Changes next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Re: Changes next week

The Dogs are a bigger, stronger side than the Suns, so Polo in.
I liked Leger's attack on the ball when he came on, so he stays.
Newnes was better than Crippsy who will miss out.
With Stanley, Kosi and Rooey playing well, makes it difficult for Wilkes to come in, but as he can play back and forward, Wilkes a chance as sub. :?:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:The Dogs are a bigger, stronger side than the Suns, so Polo in.
I liked Leger's attack on the ball when he came on, so he stays.
Newnes was better than Crippsy who will miss out.
With Stanley, Kosi and Rooey playing well, makes it difficult for Wilkes to come in, but as he can play back and forward, Wilkes a chance as sub. :?:

Sub should always be a mid IMO so i doubt it. Cripps could be the only one dropped but I would like the same side. lets see if a few of these guys a good enough. I refuse to take much notice of the game yesterday but the WB will be a good test.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

You are probably right Plugger. Perhaps Peake's experience, pace, bigger size, may get him in as sub next week over Cripps ?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

No change

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

IN
Gram,Polo
OUTS
not sure at this stage Id like newnes to stay in but unlikely...

spert
Saintsational Legend

Watters is still not happy with clearance work, from his wrap up last night so I reckon he will keep working on the midfield and onballers. Considering the poor opposition last night, I would have been a lot happier if our mids and onballers had have done just a little bit better and run a bit harder. Happy with CJ in the third quarter- he put in a big effort and got us rolling. In and outs? I think Wilkes might come in for a bit more bulk in the forward line and free up Kosi to around the ground, possibly Cripps out, as he still looks another season off yet IMO.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote: Dal was a scapegoat when dropped by Lyon. He was filthy with the decision and I understand that until this day believes it was a joke. he was average at Casey and got promoted again straight away anyway, his performance did not change much from then on. Miley was in bad nick, and a run in the twos benefitted him as he kicked 8 and got some confidence back.
It appeared to have a fantastic effect on the team, though and that is what's most important, as it made a hell of a big statement and as a team we stepped it up several notches from that game on.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:
Buckets wrote: Anyone know how Seb went today?
Seb struggled for Sandy. Not sure where Wilkes is getting a game with Roo, Kosi, Stanley & Macca all kicking goal(s).

I wonder if Farren is a chance against old side? Doubtful on form but the Doggies game maybe a slight reason for promotion.
erm, .why exactly?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Cripps is stuggling. His few dribbling goals last year as a sub got some of us too excited I think. His decision making, kicking and attack on the ball still need some work IMO. He has hardly played at VFL level really. I think he needs some weeks down there to get a few things sorted, and get some confidence. Not saying he wont make it, but just that he's not quite ready yet.

I see Ledger well ahead of him. Don't really understand why he is getting less time. But I am not the coach.

8856brother I agree with you. Needs to learn to hold a tackle too. Although I'd keep the same side as it is. See if the same side can improve.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Joey is in our top 6 players, in the leadership group.....will not be dropped.

Dal was a scapegoat when dropped by Lyon. He was filthy with the decision and I understand that until this day believes it was a joke. he was average at Casey and got promoted again straight away anyway, his performance did not change much from then on. Miley was in bad nick, and a run in the twos benefitted him as he kicked 8 and got some confidence back.
surely this can't be right...
if he was to be promoted from Casey, surely as per plugger. he had 50+ possessions and kicked 3 goals because only players that consistently show they are great are worthy of promotion

