Can anyone explain these ??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone explain these ??

StK have had their fair share of big trades Stewart/Ditterich/Lockett/Hall/Everitt...but does anyone know the reasons why we traded or delisted the following players......

A.Fletcher 23yo..... Went on to play another 200 games over 12 years and win a B&F and finish top 5 on 6 occasions
D.Rice 24yo..... A Premiership player at Carlton
D. Kickett 24yo.... Best and Fairest and Vice Captain at Freo
C.Davenport 27yo... To Carlton.... lasted 1 season for whatever reason, talented player
J.Danyels 22yo....... To Sydney and Back 3 seasons later
C. O'Brien 25yo ... To Sydney
B.Atkinson 21yo Delisted after 2 games and 1 season.... Back to Adelaide won a magary and was redrafted at 26
J.Georgiou 19yo Delisted after debuting as a 16yo. Won the Liston Trophy later with Frankston
M.Lappin 22yo........ Traded to Carlton played 8 more seasons
Gilbert McAdam 26yo Traded to Brisbane and played three more seasons
Danny Craven 25yo...... Traded to Brisbane and played three more seasons

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can anyone explain these ??

R.Greene
V.Perovic

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OBrien had a few issues, Geogiou was to slow for AFL footy and Lappin had a few demons. Devo was just about finished and Atkinson wasnt good enough. I think Kickett wanted to leave but not sure on the rest. Rice may have been the same.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I remember a bit I reckon:

O'Brien was given a big pay day (big loss at the time)
Kickett never settled.
McAdam wanted to be closer to home
We didn't think Rice's knee was going to recover
Daniels was a botched effort at trading for Williams, he got p!ssed with us for offering him up for trade
Davenport was finished
Fletcher I think fell out with a few
Atkinson I agree just wasn't good enough
Lappin had one drink too many (spewed at the time)
Craven got a lifeline
Georgiou peaked at 18 I reckon

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Kickett had been in Melbourne for three years trying to make it...

McAdam was in SA from 1986-1990 and Melbourne from 1991-1993 ...... Where was his closer to home?? He wasn't from QLD

Rice did his knee again at Carlton and then played a further 100 games, so not great medical advice?? Bit like J.Smith

Why was Davenport finished at 25?? Unusual

Atkinson played only 2 games as a 20yo in season 1. One of those games he got 25 possessions 2 brownlow votes and was a rising star nominee. The next he Got 14 and then he was dropped to never play again. Went back and starred in the SANFL.

Fletcher was a strange one. Harvey, Burke and Fletcher would have been an awesome midfield for the next 8 years, he was a ball magnet.

Lappin demons must have disappeared when he became a Blue?? He turned into a good leader and is now a successful coach. Played cricket against him, great guy... Lovely bat

Georgiou couldn't have been much slower than Dean Grieg, S.Newport, Rod Keough, Sziller, Tony Brown.... Or Danyels for that matter. Just interesting to delist someone so young. Misiti was slow, Jarman was slow, Mitchell is slow, J.Watson is slow, Lenny is slow, Ball is slow...plenty are.... How much of a run did he get??

What about
Ben Walton 22yo... First round draft pick
Daniel Healy 26yo ..... First round draft pick

Sobraz
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote: Why was Davenport finished at 25?? Unusual
Statistically, I'd say a large percentage (perhaps the majority) of AFL players are finished by 25... The turnover is enormous.. Not necessarily finished as footballers, but at AFL level.. Brett Moyle, Chad Davis, Begley, Beetham, etc etc etc....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:

Lappin demons must have disappeared when he became a Blue?? He turned into a good leader and is now a successful coach. Played cricket against him, great guy... Lovely bat
Yes they did. I think we all know people that have turned their lives around.

At the Saints Lappin was p** head, and had driving offences etc. He was off the rails bigtime. Coaches at the time could not handle him, and so was forced to leave. Shame for us as he had great talent.

Look at Rod "Rocket " Owen. Super talent and could have been a super-star, but his dad died and he went off the rails, both with us and later clubs.

Unfortunately he did not do a Lappin.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:J.Danyels 22yo.......  To Sydney and Back 3 seasons later
Hate to be picky but it's Daniels not Danyels.

The strange "y" was in his first name, ie Jayson not Jason  :wink:

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I can't see how we got it wrong with Davenport, Atkinson and Georgiou.

Between them they played 6 games of AFL after leaving St Kilda.

Worth noting that Devenport was traded for pick 17 which was Barry Hall. Hall was traded for pick 13 and a bit more. Dal was pick 13.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Kickett had been in Melbourne for three years trying to make it...

McAdam was in SA from 1986-1990 and Melbourne from 1991-1993 ...... Where was his closer to home?? He wasn't from QLD

Rice did his knee again at Carlton and then played a further 100 games, so not great medical advice?? Bit like J.Smith

Atkinson played only 2 games as a 20yo in season 1. One of those games he got 25 possessions 2 brownlow votes and was a rising star nominee. The next he Got 14 and then he was dropped to never play again. Went back and starred in the SANFL.

Fletcher was a strange one. Harvey, Burke and Fletcher would have been an awesome midfield for the next 8 years, he was a ball magnet.

Georgiou couldn't have been much slower than Dean Grieg, S.Newport, Rod Keough, Sziller, Tony Brown.... Or Danyels for that matter. Just interesting to delist someone so young. Misiti was slow, Jarman was slow, Mitchell is slow, J.Watson is slow, Lenny is slow, Ball is slow...plenty are.... How much of a run did he get??

