SAINTS have some tough decisions at the end of the year!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: SAINTS have some tough decisions at the end of the year!

bobmurray wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Love these threads especially with at least 12 games to go. Especially like the possible trade parts. They make me laugh which is good after a hard day at work.
I like these threads regardless of what round it is, you have to be able to look at the present and look at the future,
tough for some obviously but those who can handle it, will and have the discussion....those that can't handle it, won't....they'll whine...
So you are whining now. Have you got anything to add as to who should be delisted and traded.? And I dont see how anyone would find it tough to look into the future but they may say it is to early as form fluctuates.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Love these threads especially with at least 12 games to go. Especially like the possible trade parts. They make me laugh which is good after a hard day at work.
I like these threads regardless of what round it is, you have to be able to look at the present and look at the future,
tough for some obviously but those who can handle it, will and have the discussion....those that can't handle it, won't....they'll whine...
So you are whining now. Have you got anything to add as to who should be delisted and traded.? And I dont see how anyone would find it tough to look into the future but they may say it is to early as form fluctuates.
It's not too early for a discussion on a FAN FORUM.....that is why they exist, if people want to discuss any aspect of the team, they should. Most fans are aware of some of the teams weaknesses
so naturally fans will discuss how to fix those weaknesses via the systems in place...hence this thread. You don't need fixed time frames for certain topics...that is just Ludicrous....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
It's not too early for a discussion on a FAN FORUM.....that is why they exist, if people want to discuss any aspect of the team, they should. Most fans are aware of some of the teams weaknesses
so naturally fans will discuss how to fix those weaknesses via the systems in place...hence this thread. You don't need fixed time frames for certain topics...that is just Ludicrous....

Fine then. Got anything to add to the topic. And just as you can put down names others can say it is to early for such decisions because thats what a fan forum is all about.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

Fine then. Got anything to add to the topic. And just as you can put down names others can say it is to early for such decisions because thats what a fan forum is all about.
I don't put down names, i don't know who'll they draft or trade for, i just know they need to fix the teams weaknesses by both methods...trading and drafting....

There are plenty on here who are willing to speculate on ways to make that happen, i'll comment on the speculation, i won't belittle them by whining about what round it is...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Well said Bob - I concur.

Its actually threads like these that make this place at times semi interesting, hearing others views/speculation/suggestions on how wemight become a better sideis intriguing.

I actually think Kudos to the OP for having the goolies to put his views out there for debate/discussion - right or wrong.

Its the "safe sayers" who add little to the site really except to remind us all ad nauseum that we;

1. Arent really part of the club
2. Know less than recruiters/coaches/players or
3. Shouldnt criticise and should only discuss "good"performances of players because to critically assess performance somehow means you're not a true fan...

what a boring world/site that would be

“Yeah….nah””
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Cripps is a keeper for mine, Gorringe is a very highly rated player and went pretty high from memory I can't see them trading him after putting time into developing him. He isn't playing because he is seen as a long term prospect. We should see if GWS want Peake for Johnny Patton.

PJ
SS Life Member

Why would the club put so much emphasis on developing an academy, bringing coaches into Sandy that have a pedigree for developing youth when they want to go big at the trade table? Won't happen. Ther'll be maybe the odd trade where it suits a need but expect our focus to be more on developing our own players from inside rather than being recyclers or bargain hunters.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Why would the club put so much emphasis on developing an academy, bringing coaches into Sandy that have a pedigree for developing youth when they want to go big at the trade table? Won't happen. Ther'll be maybe the odd trade where it suits a need but expect our focus to be more on developing our own players from inside rather than being recyclers or bargain hunters.
I am sure the academy is as much about educating and developing the older players like WIlkes, Milera & Saad as it is about the youngsters. The acadamy is a great initaitive but it shouldn't influence our list management decisions, when we are in dire need for a ready made key defender and ruckman.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
ThePunter
Club Player

The developments on field also make it difficult to snare a quality ruckman when you already have one.

