Channel 7's upscaled SD coverage on Foxtel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Channel 7's upscaled SD coverage on Foxtel

For the whole season, we have been denied a full HD coverage of games that are channel 7 broadcast ones.

It's a noticeable difference if you have Foxtel HD.

Clearly, in yet another AFL contractual stuff up, they have failed to force Channel 7 to provide Foxtel with an HD feed of their coverage.

Channel 7 film their broadcast games on HD cameras, but refuse to provide Foxtel with the HD feed.

That is typical of channel 7, but clearly there is no contractural obligation for them to give the HD Fred to Foxtel. So whilst 7 are not cooperating in the spirit of the game (for want of a better phrase), it really is the fault ultimately of the AFL for not looking at the deal closely enough before sign off.

Channel 7 don't want Foxtel to broadcast their games in native HD as it gives a further advantage over their Shyte SD coverage. At the moment you get add free on Foxtel and upscale HD, which is better than 7 but nowhere near as good as it could/should be.

This whole bullshyte could be avoided immediately if channel 7 simulcast their games on 7MATE which I believe is their HD channel, just like what 9 did with the Olympics simulcasting on GEM (channel 90).

Problem is a lot of dumbarses when the Olympics were on prob watched channel 9 not 90 and missed out on high Def!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Channel 7's upscaled SD coverage on Foxtel

Why would the AFL tell channel 7 to broadcast in HD? And why would channel 7 give Foxtel a free kick by broadcasting in HD. And why would channel 7 have 2 of their 3 channels showing the same show. I reckon the Olympics isnt quite the same as a game of footy. Do you understand competition or just whinging about most things?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why would the AFL tell channel 7 to broadcast in HD? And why would channel 7 give Foxtel a free kick by broadcasting in HD. And why would channel 7 have 2 of their 3 channels showing the same show. I reckon the Olympics isnt quite the same as a game of footy. Do you understand competition or just whinging about most things?
Because fwit you don't get it.

Foxtel sold us nine games in HD and can't deliver it.

Why fwit wouldn't anyone want to watch games on HD?

You are a first grade fwit if you are content with upscale HD crap over full HD.

As I said, it's the AFL's fault not channel 7 ultimately.

Do you have Foxtel HD and a good HD TV?

If so, you're getting diddled.

All major sports are broadcast in full HD, why not all games of footy, not just 5 per week?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why would the AFL tell channel 7 to broadcast in HD? And why would channel 7 give Foxtel a free kick by broadcasting in HD. And why would channel 7 have 2 of their 3 channels showing the same show. I reckon the Olympics isnt quite the same as a game of footy. Do you understand competition or just whinging about most things?
Because fwit you don't get it.

You are a first grade fwit if you are content with upscale HD crap over full HD.

As I said, it's the AFL's fault not channel 7 ultimately.

Do you have Foxtel HD and a good HD TV?

If so, you're getting diddled.

All major sports are broadcast in full HD, why not all games of footy, not just 5 per week?

Normally you can discuss things without calling me a f***wit. Have a big one last night? I have Foxtel HD and a pretty good 50 inch TV. Why should the AFL tell 7 to televise in HD? It isnt their job to do that. And if Foxtel advertised they were showing 9 games in HD well that is their fault. I dont dont watch Foxtel when 7 show games so I dont see upscale Hd. I see SD on 7. 7 dont show games in HD because channel 7 isnt a HD channel. Why the hell would they give a free kick to Foxtel?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

So you prefer to watch games on 7 with ads?

Weird unless you like watching ads!

Anyway, we will agree to disagree on this one I think.

And no drinks for me last night. Little twerp woke me up at 5 and I couldn't get back to sleep. Tired and cranky is me!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe your not watching foxtel during ch7 games when you have foxtel. At the start of the year, 7 weren't talking during the ad breaks (which DID sound funny) but then they relented and at least say something during the ads now.

Even though this sounds contrary, I reckon ch7 should show replays during the ads and then can show a replay when they get back from the ads. The reason I say this is because they are being petty but at least talking during the ads but they should think about the people who buy these games on DVD when nothing is happening for 30 seconds at a time.

Ch 7 do not see the big (and HD) picture at all.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I can't believe your not watching foxtel during ch7 games when you have foxtel. At the start of the year, 7 weren't talking during the ad breaks (which DID sound funny) but then they relented and at least say something during the ads now.

Even though this sounds contrary, I reckon ch7 should show replays during the ads and then can show a replay when they get back from the ads. The reason I say this is because they are being petty but at least talking during the ads but they should think about the people who buy these games on DVD when nothing is happening for 30 seconds at a time.

They do see the big picture and that isnt giving Foxtel a free kick. As for replays during the ads how does that help 7? And lets cae it you are still going to buy a replay of the game if there is only commentry after a goal.

By the way I watch 7 because i have a a rating moniter and want to support 7. I think i am worth something like 10k viewers.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Why shouldn't people call you a f***wit Plugger - after all that's the kind of language you like to use when engaging PM's - you hypocrite :roll:

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Umm..cos Channel 7 and Foxtel are IN COMPETITION with each other...and like any business, you dont give your competition a free kick.

Seven prolly think they have compromised enough having to on-pass the coverage to Foxtel..Foxtel are ad-free so they want a point of difference too. That point of difference is true HD

If they just handed over the HD coverage to Foxtel, why would anyone who has Foxtel watch Seven? and if noone watches Seven, the revenue they make from their advertising drops..and they have less money to spend on the next TV rights...so they dont bid as much, so the AFL dont get as much money..which is passed onto the Clubs

Do Ford and Holden just share design ideas "in the spirit of the game?? Does the ACCC force them to do that? No....so why on Earth should the AFL force Seven to deliver HD pictures??