What about

If you know all the reasons which I reckon your wrong anyway what was the point of asking? Was it to embarrass the club or for those who gave reason for you then to say they were wrong. Seen that you love your own opinion and also love having a sneaky go at the club then I reckon it is a fair bit of both. You had no interest in what others said.

And Im glad Lappin was a lovely bat. Got no idea what that has to do with anything but thanks for telling us you played cricket against him. Must of played a lot against him to know what his issues were at te footy club.

Ross who?
Club Player

Brent Guerra

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Why start a thread to pose questions then answer them yourself?

I'll do something similar: Can anyone tell me why I didn't get a new bike for my 10th birthday?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Austinnn
Club Player

I remember at the time that Daniel Healy never really took his game to the next level. Always threatened to but never got further than a few starring cameos and many MOR performances; Alves' Peake if you will in a team full of them. Even Lappin was just a young stripling that showed talent but no consistency back in his pre-blue years. Sad that we cut our losses with him but seems like there might have been off-field stuff as well. Ben Walton I remember in name only.

The rest are before my time.

Why did I not try harder at school? Why did I buy that over-priced burrito for lunch? Why did I come on this forum at 1 in the morning?

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
gringo
Saintsational Legend

What about Hall and lockett surely the f$#@ed trades of the century. Massive marquee potential and worth more than their elite performances should have played hard ball on them.

i thought Fletcher was part of the AFL expecting all teams to give up some quality players to the new franchise when freo started?

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

FROM MEMORY AT THE TIME:

A.Fletcher - Peter Hudson was trying to be a smartarse with contract negotiations after Fletcher's one year with us. That backfired.
D.Rice - Had knee problems but got over them.
D. Kickett - Exactly the same fate as Fletcher
C.Davenport - Attitude. Thought he was a lot better than he was and I fondly remember him as one of the great f*ck up merchants of the early 90s. Apparently David Parkin has said he can never remember coaching a player with a more out of proportion opinion of himself.
J.Daniels - Can't remember but someone mentioned here he was upset at being offered in the Williams trade.
C. O'Brien - Got offered a big contract by the Swans
B.Atkinson - Homesick I think.
J.Georgiou - Not sure. Maybe just peaked very early, hence the debut at 16.
M.Lappin - Attitude problems, loved a drink and was part of that young crew that had early success and got ahead of themselves. He was a victim of Tim Watson's new broom sweeping clean.
Gilbert McAdam - Wanted to go to Queensland because I think his partner was homesick.
Danny Craven - Not sure.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Kickett had been in Melbourne for three years trying to make it...

What about

If you know all the reasons which I reckon your wrong anyway what was the point of asking? Was it to embarrass the club or for those who gave reason for you then to say they were wrong. Seen that you love your own opinion and also love having a sneaky go at the club then I reckon it is a fair bit of both. You had no interest in what others said.

And Im glad Lappin was a lovely bat. Got no idea what that has to do with anything but thanks for telling us you played cricket against him. Must of played a lot against him to know what his issues were at te footy club.
You try and give the reasons you remember but the know it all that knows very little in fact, has to show his apparent keyboard superiority.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Daniel Healy was the biggest
softcock that played at St Kilda. Would only go when it suited him.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
St Lenny
Club Player

Should we start a thread of recycled players that for what ever reasons failed at other clubs and came to us and did well.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Craven was a dwarf.

162cm would you believe!

About 10th shorter than the current minimum height.

Unbelievable that he could play AFL being so tiny!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
To the top
SS Life Member

There are a few stories here.

Daniel Healy, a tallish winger from Central Districts kicked 6 from CHF in one match but had minimal impact apart from that one game. Looked the goods swinging onto his left foot but could not consistently deliver. Returned to Central Districts in SA for a good career including an unsuccesful stint coaching North Adelaide.

Adrian Fletcher we got from Geelong because of money, he had a very reasonable year, was an exceptional overhead mark for his size (same height as me so not tall!) and was an ok guy for an after game conversation but he wanted still more money on the back of his very reasonable performances - so he lasted just the one year and again moved clubs for money.

There are a few other stories from those times but do not have the time now.

Just a quick browse to see if there are any interesting or informative contributions.

jays
Club Player

yeh there is a few who we let go and turned out good

SaintJohn1956
Club Player

I could be wrong but I think O'Brien went to Sydney with Lockett. Sydney made a huge offer for Lockett and he went.

Jayson Daniels started with us went ot Sydney and then came back I think. Great club man but possibly worst kick ever.

I think Daniel Healy kicked 6 goals one day - on his birthday! Never played another game as good as that one.

Another one would be Tony Brown who came with Aussie Jones, Joel Smith and Max Hughton.

We got rid of him and he went to SA and won a Magarey medal there. Not sure why we did maybe we had a few players all the same sort.

Saint John
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Tim Allen??

Looked pretty good on a half forward flank during the 91 and 92 seasons but then he was traded to Hawthorn for pick 119 :shock: and later went to Geelong

Jeff Hilton??

Looked ok playing in his 5 games next to Plugger in the forward pocket during the 91 season - then only played 1 game in 92 and went to Melbourne for 3 seasons

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
falka
Club Player

I can remember hearing the following:

Fletcher was offered 0 money to make room in the cap to draft Tim Watson, who was drafted back to Essendon.

Lappin wasn't professional enough, missed physio sessions etc

O'Brien (big offer from Swans)

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Craven was a dwarf.

162cm would you believe!

About 10th shorter than the current minimum height.

Unbelievable that he could play AFL being so tiny!
Did we ever look at any of his 6 brothers? Dopey, I believe, could have been anything :shock: