Where is Nick Riewoldt?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TheSaint
Club Player

Re: Where is Nick Riewoldt?

mr six o'clock wrote:Where the F@#$ do all you people bagging nick get off !!!!!
okay , i know he's past his best , but he's still a club champion and due some respect !!!!
He had 10 contested possessions , 2 tackles , 2 goals , 2 goal assists , 6 inside 50s , 75% ball use effeciency ( ranked 7th however 4 of those players had less than 10 disposals , let alone contested disposals. )
If half the team could rack up these lousy figures , we'd be unbeatable !!!!
Spot on!

I haven't posted on here for a long time but reading the rubbish that some of you are carrying on about with Roo is absolute bullish*t..

Unfortunately Roo's performances are governed by the super levels he has reached over his career. No longer is he judged on his output for the team, but he is expected to be bloody superman based on previous form!!

Admittedly not his best game yesterday but still 16 Possessions (10 contested) & 2 goals from this so called 'washed up CHF' who gets second rate delivery...

That contested ball count is second only to Dal! In a game where we lost the contested ball count by 25. His inside 50 count is the most of any of our players!!...... What are the midfielders doing??

The talk that he can't run anymore is a joke. How many of you were at the game yesterday? The distance this bloke still covers to get to a contest is remarkable. If the other 21 blokes had Roo's work rate we wouldn't' be in the position we are currently in.

A lot of you on here need to pull your bloody heads in!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

TheSaint wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:Where the F@#$ do all you people bagging nick get off !!!!!
okay , i know he's past his best , but he's still a club champion and due some respect !!!!
He had 10 contested possessions , 2 tackles , 2 goals , 2 goal assists , 6 inside 50s , 75% ball use effeciency ( ranked 7th however 4 of those players had less than 10 disposals , let alone contested disposals. )
If half the team could rack up these lousy figures , we'd be unbeatable !!!!
Spot on!

I haven't posted on here for a long time but reading the rubbish that some of you are carrying on about with Roo is absolute bullish*t..

Unfortunately Roo's performances are governed by the super levels he has reached over his career. No longer is he judged on his output for the team, but he is expected to be bloody superman based on previous form!!

Admittedly not his best game yesterday but still 16 Possessions (10 contested) & 2 goals from this so called 'washed up CHF' who gets second rate delivery...

That contested ball count is second only to Dal! In a game where we lost the contested ball count by 25. His inside 50 count is the most of any of our players!!...... What are the midfielders doing??

The talk that he can't run anymore is a joke. How many of you were at the game yesterday? The distance this bloke still covers to get to a contest is remarkable. If the other 21 blokes had Roo's work rate we wouldn't' be in the position we are currently in.

A lot of you on here need to pull your bloody heads in!!
Yep.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Clearly it is a select few that are posting Unknowledgable opinions.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
stkildajason3votes wrote:Legend of the club. Champion of the game. its sad to see bad supply and himself fumble the ball. Who can replace him? Maybe a few more years at CHB might prolong his career.
changin position wont help.
he has degenerative knees.
tendons can heal - but you cant re grow cartilage.
so his knees are much worse than lennys.

But you do not know any of that. His legs have little to do with how he is playing. He was pretty good yesterday anyway. the game has changed and he is getting older so he is finding it hard to play to a previous standard. Anyway it matters little. He is still one of our better players.
+1.

He is still a good player. Probably a B+ type at the moment. He is still outstanding in the contest at ground level and covers ground well.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Who replaces this obviously seconds player?
this is probably the only pertinent question in the whole thread.

no matter how he's going - and he's obviously not the player that won us prelims in 2009 and 2010 - you can't take him out of the team unless you put someone in his place. and then someone else in that player's place. etc. (i'm ignoring the chb stuff because it will never happen.)

so who do you replace him with?

archer - is he a better chf than a reduced riewoldt? wilkes? siposs playing very tall? dunell somehow promoted to the senior list? gilbert to chf - but he can't kick? simpkin to be turned into a chf somehow? goddard to chf at 189cm? sam fisher? staley? lever? sammy hamill?

feel free to bag his performance but unless you can find someone to replace him there's not a lot of point dropping him.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Not sure anybody said drop him.
I've argued we lower our expectations, and maybe try him up the ground and try a different forward structure.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Got to beat you opponent to be considered even break even.....

