good one lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

good one lyon

you clown... :roll:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/n ... 221ie.html

"NEW Zealand-raised forward Khan Haretuku is earmarked to be one of the most sought-after mature-age prospects heading into this year's draft.

And if that is the case, he would be well on the way to proving former coach Ross Lyon wrong in returning to the AFL ranks, with several clubs already circling the talented 22 year old.

Haretuku was drafted at 18 as a rookie under the New South Wales scholarship program at St Kilda but was delisted after one season - and he said it still stings.
Advertisement

''Ross Lyon [former St Kilda coach, now Fremantle coach] sat me down in his office and told me that he didn't think that I had the AFL talent and that stung quite a bit and I used it as motivation to get back ever since,'' Haretuku said.

Haretuku, who has kicked 29 goals this season, has developed into one of the VFL's finest forwards after three years on Frankston's list. This has been the year that he has grown the most and Dolphins coach Simon Goosey believes he is a near certainty to be redrafted at the end of the season.

It is believed Carlton, Melbourne, Greater Western Sydney, Brisbane Lions and the Gold Coast are among those that have him high on the pecking order for mature-age prospects."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: good one lyon

You showed em Ross with your tough love mate. Well done.
Just like you showed the pies with your 'tough" trade policy! Cop that Pies! Take one of our best players for nothing in return. Bang! You showed them who is the boss mate!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Yep he obviously doesn't know what he is doing.

Not sure why he is getting paid $1 million a year to coach.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Just further evidence that he had NFI about developing junior talent !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Yep he obviously doesn't know what he is doing.

Apparently Alan Bond is on the Freo board!
Lyon a steal @ $1 million, next purchase the harbour bridge.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
AccidentallyTim
Club Player

See first Q vs Melbourne 8-)

Fortius Quo Fidelius
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Can someone remind me how Khan went in the VFL while at the saints ?? From my memory he was well below the requirements of an AFL player at that time .. Good luck to him for turning it around and getting better but you can't blame Ross for cutting a bloke who was (at the time) below standard you can't just keep players forever hoping they come good

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

me either....lyon couldn't pick his nose....sa eagles premiership hero phil raymond is another ...
Last edited by stinger on Sat 14 Jul 2012 6:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

on the outer
Club Player

My memories of Khan was he was a big lump of a lad who played a lot of games in the development squad didn't make any impression in the seniors at Casey dont even remember him playing in any of the NAB cup games. Another in the group pf players selected for their size more than their ability eg. luke van rheenen, blake mcgrath and to a lesser extent Steven Gaertner.

Couldn't fault the decision to delist at the time, he was delisted in 2009 so effectively he has had three years at VFL level to become promising (he hasn't been re-drafted by anyone yet). Can just imagine the tirades on here if he had of been left on the list and not looked like playing a senior game.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Still, we should make an effort to get him. He does have a connection with the club, knows most of the players, Lyon has moved on. He could easily fill a gap on our list.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

on the outer wrote:My memories of Khan was he was a big lump of a lad who played a lot of games in the development squad didn't make any impression in the seniors at Casey dont even remember him playing in any of the NAB cup games. Another in the group pf players selected for their size more than their ability eg. luke van rheenen, blake mcgrath and to a lesser extent Steven Gaertner.

Couldn't fault the decision to delist at the time, he was delisted in 2009 so effectively he has had three years at VFL level to become promising (he hasn't been re-drafted by anyone yet). Can just imagine the tirades on here if he had of been left on the list and not looked like playing a senior game.

i think you are missing the point......as soon as someone show a bit of confidence in a player who obviously must have some ability....and then instills in that player some self-belief.....they can really bloom...as this kid has done........under lyon that just did not happen.........and this is well recognised by the club itself which is now investing in development in a big way......

...face it ...this is one area where lyon gets a big fail mark.....and we all are the poorer for it....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Khan wasn't in the VFL at 16

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

A thread started by someone with no idea.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

me either....lyon couldn't pick his nose....sa eagles premiership hero phil raymond is another ...

I was being sarcastic. I disagree with you and your thread.

Imagine that. A player not good enough three years ago, but improves as he gets older.

If he was still on the list right now, we'd all be abusing he decision. Did any other club pick him up in the three years, must be of the same opinion as RL at the time.

Maybe when he gets picked up again, if so at the end of the year, and actually contributes to AFL football you should start this type of thread, and have the opinion you do.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

AccidentallyTim wrote:

Yep maybe he should get the sack then... His new team had a bad first quarter away from home.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A thread started by someone with no idea.

:mrgreen:

kalsaint
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
stinger wrote:

Imagine that. A player not good enough three years ago, but improves as he gets older.

If he was still on the list right now, we'd all be abusing he decision. Did any other club pick him up in the three years, must be of the same opinion as RL at the time.

Maybe when he gets picked up again, if so at the end of the year, and actually contributes to AFL football you should start this type of thread, and have the opinion you do.
Thank you for some sense here. A decision was made that with hinsight may now be seen as being a poor decision. Look how many other players havent made the cut early in their careers only to find another environment and play well with further development. In short there are heaps. Bet Essendon would now liked to have had Milney!

