McQualter in Suns Leadership Group

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StNoodles
Club Player

McQualter in Suns Leadership Group

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: McQualter in Suns Leadership Group

good for him.
seems strange though.he might go ok.
i dont think lyon did him any favours in the end. lyon loved him but at the same time killed him by keeping him as a role player in the fwd line.

StNoodles
Club Player

Yep. Was a prolific ball winner as a junior, be interesting to see how he goes if he gets a run in a weaker midfield unit.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

StNoodles wrote:Yep. Was a prolific ball winner as a junior, be interesting to see how he goes if he gets a run in a weaker midfield unit.
I wouldn't say their midfield is weaker. I think they will be playing finals this year and I also think Mini will be a premiership player in the next couple of years. It makes you sick to the core doesn't it.

saintDal
Club Player

I read on the GC bigfooty board that Mini was drafted to help the younger players in their reserves team and is therefore not expected to be playing seniors for them.
Last edited by saintDal on Sun 19 Feb 2012 9:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

StNoodles
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
StNoodles wrote:Yep. Was a prolific ball winner as a junior, be interesting to see how he goes if he gets a run in a weaker midfield unit.
I wouldn't say their midfield is weaker. I think they will be playing finals this year and I also think Mini will be a premiership player in the next couple of years. It makes you sick to the core doesn't it.
You think the Suns' midfield is the equal or better than St Kilda's of the last few years?

StNoodles
Club Player

saintDal wrote:I read on the GWS bigfooty board that Mini was drafted to help the younger players in their reserves team and is therefore not expected to be playing seniors for them.
GWS fans must follow the Suns pretty closely then.

saintDal
Club Player

StNoodles wrote:
saintDal wrote:I read on the GWS bigfooty board that Mini was drafted to help the younger players in their reserves team and is therefore not expected to be playing seniors for them.
GWS fans must follow the Suns pretty closely then.
Sorry I meant GC :oops:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

StNoodles wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
You think the Suns' midfield is the equal or better than St Kilda's of the last few years?

The Suns midfield last year was weaker. I think this year it may be a different year. Lenny will take a bit to get back and may never be the same at the age of 32. Dal is the only geniune star we have in the midfield for the the future. Armo and maybe Jack might step up so who knows.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:good for him.
seems strange though.he might go ok.
i dont think lyon did him any favours in the end. lyon loved him but at the same time killed him by keeping him as a role player in the fwd line.
You dont think Lyon did him any favours? Clearly Lyon identified Minis best role in the team. His best role was to be a Defensive Forward. That was the only place for him to be in the 22. Ross Clearly got the best out of him.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

StNoodles wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Finals this year? I find it hard to believe they are on the same level as Carlton, Essendon, Freo, West Coast, Saints, Cats, Filth, Hawks... havent mentioned Swans, Dogs, Dees or Tiges. Suns will do well to finish better than 12th.

While Gablett, Swallow and Risch are classy, our current mids crap all over them. I agree they will suceed within 10 years I think you arr jumping the gun a bit

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Isnt he on the rookie list? If so, must have made an almighty impression! Good on him

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The Suns midfield last year was weaker. I think this year it may be a different year. Lenny will take a bit to get back and may never be the same at the age of 32. Dal is the only geniune star we have in the midfield for the the future. Armo and maybe Jack might step up so who knows.[/quote]

I would put Montagna in the star category as he is a top line player who must average in the mid to high 20s every week and is also prominent in the clearances. Most other teams would consider him elite. I hope Ledger and Cripps will show the promise they did last year every week in the future and my smokey is Crocker, last NAB cup he started to look like the one that had all the talent early on.

I still think Dal santo has his best to come as a midfielder, he was forced to be the fill in defender under Lyon rather than the damaging attacking player that other elite ball users get to be.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Good on Mini for prolonging his career and making the leadership group. But seriously, would the young, highly-talented high draft-picks that the Suns have really look up to him as a leader?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Isn't he already named as captain of the Suns reserves?

By the way, got our members cards the other day. There was an inter-club game/family day on yesterday but we didnt go. 10am till 130pm on a Saturday is not a good time for most families. A few junior clubs in the area were having their sign on day yesterday morn, so obviously there was some lack of communication?