N.dal santo....easily. 8
B.goddard......used the ball well 29 times. 7
J.steven.....at least won the footy. 6
J.blake.......held butcher to nothing, played ok himself. 6
J.geary......run from defense,mbroke even with opponent. 6.
L.Hayes.....defensively a good game, 11 tackles, contested possessions. 5
Fisher.......OK. 5
Milera.......Positive. 5
Polo.........held Pearce. 5
B.MCEvoy......broke even in the Ruck, which was disappointing, but still did a bit. 4.5
N.Riewoldt.....struggled one on one ans was beaten did some ok ground level efforts, missed a critical goal, only 6 marks. 4
S.Dempster.....held his his opponent mostly. 4
Gilbert, Milne, Stanley 3.5
Peake, Kosi, Jones. 3
Cripps, Armitage, montagna 2
Ray. 1

Have him 11th or thereabouts ...... Funny his output was pretty similar to last years games.....half a dozen marks, couple of goals...15 odd touches as our number one target.... And he finished around tenth or so in the b&f

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well he finished 8th in our b & f in 2011. That is a reasonable guage.

So thats where he is at.

But given his age he is on the slide. Probably our 10th best player now

Which means hes not in any risk of being dropped. No shame in being the 10th best player at your club after a stellar career being a geniune champ.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

if a literal interpretation is to be taken to this question.

then he is probably at pluggers house watching a dvd or playing foosball.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Got to beat you opponent to be considered even break even.....

N.dal santo....easily. 8
B.goddard......used the ball well 29 times. 7
J.steven.....at least won the footy. 6
J.blake.......held butcher to nothing, played ok himself. 6
J.geary......run from defense,mbroke even with opponent. 6.
L.Hayes.....defensively a good game, 11 tackles, contested possessions. 5
Fisher.......OK. 5
Milera.......Positive. 5
Polo.........held Pearce. 5
B.MCEvoy......broke even in the Ruck, which was disappointing, but still did a bit. 4.5
N.Riewoldt.....struggled one on one ans was beaten did some ok ground level efforts, missed a critical goal, only 6 marks. 4
S.Dempster.....held his his opponent mostly. 4
Gilbert, Milne, Stanley 3.5
Peake, Kosi, Jones. 3
Cripps, Armitage, montagna 2
Ray. 1

Have him 11th or thereabouts ...... Funny his output was pretty similar to last years games.....half a dozen marks, couple of goals...15 odd touches as our number one target.... And he finished around tenth or so in the b&f

Hey brownlow how can we take you seriously when you have Polo ahead of him. I would have had him ahead of lenny as well probably Fisher Geary and Blake and around Bens psotion. I actually would have had Dempster higher. I thought he was pretty good. My point is I thought he was around the top 6 and you didnt. So what it is only an opinion unless of course you are the name of the new Brownlow medal.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Being at the game, I thought Rooey played his guts out and went in harder at contests than almost any other player. No wonder he struggled to get up a few times. Port gang tackled fairly effectively, but Rooey kept going regardless an put his body on the line always.

If you knock that sort of effort then just f off and support Richmond.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Being at the game, I thought Rooey played his guts out and went in harder at contests than almost any other player. No wonder he struggled to get up a few times. Port gang tackled fairly effectively, but Rooey kept going regardless an put his body on the line always.

Good to get an opinion of someone who can see the whole ground. Was he moving OK before getting a few knocks and did you think he played well?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do you actually take any note of the players role, or who their opponent is???

Danyle Pearce 9 possessions, 35 DT points....as I said, beat your opponent....break even. He did his job.

Nick did not beat his man, and was out pointed one on one a dozen times, these are fwd entries that rebounded... Not sure you even know the game???

