Cripps, Siposs, Ledger and Simpkin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Cripps, Siposs, Ledger and Simpkin

Waters made a comment after the game that he was impressed with these four blokes.

When talking about round one selections he made this comment.

He said: "They're not walk up starts but ... they're in contention and they'll get a chance next week to go again," he said.

Reading between the lines I think these four (barring injury) will come into the team and at the expense of who knows?

I also think Stanley will get an immediate opportunity in round one. If nothing else but to assist Mac in the ruck.

I'm excited to see some changes to out team from the last few years. Hope they are up to it!

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-disp ... fit-165756

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cripps, Siposs, Ledger and Simpkin

Old Mate wrote:Waters made a comment after the game that he was impressed with these four blokes.

He said: "They're not walk up starts but ... they're in contention and they'll get a chance next week to go again," he said.

Reading between the lines I think these four (barring injury) will come into the team and the expense of who knows?

I also think Stanley will get an immediate opportunity in round one. If nothing else but to assist Mac in the ruck.

I'm excited to see some changes to out team from the last few years. Hope they are up to it!

I honestly can say I couldnt give a stuff if young or old guys play in round one as long as we win. I do know that to many young guys would be a huge mistake though. 5 guys under 10 games could be one or two to many.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:Waters made a comment after the game that he was impressed with these four blokes.

Reading between the lines I think these four (barring injury) will come into the team and at the expense of who knows?

The first 3 players will definitely be playing however unsure on Simpkin and I think he is rated a little too highly on this forum from what I have seen.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:

The first 3 players will definitely be playing however unsure on Simpkin and I think he is rated a little too highly on this forum from what I have seen.
I don't rate Simpkon highly however I think he's got some potential. From what I've seen he's ahead of other players he's competing for spots with eg. Wilkes and Blake.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Going to need more than 5 changes to last years preferred 22 if we're going to challenge again.

And they'll need to be quality changes.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
PJ
SS Life Member

Simpkin has been consistent and seems to have a pretty cool head. We're replacing Zac and Jimmy (temporarily) so I'd say he stands a good chance of selection - Blakey looks out of sorts at the moment but I wouldn't discount his level of experience.

Ledger is a cert but Cripps and Sipposs are probably only 50/50 dispite the fact they both look promising.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SaintSimmo
Club Player

Ledger will play round 1
I give Siposs about 80% chance
Cripps about 50% chance.
Simpkin is likely to be our fullback, and I thought he has been very solid during the pre season.
I'm interested to see if Wilkes will be in the side and where he will play, cause he hasn't done anything at all so far.

Sainter for life.
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Ledger and Cripps to play round 1. Cripps will probably displace raph at half back permanently by the end of the season. Ledger will do the same with Polo.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Am also very excited about our forward line since the mid 2000s. Stanley looked ok the other night, Sipposs could be something special and Shenton has a bit of mongrel about him - The sort of endeavour that Archer played with at the beginning of last year. I am a little concerned now for our defence for the first time in a long time. I think the resting ruckman or second tall forward may expose us. eg. Roughead (when he gets going), Cox, Hale, maybe Jolly etc etc).

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Bardon Saint wrote: I am a little concerned now for our defence for the first time in a long time. I think the resting ruckman or second tall forward may expose us. eg. Roughead (when he gets going), Cox, Hale, maybe Jolly etc etc).
Same here. In both the Sydney game and last night (when we had most of our best backline in, on both occasions) the likes of Sam Reid, Dean Cox and Darling marked overhead with ease, like we weren't even there, almost. If West Coast had had Kennedy and Lynch last night it could have been even worse. It's hard to see how we're going to stop anyone with good ability that's got a lot of height and strength. At least Zac was tall and quick.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
To the top
SS Life Member

The way you take pressure off your defence is to win the mid-field and have an efficient attack.

Simply, if the ball is constantly in your opponents forward half they are going to score - as we saw in our last game, the semi-final against Sydney.

So our rucking division has to give our mids first look - and our mids have to do the job from there, feeding our forwards and taking pots on goal themselves.

That way we force the opposition rucks to the section of the ground where they can not damage us.

If the tide is the other way, you not only have the opposition forwards getting opportunities but you have the opposition ruckmen able to drift forward looking to mark.

That brings us to the likes of Ledger and Cripps and what ball winning and ball usage skills they can bring to our mid-field rotations - and we do need to improve our mid-field rotations.

As all would know, I am a long, long way from being a fan of Riewoldt and Koschitzke then all smalls comprising our forward line - including smalls who can not contribute to mid-field rotations and lack defensive chase capacity.

This is where Siposs comes into focus. He is a mid sized forward who can also mark overhead and who can kick accurately for goal - so you can leave him forward allowing Riewoldt and Koschitzke higher as needs dictate. From there we can only afford one small forward inside the F50 being a rotating mid-field option who also has defensive chase capacities.

From what I have seen of Simpkin, I do not think he is a last line defender. I view his abilities as more suiting the outer defensive line - and only an adequate and honest trier at that.

