Tom Lynch kicks three

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evo
Club Player

Tom Lynch kicks three

Cheap goals, but still three goals in half a game vs Collingwood

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Lynch kicks three

Wouldn't have kicked 3 playing for Ross..wouldn't have got the opportunity

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Cheap goals, but still three goals in half a game vs Collingwood
Great. Hope he really enjoys it but he won't be doing that during the regular season.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I thought he played well. We may rue the day we ejected him.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I thought he played well. We may rue the day we ejected him.
We may not have handled him too well but ultimately he ejected himself.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I thought he played well. We may rue the day we ejected him.
We may not have handled him too well but ultimately he ejected himself.

I am unsure we even handled him badly. He got as many games as he deserved last probably more than he deserved.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

dunno, from watching plenty of sandy games in 09 & 11 he was always in the best three or so when he played. b&f results and match reports seem to vindicate that. he gota handful of senior games, and we call that opportunity....come on. dont think he disgraced himself there either, except for his debut game playing on an afl legend as a decoy, which was a disgusting ploy.

we did give plenty of opportunities to gilbert and gamble and clarke no matter their form.

armitage, lynch, winmar were either recuiting stuff ups or development stuff ups....actually,i think both, but more the latter...luckily for ben, gardy was rooted, or hed be sitting on 15games after an average start...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:dunno, from watching plenty of sandy games in 09 & 11 he was always in the best three or so when he played. b&f results and match reports seem to vindicate that. he gota handful of senior games, and we call that opportunity....come on. dont think he disgraced himself there either, except for his debut game playing on an afl legend as a decoy, which was a disgusting ploy.

we did give plenty of opportunities to gilbert and gamble and clarke no matter their form.

armitage, lynch, winmar were either recuiting stuff ups or development stuff ups....actually,i think both, but more the latter...luckily for ben, gardy was rooted, or hed be sitting on 15games after an average start...

Well I saw plenty of Sandy games to and yes he did well but then I saw everyone of his senior games and IMO he was poor in just about every game and very poor against the GC. He got the chances he deserved. Winmar has been struck down by injury and certainly played as many games as he deserved last year. Armo has just about been a regular for a year now but again IMO he still hasnt really shown us anything special to say he should have been played more. With Ben that is just a guess. We wouldnt have a clue how many games he would have played but lets face it there arent to many positions for ruckmen anyway.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

dont agree with your assessment.

firstly, players under 10games should be afforded the luxury of average output, really its 50-80 games is only when expectation of performance can exist. but i thought he showed signs of ability at the level, especially vs freo....the GC game was the perfect example of poor development coaching...

armitage has been mis managed...and is 30 games from where he sould be...

walsh a joke

winmar, yes injury has cruelled him, butnot sure he was the best selection

i know you dont want to admit it, but as good a coach ross is, and good he is, his ability to develop kids is shonky....

not going out on a limb saying that either, its obvious.....hence

the ross lyon academy we now have

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:dont agree with your assessment.

firstly, players under 10games should be afforded the luxury of average output, really its 50-80 games is only when expectation of performance can exist. but i thought he showed signs of ability at the level, especially vs freo....the GC game was the perfect example of poor development coaching...

armitage has been mis managed...and is 30 games from where he sould be...

walsh a joke

winmar, yes injury has cruelled him, butnot sure he was the best selection

i know you dont want to admit it, but as good a coach ross is, and good he is, his ability to develop kids is shonky....

not going out on a limb saying that either, its obvious.....hence

the ross lyon academy we now have

Yep Walsh should have played 2 or 3 games. Not sure that would have meant him staying. Doubt it very much. I will stick with Lynch and Armo having the right amount of games with where their abilty is at.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Why does every player leaving have to be "we stuffed up" or "he is a dud" ??? Can't we just say that the offer we got from the crows for lynch was good and from where the team sat trading was a good outcome for all involved .. I hope Lynch has a great carreer at the crows ( just not against us)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Tom Lynch's worst games were absolutely no worse than the majority of Eddy's games... Yet Eddy was brought into a finals side, and continued to produce nothing...

Ross is/was a great tactical coach... He is a hopeless judge of talent... They are equally important in coaching in terms of long term success..

We were lucky Gardi and Lenny were injured last year, which has handed us Ben and Jack much improved coming into this season...

Lynch never played 2 consecutive games is what I heard on the radio earlier today?!... If so, that is a disgrace in respect to his development...

If anyone can tell me why Eddy was afforded so many chances with ZERO output in a position Lynch was drafted for, I'd like to hear it, without the 'role' justification... Keep it to football ability, both at VFL level and AFL...

Lynch will be no champion, but a serviceable, long term player for the Crows, who will certainly have many good days... Has a handy knack of getting a lot of goals from close in front too... Reads it well... This is no fluke...

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Many goals.........
that was the problem, would have upset the game plan
much better kicking backwards till Riewoldt is free 70 out and on the boundary

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Im sure everyone knows my thoughts on Lynch by now so I wont go on about him, but it wont suprise me when he succeeds at the Crows.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Armitage proved against hawks 009 that he can cut it at the top level. He was also amongst our best against Swans in Elim last year IMO.Lynch should definitely have been given more opportunities, but nobody could argue that he struggled big style when in the seniors. He is one guy who quit us who I do wish all the best, because he has only left to better his station in life, which I reckon is fair enough.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Tom Lynch's worst games were absolutely no worse than the majority of Eddy's games... Yet Eddy was brought into a finals side, and continued to produce nothing...

Ross is/was a great tactical coach... He is a hopeless judge of talent... They are equally important in coaching in terms of long term success..

We were lucky Gardi and Lenny were injured last year, which has handed us Ben and Jack much improved coming into this season...

Lynch never played 2 consecutive games is what I heard on the radio earlier today?!... If so, that is a disgrace in respect to his development...

If anyone can tell me why Eddy was afforded so many chances with ZERO output in a position Lynch was drafted for, I'd like to hear it, without the 'role' justification... Keep it to football ability, both at VFL level and AFL...

Lynch will be no champion, but a serviceable, long term player for the Crows, who will certainly have many good days... Has a handy knack of getting a lot of goals from close in front too... Reads it well... This is no fluke...

Yep RL wanted to play guys that were worse than other players. It makes sense. Maybe Eddy did his role better than Lynch. And I not sure those 2 would have been going for the same positions.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure that stat is true, I can't remember him playing consecutive games.

Pretty hard for a forward to flourish under Saints footy, even a champion like Roo found it hard work at times. Repeat efforts, pushing up and down the ground.

Maybe my imagination, but Crows seem to want him in the 50 leading and presenting. Actually their forward line looks OK, with Porpoise, Walker, Tippett, Lynch and mids rotating through there.

Be safe to say it was a done deal long before Ross announced his departure.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't be getting too worked up about Lynch. He kicked three easy goals against a very depleted Collingwood who are preparing for the real stuff. Lynch reads the play ok but he is too slow and not tall enough for a KP. He can also be a bit lazy but at least he can change that.

Jack Newnes is a very different player who will be at least as good and hopefully a lot better.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Yep RL wanted to play guys that were worse than other players. It makes sense. Maybe Eddy did his role better than Lynch. And I not sure those 2 would have been going for the same positions.
My point being RL couldn't identify that Lynch is more capable than Eddy... Can't identify talent...

I imagine that Eddy's 'role' on the HFF could have been Lynch's, seeing as he has played forward at junior, VFL and now with the Crows.. Granted they play it a different way, but output is all that matters...

Everyone knows Roo, BJ, Dal etc can play... Their talent is obvious, selection a no brainer... It's nurturing the ones with untapped potential over the ones that merely train well that RL cannot do... It hurt us, and will be difficult for SW to overcome and turn around going forward..

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

People have very selective memories when making sweeping statement about player development. For example, Lynch played ok against Freo and North the first time and would have played the next game but he got injured. He also spent a fair bit of his first year injured as well.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

And don't want to read pedantic or anything but how did Tommy Walsh go last night? He absolutely starred in the international series with the round ball, but once again failed to make any sort of impact in the NAB Cup on a younger opponent...

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Lynch should have been given Eddys tagging role. I'm sure he would have done a magnificent job.

Also Lynch would have been the difference in all the grand finals. In fact we should have given him GF births to assist and progress his development.

All this development talk. Not every player can be developed... Do some actually realise they would have an entire team full of development if they had their way.

Heyne Smith Cahill Lynch Walsh Armitage Winmar Simpkin.. The clubs #1 aim should be development... Not winning. Will shut the whingers up.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote: Lynch never played 2 consecutive games is what I heard on the radio earlier today?!... If so, that is a disgrace in respect to his development...
On top of that lets not forget that he was subbed off in possibly all of his few senior games last year as well. Plus the fact that he was played forward in the seniors, despite playing down back in the VFL at the time. He wasn't doing much when played forward for Sandy, so there wasn't a lot of likelihood that he would do much forward for St Kilda either.
Hopefully it will work out best for all concerned, as Siposs looks like he'll play that role up forward (and hopefully Markworth in the future) for us and there just weren't spots avail down back, where he was playing by far his best footy last year.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I liked Lynch, but personally, I think we did better with the picks. Same with Walsh. Siposs was probably ahead of either one up forward. We're not exactly struggling for tall defenders either. Bringing in some young players is very good for the club.

I'm a little surprised that Sanderson has Lynch playing forward. He's already got Walker and Tippett with Jacobs rucking. They've got Shaun McKernan as well and they've added Lynch and Lewis Johnstone. They've given up an awful lot of resources to get a bunch of forwards who can't all play at once. Callinan has to play and Porplyzia will as long as he's healthy. Kerridge looks to be a player too, although he doesn't have to play straight away. I thought they would have him running out of defence and rolling in front of talls.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:I thought they would have him running out of defence and rolling in front of talls.
Apparently they have quite a few options for that role as well, so he may find himself in the same position he was with us. All dressed up with nowhere to go.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.