Let's play like it's 1992!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Majority
Club Player

BURKE'S LAW – NATHAN BURKE

In 20 years the game has changed markedly – and not all for the better.

WHEN you get 30 minutes free computer time this week, jump on to YouTube and type in AFL 1992.
I did just that and chose the 1992 second elimination final between St Kilda and Collingwood played at a wet and windy Waverley Park.
Now for some of us this is considered the good old days of football, while for others it may be a brand new football experience.
Whichever set of eyes you are watching the game through, I guarantee you will find it fascinating.
I watched the last quarter of the game, which was played in front of nearly 85,000 spectators, on a day when "Arctic Park" lived up to its reputation.
The Saints crept out to a three-goal lead courtesy of a Craig Davenport long bomb shortly into that last quarter.
From there it was an arm wrestle as a fast finishing Collingwood, mainly through Ron McKeon's play at full forward, slowly ate into the lead.
It was fascinating to watch Tony Lockett battle Gary Pert in the goal square, watch Rob Harvey and Mick McGuane slice through the middle, and see the respective centre half forwards in Stewart Loewe and Gavin Brown break packs with enormous courage.
For lovers of good forwards you won't see a better performance than Loewe's 27-possession, 13-mark and two-goal game in atrocious conditions.
It was a master class in how to attack and mark a wet football.
Without prejudice I don't think there is a forward in the game today who could clunk the ball like he did on that wet and windy day.

For the rest, use the link.
http://www.insidefootballonline.com/burke.html

Here is the highlights video of the game

Here is the last quarter

mcadam05
Club Player

Re: Let's play like it's 1992!

i to just watched the last 1/4 and the Burke smother at the 23mark Sums him up to a tee

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Are you sure it was played at Waveley? Pretty sure that was at the MCG, and we played the Bulldogs the following week at Waveley. (and were sadly beaten. The highlight of that day was probably the most spectacular mark Plugger ever took)

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

TriColourDisciple wrote:Are you sure it was played at Waveley? Pretty sure that was at the MCG, and we played the Bulldogs the following week at Waveley. (and were sadly beaten. The highlight of that day was probably the most spectacular mark Plugger ever took)

I think that mark cost us the game. Plugger really hurt himself when he hit the ground. We were right behind it and our seats shook.

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

*Waverley ...It's been so long, I've forgotten how to spell it!

I was on the wing that miserable day. You're right, after he hit the ground, he wasn't the same for the rest of the game.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

TriColourDisciple wrote:Are you sure it was played at Waveley? Pretty sure that was at the MCG, and we played the Bulldogs the following week at Waveley. (and were sadly beaten. The highlight of that day was probably the most spectacular mark Plugger ever took)
Definately Waverly. First finals win I had experienced. The next week was really windy against the dogs at the same venue. Plugger takes a hanger but the game was over at quarter time.

Football in the 90s was how it should be played. One of the best games I saw live wasn't even a saints game. Ess v Geel at the MCG. Ablett 14 goals and Salmon kicked 10 in 1993. As for that finals win against Collingwood in 1992 they finish 3rd but equal top on percentage, where as we just snuck into 6th place. Beating them on that day was awesome and knocking them straight out of the finals! They're supporters were going nuts on talk balk radio!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Football in the 90s was how it should be played. One of the best games I saw live wasn't even a saints game. Ess v Geel at the MCG. Ablett 14 goals and Salmon kicked 10 in 1993. As for that finals win against Collingwood in 1992 they finish 3rd but equal top on percentage, where as we just snuck into 6th place. Beating them on that day was awesome and knocking them straight out of the finals! They're supporters were going nuts on talk balk radio!
Their win over us in 2010 gf2 was their first finals win over us since the semi in 66 when they beat us by 10 points. Or finals since then against the Pies are as follows

66 gf Win
72 sf Win
92 ef Win
08 sf Win
09 qf Win
10 gf1 Draw
10 gf2 Lose

We picked a bad time to end our run of beating them in finals. They hadn't beaten us in 6 attempts.

Means nothing I suppose. But it hurts. :cry:

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Football in the 90s was how it should be played. One of the best games I saw live wasn't even a saints game. Ess v Geel at the MCG. Ablett 14 goals and Salmon kicked 10 in 1993. As for that finals win against Collingwood in 1992 they finish 3rd but equal top on percentage, where as we just snuck into 6th place. Beating them on that day was awesome and knocking them straight out of the finals! They're supporters were going nuts on talk balk radio!
Their win over us in 2010 gf2 was their first finals win over us since the semi in 66 when they beat us by 10 points. Or finals since then against the Pies are as follows

66 gf Win
72 sf Win
92 ef Win
08 sf Win
09 qf Win
10 gf1 Draw
10 gf2 Lose

We picked a bad time to end our run of beating them in finals. They hadn't beaten us in 6 attempts.

Build a bridge........it's gone....for sometime as well

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
8856brother wrote:

66 gf Win
72 sf Win
92 ef Win
08 sf Win
09 qf Win
10 gf1 Draw
10 gf2 Lose

Just a comment Bob. Thought it was interesting. You obviously don't. No bridge to build for me champ. I've been dealing with it for 40 years. Thanks for your concern. :roll:

Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
8856brother wrote:
R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:

66 gf Win
72 sf Win
92 ef Win
08 sf Win
09 qf Win
10 gf1 Draw
10 gf2 Lose

Just a comment Bob. Thought it was interesting. You obviously don't. No bridge to build for me champ. I've been dealing with it for 40 years. Thanks for your concern. :roll:
I'm not really that concerned.... :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

That is a great article by Burkey, agree wholeheartedly about current state of uber-technical rule interpretation and the way it impacts on how the game is played. Would be much better if they were more lenient and just paid major infringements that have an actual impact on the contest rather than scour for tiggy touchwood infractions as they currently do - would just take a change of umpire mindset but will never happen...

And the scenario now where a player on the ground can just burrow his head into a stationary player's legs and draw a free is a blight on the game...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Winmar
Club Player

Well said, Burkey. I prefer the way the game was played back then too. 1992 was a brilliant year. That Collingwood final was one of the best days of my St Kilda supporting life.