I also wonder that we got rid of both Johnson and Cahill given the departure of (the adequate at best) Dawson and the unhealthy reliance on Riewoldt.

The damage caused to us in trial games (and trial games or not, you want to win) by opposition ruckmen going forward is of interest - because in 2011 the player who got the job and performed it most adequately was Clarke who gave away size but showed courage in the spoil including backing into the pack.

Gwilt did have the job until injured but was frequently out-marked in goal scoring areas.

I do not view Blake as the answer in any equation - he plays his best football when replicating Fisher as the spare defender, and Fisher is far, far superior.

No doubt there will be plenty of opportunity for players to put their hands up in 2012 - and I trust we find some who grasp that opportunity with both hands because that is life.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

resting rucks are going to hurt us. advantage of raph is his long arms mean is good at spoiling against guys much taller than him. zac was also very good at getting a fist in.

back to the OP. i really believe these 4 + stanley + winmar are our medium term future. if these 6 are good we will be ok. if not we are heading for the bottom hard and fast.

for round one. i wouldnt mind all 4 + stanley. i like cripps a lot. i like ledger and siposs although they both need work. and right now i think we have no choice but to play simpkin. so he gets the opportunity until gwilt comes back.

but if i can only have 1 youngster for round 1 - for me it is cripps.

he seems the most complete footballer of the lot. he is ahead of geary and quite possibly ahead of grammy. he looks fast & tough and can kick. hes fit and likes to tackle.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The way you take pressure off your defence is to win the mid-field and have an efficient attack.

Simply, if the ball is constantly in your opponents forward half they are going to score - as we saw in our last game, the semi-final against Sydney.

So our rucking division has to give our mids first look - and our mids have to do the job from there, feeding our forwards and taking pots on goal themselves.

That way we force the opposition rucks to the section of the ground where they can not damage us.

If the tide is the other way, you not only have the opposition forwards getting opportunities but you have the opposition ruckmen able to drift forward looking to mark.

That brings us to the likes of Ledger and Cripps and what ball winning and ball usage skills they can bring to our mid-field rotations - and we do need to improve our mid-field rotations.

As all would know, I am a long, long way from being a fan of Riewoldt and Koschitzke then all smalls comprising our forward line - including smalls who can not contribute to mid-field rotations and lack defensive chase capacity.

This is where Siposs comes into focus. He is a mid sized forward who can also mark overhead and who can kick accurately for goal - so you can leave him forward allowing Riewoldt and Koschitzke higher as needs dictate. From there we can only afford one small forward inside the F50 being a rotating mid-field option who also has defensive chase capacities.

From what I have seen of Simpkin, I do not think he is a last line defender. I view his abilities as more suiting the outer defensive line - and only an adequate and honest trier at that.

I also wonder that we got rid of both Johnson and Cahill given the departure of (the adequate at best) Dawson and the unhealthy reliance on Riewoldt.

The damage caused to us in trial games (and trial games or not, you want to win) by opposition ruckmen going forward is of interest - because in 2011 the player who got the job and performed it most adequately was Clarke who gave away size but showed courage in the spoil including backing into the pack.

Gwilt did have the job until injured but was frequently out-marked in goal scoring areas.

I do not view Blake as the answer in any equation - he plays his best football when replicating Fisher as the spare defender, and Fisher is far, far superior.

No doubt there will be plenty of opportunity for players to put their hands up in 2012 - and I trust we find some who grasp that opportunity with both hands because that is life.

You really do amaze me sometimes with deep understanding of the game but i am confused as to why Dawson was mentioned with Cahill and Johnson who both forward. Actually i wonder why Cahill was mentioned at all. # years at the club and not close to a game. He had to go. Johnson also just wasnt up to it either. you dont keep either f them because we rely on Rooy and Dawson left the club. And i again like your backhander to Milne and Schneider but didnt have the courage to mention them this time. I am amazed that you can see the pressure forwards put on from watching it on TV so I take it you went to WA. Was it hot there?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ledger is probably a certain starter round 1 as is Stanley. Saad is a chance if he plays and plays ok this week. Cripps is only a chance but I don't think Siposs is any chance. In fact, I really can't see the younger players outside this group including Aaryn playing more than 6-8 games. Seb Ross may force his way in at some stage and I reckon he would be the one who may make an immediate impact and may be hard to budge.
Last edited by SaintPav on Mon 12 Mar 2012 9:17am, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

It is important that new players are played, but just as important to me is the players that they replace. If overall skills are taken into consideration, particularly kicking, quite a few heroes of 2011 will not get many games in 2012 and beyond. Honestly, some of the kicking on Saturday night was under 10 level.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
To the top wrote:The way you take pressure off your defence is to win the mid-field and have an efficient attack.