Bluey McKenna was at my daughters karate class the other night, watching his son. I said gidday, said I was a Suns member, but a Saints supporter. He shook my hand and said he wouldn't hold it against me... 8-)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Finals this year? I find it hard to believe they are on the same level as Carlton, Essendon, Freo, West Coast, Saints, Cats, Filth, Hawks... havent mentioned Swans, Dogs, Dees or Tiges. Suns will do well to finish better than 12th.

While Gablett, Swallow and Risch are classy, our current mids crap all over them. I agree they will suceed within 10 years I think you arr jumping the gun a bit[/quote]

Melbourne, Freo and the Dogs will struggle to make the 8. I think the Tigers and Suns will be the big improvers this year. Then assume one team that was in the 8 last year will bave a heap of bad luck or just plain slide, maybe Essendon or Swans, probably Swans. And there you go, GC make the eight. They are seriously laden with talent and really played some brilliant footy in patches last year. Hey we even struggled to put them away by a biggish margin. Like our backline and forward line, our midfield is one or two players short of elite quality players needed to press for a top four. KD, Seaford and the hangover for successive GF losses were our excuse last year. This year wil tell all but I think we are in for a long hard season. I hope not because I've become very used to flying down on a Friday arvo and expecting a win. But here
s what I hope. I hope Lenny can kick produce the output he was capable of before the knee, I hope Dal puts in another 2011 performance, I hope that Armo and Steven both step up another cog and then also hope Monty can lift a little too because I think for big chunks of last year he was just cruising. If this all happens then maybe we will be better than the GC suns midfield this year. We've still got massive issues at FB and FF though unless we unleash a couple of guns in round one.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

If you have a look at McQualter's profile on the suns website: http://goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/play ... mcqualter/
You will see it says McQualter has been recruited to play an important leadership role with the GC SUNS reserves team in NEAFL.

Sainter for life.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes that is what was stated by GWS at the time of his recruitment.

I think from memory that he will "captain" the reserves.........

This will be why he is in the "leadership" group.

Those that have him in the GWS Premiership Team may also wish to first note that Mini was recruited as a "rookie".

IMO Mini is one of those players who are better than VFL level, but are not quite good enough for AFL level.

He will be a great asset to mentor young kids....and to call on if required if they have an injury run.

In the seniors though they will be wanting to put gametime into their many gifted players rather than Mini.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:
Will double the number of games they win this year but that still leaves them well short of finals

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

hard to imagine a player being picked purely to play reserves

SinCitySainter
Club Player

skeptic wrote:hard to imagine a player being picked purely to play reserves
Normally, I would agree with this statement but the Suns and GWS are in a very unusual situation.
They have no shortage of very good young talent coming through but really only lack in the leadership area.
Some mature bodies and heads is exactly what they need to help bring these guys through.
Mini is exactly the sort of player they need to help show the young guys the work ethic required to make it.
He has played finals football so knows about how tough it can be and his leadership was always one of his strongest assets.
Good call by the GC for mine.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
skeptic wrote:hard to imagine a player being picked purely to play reserves
Normally, I would agree with this statement but the Suns and GWS are in a very unusual situation.
They have no shortage of very good young talent coming through but really only lack in the leadership area.
Some mature bodies and heads is exactly what they need to help bring these guys through.
Mini is exactly the sort of player they need to help show the young guys the work ethic required to make it.
He has played finals football so knows about how tough it can be and his leadership was always one of his strongest assets.
Good call by the GC for mine.
I guess ur right... one would have thought a little more...''achievement'' or ''seniority'' would hve been required for such a role. The guy only really had one good season on our list.

Still, by all accounts he was a top notch bloke oozing with leadership skills so he's certainly not the worst choice. It's an unorthodox move granted.

Fair call SCS, I'm warming to the idea

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

McQualter was very lucky to have a coach like Ross Lyon who found a place for him and be effective. Wouldnt of been like that at another club. Ross got the best out of McQualter. Not many coaches can do that.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
PJ
SS Life Member

Wow .........that's all I can say.......Wow.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Did Lyon not invent Penicillin?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!