ANZAC Day Footy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: ANZAC Day Footy

I don't see a huge difference in attendances...

Ess v pies would get 70 k normally, maybe 90 k on Anzac day

Melb v saints would normally get around 30 k maybe 50 k if played standalone on Anzac day...

Roughly the same amount of people go to the footy regardless, the big difference is that 2 clubs gets all of the exposure and cash every year.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

The opening is PC gone utterly mad. I do not care where the young girl is from and why she is wearing what she is wearing. She is a proud Australian and that is that.

If we were actually accepting of all in sundry she would not need to tell anyone that she is from Egypt etc.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

How is the Bruce commentary today BTW...

'Brown back for his first game, who can forget his game on Nick Riewoldt in the GF'

'Oh, a strange bounce near the goal, I remember the last time the ball bounced that way at the G...wan't it in a grand final against the Saints'

'Bad miss by Goldsack, he didn't miss that day in the GF replay v the Saints when he kicked the first goal'

Ugh!

GSG
Club Player

Re:

[quote="
May have been if it was us and the pies this week the way we are going. But really my point is if it was say North and Melbourne playing the crowd would be lucky to 40,000 and the build up wouldnt be anywhere as big as there is rivalry between those 2 clubs.[/quote]

That is where you missing the point (as usual) ANZAC day should have NOTHING to do with dollars. North Melbourne, the Bulldogs, Hawks, Saints, etc. etc. all have their ANZACs, but they're deprived to see their team play on ANZAC day because of some misguided believe that it belongs to Essendon and Collingwood...... mainly because of the money. It's simply very very sad for all relatives of other ANZACS.

I'm disgusted in myself, as I swore to myself never to respond to any or your posts, but, hell, this needs to be said.

darylcowie
Club Player

The solution to who should be playing on Anzac Day lies in a total revamp of the draw to make this day highly prestigious to play on for the two best teams at this time of the year.

How do we determine who those teams are?

We could assume that the two grand finalists from the previous year will still be in form at this time, but the pies and pussies are both in danger of falling off their lofty perches this year (particularly the latter).

So, why not hold the NAB Cup throughout April, culminating in a glorious Grand Final on Anzac Day at the MCG?

This would be a great lead in to the season proper, which would then become a far less lopsided affair over 18 weeks (including the usual mid-season bye at the end of June) with every team playing each other once.

This would kill two birds with one stone, creating far more interest in the NAB Cup and evening out the draw for the season proper.

I know it will never happen in the corporate environment that the AFL lives in, because it makes far too much sense (as opposed to dollars)!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!