Goddard offer - SEN report

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard offer - SEN report

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:So media is saying that Saints haven't given him an offer yet.

I find that staggering personally.

Can only believe that they are either foolish or are going to trade him.
One gets the feel that he will be THE big name the club hangs out to trade.

I was curious mid year .........the clubs lack of urgency and I thought Goddard had made several noises bout wanting to stay.

In fairness to the club, it isnt going to offer him what GWS/Freo would and nor should it.

Facts are BJ's form has been just ok for 2 years - a long way from the so called best player going round mantle. He will still be enormous value to a near challenging side with greater midfield depth who can release him outside to finish for them. That aint us.

What does disturb me is........where are our ball users going to come from? but I guess Pelchen would say "the draft" cause by the time we are seriously troubling the top 4 again it will be a new batck of kids.
Yeah I agree, Pelchen is big on good users of the footy....8 score involvements again this week, 38 in last 4 weeks.

Find it a bit strange if he was to be traded for that reason, also our lack of guys in that age group, his wanting to stay, his worth to the club.

His form in the midfield and forward of centre especially in recent weeks, not sure why they waited so long to put him in there.

DK27
Club Player

38 score involvements in the last 4 weeks is a scary stat. Thats huge. Who has the skills to step up if he goes????

His role in the team has changed so what impact has that had on everyones opinion of him? Maybe the coach wants him as the outside player to use his kicking skills going into the forward line. He has also been the lead up forward at times which will reduce his stats but is an important team role.

As stated, hope he stays but fear he will go.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Just a quick question score involvements normally mean I chain of possessions so you can get the ball in the back line and kick it to the guy on the half back flank and if the ball continues up the ground until a score in a somewhat fluid continual team possession then everyone is thought to have had a score involvement....I remember hearing that some were and if that's the case it is hard to pinpoint exactly where his involvement came.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Just a quick question score involvements normally mean I chain of possessions so you can get the ball in the back line and kick it to the guy on the half back flank and if the ball continues up the ground until a score in a somewhat fluid continual team possession then everyone is thought to have had a score involvement....I remember hearing that some were and if that's the case it is hard to pinpoint exactly where his involvement came.
Not sure.

I get those stats from here each week

http://live-footy.heraldsun.com.au/Coac ... 0120142101

ace
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:The stupid thing about how the AFL system works is that hypothetically he could already have agreed to go to another club but won't anounce it until after round 23.

I reckon it would be good if player and club leave on good terms and even give him a farewell game. Should always be welcome back at the club just like Abblet will always be welcome back at Geelong.

No, the stupid thing is that AFL clubs have not woken up that if they allow players contracts to expire before trading a player they end up losing out.
In European soccer no club manager allows a player to enter a season with only that year left on his contract.
The player either re-signs a longer contract tying him for more years or is traded.

In the case of Goddard his contract extension should have been signed by this time LAST year.
Failure to do so and he is traded.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:The stupid thing about how the AFL system works is that hypothetically he could already have agreed to go to another club but won't anounce it until after round 23.

I reckon it would be good if player and club leave on good terms and even give him a farewell game. Should always be welcome back at the club just like Abblet will always be welcome back at Geelong.

No, the stupid thing is that AFL clubs have not woken up that if they allow players contracts to expire before trading a player they end up losing out.
In European soccer no club manager allows a player to enter a season with only that year left on his contract.
The player either re-signs a longer contract tying him for more years or is traded.

In the case of Goddard his contract extension should have been signed by this time LAST year.
Failure to do so and he is traded.

Thats because they have transfer fees and we dont. Anyway all I hope is that if BJ goes it will be to GWS but if he goes there he isnt going to play in a GF side. He is going for money and who can blame him. I would say if we havent made BJ an offer it is because we are up the s*** with the salary cap and knew we had to lose a great player. I would say BJ would have the most increase in salary so he is obviously the player to lose.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Goddard is the youngest member of our core and it should absolutely be top priority to re-sign him. It wouldn't be a great start in our 'remodelling' of the team to a more skilled outfit by losing the best user of the ball at the club in the prime of his career. He has always stepped up when given greater responsibility and I think he'd make a great captain over the next three years at St Kilda.

I'd much rather have Goddard playing for another 3-5 years and mentoring the likes of Siposs, Newnes, Ross etc than getting a mid-first round pick in a compromised draft.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Anyoneone else considering that his manager is just trying to up BJs price with us? Hence, getting more money from his client and making BJ look great because he stays despite massive offers. A couple of weeks ago he said he wants to be a Saint for life, hard to believe he would say it if he didnt want to or believe it.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

How can we trade him if he is a free agent?

