Saints v Cats - Preview and Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints v Cats - Preview and Discussion

Last time these sides met: Rd 13 MCG 2011 the Cats defeated the Saints 100-72

Brownlow Votes: 3: P Chapman, 2: N Dal Santo, 1: J Corey

Injury concerns: Nick Riewoldt knee, Tom Hawkins concussion

Possible ins for Saints this week include: Ray, Schneider, Blake, Jones Cats: Kelly, Chapman, Vardy

Cats coming off a narrow loss to the Eagles in Perth, their better players included Steve Johnson and Bartel in the midfield and pushing forward, Pods finding a bit of form with 3 goals.

Possible matchups may include

Dempster v Johnson (who will probably move back forward with return of Kelly/Chapman)
Gwilt v Pods
Jones v Bartel
Hayes v Selwood
Chapman v Fisher
Taylor v Kosi
Hunt v Milne
Geary v Christensen

On a side note the Simpkin brothers may find themselves playing each other for the first time.

Will be a tough match, but one I still think the Saints can win.

I think the Saints today may of been guilty of thinking ahead a bit much, as this will be a 'mini final'

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Cats - Preview and Discussion

Corey could also be in for them

we are down a bit on the match ups

fisher certainly not on chapman

saint4life
Doctor Two
Club Player

we are off to a good start - Chris Scott bagging the umpires/ umpiring department. Great idea, just ask GT

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gee, Chris Scott likes a whinge doesn't he.

StGoddard18
Club Player

Both the Scott brothers look like they have stood in dog sh*t. They think they always have something "important" to say.

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Gee, Chris Scott likes a whinge doesn't he.

Maybe he reads stuff on here.

felix
Club Player

At least thr Geelong fc are brave enough to complain about the umpires were as we just take it on the chin.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

cant see us winning tbh

older saint
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Last time these sides met: Rd 13 MCG 2011 the Cats defeated the Saints 100-72

Possible ins for Saints this week include: Ray, Schneider, Blake, Jones Cats: Kelly, Chapman, Vardy

Cats coming off a narrow loss to the Eagles in Perth, their better players included Steve Johnson and Bartel in the midfield and pushing forward, Pods finding a bit of form with 3 goals.

Dempster v Johnson (who will probably move back forward with return of Kelly/Chapman)
Gwilt v Pods
Jones v Bartel
Hayes v Selwood
Chapman v Fisher
Taylor v Kosi
Hunt v Milne
Geary v Christensen

On a side note the Simpkin brothers may find themselves playing each other for the first time.

I think the Saints today may of been guilty of thinking ahead a bit much, as this will be a 'mini final'
HArd to see fisher Chapman, more likely perhaps Ray back in for that match up . With HAwkins and Roo out may see Taylor forward for Geelong. Scarlett will get Kosi becaus e they like to use his run off him.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:At least thr Geelong fc are brave enough to complain about the umpires were as we just take it on the chin.
I think he has lodged a complaint about the crowd?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:
SainterK wrote:Last time these sides met: Rd 13 MCG 2011 the Cats defeated the Saints 100-72

Gwilt v Pods
Jones v Bartel
Hayes v Selwood
Chapman v Fisher
Taylor v Kosi
Hunt v Milne
Geary v Christensen

HArd to see fisher Chapman, more likely perhaps Ray back in for that match up . With HAwkins and Roo out may see Taylor forward for Geelong. Scarlett will get Kosi becaus e they like to use his run off him.
I'll admit it was a left field match up

I just remember Fisher has gone with both Pav and Goodes before, even into the midfield if needs be.

Chappy these days though tends to flow half forward, and has always outbodied/outsmarted who ever we've played on him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Changes from Round 13, 2011 to Round 20, 2012.

St Kilda

IN: Cripps, Dunell, Geary, Hayes, Ledger, Saad, Simpkin, Watters, Wilkes
OUT: Baker, Clarke, Dawson, Gamble, Jones, Lyon, Peake, Ray, Schneider

Geelong

IN: Christensen, Guthrie, Hawkins, Motlop, Murdoch, Selwood, Sheringham, Simpkin, Stephenson, Walker
OUT: Chapman, Corey, J Hunt, Kelly, Ling, Menzel, Milburn, Ottens, Varcoe, Vardy

Lots of changes in more than a year! Plenty of much-maligned names out of the Saints side, and plenty of good players out of the Cats.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If Kosi or Macca are having a barrycrocker, they need to be subbed early and I'd be playing Siposs as the sub. I've got a feeling that we will need speed as the match progresses and for that reason, Siposs comes in because he can replace one of the leading forwards and he can also play wing or half back.

We only bring in Jones or Ray if the coach is confident of Ray or Jones nullifying one of their stars. Has Clint or fazza ever played on Stevie J? Cripps and Tom Ledger out or just Cripps if the coach doesn't play both fazza and CJ....or Both youngsters out if Schneiderman is 100% fit and one of CJ and fazza come in.

