Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clarke

He was OK. Just OK.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Even his kick out wasn't a disaster rolled end over end and Jimmy didn't have his good touch from the past. Two years ago he would have grabbed that at speed and run away.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Had a mixed bag. Some decisions about when to and when not to contest cost us a goal. But he also did some good things.

Did offer some drive and direction, but then again, when you're the free man in defence, that's the least you should be offering in the modern game.

Keeps his spot based on this but remains in the 20-22 bracket, especially when we've got some talented players to come back in.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

had a few scary moments, like that kick in defence, but he was hard at the ball tried all night and gave some run. if i was the coach he holds his spot

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Spud02 wrote:The guy is not AFL standard and 1 half decent game wont change that

BANG BANG
This is the bit you still won't admit to being wrong about[/quote]

Because im not wrong about that.

He was good tonight no doubt about that. I'm happy to admit when im wrong (unlike so may others on here) but he was also good against Carlton in the last game last season. How did he do against Sydney in the final again?

Im far from convinced that he will ever consistently play at a level expected of a high draft pick with 8 years experience in a professional AFL set up.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Hurricane wrote:Im just going to say it

They guy is simply not AFL standard.

After 8 FN years the guy isnt going to get it. A more ruthless team would have delisted a spud like him years ago.

Enough is enough

BANG BANG
You are kidding aren't you? Seriously, did you watch the game? Couple of errors (one costing a goal) but apart from that was excellent. There were plenty of errors made by various players on the field today (for both teams) but the pressure on the field tonight was high.

Easy to find a scapegoat in your disappointment, but to make that scapegoat Raph is boring and predictable and shows your lack of knowledge.
Agree with saint75. Really liked his game tonight. Thought our fwds were to blame for the loss tonight. Certainly thought that Clarke looked far more assured down back than he has in the past. Took a couple of great grabs in the last and provides really good run.

WE Need a proper Full Back! Clarke or anyone else down there is not our problem.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

I agree with the OP, it embarrassing sometimes watching Raph play.

That kick out.....I reckon a 4 year old could do better then that. For a professional footballer that is a disgrace!

Yes he did a few good things in the last quarter but in the 2nd and 3rd quarter he cost us the game and about 3-4 goals.

Countless times he was 5-10 metres off his man.
2-3 times went up in a pack to spoil and completely missed the ball consequently or failed to hit the pack, resulting in goals.

Just because he does 2-3 good things a game doesn't mean he deserves his spot.

A very good VFL player, s**t AFL player.

Sainter for life.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

He wasn't the problem - it was, purely and simply, CONF****** conversion. Forget Raph bashing and ask yourselves 1 question - who MISSED when they should have converted.

BANG BANG, Bubba Bubba, we F***** up, AGAIN.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
To the top
SS Life Member

Well, Hurricane, in the final against Sydney they dominated the ruck (monumental mistake to not play Gardiner particularly after his performance the week before) and accordingly the clearances meaning the ball was constantly in our defensive areas and our defence was under constant pressure resulting in Fisher kicking out on the full 3 or 4 times with hack defensive kicks.

From memory Sydney got 5/6 goals from free kicks - and the problem was they got those goals from free kicks because the ball was in their forward 50 so consistently - plus we had no forward pressure when we did manage to attack so Sydney just ran it out with ease compounding the pressure on our defence.

Hence Milera and Saad.

Given the pressure our back 6 actually held up quite well in that game.

The real problem was elsewhere.

Our rucks remain the real problem, as we saw tonight.

We had to initially call on Blake (who is not a full back and was out-classed) and then Koschitzke who gave us some presence late with some strong marking and effective, attacking ball control.

What I would not mind is if our tall forwards are afforded the same protection the Adelaide forwards were - touch them and they got frees whereas Roo and Kosi were belted off the ball before it was anywhere near the contest.

Plus Roo put into the deck - compare the 50 metre given against us for incidental contact after a mark was paid and where the Adelaide player was not put off balance.

Fisher and Schnieder ran into some form, Gwilt remained very rusty but again had height to deal with.

I am not sure why Simpkin was dropped. He gets to the front and effects spoils so 4 would not have been able to jump all over Kosi as he did.

Again, as with Richmond, you kick the goals and you win.

You miss so many set shots and opportunities and you lose - including because the points hands the ball over for a pressure free disposal.

Saad was really missed.

Selection for the next game will be interesting with hopefully Saad and Stanley available, Simpkin re-instated and others led by Newnes putting pressure on.

Geary, Blake and Milne go.

Milne's goals late do not save his bacon - the damage was done in the other 95 minutes and the goals he cost us.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Newnes and Simpkin were victims of the plethora of 6 day breaks, I have no doubt. If players in general suffer because of such a dominant number of short turn arounds, then it is reasonable to expect the younguns will suffer more.

Newnes has done fine in his first year. Simpkin needed a rest - he's not the best aerobic athlete in the outfit (shin splints until the op at the end of last year), but he's honest.

I'm just rapt we're building a number of alternatives.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

His run out of the backline was excellent. Watters will get the best out of him

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Clarke was good and apart from one weird kick to Gwilt nearly broke his neck trying tonight.

Good game.

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Clarke is absolutely in our best 22 on tonights effort.

Sipposs had kicked a beauty, Schneids kicked one from the 50m penallty and the game was in the balance just before half time when Milne blew our chances of 3 goals in a row. It was only 6 mintes to go and the Crows scored 2 in a row after that and went to the half time break with their chests out and with a bit of breathing space. I reckon if we could've got our noses in front at half time, that would've changed the game. Crows got a a goal early in the third and from then on we just struggled to get close.

Crows got 5 goals up in the middle of the third. We chased, we missed a few chances, but they were always going to lock down with such a big lead. Crows had a lead of 32 points with a couple of minutes left on the clock 'til 3/4 time. Don't know what happened in that last 8 minutes of the game where we nearly snatched it, but it was good to see the boys can turn it on when they want to. If Watters can bottle that type of urgency and run for 4 quarters I'd be happy.
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 16 Jun 2012 2:12am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was our best on the night. Very strange OP.

miskycat
Club Player

Luv ya Raph.

Welcome back. The Saints are coming...

saint6709
Club Player

Raph was very good I thought -almost shows too much courage running with the flight and is sure to get cleaned up - was all over the ground and provided a lot of spread - unfortunately he is almost guaranteed a clanger or 2 per game which people all remember - if he can cut them out and continue to work on his run he could be very good - Maybe we will see his game game V west coast a few years back repeated more regularly......

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Raph was all heart tonight - prefer to see him on a wing though pumping the ball into the forward line

Whilst his running with the flight of the ball and getting his fist on it was courageous unfortunately the ball was propelled towards the opps goal which continually put u under pressure

That said it was our absolute pathetic gimme shooting at goal that was the difference in the end

Love Raph but would prefer him running free rather than as a defence presence

Missed Simpkin tonight unfortunately it seemed our ins were under done

All is not lost

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
St Lenny
Club Player

After 8 FN years the guy isnt going to get it. A more ruthless team would have delisted a spud like him years ago.

Enough is enough

BANG BANG
You are absolutely correct. People go on about Blake not getting Brownlow votes and seriously how many times has Raph been in our best players in 8 years. Not to many times and yet people defend him, I dont get it. Time he went, in fact leave him in WA and do us all a favour :roll:

older saint
SS Life Member

Could not question his effort tonight - few skill errors already highlighted and didn't clear it properly 3rd man up in a marking contest a couple times, but his run off half back and courage was excellent. Appears when he is named on a Friday morning some start writing the Raph Bash Post

SMS
Club Player

Are we talking about raph clarke!?!? He was very good last what drugs are you on? Im gobamacked by this thread!
He will play rest of year!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Time he went, in fact leave him in WA and do us all a favour :roll:
What's he doing in over in WA?

I know he sometimes plays off his opponent a bit but that's ridiculous :shock:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The guy is going to kill himself one day.

Lands on his head way too much.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

St Lenny wrote:

Enough is enough

BANG BANG
You are absolutely correct. People go on about Blake not getting Brownlow votes and seriously how many times has Raph been in our best players in 8 years. Not to many times and yet people defend him, I dont get it. Time he went, in fact leave him in WA and do us all a favour :roll:

How come it takes Raph 3 quarters to start to perform well?

St Lenny
Club Player

Typo, SA obviously. I have just had a look through all the write ups of the game and not in one of them was Raph named as being in the best for the night. So who has their blinkers on?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
St Lenny wrote:

Enough is enough

BANG BANG

How come it takes Raph 3 quarters to start to perform well?

probably the same three quarters his team mates forgot about too.