You really do amaze me sometimes with deep understanding of the game but i am confused as to why Dawson was mentioned with Cahill and Johnson who both forward. Actually i wonder why Cahill was mentioned at all. # years at the club and not close to a game. He had to go. Johnson also just wasnt up to it either. you dont keep either f them because we rely on Rooy and Dawson left the club. And i again like your backhander to Milne and Schneider but didnt have the courage to mention them this time. I am amazed that you can see the pressure forwards put on from watching it on TV so I take it you went to WA. Was it hot there?
Thomo?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have a Cripps as a dead cert for round 1.

Gershwin
Club Player

It's not all about this year is it?

If Cripps, Siposs, Ledger, Simpkin and I'll add Stanley can improve through senior selection then I say we do it. If we lose some games because of it so be it but we must have a focus that is further than round 1 that Plugger is talking about.

This is a critical year for us and we must have more than a ''win the next game'' focus. Blooding new players while we still have Hayes, Riewoldt, Milne etc is really important. No more Blake, Clarke, Ray etc. for me.

summertime and the living is easy ........
StNoodles
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I have a Cripps as a dead cert for round 1.
+1

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:It's not all about this year is it?

If Cripps, Siposs, Ledger, Simpkin and I'll add Stanley can improve through senior selection then I say we do it. If we lose some games because of it so be it but we must have a focus that is further than round 1 that Plugger is talking about.

This is a critical year for us and we must have more than a ''win the next game'' focus. Blooding new players while we still have Hayes, Riewoldt, Milne etc is really important. No more Blake, Clarke, Ray etc. for me.
That depends if you genuinely think the Riewoldt, Hayes, Milnes, Fishers et al have enough in the tank to give you another flag shot.......at 32 next year Im doubtful on Riewoldt and Hayes will be Harvey old by then....

We're in a tough spot - were bridging a gap and trying be contenders.

A LOT really does come on to Armitage/Stevens in the middle this year. For Armitage he MUST cement his spot in 22 or others will fly past him. I think Stevens is ahead in this. Both these guys now have the games/experience to become v good AFL footballers....."bit" roles and inconsistency is no longer gonna cut it.

Goddard simply has to have another top year if we are tp challenge and Im not sure having him stuck down back all the time helps us score...

“Yeah….nah””
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Can't believe that people are questioning Cripps spot come round 1...

He would have to be a walk up start, he brings pace and skill to a backline that is severely lacking it.
Ledger should play, but we still have a pretty good midfield so it might be a bit harder for him.
I would also have Simpkin and Siposs in, Simpkin because he looks a better option than Wilkes and Siposs because he is just about the most promising player on our list, I see him as potentially elite (even though it's very early)

Hell I'd even give Saad a crack.

I know some people (pretty much only plugger) think that might be going a bit too young and inexperienced, but even if they don't do anything surely that can't be any worse than having guys like Dawson (even though I always rated him), Polo, Gram, Raph, McQualter, Eddy etc. that we've had the last few years.

It will be our top 10 players that win us games, if our bottom 6 can hold their own and continue to improve it can only be good.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Saad and Milera should also get a look in, shouldn't they?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Can't believe that people are questioning Cripps spot come round 1...

He would have to be a walk up start, he brings pace and skill to a backline that is severely lacking it.
Ledger should play, but we still have a pretty good midfield so it might be a bit harder for him.
I would also have Simpkin and Siposs in, Simpkin because he looks a better option than Wilkes and Siposs because he is just about the most promising player on our list, I see him as potentially elite (even though it's very early)

Hell I'd even give Saad a crack.

I know some people (pretty much only plugger) think that might be going a bit too young and inexperienced, but even if they don't do anything surely that can't be any worse than having guys like Dawson (even though I always rated him), Polo, Gram, Raph, McQualter, Eddy etc. that we've had the last few years.

It will be our top 10 players that win us games, if our bottom 6 can hold their own and continue to improve it can only be good.
cripps walk-up for me. if im only allowed one under-21 player - hed be my man.

i think milera and saad will get full games this week to push their cases.

To the top
SS Life Member

Players 190cm or taller on our list are McEvoy, Riewoldt, Gilbert, Koschitzke, Fisher, Dempster (who does not play "tall"), Stanley, Simpkin, Lever and Wilkes - with Staley, Archer and Ferguson on the Rookie List.

Only the first 5 named are walk up starts.

Of those 5, Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Fisher were all born in 1982 so they will be turning 30 this season.

So exactly where are our emerging KPP's and rucks?

No wonder all sides look to run their ruckmen forward against us - and no wonder it always stretches us.

And it is also no wonder that we can not give Riewoldt and Koschitzke the support they need so they are not double and triple teamed - and that sides run out of our attacking zone as if it is a training drill handballing to running support to go around our static mids standing in their way.

This is why I do not understand some of the list decisions.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

we are in deep shite on kpps from next year onwards. lets face it. its no secret.
i guess we cant get tom lynch back now.

on the rookie list we do have a fair bit of height to hope for:

ferguson = 194cm
staley = 194cm
archer = 193cm
dunnell = 190cm

if 2 of these guys can make it it will be a godsend.