McEvoy is a ruckman mainly, and you can only play one of these guys in the side at any one time. Other players who can ruck have to be able to play other positions, like Kosi and Stanley forward, and Blake back. This is why North Melbourne have struggled to integrate McIntosh and Goldstein into their side - their both #1 ruckmen who provide little value elsewhere.

This leaves developing a young ruckman, or stockpiling VFL types to use in case of emergency. Hawthorn did the latter this year by recruiting McCauley and Pattison. Pattison can also play a bit forward, like he did in 2010 for us.

As such, I think we're stuck with trying to recruit a young developing ruckman later this year and having him sit at Sandy and develop until he's ready. He will also need to develop another string to his bow if he is to play in the same side as McEvoy.

The key defender stocks were hit by the loss of Dawson. Simpkin is still learning the caper and with tutelage from Max Hudghton could become a genuine full back. But it would be nice to have someone a bit taller and heavier for resting ruckman such as Cox or Maric. There ain't too many just running around in lower levels, though.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The next couple of drafts are going to be compromised too, but not quite as badly.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:The next couple of drafts are going to be compromised too, but not quite as badly.

But the next two drafts are said to be very strong and go very deep. Time will tell !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Richter
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:
PJ wrote:Why would the club put so much emphasis on developing an academy, bringing coaches into Sandy that have a pedigree for developing youth when they want to go big at the trade table? Won't happen. Ther'll be maybe the odd trade where it suits a need but expect our focus to be more on developing our own players from inside rather than being recyclers or bargain hunters.
I am sure the academy is as much about educating and developing the older players like WIlkes, Milera & Saad as it is about the youngsters. The acadamy is a great initaitive but it shouldn't influence our list management decisions, when we are in dire need for a ready made key defender and ruckman.
I agree WO. Though I don't really see Wilkes as an academy member.... 25 yo and with 4 years and 23 games at West Coast already under his belt when he came to us... Saad and Milera whilst 'mature age' recruits were only 23 and 22 when they joined the club though so I'm sure are receiving academy tutelage. I can see plenty of scope for picking up a GC 3rd year 'come-home' Vic boy, and maybe some other early 20s state league guns.

IMO the only older (than 24) player worth picking up might be a 3rd ruckman (like McCauley, Pattinson, Stephenson, Rix :wink: )... otherwise it's youth all the way... what did GT use to say... only consider guys who are of the age that they may play 100 games for the club... sounds about right for us at this stage of our cycle...

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

From PJ. "Why would the club put so much emphasis on developing an academy, bringing coaches into Sandy that have a pedigree for developing youth when they want to go big at the trade table? Won't happen."

I am hoping we are quite active at the Trade table, trading for picks.

PJ
SS Life Member

Yes I guess the arument is ready made vs development. I'm hopeful we go down the Geelong path of home grown as opposed to the Lyon - buy for needs approach.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
hAyES
Club Player

I stopped reading when you put Cripps in a trade. We won't be looking to trade 19 year olds, the tough decisions will be what happens with Goddard, whether or not we re-sign guys like Montagna, and who else makes way for the new draft picks. I'm not on trading, we've done a pretty good job drafting the past couple of years so I'd prefer us to stick with that.

For mine:

Gone:
Peake
Polo
Archer
Clarke

I like the idea of putting Crocker and Winmar on the rookie list which if I'm not mistaken we can keep them as rookies for a couple of years. Both could be good players but need to start showing more. You'd keep them in the senior list in a normal year but with a deep draft coming up and rookies playing well every spot is precious. I'd also look into possibly elevating Ferguson and Curren from the rookie list.

Goddard will probably go which will give us two draft picks and help the salary cap situation.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Yep, I think our salary cap situation will see us lose at least one highly paid player. I still believe Goddard will go and the remaining players under consideration for delisting, retirement or trade would likely be:

Ray
Peake
Clarke
Polo
Blake
Hayes
Crocker
Winmar
Gilbert
Gram (salary cap issues)

Peake and Polo are to me the only obvious ones on that list, so it's a really tough call for Pelchen, Bain, and co. I wouldn't like to be in their shoes at year's end. I won't be surprised if two or more regular senior players get moved on. In a strong draft, you'd think the club would like to free up 4 selections for draft day.