Saints Academy and the Future

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bbm
Club Player

Saints Academy and the Future

First post after long time viewing. The next 3 to 5 years will be interesting to say the least in terms of whether we can contend again. I find it a little hard to be optimistic that we could realistically make a grand final within 5 years given the new teams, the ability of the top teams to keep ahead of the pack like Collingwood, Geelong, Hawks etc. And our fairly ordinary recruiting over some of the recent past also effected by low draft picks because of our relative success.

we need some sort of edge I reckon and it's gone a bit quiet on here in relation to the role of the academy, who is leading it etc.

what can we expect from this academy? Can we really make average players better? will they target athletes from other sports and turn them into footballers?

I am not really sure and wonder whether it may just bring us into line with other clubs in terms of player development and not much else.

Anyway that's what I am curious about as I await seeing my first flag as I am 48 and currentlynthink I may be 60 before I see my first.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Academy and the Future

I think the academy is essentially a dedicated group of coaches who focus on kids. There aren't any amazing new techniques or cutting edge technology it will bring, simply more coaching, advice and focus on development for draftees.

Not to say it isn't valuable. I don't think there is any doubt at all that under Lyon we paid little attention to the development of young players and it is absolutely hurting us now. Through poor recruiting and development we now have a gaping hole in the 22-25 age bracket of players who should have 100 games under their belt and be approaching their prime.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

bbm wrote: as I await seeing my first flag as I am 48 and currentlynthink I may be 60 before I see my first.
I might be in a pine box before you see the Saints win flag No.2..... :shock:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
bbm wrote: as I await seeing my first flag as I am 48 and currentlynthink I may be 60 before I see my first.
I might be in a pine box before you see the Saints win flag No.2..... :shock:

and how long has footscray, and melbourne waiting.

bbm
Club Player

In theory with 18 teams we should next make a grand final in about 2019 - that's if we just perform equally in relation to the performance of the other teams (9 years on since last GF).

I know it sounds a bit negative but I really think that the Academy and our ability to make good draft selections on a consistent basis will determine if we can achieve this - maybe we should all be much more open minded about trading one or two of our superstars for higher draft slections - I wouldnt mind - if it starts making the future look brighter..

We may have a couple of quite comeptitive years left with the core group of superstars still performing quite well - but a good 5 to 7 year plan will be the thing that cuts the mustard in my opinion.

Pelchen and Watters seem to really good appointments (they need to be ruthless) and if the Academy is all that it is trumped up to be - then the leader of that - will be just as critical an appointment.

If you want your best chance to win a flag in the shortest possible timeframe we all need to be lot less sentimental - after 46 years of waiting - I'd do almost anything to see a flag and still be young enough to go and get wasted and enjoY!

Megsie
Club Player

Have 3 candidates but all contracted until end of season
For position of "director" could one be Malthouse?
Still has regular contact with Scott Watters!!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Megsie wrote:Have 3 candidates but all contracted until end of season

MM will never be a director of footy at any club.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

more coaches in the pipeline- to assist skills
get the footballs into their hands
http://www.rsn.net.au/audioplayer/1346029175.mp3

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
GRAMophone
Club Player

Funny - I was just thinking the same today. If MM doesn't end up at Carlton this might be a smokey. Just - he's had a year out of the coaching game and seems to be toying with whether the family want the intensity of a senior coaching position.

Chums with Scott. He just seems to be sucking up to the Saints lately?? I'm not a great fan of MM but might be able to tolerate him in this position.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

GRAMophone wrote:
Funny - I was just thinking the same today. If MM doesn't end up at Carlton this might be a smokey. Just - he's had a year out of the coaching game and seems to be toying with whether the family want the intensity of a senior coaching position.

Chums with Scott. He just seems to be sucking up to the Saints lately?? I'm not a great fan of MM but might be able to tolerate him in this position.

I dislike MM also, but no one can deny that he knows what he is doing when it comes to coaching and development. Not only at Collingwood, but also at West Coast and (to a lesser degree) Footscray.

I think MM would be a great addition to The Academy, as long as he didn't cast a shadow over Scott Watters in the head coaching role. Seeing as Scott and MM are obviously chummy, I think they could forge a good working relationship.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

not in our price range!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

There was a rumour around Choco Williams was leaving GWS after the re appointment of sheedy...........

thought thre might be a slim chance for our development/Academy.......

but has been appointed at Richmond in a similar role

good get for tiges

saint4life
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bbm wrote:In theory with 18 teams we should next make a grand final in about 2019 - that's if we just perform equally in relation to the performance of the other teams (9 years on since last GF).

I know it sounds a bit negative but I really think that the Academy and our ability to make good draft selections on a consistent basis will determine if we can achieve this - maybe we should all be much more open minded about trading one or two of our superstars for higher draft slections - I wouldnt mind - if it starts making the future look brighter..

We may have a couple of quite comeptitive years left with the core group of superstars still performing quite well - but a good 5 to 7 year plan will be the thing that cuts the mustard in my opinion.

Pelchen and Watters seem to really good appointments (they need to be ruthless) and if the Academy is all that it is trumped up to be - then the leader of that - will be just as critical an appointment.

If you want your best chance to win a flag in the shortest possible timeframe we all need to be lot less sentimental - after 46 years of waiting - I'd do almost anything to see a flag and still be young enough to go and get wasted and enjoY!
never too old to get wasted mate, although i haven't been for over 40 years...but...
if we win a flag, i'm getting wasted...for a week.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.