The difference 5 moths can make!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MadSaintFan
Club Player

The difference 5 moths can make!

When I first heard Rossco was sacked, I was shattered. Utterly guttered. I'd been so totally commited to he Us vs. Them mentality which he created for the club that I saw this as the beginning of the end for our side. I was anti-medi, anti-AFL, anti-everyone.

Then ScottyWatters gets appointed. Okay, dont know too much about him. Assistant at Collingwood. Thats all I knew. But since I first heard him speak at his appointment press conferance, and read a few articles I'v been completely impressed. He speaks brilliantly. Has an amazing football brain and is excellant tacticlly from what I've heard. He's removed the darkness that lingered over our club. The boys speak in the media more, theyre out in the community more, they seem happier. I heard James Brayshaw say today on MMM that he sw Rooey last week looking like a man with the weight of the world had been taken off his shoulders.

Then we completely alter the age structure of our list. I think we've gone from an average age of 28 to 24-25 roughly. We kept our core 10-12 (which is in the top 4 in the comp) and added talented younger players around it. This year I think we'll see the skill of our recruiters come to fruition with Saad, Ledger, Siposs, Cripps, Steven and Simpkin playing significant roles. And from what I've seen of Markworth he looks like an absolute ripper.

Pumped for 2012!!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Re: The difference 5 moths can make!

It's the butterfly effect

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:It's the butterfly effect
Well we have been living in a cocoon!

Sorry, bubble :P

thekilda

Scotty has made a massive impact and looks like he has earned the respect of the TOTAL CLUB. For the short space of time he has been around I think the excitement he has generated is nothing short of remarkable and for this Scotty you deserve a little bit of first season luck. Who knows where that may take us !

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what the new coach could have done wrong to this point to be honest. I don't see up having a top 4 list anymore unfortunately.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

welcome thekilda
to the land of insects and dinasours.... all flight and fancy at this point
but Vibe is good. and we're on the up. :D

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

They make a huge difference. When left in your wardrobe, they will make your clothes full of holes.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
asiu
Saintsational Legend

.quite auspicious i'm led to believe.

.especially if they are blue.
(not for growers of cicads though)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

ps ,
welcome thekilda .

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

thekilda wrote:Scotty has made a massive impact and looks like he has earned the respect of the TOTAL CLUB. For the short space of time he has been around I think the excitement he has generated is nothing short of remarkable and for this Scotty you deserve a little bit of first season luck. Who knows where that may take us !
Happens to most clubs with a new coach.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

MadSaintFan wrote: I think we've gone from an average age of 28 to 24-25 roughly.
I'd love to see your calculations. I find it hard to believe that we have dropped three years given that all the players we have retained are a year older.

Some quick calculations. If we had a list of 45 and kept 30 of them, the 15 new players would have to be 11 years younger than those they replace for the average to go down by three years. Who was 11 years younger than McQualter or Gamble? Who was 11 years older than Saad or Milera or Wilkes?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

would be nice is our fan club did something fresh to support the boys

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The Ross era now sits amongst the moth balls....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

MadSaintFan wrote:When I first heard Rossco was sacked, I was shattered. Utterly guttered. I'd been so totally commited to he Us vs. Them mentality which he created for the club that I saw this as the beginning of the end for our side. I was anti-medi, anti-AFL, anti-everyone.

Then ScottyWatters gets appointed. Okay, dont know too much about him. Assistant at Collingwood. Thats all I knew. But since I first heard him speak at his appointment press conferance, and read a few articles I'v been completely impressed. He speaks brilliantly. Has an amazing football brain and is excellant tacticlly from what I've heard. He's removed the darkness that lingered over our club. The boys speak in the media more, theyre out in the community more, they seem happier. I heard James Brayshaw say today on MMM that he sw Rooey last week looking like a man with the weight of the world had been taken off his shoulders.

Then we completely alter the age structure of our list. I think we've gone from an average age of 28 to 24-25 roughly. We kept our core 10-12 (which is in the top 4 in the comp) and added talented younger players around it. This year I think we'll see the skill of our recruiters come to fruition with Saad, Ledger, Siposs, Cripps, Steven and Simpkin playing significant roles. And from what I've seen of Markworth he looks like an absolute ripper.

Pumped for 2012!!
I don't think he was sacked was he?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:I don't think he was sacked was he?
correct- just glad we didn't have to pay him out....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
thekilda wrote:Scotty has made a massive impact and looks like he has earned the respect of the TOTAL CLUB. For the short space of time he has been around I think the excitement he has generated is nothing short of remarkable and for this Scotty you deserve a little bit of first season luck. Who knows where that may take us !
Yes and no. Morale appeared at rock bottom at our club just before your idol left. Now it is miles away from that.

You don't see that with the other clubs with new coaches to the same
Degree. If it relates on field who knows at this stage.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
Yes and no. Morale appeared at rock bottom at our club just before your idol left. Now it is miles away from that.

You don't see that with the other clubs with new coaches to the same
Degree. If it relates on field who knows at this stage.

I reckon every clubs footy forums would be saying exactly the same thing. Why would we be any different. And many players were very upset when RL left especially the regulars but like any footy club the ones who werent getting a game were very happy. Now everyone is happy but in 6 weeks a few will not be again. That is how all footy clubs work whether AFL or local.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I reckon every clubs footy forums would be saying exactly the same thing. Why would we be any different. And many players were very upset when RL left especially the regulars but like any footy club the ones who werent getting a game were very happy. Now everyone is happy but in 6 weeks a few will not be again. That is how all footy clubs work whether AFL or local.
Cant see the Demons or Doggies supporters moaning about how s.hit their new coach is at this point of time either, so yes you are correct P66.

I am equally sure that Freo supporters would be pretty expectant as well.

Still Watters has given us a relatively trouble free off season (thank God) and has opened the club up a bit.

P66 you seem to be about the club a bit, how is the overall feeling going from authoratarian Lyon to more inclusive Watters?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I reckon every clubs footy forums would be saying exactly the same thing. Why would we be any different. And many players were very upset when RL left especially the regulars but like any footy club the ones who werent getting a game were very happy. Now everyone is happy but in 6 weeks a few will not be again. That is how all footy clubs work whether AFL or local.
Cant see the Demons or Doggies supporters moaning about how s.hit their new coach is at this point of time either, so yes you are correct P66.

I am equally sure that Freo supporters would be pretty expectant as well.

Still Watters has given us a relatively trouble free off season (thank God) and has opened the club up a bit.

P66 you seem to be about the club a bit, how is the overall feeling going from authoratarian Lyon to more inclusive Watters?

Love to tell you but i would be making it up. Havent seen any players that I know since Xmas but i may be having a drink with one guy today. I will ask him if i see him and hopefully report how happy everything is.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's interesting hearing Watters talking about coping with the pressures the last few years, when you had not much else to hang your hat on other than being a footballer. By opening up the club, being a presence in the community, charity work...he thinks it allows the players to feel better people, outside of being footballers.

I'm curious what people think of that, I think it makes a lot of sense.

Not forgetting this guy has a lot of experience in his life with getting the best out of people, and let's be honest, there are quite a lot of the guys on the list who are still unrealised potential.

Lyon was amazing at focusing talented driven senior players and getting them to buy in, hoping Watters can do this + being amazing at focusing talented younger players and getting them to buy in.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.i for one (fwtw) ms k , love it.

.weakest link thinkn .... strengthn up from the bottom eases pressure at the top
.... leading not carrying.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i will say only one thing. some of the players seemed to look like they had the weight of the world on their shoulders last year. really labouring under a dark cloud of pressure and expectations.

so whether u are a ross lyon fan or not probably doesnt matter. maybe ross really is good but his methods have a short limit? like 4 years? maybe he recognised this?

so obviously he was a good coach - but i think his time was up. 4 years of pressure is a lot. players need to be refreshed and watters seems like the right man for that job.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:.i for one (fwtw) ms k , love it.

.weakest link thinkn .... strengthn up from the bottom eases pressure at the top
.... leading not carrying.
Leading not carrying, I like it

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Love to tell you but i would be making it up. Havent seen any players that I know since Xmas but i may be having a drink with one guy today. I will ask him if i see him and hopefully report how happy everything is.
update?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Love to tell you but i would be making it up. Havent seen any players that I know since Xmas but i may be having a drink with one guy today. I will ask him if i see him and hopefully report how happy everything is.
update?

Most of the young guys are training the house down, the club is all up and about and probably a great move by the club and RL to have a new coach. Newnes and Ross are very impressive as first year players, ledger and Cripps leading the second year players. Attitude of older guys first rate. Heard it all before but Kosi looks fantastic. Only real injuries are Jimmy who should be right to go at round 6 and Winmar and one or two other minor ones. Wilkes will play FB at this stage. Ferguson and Simpkin will get chances in the Nab cup and dont back us when we go to Perth for the Nab cup. Many older players to miss.