak in talls and to get mids and get older talls (we got wilkes and they got dawson).
Of course you are allowed to be peeved Con.

I'm just not sure there's a whole lot of rationality behind this one.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Freo drafted players with 2 arms and 2 legs. Sue them.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I don't like him because he coaches the Dockers!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
saint6709
Club Player

I don't like him cause he up his own ar$e - He gives this speech saying its the 'end of an era" - He's just talking about himself - he recons its 'The Lyon Era' - He's gone - who cares _ hopefully we can play some attacking footy - The players are all still there, some very good ones coming back from injury or off a teribble year ( form and media/legal stress) and there is a chance some of the young ones might step up - I for one look forward to 2012

DWOODROW
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:I don't like him cause his head is up his own ar$e - He gives this speech saying its the 'end of an era" - He's just talking about himself - he recons its 'The Lyon Era' - He's gone - who cares _ hopefully we can play some attacking footy - The players are all still there, some very good ones coming back from injury or off a teribble year ( form and media/legal stress) and there is a chance some of the young ones might step up - I for one look forward to 2012
+1

Richter
SS Life Member

DWOODROW wrote:
saint6709 wrote:I don't like him cause his head is up his own ar$e - He gives this speech saying its the 'end of an era" - He's just talking about himself - he recons its 'The Lyon Era' - He's gone - who cares _ hopefully we can play some attacking footy - The players are all still there, some very good ones coming back from injury or off a teribble year ( form and media/legal stress) and there is a chance some of the young ones might step up - I for one look forward to 2012
+1
And ones who were played out of position for the second half of the year.... :wink:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
DWOODROW
Club Player

Richter wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
+1
And ones who were played out of position for the second half of the year.... :wink:
hahahah, yeah why not. :lol:

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Richter wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
+1
Lyon has gone, proberbly still broke, he can have Dawson for mine and Con, I would have thought Lever at 198cms you would classify as a "tall".

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't normally pay attention to opposition supporters comments, but this one stood out to me yesterday

It'll be very interesting to find out whether the Saints were overachieving or underachieving under the Lyon regime, to find out if the abomination that was known as Saints' Footy was justified or not.

Fair?

SaintSimmo
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I don't normally pay attention to opposition supporters comments, but this one stood out to me yesterday

It'll be very interesting to find out whether the Saints were overachieving or underachieving under the Lyon regime, to find out if the abomination that was known as Saints' Footy was justified or not.

Fair?
Good Call? Bad Call?

I say good call. Seems like a very intellegient way to look at it.

Sainter for life.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:I don't normally pay attention to opposition supporters comments, but this one stood out to me yesterday

Fair?
Good Call? Bad Call?

I say good call. Seems like a very intellegient way to look at it.
I thought so as well...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Fair?
What do you think? I think we overachieved. Well we certainly didnt underacheive.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Fair?
What do you think? I think we overachieved. Well we certainly didnt underacheive.
This isn't about what I think, it's about an opposition supporters view, which I thought was fair...from the outside?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Fair?
This isn't about what I think, it's about an opposition supporters view, which I thought was fair...from the outside?
So you are prepared to have an opinion. The person is asking a question. I dont think it is directed at only opposition supporters.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I agree that, if anything, we overachieved under Lyon.

Unfortunately, Lyon's strategy was detrimental to the overall quality of our playing list going forward. On the whole I don't blame him: he brought in a lot of recycled players he thought could do the job and got us to within a fingernail's breadth of two premierships. It's a pity we let Ball go and a pity we traded an early draft pick for Lovett. And, on the whole, we have picked poorly in the draft.

It will be hard to compare the performances of Watters and Lyon. Watters is starting with a poorer playing list than did Lyon: the key players are older and there is less depth. The odds are stacked against Watters, especially in the medium term, but he does have a very narrow window for the next 1-2 seasons in which we could potentially still win a flag.

All the ducks will need to line up perfectly: Hayes and Gwilt come back playing at a high level, there are no other serious injuries to key players, a couple of the youngsters turn out to exceed expectations, etc. Otherwise, we won't be playing in any more GFs for another 5 years at least. And Freo might well play in several, and even win one or more.

This won't necessarily mean that Watters is an inferior coach to Lyon (although that also might turn out to be the case). I would argue that the quality of the playing list is always far more important than the quality of the coach. The core of our list has been exceptionally good for the last 8 or so years, although it is probably about to deteriorate. Two coaches of quite different styles did well with our list over that period. There are probably another 20 coaches who also would have been able to take that list to the finals.

But I don't think there is a coach in the history of the AFL who could have taken the Carlton team of the 2000s to a GF. Or the Brisbane Lions in 2011. Or a myriad of other poor quality lists.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Fair?
It's an ignorant/dumb call beacause our game plan made us one of the hardest teams to ever score against. Our game plan wasn't about flooding.

Opposition supporters hated us because their teams couldn't score against us.

How did we ovearachive exactly? We didn't exactly win anything. We finsihed exactly were we deserved to so that is not overachieving IMO.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Fair?
It's an ignorant/dumb call beacause our game plan made us one of the hardest teams to ever score against. Our game plan wasn't about flooding.

Opposition supporters hated us because their teams couldn't score against us.

How did we ovearachive exactly? We didn't exactly win anything. We finsihed exactly were we deserved to so that is not overachieving IMO.
Well IMO we didnt have a list to finish that high but as you said due to a great game plan it allowed our list to achieve what it did. Maybe the coach overachieved.

Richter
SS Life Member

At the end of the 2004-5 seasons, I reckoned that we were set up for the possibility of becoming the dominant team of the late noughties... unfortunately that turned out to be the Cats.

Lyon did well to get us two Grannies, but don't forget how highly our young list was touted at in 2004 in particular. It was generally felt to be at least as good, if not better than Geelong's.... In reality, since the second half of 2003, this team has had a winning run - bar the poor end to the 2006 finals, and a miserable start to 2007.... If either of Luke Ball or Xavier Clarke had turned out to be as good as say, Hodge, Judd or Bartel, then we would have won at least one premiership under Lyon. If we'd picked up Judd alone then we'd have won 4 or 5 IMO.

Them's the breaks... :cry:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Real Knob? Oh yes because he left your beloved club. :roll:

A very good coach who is very intelligent.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:Freo drafted players with 2 arms and 2 legs. Sue them.
that hot girl in legal should look in to it!
:lol:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Go Sainters Go wrote:
Richter wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
+1
Lyon has gone, proberbly still broke, he can have Dawson for mine and Con, I would have thought Lever at 198cms you would classify as a "tall".
lever is a tall chap yes.
perhaps i meant to say "KPPs"

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:I don't like him cause he up his own ar$e - He gives this speech saying its the 'end of an era" - He's just talking about himself - he recons its 'The Lyon Era' - He's gone - who cares _ hopefully we can play some attacking footy - The players are all still there, some very good ones coming back from injury or off a teribble year ( form and media/legal stress) and there is a chance some of the young ones might step up - I for one look forward to 2012
exactly what "era" was he crapping on about???

last time i checked we still had roo, milne, fisher, nds, joey, bj, lenny, gwilty, gilbo etc etc on our list running around and embarking on another pre-season. This era is alive and well FFS.