Standalone St Kilda VFL team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Mackaysaint wrote:I think a lot of people here are being disrespectful of the relationship we have with Sandringham. This coming season is the first in a new era of real co-operation. If it turns out to be a failure for both parties (and especially the Saints) then we should look into fielding a stand alone reserves team.

I can see problems arising in the VFL if most or every Vic club has their own reserves team. I doubt that the competition can support that many teams. What of the existing VFL clubs? Do we drive many or all of them to extinction?

If a new league is created that is one step lower than AFL, how many of the relegated VFL clubs will suffer financially? Finding enough quality players will be a problem. Grounds and facilities would become premium.

Just a few thoughts :(
And to complete my thought after phone freeze,
Bullants this next season play as bullant blues,still wearing the jumper I believe but just.
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 28 Dec 2011 6:36am, edited 2 times in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Heading into 2012, how are we feeling about this subject?

Are we content with the alignment with Sandringham?

Are we getting what we need from it?

Sounds like Watters and Pelchen are making a much greater effort to engage and bring the two clubs closer together.

What's your gut feeling about where you would like it to head?

Need our own team.

Collingwood and Geelong winning premierships is not a coincidence.

And I'm pretty sure hawthorn run box hill.

SMS
Club Player

i would pay $25.

It means we can develop the youngsters better and faster without interference.

The AFL needs to bring back reserves footy. How great it would be to have a pre game reserves again. See all the rookies and youngsters coming up in a saints Guernsey!

AFL RESERVES = 4-5 million a year. Seriously pocket change for the AFL they should just do it.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Would still be fully supportive of them fielding a standalone Reserves side.
To have full control of your developing players would be worth whatever the cost IMO - Look at Geelong and Coll.

According to the OP, it's $250k for the VFL alignment - and about $500k to field a standalone Reserves team - reckon Saints can afford the extra $ if they really wanted.....

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:i would pay $25.

It means we can develop the youngsters better and faster without interference.

The AFL needs to bring back reserves footy. How great it would be to have a pre game reserves again. See all the rookies and youngsters coming up in a saints Guernsey!

AFL RESERVES = 4-5 million a year. Seriously pocket change for the AFL they should just do it.
agree .
i've always thought that good players for the club who may be past there best , but still want to play shouldn't be lost to the club .
e.g. steven baker felt he could go another year , but instead the club retired him. If we had a reserve team he could be offered a two year deal where he can mentor the juniors , develope himself as an assistant coach , still enjoy the cameraderie of the senior listed players , and run around on the weekends playing vfl .
He of course may not want to , however it could lead to less situations where good players finish their careers on a sour note .

In red white and black from 73
matrix
Saintsational Legend

well they couldnt sell all the 200$ raffle tickets and rang me up asking to purchase another one

yeah
theyll get the cash to get a stand alone team
:lol: 8-)

darylcowie
Club Player

Frankston Dolphins

I would be happy for us to install Simon McPhee at Frankston in 2013.

Our players would play in red, white and black, instead of gold, blue, brown, etc

It's just down the road from Seaford.

It really identifies us with the Mornington Peninsula, not just bayside suburbs.

This bails out a financially struggling VFL club and allows us to develop players.

We would not have to find an extra $250 K per season to have our own ressies!

What do peninsula-based saints think?

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Frankston Dolphins

darylcowie wrote:I would be happy for us to install Simon McPhee at Frankston in 2013.

Our players would play in red, white and black, instead of gold, blue, brown, etc

It really identifies us with the Mornington Peninsula, not just bayside suburbs.

This bails out a financially struggling VFL club and allows us to develop players.

Why would we leave Sandy to go to another VFL side? Id rather stay at Sandy than do another move. Id rather our own side than either of those.

darylcowie
Club Player

Frankston Dolphins

As I stated, colours, location, community links, no more money needed!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:As I stated, colours, location, community links, no more money needed!
The name is still Frankston so I dont see how the colours matter. The loaction just means more people from from one of our original bases are further away from watching Saints players and the money is the same as being at Sandy. Anyway I think Frankston already rejected us once so they have had their chance.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Frankston will never align with an AFL team. They want to go at it alone, hence why they have already rejected us before...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
darylcowie wrote:I would be happy for us to install Simon McPhee at Frankston in 2013.