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I think i am worth something like 10k viewers.
Gee. You DO have a big opinion of yourself. :lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Plugger you are missing the point.

All of these issues should have been discussed during the broadcast negoitations with the AFL saying to both Channel 7 and Foxtel "this is what we want for the viewers and Foxtel suscribers, eg HD replays etc. Is there are problem on agreeing to this, and if there is, sorry the broadcast rights go to someone else"

After all it is the AFL that should have been calling the shots instead of Channel 7 saying thanks for the rights but now we'll start Friday night games at 0750 to make up for lost revenue for not showing "Better Homes & Gardens"

It is all about competition, but at the end of the day, viewers and ratings at the end of the day bring in the money and if the customer is not happy then we're overpaid them.

There is already discontent with Foxtel suscribers at the moment including me, and this is not helping.

As for Channel Seven it broadcasts substandard crap and I yearn for the Channel 10 broadcasts we used to get.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

HD tv coverage should be a non negotiable.

Poor effort from 7.

Poor effort from the AFL. They sell the rights, they can demand what ever they like.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The AFL should force 7 to show true HD to give the consumer the best product on screen. Anyone knows we are being sold a lemon (to a degree at least it's live on Foxtel).

If you don't have Foxtel it doesn't effect you, but if you pay a hundred odd bucks a month you want a premium product. It's pay TV - it ain't free remember.

Also remember Foxtel paid something like $600 million for their deal.

IMO this issue was an oversight by the AFL - they didn't factor it in, just like the live TV issue in the previous agreement.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:HD tv coverage should be a non negotiable.

Poor effort from 7.

Poor effort from the AFL. They sell the rights, they can demand what ever they like.
Correct. They were able to get 7 to show Friday and Sunday live witha tweak of starting times. It can be done.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:Why shouldn't people call you a f***wit Plugger - after all that's the kind of language you like to use when engaging PM's - you hypocrite :roll:

After you sent me a pm a gutless PM like you did with JB. You are a racist and a gutless one at that. Pathetic person.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:
Plugger you are missing the point.

All of these issues should have been discussed during the broadcast negoitations with the AFL saying to both Channel 7 and Foxtel "this is what we want for the viewers and Foxtel suscribers, eg HD replays etc. Is there are problem on agreeing to this, and if there is, sorry the broadcast rights go to someone else"

After all it is the AFL that should have been calling the shots instead of Channel 7 saying thanks for the rights but now we'll start Friday night games at 0750 to make up for lost revenue for not showing "Better Homes & Gardens"

It is all about competition, but at the end of the day, viewers and ratings at the end of the day bring in the money and if the customer is not happy then we're overpaid them.

There is already discontent with Foxtel suscribers at the moment including me, and this is not helping.

As for Channel Seven it broadcasts substandard crap and I yearn for the Channel 10 broadcasts we used to get.

Well I think you are missing the point. The AFL were never going to tell 7 to only use HD. If they did 7 would have said stuff you we are out of here because what ever way you look at it people watch 7 and hardly ever their HD channel so where is there benefit? Foxtel get the benefit though and they are in competition with 7. If channel 7 was a HD channel then they would broadcast in HD. It isnt though so no point in doing it.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintspremiers wrote:Because fwit you don't get it.

so were you one of the "dumbasses" that didnt watch the olymipcs on 9 in 3D?
I refuse to upgrade my foxtel/austar until they do broadcast in hd
your gripe is with foxtel, NOT with the AFL and ch7

Seeya
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Plugger - as I have warned you before - defamation in a public forum is a prosecutable offence - be very careful Plugger.... you are treading a fine line.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Because fwit you don't get it.

so were you one of the "dumbasses" that didnt watch the olymipcs on 9 in 3D?
I refuse to upgrade my foxtel/austar until they do broadcast in hd
your gripe is with foxtel, NOT with the AFL and ch7
Foxtel broadcast in HD. Costs more to get HD. And it's only selected channels.

They broadcast their games in native HD, but can only broadcast in upscale HD from 7's feed.

They would of course broadcast in native HD if the feed allowed them.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Maybe foxtel should have found out if they would be able to deliver HD before promising it to the public.

Of course 7 isn't going to give their competition a helping hand unless they're contractually bound, what a ridiculous notion.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

so much love on here

Fortius Quo Fidelius
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I don't care about games other than when the saints play .
I guess i'm lucky cos i get to watch most saints games in high definition 3D !
that's right , i actually go to the games !

In red white and black from 73
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:I can't believe your not watching foxtel during ch7 games when you have foxtel. At the start of the year, 7 weren't talking during the ad breaks (which DID sound funny) but then they relented and at least say something during the ads now.

They do see the big picture and that isnt giving Foxtel a free kick. As for replays during the ads how does that help 7? And lets cae it you are still going to buy a replay of the game if there is only commentry after a goal.

By the way I watch 7 because i have a a rating moniter and want to support 7. I think i am worth something like 10k viewers.
Just goes to prove the ratings are rubbish, when you have the option to view a better product, but for political reasons, or financial reasons, you choose watch an inferior product. Very strange!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Just goes to prove the ratings are rubbish, when you have the option to view a better product, but for political reasons, or financial reasons, you choose watch an inferior product. Very strange!

I am still watching it. The product doesnt look to different to me and I love ads.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

I'm sure you do love ads Plugger.... especially those ones with pretty girls talking about their feminine hygiene - that's as close as you will ever get to the part of their anatomy that they are talking about. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: