Round 8 Team v WCE - Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Re: Round 8 Team v WCE

Final team bench will be Armo, Wilkes, Ray and Sippos

No change.

Sub to be Sippo again.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gilbert lowered his colors last week to A.Walker. He was shocking really, he has struggled since 2010.
I thought on the night he and Wilkes were standout poor. On reviewing the replay Gringo (I think) was right when he referred to Wilkes' toil as a role playing, space creating forward. And as for Gilbert, I don't think he was really that bad. There was one horrible clanger of the time we've almost come to expect of him when he just seemed to doubt first instincts and ended up dribbling a grubber in a crap spot, but other than that he ran and harassed and toiled pretty manfully. Yes, he was beaten (on balance), but geez he worked. His form's not great, but he's slaving his guts out. It'll turn soon enough. He's nowhere near deserving the kind of flogging he's copping on here lately.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Dont be surprised if Gwilt is'nt given another week at Sandy.
On facebook they've said 'return of the Gwilt?' as opposed to the big ta-do about 'Ray of Light' when Faz returned.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:whens the team fly out?
As soon as the plane takes off..

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Ledger yet again???
I guess Siposs, Cripps, Newnes and Wilkes are showing more. :roll:

Wonder whether he would make a squad of 30. He would probably lose out to Crocker for that 30th spot.

Real story please. Somebody? Not the crap I keep reading.

bobmurray wrote:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Ledger yet again???

Wonder whether he would make a squad of 30. He would probably lose out to Crocker for that 30th spot.

I guess Hayes, Armo, Steven, Jones, Joey, Dal are showing more?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

What's your point K? Did I suggest he should come in for any of the players you have mentioned.

Don't you think he can play a similar role Cripps and Siposs have played for us this year? IMO he deserves his chance. Something smells.

Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
To the top
SS Life Member

The focus on Gilbert is probably because of a couple of disposal errors last Monday.

With Fisher, Gwilt and Clarke back into our defensive set up Gilbert's form will improve many degrees including because of match-ups. With this spread of defenders and Simpkin continuing to perform as he has to date, Gilbert will be afforded the opportunity to resume taking those floating marks and run the ball from defence with his baulking, catch me if you can runs.

Generally, I thought Gilbert worked well against Carlton.

The only spot available for Ledger is as a small forward because Hayes, Dal Santo, Steven, Armitage, Jones and Montagna (with a little help from others) have the mid-field rotations covered.

Ledger is 20 years of age, is 178cm and 70kg and has played 3 games over a full season and 2012 to date.

So who does he replace?

Particularly as Monday night's form secures Milera and Saad their positions.

His time will come.

Wilkes put his body into a lot of marking contests and moved around OK to contest - he complimented the ever present danger Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Stanley were even tho he could not clunk a grab.

With Stanley and Koschitzke required to ruck, Wilkes will remain.

McEvoy's return will see Wilkes struggling.

Until then, winning form is good form.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The focus on Gilbert is probably because of a couple of disposal errors last Monday.

With Fisher, Gwilt and Clarke back into our defensive set up Gilbert's form will improve many degrees including because of match-ups. With this spread of defenders and Simpkin continuing to perform as he has to date, Gilbert will be afforded the opportunity to resume taking those floating marks and run the ball from defence with his baulking, catch me if you can runs.

Generally, I thought Gilbert worked well against Carlton.

The only spot available for Ledger is as a small forward because Hayes, Dal Santo, Steven, Armitage, Jones and Montagna (with a little help from others) have the mid-field rotations covered.

Ledger is 20 years of age, is 178cm and 70kg and has played 3 games over a full season and 2012 to date.

So who does he replace?

Particularly as Monday night's form secures Milera and Saad their positions.

His time will come.

Wilkes put his body into a lot of marking contests and moved around OK to contest - he complimented the ever present danger Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Stanley were even tho he could not clunk a grab.

With Stanley and Koschitzke required to ruck, Wilkes will remain.

McEvoy's return will see Wilkes struggling.

Until then, winning form is good form.

I notice you didnt mention Milney and his form Monday night.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
SainterK wrote:

What's your point K? Did I suggest he should come in for any of the players you have mentioned.

Don't you think he can play a similar role Cripps and Siposs have played for us this year? IMO he deserves his chance. Something smells.
SainterK's point is that Ledger would have to replace one of those players if he was going to come in and they are going ok. Siposs, Cripps, Newnes and Wilkes play different roles to Ledger and it's not like for like. I thought that would be pretty obvious. Anyway, the coach usually knows best.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I agree something ain't right here - I am certain as a sub to offer genuine pace, hardness and impact Leger is ideal so why not?? Forms been good - ahead of Cripps and others all pre season... Hope he's contracted cause of I were Ross Lyon I know where I'd be knocking....

“Yeah….nah””
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

ledger won't get in while competition is tough for mids. cripps and newnes and siposs are not mids.
I'll put this out there; no way Gwilt won't play if they've taken him all the way over there.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:ledger won't get in while competition is tough for mids. cripps and newnes and siposs are not mids.
I'll put this out there; no way Gwilt won't play if they've taken him all the way over there.
Surely as a youngster Leger is more than just a mid?? I'd love to him come in off a wing with some real run/ hardness in Perth on a big ground...

“Yeah….nah””
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Why was Gilbert disgusting last week? Because of the early mistake? He set up a number of goals (including the last one to Stanley as well as Jack's in the 3rd) and he's a defender. How many goals did their key forwards kick again? Why this continual Gilbert bashing? Is it because Raph hasn't made it back yet?
Agreed. I think there is a thing when you are watching on TV you only see the obvious (including the shockers) but live you see how hard Gilbert works in the back line.

He gets to so many contests and often times plays on bigger bodies.

I can forgive him the odd bad kick for the effort he puts in throughout the game as one of our key defenders

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Ledger's fitness still seems to be a issue. Not sure he can run out a full AFL game. Even last week in VFL he went right out game after half time (16 in first, 8 in 2nd half). So do we just give the bloke a game as sub every week or is it better long term that he keeps getting full VFL games into him and he cdan work on fitness base so he can come into Saints side and run out game?

Tommy Ledger is definently the Tommy Walsh of 2012.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Ledger's fitness still seems to be a issue. Not sure he can run out a full AFL game. Even last week in VFL he went right out game after half time (16 in first, 8 in 2nd half). So do we just give the bloke a game as sub every week or is it better long term that he keeps getting full VFL games into him and he cdan work on fitness base so he can come into Saints side and run out game?

So he'll be off to the Swans then? :P

ThePunter
Club Player

The team flies to Perth today. I think you'll find they'll take 24 players.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Ledger's fitness still seems to be a issue. Not sure he can run out a full AFL game. Even last week in VFL he went right out game after half time (16 in first, 8 in 2nd half). So do we just give the bloke a game as sub every week or is it better long term that he keeps getting full VFL games into him and he cdan work on fitness base so he can come into Saints side and run out game?

Why can't both be done as it has for Cripps? Sub and then drop back? At least then we reward his effort but acknowledge work is still needed re fitness?

I have no doubt as an impact player in the second half Leger could do a job...

“Yeah….nah””
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Ledger - 16 first half touches in first half v Sandy last week. 8 in the second.

Tank, plus others seen as more versatile I'm guessing.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gilbert lowered his colors last week to A.Walker. He was shocking really, he has struggled since 2010.
Walker kicked a couple early and was barely sighted after that. Gilbert had a couple of shocking kicks but his defensive work was good.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Ledger - 16 first half touches in first half v Sandy last week. 8 in the second.

I personally think there trying to get him to play a string of games as a mid to get his tank up. Maybe theyve set him a target og 9-10 games playing a majority of game time on the ball. Watters might think he needs his impact for a whole game not just a burst in the last after being the sub. Personally I think the sub role hurts his development.

defacto
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
Thinline wrote:Ledger - 16 first half touches in first half v Sandy last week. 8 in the second.

I personally think there trying to get him to play a string of games as a mid to get his tank up. Maybe theyve set him a target og 9-10 games playing a majority of game time on the ball. Watters might think he needs his impact for a whole game not just a burst in the last after being the sub. Personally I think the sub role hurts his development.
Spot on. I think ledger is a smart kid and knows what it takes to make it. The issue will be his fitness and making sure we don't destroy his body early like we did with ball. Let's also remember he had a horrible hamstring injury last year. The last thing we need is for him to have a repeat of that injury.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Spot on. I think ledger is a smart kid and knows what it takes to make it. The issue will be his fitness and making sure we don't destroy his body early like we did with ball. Let's also remember he had a horrible hamstring injury last year. The last thing we need is for him to have a repeat of that injury.
Youll probably find hes working with the coaches and the fitness coach on a programme and is aiming to reach a level before he comes in to the seniors.