Thanks for the nickname....it's HILARIOUS....keep using it and it will stick, NOT....you're just making a TOOL out of yourself. When you struggle for a reply, use the old chestnut....not relevant to argument, but will help attack credibility, which is your go..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Do you actually take any note of the players role, or who their opponent is???

Danyle Pearce 9 possessions, 35 DT points....as I said, beat your opponent....break even. He did his job.

Nick did not beat his man, and was out pointed one on one a dozen times, these are fwd entries that rebounded... Not sure you even know the game???

Thanks for the nickname....it's HILARIOUS....keep using it and it will stick, NOT....you're just making a TOOL out of yourself. When you struggle for a reply, use the old chestnut....not relevant to argument, but will help attack credibility, which is your go..

Dream team points now. Rooy was third for us Chaplain 11th for them. Is that now the end of the discussion Brownlow? And as I said it was my opinion and you attacked my opinion.It looks like I am right as you brought a dreamteam to try and win one discussion but you now lost the other. The main discussion.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

2 questions

How did you rate Pearce's game.....since you bought Polo into it

Do you think Nick Reiwoldt was a good target as a marking fwd.....did he take One contested mark inside 50, and did he get out marked??

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:The real argument about Roo should be about how many bad games he is allowed before he is dropped.

Last year the argument was that he should be afforded the luxury of having a bad game or two because he was a champion.

Then the next argument was about who do you replace him with if he is dropped.

Check mate!

Same problem. Only difference is about one year.

If we are working on that theory then he should be treated like any other player and not on previous form. If he was just any other player then he had a average to good game yesterday so he is no where near being dropped. Even if he was luckily people do look at previous form and give the champs more time than others.

Exactly right!

Did Roo snub your autograph at the airport one day Cairnsman? Some of your posts regarding him are bewildering to the say the least. A poor game by Roo is equivalent to a passable game by almost every player on our list. This crap about 'Roo needs to get over himself' What's that? You reckon he's hasn't played a decent game since 2009? Well he was BOG in the first 2 games of 2010 before ripping his hammy. He was also BOG in the prelim final in 2010, as well as tearing Harry Taylor a new one in the qualifying final the same year. No player has given more to this club in the past 10 years, and your comments are ignorant at best. If Roo continued yesterdays form for the next 2 years he wouldn't be half the player he was, but he still would be a more than competent CHF. Am I missing something? Is there a young Wayne Carey waiting in the wings whose spot Roo is taking? Wait till he misses a few games, (hopefully he doesn't) and then get back to us about how useless he is :roll:
Dry your eyes princess! I know it can be tough when your favourite action hero is under siege. But seriously what a load of horse dung you speak when you say that a poor game by Roo is equivalent to a passable game by almost every player on our list. I reject that completely in the context of where the team is at right now. If we are in rebuild mode then there should not be one player getting a game because of how he performed a couple of years ago. And if there isn't a player coming through the ranks to put pressure on one of the most important positions that is CHF then our rebuild is going to take muuuuuuuuuuch longer. Like Lyon said last year, we need to find some money in the cupboard to buy a forward because the reality is Roo was part of an era that has passed us by.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Like Lyon said last year, we need to find some money in the cupboard to buy a forward because the reality is Roo was part of an era that has passed us by.
I think he actually said "Freo has to find some money in the cupboard so I can move forward" :P

Gershwin
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well he finished 8th in our b & f in 2011. That is a reasonable guage.

So thats where he is at.

Which means hes not in any risk of being dropped. No shame in being the 10th best player at your club after a stellar career being a geniune champ.
Can't accept this at all.
Riewoldt plays in the hardest position on the ground, runs his guts out to provide a target, is often up against more than one opponent and does this for the team. It is a team game and if he can enable the team to win without being the player with the best stats then credit to him.
Who are the 9 better players? McEvoy, Schneider, Dempster ???

summertime and the living is easy ........
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Yeah and sooks when things get tough !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The difference in the side Watters is inheriting as opposed to the side Lyon inherited is that in 2007 Roo was easily rated as one of the top 3 if not THE BEST player in the AFL!! Guys like Lenny and Kosi, BJ, Chips and Dal and Milne were all on an upward trajectory back in 2007. The players that came into the 07/08 sides had fantastic role models to learn from including a dual brownlow medalist...How could you not learn if you were training with and playing next to Banger??!! Our B and C graders like peaky, gram and ray may have also played their best footy. We are being weighed down by a lack of development in the last five years and people need to cut Roo some slack. Roo will not captain the Saints in 2013 imo, but he is probably still the best candidate this year. I think there's a few fans looking to vent!! Sure, the team isn't what it used to be...but who do you think we should be pointed fingers towards? It's certainly not Roo!!!

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

older saint wrote:Love to see him move to CHB. He goes for marks at the highest point however this leaves him exposed to being worked under the ball from below the waist.
Look at someone like Cloke or Kosi they mark in front of their eyes, which means better balance and harder to push from below the waist out, roo gets highest point meaning the base is less stable.

Move the CHB, can run like a gazel still and less likely to be moved under the ball.

Gilbert forward as he cant kick well eoungh for a back now.
Also, his footskills out of the backline (his field kicking is excellent) would be invaluable.

older saint
SS Life Member

Roo is a champion and history supports this , however unfortunatley the game and our skill level has changed and for his long term future CHB may be the best option.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Being at the game, I thought Rooey played his guts out and went in harder at contests than almost any other player. No wonder he struggled to get up a few times. Port gang tackled fairly effectively, but Rooey kept going regardless an put his body on the line always.

Give this man a slab.

Extraordinarily illconceived hostility on here.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Moods wrote:
Did Roo snub your autograph at the airport one day Cairnsman? Some of your posts regarding him are bewildering to the say the least. A poor game by Roo is equivalent to a passable game by almost every player on our list. This crap about 'Roo needs to get over himself' What's that? You reckon he's hasn't played a decent game since 2009? Well he was BOG in the first 2 games of 2010 before ripping his hammy. He was also BOG in the prelim final in 2010, as well as tearing Harry Taylor a new one in the qualifying final the same year. No player has given more to this club in the past 10 years, and your comments are ignorant at best. If Roo continued yesterdays form for the next 2 years he wouldn't be half the player he was, but he still would be a more than competent CHF. Am I missing something? Is there a young Wayne Carey waiting in the wings whose spot Roo is taking? Wait till he misses a few games, (hopefully he doesn't) and then get back to us about how useless he is :roll:
Dry your eyes princess! I know it can be tough when your favourite action hero is under siege. But seriously what a load of horse dung you speak when you say that a poor game by Roo is equivalent to a passable game by almost every player on our list. I reject that completely in the context of where the team is at right now. If we are in rebuild mode then there should not be one player getting a game because of how he performed a couple of years ago. And if there isn't a player coming through the ranks to put pressure on one of the most important positions that is CHF then our rebuild is going to take muuuuuuuuuuch longer. Like Lyon said last year, we need to find some money in the cupboard to buy a forward because the reality is Roo was part of an era that has passed us by.

Who said anything about giving him a game because of what he did last year? Or any other year? YOU'RE the one basing your opinion of him on what he has done in the past comparing it to what he does now. I'm the one saying that sure, he's not as good as what he once was (the best player in the comp) but talk of dropping him smacks of stupidity, b/c he still more than earns his keep for the position that he plays.

Og course I love what he has done for this club in the past - but only a fool would keep giving him a game based on that. When he starts getting under 10 possessions a game and nil goals (which I think was Archer's last effort at CHF) then I will start questioning his position in the team. How about YOU start looking at him objectively. I think it is YOU that has stars in your eyes and have thrown the baby out with the bath water re Roo, b/c he no longer plays at the incredible standard he set for so long.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Well he finished 8th in our b & f in 2011. That is a reasonable guage.

So thats where he is at.

Can't accept this at all.
Riewoldt plays in the hardest position on the ground, runs his guts out to provide a target, is often up against more than one opponent and does this for the team. It is a team game and if he can enable the team to win without being the player with the best stats then credit to him.
Who are the 9 better players? McEvoy, Schneider, Dempster ???

true. hes still top 4.
but atm - i rate nds as our number 1.