We are bound to be able to beat them one on one in most match ups because they are coming off the longest interstate trip in footy. Take them on and play attacking footy Sainters. We are in pretty good form and if Armo, Jack and BJ support Lenny, Monty and Dal, we can do this. Stop Johnson and Selwood and the match is won. Stop Jpod and possibly Taylor as their second string forward and the match is won.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:...Siposs comes in because he can replace one of the leading forwards and he can also play wing or half back.
half back? when has siposs ever played half back?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Scollop wrote:...Siposs comes in because he can replace one of the leading forwards and he can also play wing or half back.
half back? when has siposs ever played half back?

Today at times.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:half back? when has siposs ever played half back?
Today at times.
really? interesting. and dunell played on the hbf yesterday.

we've already got way too many half-back flankers, not sure we need to be moulding more kids to play behind the ball.

jays
Club Player

We can win this just kick straight

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:half back? when has siposs ever played half back?
Today at times.
really? interesting. and dunell played on the hbf yesterday.

we've already got way too many half-back flankers, not sure we need to be moulding more kids to play behind the ball.
Maybe in preperation for a Riewoldt less forward line?

Interesting.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/geelon ... 6448581896

GEELONG is confident key forward Tom Hawkins will be fit to play in Friday night's crucial clash against St Kilda

But the outlook is not as positive for opposing big man Nick Riewoldt, who will be in a fight to recover from a knee injury in time to face the Cats.

Hawkins was stretchered off the ground and subbed off with concussion in the first quarter of Friday night's loss to West Coast.

But Cats football manager Neil Balme yesterday said the club was hopeful the 24-year-old would line up alongside a host of returning stars against the Saints this week.

"You never know with concussion, it depends on how he responds to any of the work, etc. but he was able to fly back virtually straight after the game," Balme said.

"He came back on the midnight flight, and he was well when he landed, so there didn't seem to be any headache problems after the game, which sometimes happens with concussion, so we're pretty confident.

"If they're not feeling well you wouldn't fly them back straight away but he was booked on the midnight flight and he was keen to stay on it and he was fine."

St Kilda remains unsure if Riewoldt will get up in time, with a six-day break hampering his chances of recovering from tendon damage behind his right knee.

"There is nothing more to report. We will meet with the medical people tomorrow," St Kilda football manager Greg Hutchison said last night.

Riewoldt left for scans immediately after hyper-extending his knee in the first term, visiting the nearby Olympic Park clinic in a break from usual convention for waiting for scans.

Geelong's ruck stocks have taken another hit though, with Orren Stephenson in doubt for this week after requiring scans on a hand injury.

"He got a little bit of a whack in the hand. We haven't seen the results of x-rays, but he was a bit sore, so we'll see how we go with him," Balme said.

While Stephenson may miss, the Cats are hopeful number one ruckman Trent West will return after missing the past two games with a knee injury.

Only defender Billie Smedts (calf) looks unlikely to play from the group of players that did not make the trip west to take on the Eagles, including Kelly (groin) and Paul Chapman (calf).

"We're pretty confident that Chappy, Joel Corey, Kell, and even Westy will play we would hope," Balme said.

"Billie was probably a slightly more serious calf. He might be OK but we're expecting it might probably take a little bit longer."

Kelly declared himself a certain starter for Friday night's game at Etihad Stadium

"It was just a bit of a scheduled rest," Kelly said.

"I was looking to rest at some stage in the next few weeks and

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hawkins will play for sure.

“Yeah….nah””
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Hawkins will play for sure.

I thought he was playing for free kicks, didn't look like much in Hawkins injury, he must have bent an eye lash or something when he fell. I can imagine he could have done too much damage. I hope he doesn't play too close to our Tom from Geelong or he might get something to bring the stretcher out for.He plays aggressive the good Simpkin.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

OK, if he plays, who goes to him?

Been monstering his opponents in recent weeks.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think Macca and Kosi and our midfield are the keys, but selection of fast, younger blokes will also play a part.

I heard that Sippa was good today for Sandy and that should mean he's got enough confidence to be brought into the team as the third tall up forward.

Only reason I mentioned Sippa playing back is firstly it helps his defensive game and secondly he might be flexible enough if Gwilty is playing poorly or if Gilbo and Chips need to play deep as the FB on Jpod. The way modern footy is being played, if you can't press up and defend and then turn and spread on the attack you are a liability.

I don't want Blake in even if the Tomohawk plays. We already have Kosi and Macca and we don't need more slow or old blokes. Tomohawk will not be his usual self - Number 1) travelling back from Perth; Number 2) the concussion [whether minor or major - he will be affected]. I'd rather we have Siposs, Jones, and even Millera in the team rather than rush Blake back in.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:OK, if he plays, who goes to him?

Fisher has been taking the No 1 key Forward for a while and it has worked.

It would be a waste to play our only player who can do well on key forwards on a small like Chapman.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:OK, if he plays, who goes to him?

Fisher has been taking the No 1 key Forward for a while and it has worked.

It would be a waste to play our only player who can do well on key forwards on a small like Chapman.
To be fair, that suggestion was made in the anticipation that Hawkins won't play.