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Newnes ran out of puff yesterday by the look of it (just 2 possies in the 2nd half) and Cripps had just 6 possessions in about 95 minutes of footy, so I'm happy that they got to have full games against a team like Gold Coast, but now we need to get more serious and at best one of them probably needs to start as the "sub" and the other one needs to be subbed off for them, unless they're doing particularly well, or someone else is injured. Certainly wouldn't have them both starting next week, I don't imagine.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Hopefully they don't drop Newnes. That was my criticism of Lyon throughout - finally blooding a player then dropping him after one match.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I know it wouldn't be ideal to remove their speed and skill and replace it with less of both, but if Polo is to come in, I also wouldn't mind if we brought in Wilkes (if he's really been going very well in the VFL) as well, (for Cripps and Newnes) just so that we can see how Wilkes goes up forward, now that he's in good form. I wouldn't usually suggest someone like him for the green jacket, but maybe Wilkes could start as the "sub", so that we can just have a look at him for a portion of the match and maybe sub someone tall like Kosi (who often starts games well and then drifts right out of them), or Blake, or Simpkin, or whoever isn't going all that well in the match, off for him. That way we would keep the same tall/small balance, as long as no-one else gets injured for the match and it would let us have another look at Wilkes.
I'm certainly not sold on the idea, but if it happened to occur I wouldn't have a problem with it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hayes, Riewoldt, Kosi, Blake, Fisher, Dal, McEvoy, Gilbert have all played better football than they did yesterday, not sure why we would single Montagna out to be dropped from a side that has won by 92 points… he had exactly the same stats as Lenny, but everyone seems to be able to tell that he is just not trying that hard :roll:

If we are bringing in Polo for Montagna, we may as well bring back Cahil for Riewoldt too… fair dinkum.

Carry on though…

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We have lots of good young talent to rotate through the seniors this year in order to blood them...give them experience etc etc... Saad, Ross etc all waiting for a taste.

The Sub spot is also ideal for allowing some to be given a taste who might not last a full game yet at the intensity required.

So no sin in say spelling Cripps after two ok but quiet games. Either as sub or at Sandy.
Ledger would look set for a full game.

I also like the idea of not overloading young bodies with too many games. Ball anyone??
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 09 Apr 2012 3:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The youngsters will no doubt need a rest or will have bumps and bruises that may force the coaching staff to rule them out.... at some stage...but I don't think Scott should drop them for next week. We don't need to give Polo or Ray or Peaky games for the sake of it...The younger blokes are going to have to play a part in our future success. We have to get games into the younger blokes if we want the club to improve and Newness and Cripper and Simpkin shouldn't be dropped. We may not need all our talls against the Doggies but we'll definitely need them all against the Dockers.

Plus...we need to manage some older blokes. I reckon it'll be a mistake to play them every round for the first 10-11 rounds of home and away. Also we've got 3 weeks in a row at Etihad and it's widely acknowledged that its a drier less cushiony surface than most grounds around Australia. If we do play Lenny, Kosi and Roo for 3 gamesin a row at Etihad then one or two of these blokes need to give their knees and joints a rest in Rnd 5 against the Demons.

PJ
SS Life Member

In: Polo
Out: Cripps

Sub: Newnes

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Hayes, Riewoldt, Kosi, Blake, Fisher, Dal, McEvoy, Gilbert have all played better football than they did yesterday, not sure why we would single Montagna out to be dropped from a side that has won by 92 points… he had exactly the same stats as Lenny, but everyone seems to be able to tell that he is just not trying that hard :roll:

If we are bringing in Polo for Montagna, we may as well bring back Cahil for Riewoldt too… fair dinkum.