Surely the other club would prefer to take him for FREE, rather than give anything up?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Hes restricted free agent so we get someone for him

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Anyoneone else considering that his manager is just trying to up BJs price with us? Hence, getting more money from his client and making BJ look great because he stays despite massive offers. A couple of weeks ago he said he wants to be a Saint for life, hard to believe he would say it if he didnt want to or believe it.

he may "want" to be a Saints for life, but money talks.

Lets face it, he will get 150-200k more a season elsewhere, and may have a chance at a flag.

Saints are still a bit tight on SC, wont offer as much, will free up about 600k if he goes, will get some compsentation.

Watters and Pelchen want to rebuild the list. Cant do that we SC pressures. The freed up money will allow us to be aggressive in trading or even free agency trades.

Despite the amiable look of Watters, I reckon he is ruthless and will do anything to get the Saints back up to the top four. You cant make an omlette without breaking eggs. bj may be the first egg broken.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
paddy
Club Player

The question that the club will be discussing is could they do more with the money that they need to spend to keep him, on someone, somewhere, something else?

If he leaves, I think it will be because we dont think he is worth what other clubs are willing to pay, not that we can't afford it.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Some of the the comments in this thread have left me scratching my head. This team will not be rebuilding. It doesn't need to. We are a couple of players short of being a top 4 team. A tall key defender and a secondary ruckman to help out Macca and we are back to where we should be (which is top 4). We have had a mediocre year, but if you look at the games we have lost (we have the LOWEST average losing margin by the way) and if you look at our performances, we are unlucky to be not playing finals. The Port loss has come back to bite us along with the other narrow losses including the loss to Richmond.

Secondly, the 'f*** off* comments directed at BJ are astounding. He has continually stated he wants to stay at the club. He may not get the most money that he can by staying with us (make no mistake, he will still get reasonable money by staying with us as well as the captaincy), but he will stay. He loves the club and he is extremely loyal. BJ is the type that would only leave if he felt he was betrayed and he felt that his loyalty was misplaced. This is not the case. The club loves him and wants him to stay as much as he wants to stay. Perhaps a few of us supporters should place a little more faith in BJ. Money is not everything and BJ knows that.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Some of the the comments in this thread have left me scratching my head. This team will not be rebuilding.
You better speak to Scotty Watters then as he seems to think we will be.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:We are a couple of players short of being a top 4 team.
I don't think so, we tend to not think about how much other sides have improved…

Hawthorn and Collingwood are clearly ahead of most for mine, then Sydney, WCE, Adelaide, North & Geelong are all young and building. Richmond, Carlton and Freo are improving.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
saint75 wrote:Some of the the comments in this thread have left me scratching my head. This team will not be rebuilding.
You better speak to Scotty Watters then as he seems to think we will be.
I will give him a call later today to set him straight. :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

If you do go BJ - best of luck and thanks for your HUGE efforts when the stakes were highest.

Financially, every man needs to look after himself, and his future family.

It seems the best outcome for us would be a mvoe to GWS (one extra draft pick) - if he goes, fingers crossed it's North and not West.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Robbo believes Saints have put offer to him, its just we dont want to pay over odds for just a good player.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/essendo ... 6453683076

Goddard's contract talks, meanwhile, are continuing.

He wants good coin, but the Saints believe they have offered him good coin. They are apart at this stage, although both parties want the same thing

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Thunda where can I read full version?

“Yeah….nah””
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:Thunda where can I read full version?

CAPTAIN BRENDON?

CLEARLY, St Kilda has to decide whether to keep Nick Riewoldt as skipper next year, or hand the responsibility to the next player.

The player who has emerged as his replacement is Brendon Goddard, who remains uncontracted for next year.

He was captain at the weekend and was a strong performer.

The Saints won't give him the captaincy to convince him to stay, but it is a powerful message from the club's two senior people -- Riewoldt and coach Scott Watters -- who spoke of the club's future leadership at the weekend.

If this was politics and not sport, it would be considered a smart play by the Saints.

He wants good coin, but the Saints believe they have offered him good coin. They are apart at this stage, although both parties want the same thing -- Goddard in a Saints jumper next year.

The captaincy talk certainly won't hurt discussions.

The upshot is Goddard gives up money if he stays, and if he goes, he likely gives up the captaincy.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Thunda where can I read full version?
http://www.perthnow.com.au/beta/old-afl ... 6453683076

matrix
Saintsational Legend

not
going
anywhere

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:not
going
anywhere

This.

Clever negotiation tool by BJ's management, that's all this "offer" is.

defacto
Club Player

word in perth is he just got a cottesloe golf club membership

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Robbo believes Saints have put offer to him, its just we dont want to pay over odds for just a good player.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/essendo ... 6453683076

He wants good coin, but the Saints believe they have offered him good coin. They are apart at this stage, although both parties want the same thing
n't

Thats at odds with other journos who think Saints haven't put in an offer yet.

I found the Pelchen interview strange, appeared to be having a dig at BJ's manager?

Getting a bit weird.