Why would we leave Sandy to go to another VFL side? Id rather stay at Sandy than do another move. Id rather our own side than either of those.
Okay then.

How about Sandy and Frankston merge to form the Seaford Zebras wearing Red, White & Black and of course aligned to the Saints?

Really, do I have to solve everything? :roll:

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Okay then.

How about Sandy and Frankston merge to form the Seaford Zebras wearing Red, White & Black and of course aligned to the Saints?

Yes you do, now put your orange thinking cap on and get to work :P :P

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Okay then.

Yes you do, now put your orange thinking cap on and get to work :P :P
Well the red of Frankston and the yellow of Sandringham, when combined, will produce that colour.

I like it! 8-)

zebraman
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Okay then.

Dr...wash your mouth out with soap....better make it Solvol...

Sandy and Frankston merge????

I shudder at the thought of having anything to do with that rabble of a team...

Quite like the Frankston area though....drive through there twice a day to and from work..

Frankston have rejected AFL alignments in the past but I'm pretty sure that they weren't happy when the St Kilda/Sandy alignment happened...

" The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle "
darylcowie
Club Player

My point is that it is clear that the Sandy/Saints alignment has not worked and will not work in the future and I think we need to look at alternatives.

The club should poll members on their preferred option.

Obviously an alignment with Frankston would make sense on several levels as I have indicated previously on this thread, but I would not be disappointed if we chose to go it alone in the VFL.

Either alternative would be an improvement on the status quo as far as our player development is concerned IMO!

shmic_s
Club Player

darylcowie wrote:My point is that it is clear that the Sandy/Saints alignment has not worked and will not work in the future and I think we need to look at alternatives.

Obviously an alignment with Frankston would make sense on several levels as I have indicated previously on this thread, but I would not be disappointed if we chose to go it alone in the VFL.

Either alternative would be an improvement on the status quo as far as our player development is concerned IMO!
I think most would agree that the alignment hasn't been the best.
Both clubs now seem to be working a bit closer together, with St Kilda recognising the role Sandy can play in relation to player development.

Good discussion here with a link to an good article written by stkildathunder.
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... andringham

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:My point is that it is clear that the Sandy/Saints alignment has not worked and will not work in the future and I think we need to look at alternatives.

It hasn't really worked in the past however clearly this has now been recognised and steps put in place to address the issues.

Think we really have to wait and see how the Saints/Zebras Mk II model pans out before we look to go down another path.

And the Academy will surely give player development a huge boost along :)

zebraman
Club Player

How do you know that it won't work in the future?

I think you'll find that with Pelchen at the helm, things will improve....with Simon McPhee at the helm, Sandy will be playing St Kildas game plan...and btw...Sandy are paying a sizeable portion of McPhees salary...he has 2 roles...one with Sandy...one with St Kilda...

do you really think that by aligning with Frankston simply because of their location that this will suddenly have some miraculous improvement?

Saints have signed on with Sandy until 2014 and there is a good possibility of it going beyond that...of course plenty of different scenarios can happen in the future that may change that, but for seasons 2012 and 2013 it's a St Kilda/Sandy alignment...whether you like it or not...it's obviously not to your liking but I've spoken to a lot of St Kilda supporters who actually agree with the alignment...and some that don't...you can either embrace it or continue to complain about it...

Try embracing it...

" The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I always thought the Box Hill hawks were the strongest of the alliances and I think Pelchen played a reasonable part in setting that up. Hopefully he can bring that along here.

I like that fact that the Saints aren't pushing for Sandy to change it's names/colours like some aligned clubs have done.

If we can just get the saints 2nd tier player's needs to align with Sandy's... it's got the makings of a ripper alliance