Carry on though…

I want Joey dropped for stuffing my dream team up. Made him captain week one and kept him in week 2 if I trade him out he will get 145 points.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:Hayes, Riewoldt, Kosi, Blake, Fisher, Dal, McEvoy, Gilbert have all played better football than they did yesterday, not sure why we would single Montagna out to be dropped from a side that has won by 92 points… he had exactly the same stats as Lenny, but everyone seems to be able to tell that he is just not trying that hard :roll:
I'm certainly not saying he wasn't trying and if he's coming off an injury we're not aware of then it's of course perfectly fair enough that he's had a slow start, but if you're going to be rolling your eyes you might want to be bit more accurate. You seem to be suggesting that those critical of Joey are going on just yesterday's game, but I dare say they are also going by the very quiet 16 possession game he had the week before and the other quiet games he had in the lead-up.
And to compare his game yesterday to Lenny's is a bit of a joke. I'm not sure if you were there, but Lenny was fantastic when the game was "up for grabs" in the first half and into the 3rd, while at that same time Joey had barely been sighted. With mission accomplished for Lenny (us in a dominant position and running away with it) he quietened off a bit and with the heat out of the game and kicks much easier to come by, that's when Joey got most of his possies.
I'm certainly not advocating that he ought to be out of the side for next week and I hope he ran himself into a bit of form when the game was done and dusted yesterday, but when the two games so far were up for grabs and the contest was fierce, Joey was hardly sighted, so I don't think it's unreasonable for some to be asking a few questions.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
I'm certainly not saying he wasn't trying and if he's coming off an injury we're not aware of then it's of course perfectly fair enough that he's had a slow start, but if you're going to be rolling your eyes you might want to be bit more accurate. You seem to be suggesting that those critical of Joey are going on just yesterday's game, but I dare say they are also going by the very quiet 16 possession game he had the week before and the other quiet games he had in the lead-up.
And to compare his game yesterday to Lenny's is a bit of a joke. I'm not sure if you were there, but Lenny was fantastic when the game was "up for grabs" in the first half and into the 3rd, while at that same time Joey had barely been sighted. With mission accomplished for Lenny (us in a dominant position and running away with it) he quietened off a bit and with the heat out of the game and kicks much easier to come by, that's when Joey got most of his possies.
I'm certainly not advocating that he ought to be out of the side for next week and I hope he ran himself into a bit of form when the game was done and dusted yesterday, but when the two games so far were up for grabs and the contest was fierce, Joey was hardly sighted, so I don't think it's unreasonable for some to be asking a few questions.
Very good post!

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

gringo wrote:

Carry on though…

I want Joey dropped for stuffing my dream team up. Made him captain week one and kept him in week 2 if I trade him out he will get 145 points.
Worried he's concentrating more on his media career, than his footy ATM .

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I know it wouldn't be ideal to remove their speed and skill and replace it with less of both, but if Polo is to come in, I also wouldn't mind if we brought in Wilkes (if he's really been going very well in the VFL) as well, (for Cripps and Newnes) just so that we can see how Wilkes goes up forward, now that he's in good form. I wouldn't usually suggest someone like him for the green jacket, but maybe Wilkes could start as the "sub", so that we can just have a look at him for a portion of the match and maybe sub someone tall like Kosi (who often starts games well and then drifts right out of them), or Blake, or Simpkin, or whoever isn't going all that well in the match, off for him. That way we would keep the same tall/small balance, as long as no-one else gets injured for the match and it would let us have another look at Wilkes.
I'm certainly not sold on the idea, but if it happened to occur I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Havent you been one to say we dont play enough young guys. And than you suggest Wilkes as Sub. Why would any club have KPP as sub? And please tell me the mention of even looking at dropping Joey is an April fools day joke.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I know it wouldn't be ideal to remove their speed and skill and replace it with less of both, but if Polo is to come in, I also wouldn't mind if we brought in Wilkes (if he's really been going very well in the VFL) as well, (for Cripps and Newnes) just so that we can see how Wilkes goes up forward, now that he's in good form. I wouldn't usually suggest someone like him for the green jacket, but maybe Wilkes could start as the "sub", so that we can just have a look at him for a portion of the match and maybe sub someone tall like Kosi (who often starts games well and then drifts right out of them), or Blake, or Simpkin, or whoever isn't going all that well in the match, off for him. That way we would keep the same tall/small balance, as long as no-one else gets injured for the match and it would let us have another look at Wilkes.

Havent you been one to say we dont play enough young guys. And than you suggest Wilkes as Sub. Why would any club have KPP as sub? And please tell me the mention of even looking at dropping Joey is an April fools day joke.
There's no way he'd ever get dropped, but a good kick up the backside might do some good.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

There's no way he'd ever get dropped, but a good kick up the backside might do some good.

But we have no idea if that has or hasnt happened and his game last night was pretty good anyway. He has had one poor game and one average game. Surely that is ok.