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
AccidentallyTim wrote:

Yep maybe he should get the sack then... His new team had a bad first quarter away from home.
Would'a been interesting if Saints used that sort of short term thinking on Lyon after he spent a year with us...There is debate as to whether the speed and enthusiasm and uncertainty of playing youngsters might have made the difference in us winning a flag, but that's not the point of this thread is it?

The whole point of this thread and every other thread that hangs sh1t on Lyon is to highlight that the bloke had failings. It is these failings that may have contributed to the team not getting to the summit. As much as you and others believe that he coached and drafted the way he did and that was his strengths, you need to acknowledge that he failed to get us any silverware.

As a Saints supporter and as a member, I am only interested in my team improving. I'm not interested in continually defending past coaches gallant efforts.

Personally I'm glad he's gone, but i'm interested to know what motivates you to pump up the tyres of an ex coach who left the Saints in circumstances that left some supporters and some players feeling like they were deserted??

We didn't play youngsters with Lyon at the helm from 2007. Any way you cut it, the cost of aiming for a flag with that bloke as the senior coach was that we fell behind in player development and in drafting future stars into the team. I'm sure Lyon gave 100% commitment to the cause....but in my opinion...he will not ever "have the AFL talent" to be a winning premiership coach.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Would'a been interesting if Saints used that sort of short term thinking on Lyon after he spent a year with us...There is debate as to whether the speed and enthusiasm and uncertainty of playing youngsters might have made the difference in us winning a flag, but that's not the point of this thread is it?

The whole point of this thread and every other thread that hangs sh1t on Lyon is to highlight that the bloke had failings. It is these failings that may have contributed to the team not getting to the summit. As much as you and others believe that he coached and drafted the way he did and that was his strengths, you need to acknowledge that he failed to get us any silverware.

As a Saints supporter and as a member, I am only interested in my team improving. I'm not interested in continually defending past coaches gallant efforts.

Personally I'm glad he's gone, but i'm interested to know what motivates you to pump up the tyres of an ex coach who left the Saints in circumstances that left some supporters and some players feeling like they were deserted??

We didn't play youngsters with Lyon at the helm from 2007. Any way you cut it, the cost of aiming for a flag with that bloke as the senior coach was that we fell behind in player development and in drafting future stars into the team. I'm sure Lyon gave 100% commitment to the cause....but in my opinion...he will not ever "have the AFL talent" to be a winning premiership coach.

I don't pump him up. Just give the bloke the credit he deserves because a lot of others unwarrentedly discredit his achievements and the abilities of the Saints 2009 and to a lesser extent 2010.

And I don't take much notice of your thoughts anyway... Are you the one that suggested resting players from the middle of the year once? I'm not sure; and I'm not about to search for it.

Thanks.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
Spinner wrote:
stinger wrote:

Thank you for some sense here. A decision was made that with hinsight may now be seen as being a poor decision. Look how many other players havent made the cut early in their careers only to find another environment and play well with further development. In short there are heaps. Bet Essendon would now liked to have had Milney!

Amen.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A thread started by someone with no idea.
baiter :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Scollop wrote:

I don't pump him up. Just give the bloke the credit he deserves because a lot of others unwarrentedly discredit his achievements and the abilities of the Saints 2009 and to a lesser extent 2010.

And I don't take much notice of your thoughts anyway... Are you the one that suggested resting players from the middle of the year once? I'm not sure; and I'm not about to search for it.

Thanks.
F*** Lyon...we haven't won a flag since 66...he is another failure, there have been a few of them...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

far be it for me to go in and bat for Lyon... my thoughts on his list management, team selection, development are well known.

However Khan is far from the "missed superstar" category just yet

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Good on the kid for reassessing and using the sting to improve and become a dangerous and productive forward at VFL level.

If he gets picked up though I doubt it will be by us. W aren't exactly hurting for forwards right now

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
... Are you the one that suggested resting players from the middle of the year once? I'm not sure; and I'm not about to search for it.

Thanks.
Yeah....fancy that...resting your superstars...I think if the Hawks had their time over they may be re-considering playing Franklin against GWS in the middle of the year.

When it's a game versus the Suns and you need to maximise your chances against the better teams, then it would have been a wise decision. Courageous yes, risky yes, but worth the risk when we are playing the bottom two teams. We'd smacked them only 8 or 9 rounds earlier FFS - Yep - definitely a danger game that one versus GC Suns.

What would you prefer; sitting in 7th spot with 9 wins and less percentage than now, or as we are with only 8 wins?

I suggested that we 'plan' and list manage, because of our situation with some of our senior warriors, our situation with consecutive away games to Metricon and AAMI and our situation with consecutive 6 day breaks. I didn't suggest it before we lost to Adelaide either. Same with my call on Lyon. I suggested we'd be better off without the pr1ck before he was 'headhunted' :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: