MRP - Your Preferred Method of Assessing Suspensions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: MRP - Your Preferred Method of Assessing Suspensions

Devilhead wrote:As I said in the other thread - a good record should not be rewarded it should be expected

A lot of clean players are getting reported these days where as in the past they would not have.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:As I said in the other thread - a good record should not be rewarded it should be expected

A lot of clean players are getting reported these days where as in the past they would not have.
What is that got to with a reduction in sentence??

A good record is excepted - why reward something that be should be a given

Do you agree that a first time murderer or armed robber be given a reduction in their sentences because they havent committed a murder or armed robbery before??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Do you agree that a first time murderer or armed robber be given a reduction in their sentences because they havent committed a murder or armed robbery before??
No I obviously dont. Do you agree with discounts on your licence for a clean record?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote: A lot of clean players are getting reported these days where as in the past they would not have.

No I obviously dont. Do you agree with discounts on your licence for a clean record?
Cmon Plug stick to the topic at hand - your question has nothing to do with receiving a reduction after committing an offence which the topic we are discussing concerns

Do you agree with receiving a reduction in a licence suspension or fine after being caught drink driving or speeding If you have a clean record??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Cmon Plug stick to the topic at hand - your question has nothing to do with receiving a reduction after committing an offence which the topic we are discussing concerns

Do you agree with receiving a reduction in a licence suspension or fine after being caught drink driving or speeding If you have a clean record??

As I said on the other. You said a good record should not be rewarded it should be expected so my point is relevent. A clean licence should not be rewarded it should be expected.

And no I dont think you should get a reduction for having your licence a long time.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

As I said on the other. You said a good record should not be rewarded it should be expected so my point is relevent. A clean licence should not be rewarded it should be expected.

And no I dont think you should get a reduction for having your licence a long time.
Again typical gutless response - trying to take others words out of context - you are completely transparent and have been ridiculously exposed

Thanks for helping me prove my point

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Again typical gutless response - trying to take others words out of context - you are completely transparent and have been ridiculously exposed

You are one strange unit. The only thing you have proved is when the discussion gets to hard you get personal. I still dont get your point either. All i know is the reason you said you shouldnt get a discount is because it should be expected that you have a clean record. Do you think a driver should be expected to have a clean record?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote: As I said on the other. You said a good record should not be rewarded it should be expected so my point is relevent. A clean licence should not be rewarded it should be expected.

You are one strange unit. The only thing you have proved is when the discussion gets to hard you get personal. I still dont get your point either. All i know is the reason you said you shouldnt get a discount is because it should be expected that you have a clean record. Do you think a driver should be expected to have a clean record?
Yes all drivers should be expected to have clean records

Do you think a driver should be expected to have a clean record??

And do you think drivers should receive a reduced suspension or fine for a first time offence??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

And do you think drivers should receive a reduced suspension or fine for a first time offence??
I have answered that previously. I dont think they should get a discount. Why do some coppers let people off with warnings when they have clearly broken the law when driving and it would be my guess older people are let off more than 18 year old P platers. And It depends on the charge. The law does give discounts or even let you off if it is first time drug offence with some drugs. It seems you wouldnt let first time drug offenders off. They should be expected not to use illegal drugs but people do. The still get let off in some cases.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Do you think a driver should be expected to have a clean record?

I have answered that previously. I dont think they should get a discount.
But you believe that players should get a reduction in their suspension if it's a first time offence

Why is it ok for players to get a reduction in their suspension for a first time offence but drivers not??

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

I think the system adopting transparent penalties for most offences works well, as does the carry over points and the early plea discounts. It fails for the more serious offences that should attract more significant suspensions and for when a player is charged for multiple offences in one game (e.g. Baker). It would be improved in my opinion if there was some threshold where the incident was referred to a tribunal that dealt with them using, among other things, common sense and the corporate memory for tribunal penalites. that's where it gets grey and the discretion of the tribunal and match review panel.

In my opinion Wellingham's would have crossed that threshold whereas the Hocking and Taylor Walker ones probably wouldn't, especially the former (owing to connecting below the head).

The discounts seem to be disproportional for the more serious offences, perhaps if it was a straight 100 points (or whatever is below a suspension for a more trivial offence it would be more effective.

e.g. if you have a good record and commit what is conventionally a one week sentence, the guilty plea would get you to just below with carry-over points. 25% of the more serious ones is too generous in my opinion.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Why do some coppers let people off with warnings when they have clearly broken the law when driving and it would be my guess older people are let off more than 18 year old P platers. And It depends on the charge. The law does give discounts or even let you off if it is first time drug offence with some drugs. It seems you wouldnt let first time drug offenders off. They should be expected not to use illegal drugs but people do. The still get let off in some cases.
But where is the reduction in the original

The fact that they get off is in fact the original decision \ finding / sentence passed down by the judge

Why some judges / police let some people go and others not I don't know - maybe because they have mates down at the Moorabbin police station??

There is a difference between imposing a sentence ( say 1 year in prison) and imposing a sentence (3 years) and then reducing it because of good behaviour (down to one year)

If a judge decides to let someone go free even if they have committed crime then that is the decision he has imposed just because he didn't impose a sentence or fine doesn't mean he has reduced it - his original decision is that they go free - he has not imposed a 2 year sentence and then reduced it because of good behaviour

Unlike the MRP which imposes sentences and THEN reduces them due to a good behaviour rule

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Inconsistencies will always occur - what I would love to see is that at least one match of any suspension gets held over until the player plays against the team he infringed upon. There is no benefit to Carlton having Wellingham out for the next 3 weeks - in fact it goes against them if Collingwood are playing temas that Carlton are contending with for finals spots.

I also object to the cumulative benefits of early pleas. Your carry over points are added to the penalty and then reduced by the 25% for the early plea - There should only be a 25% reduction against the points for the event you are pleading guilty to.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:Inconsistencies will always occur - what I would love to see is that at least one match of any suspension gets held over until the player plays against the team he infringed upon. There is no benefit to Carlton having Wellingham out for the next 3 weeks - in fact it goes against them if Collingwood are playing temas that Carlton are contending with for finals spots.

I also object to the cumulative benefits of early pleas. Your carry over points are added to the penalty and then reduced by the 25% for the early plea - There should only be a 25% reduction against the points for the event you are pleading guilty to.

The problem with carrying it over is that you may retire, get sacked, be injured nect time you play them. And if you are injured wont the club just say you were fit but you served your suspension. It does sound like a good idea but I think there are far to many varibles. What happens if you are traded to the other club?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:Inconsistencies will always occur - what I would love to see is that at least one match of any suspension gets held over until the player plays against the team he infringed upon. There is no benefit to Carlton having Wellingham out for the next 3 weeks - in fact it goes against them if Collingwood are playing temas that Carlton are contending with for finals spots.

The problem with carrying it over is that you may retire, get sacked, be injured nect time you play them. And if you are injured wont the club just say you were fit but you served your suspension. It does sound like a good idea but I think there are far to many varibles. What happens if you are traded to the other club?
In a perfect world Plugger - lol - If you knew you were going to retire that year as well - you could have essentially 17 Free Hits - as long as they only drew one match each!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!