Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

BigMart wrote:It's obviously what he's worth..... If someone is willing to pay it

Value is determined by market ......
Agree, just pay him.

70s sainter
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Compared to Hayes and Roo, BJ is expensive.

Compared to Gram and Kosi he is cheap.

However if you are going to right the ship, you have to start paying enough to you best, that it does not cripple you with the rest.

It is probably unfortunate for BJ that he is up for renegotiation just when this form of list management is occurring, and unfortunate for the Saints, and Saint Fans, for it to coincide with free agency as in past years we probably could have traded a better outcome than pick 13.

For a while now the Saints have overpaid the best young guns. Ball was overpaid early in theory to keep him from walking, but as soon as he could walk he did with no compunction about doing it ina way that minmised vale that the Saints may gain. Anf yes Lyon and Ball did not see eye to eye, but equally a year after he lef the Saints Ball was fiiter than he had been for many years at the Saints. Gram after a magnificient GF jumpred up the salary ranks, but then did not sustain that GF form.

BJ for the last 2 years has beena good player, rather than a great player.

I But his contract this year is in the eye of the storm...and you have to draw a line somewhere.

Unless injury strikes BJ is very likely to play 100 games for the Dons.

Pick 13 can be anywhere from several to 300. Percentage wise it would lean towards the lower based on long-term trends.

This year does promise however that at around that mark we shoud gain at least a capable player that would play 100 games. Pelchen and Co. we assume have been burning the midinght oil to assess exactly how good the likely candidates that will be left are.

Expeactation of the pick 13 is going to be a lot, lot greater than normal for sucha pick due to this.

Its a good point about pick 13. Pelchan and Bains and the club etc would already have a pretty good idea of the players that will go around that pick. They have to compare those actual players vs goddard . Will the player give us ten years of service. Plus early on when they re only on 250 000 we can throw in another 400 000 player as well , and still come out even.
Its not as if they re gonna lose goddard and then go into the draft blind.
The alternative option would need to be a better one for us to let him go of course.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Don't we have to pay a minimum in the salary cap, tpp? 95%?

Bj leaving means we HAVE to probably pay MORE to players who don't deserve it anyway.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It's obviously what he's worth..... If someone is willing to pay it

Exactly, and that applies when we look-see for someone we want to bring in...the market will determine the value there as well

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Didnt someone at St Kilda say we will be very aggressive during trade period?

I'm not happy but by losing BJ we gain space. Caddy, Toy, Jacobs, Delaney, Hickey, Stevens, even Dom Tyson could be the big names coming in. I expect some pretty big cash offered for kids to be floated around to build our list. Man they would want to do something spectacular considering BJ is a favourite son.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
StGoddard18
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Didnt someone at St Kilda say we will be very aggressive during trade period?

I'm not happy but by losing BJ we gain space. Caddy, Toy, Jacobs, Delaney, Hickey, Stevens, even Dom Tyson could be the big names coming in. I expect some pretty big cash offered for kids to be floated around to build our list. Man they would want to do something spectacular considering BJ is a favourite son.
Agreed!

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Didnt someone at St Kilda say we will be very aggressive during trade period?

Yes, I mean at least after we lost Lockett we were somewhat compensated by the recruiting of Smith and Jones.

If we don't at least get someone like Caddy, I ain't gonna be too stoked.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:

Agree, just pay him.
It's called supply and demand - sometimes you may have to pay overs to retain a top player. How many players on AFL lists, including the Saints, are getting paid above market value? Even with coaches, Malthouse and Hird are probably being paid more than they're worth.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So Scully and Ward are worth over a million dollars a year? Just because one club pays silly money doesnt mean the other club should match it.

I know people think we are still a chance for a flag with current group but I reckon that is fantasy land stuff. The way I see it is that losing BJ sees us with a chance to quicken our rise again. The more lower picks the better. IMO BJ wouldnt have been part of our next flag anyway. I know people will say then lets just trade all the stars then but that isnt the way to go. Effects the side to much and no good for morale. At least this way we lost BJ but at least offered good money to try and keep him.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

some variation on the reporting
after the H_S we've got a story to make
FOOTBALL'S brave new world of free agency could begin with a bang with Saint Brendon Goddard expected to immediately table a four-year deal to shift to Windy Hill.

Goddard, a restricted free agent, has yet to recommit to the Saints, who have offered the utility a three-year deal worth about $1.9 million.

Goddard is expected to reveal to St Kilda he has received a four-year offer from Essendon on superior financial terms than the Saints had offered and one that he was prepared to accept if St Kilda cannot match the terms.

The Saints had hoped for a decision from Goddard either tomorrow, the first day of the free agency period which runs until October 19, or Tuesday, for this will impact on their free-agency and trade plans.

If Essendon does deliver what has been a widely-reported deal, and Goddard agrees to it, he and the Bombers must lodge a "form 41" with the AFL.

The Saints then have three days to decide whether they will match the offer. In the unlikely event that they do, and Goddard and does not accept it, he can either nominate for the draft or seek a trade.

If he does leave, the Saints are likely to receive a first-round pick as compensation.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/e ... z27xa9NHvB

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of Scully...Have the Saints thought about having more than one Goddard on wages?

Do we need any extra talent scouts?

battye
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Club is also capable of stuffing up sometimes Buckets?

I love the loyalty Saints fans have put in Pelchen, just excuse me if I'm not willing to just yet.

I mean, I've physically seen BJ bleed for the club and do everything to try and win it a flag....Chris has a long way to go before being bigger than that.
I agree 100%. We should pay players what they are worth, not some middle of the road figure because it's been reported that a few other clubs have done that.
What it's been reported that Goddard is asking for is not unreasonable, which is why I will be so disappointed if he leaves.

If it happens, it will be two years running that we've lost an extremely capable person because of ineptitude in contract negotiations. Two years running that we've lost people that did not want to leave.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

battye wrote:

I love the loyalty Saints fans have put in Pelchen, just excuse me if I'm not willing to just yet.

I mean, I've physically seen BJ bleed for the club and do everything to try and win it a flag....Chris has a long way to go before being bigger than that.
I agree 100%. We should pay players what they are worth, not some middle of the road figure because it's been reported that a few other clubs have done that.
What it's been reported that Goddard is asking for is not unreasonable, which is why I will be so disappointed if he leaves.

If it happens, it will be two years running that we've lost an extremely capable person because of ineptitude in contract negotiations. Two years running that we've lost people that did not want to leave.
I don't believe last years loss did not want to leave... but please we don't have to go there again. I love BJ, but when he is made accountable he is half the player he is when he in that loose man using his elite skills. I believe this is why we are not paying overs as he is not a complete package. Either way, like I said, they'd want to have something pretty amazing in their plans...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:

So you are happy to pay about 700K over 4 years to keep a guy who has one top 3 finish in the B&F. That makes him the top paid player at the club by a fair bit with the longest contract. Also something like 8th and 4th in the B&F for the last 2 years. And that figure obviously gets us real close to the cap which means we struggle to trade this year. The guy is also 27 years old. He probably isnt getting better either.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
battye wrote:

So you are happy to pay about 700K over 4 years to keep a guy who has one top 3 finish in the B&F. That makes him the top paid player at the club by a fair bit with the longest contract. Also something like 8th and 4th in the B&F for the last 2 years. And that figure obviously gets us real close to the cap which means we struggle to trade this year. The guy is also 27 years old. He probably isnt getting better either.
Do you think o'keefe at the swans would have been part of the next swans flag when he was 27?
I don't believe he had a norm smith at that stage.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
battye wrote:

Do you think o'keefe at the swans would have been part of the next swans flag when he was 27?

No I didnt. Do you think a player with one top 3 finish in the B&F deserves the highest money and the longest contract especially after his last 2 years? By the wy my opinion is we cant win a flag in the next 5 years whoever we have playing for us. Others will think differently.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

Agree, just pay him.
Just a very simplistic way of looking at it, the whole point is that nearly all players have to accept a lot less to stay at the club. I'm sure all of the recent re-signings have signed for less than 'market value', Joey, Fisher etc

If we have to break the bank it should be on someone 24-25 who is elite in either a key position or true midfielder. Even then, I don't want to see us write another 'Riewoldt' contract ever... Over 10% of the entire cap on 1 player.

Will be interesting to see what figures are flying around for buddy next time he is out of contract.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Crap. Value is relative to what each club needs at a given time.

As an example, if you already have six ruckmen on the list, like Port, then you're not going to chase Jonathan Giles, Robbie Warnock or Tom Hickey $400k a season. On the other hand, if you're short of talls as we are then we might stretch to paying them that much. That doesn't mean it's an absolute "market value" - it's simply their relative value to us.

BJ is only worth paying overs if he's going to be part of our next flag. I don't reckon he is, so I'm happy to see him go.

kaos theory
Club Player

maverick wrote:

Stupid comparison.

1. O'keefe was key contributor to that club, BJ has done very little over the last two yrs.
2. BJ is a restricted Free agent, o'keefe didn't have that advantage in his negotiations with the swans, therefore was stuck there
3. Swans have significantly extra dollars in their salary cap to pay players, we don't
4. Are you saying we match the don's offer? that would be the most stupid thing our club could do at this stage....he is no Tony Lockett

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Can anyone tell me where the notion of pick 13 as compensation for Goddard came from? Is it official or just speculation?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Can anyone tell me where the notion of pick 13 as compensation for Goddard came from? Is it official or just speculation?

in the compo bands it looks likely it's the pick that immediately follows our first pick unless we opt for another free agent. It is a little hard to accurately predict so could be saying end of the first round full stop so 20 something after priority and compo picks are taken out.

mohannair
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Can anyone tell me where the notion of pick 13 as compensation for Goddard came from? Is it official or just speculation?
As per the rule the players are classifed into different band between 1 & 5.

BJ will fall into Band 1 which means we will get a pick after the pick we have in our draf order.

Currently we have pick 12 & hence we will get pick 13, provided BJ is classified Band 1.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

anyone actually looked at his stats for the last few years thru prostats

based on that info only i wouldve offered him 600 for 4

f*** it
if he wasnts to go thats no loyalty for me
im all about loyalty

f*** him if he wants to go
first thing i would do is line him up of the back of the centre square, bend down when he is on the floor and say "how about that for loyalty money boy"
dead set

howlinwolf
Club Player

[quote="plugger66"

I know people think we are still a chance for a flag with current group but I reckon that is fantasy land stuff. The way I see it is that losing BJ sees us with a chance to quicken our rise again. The more lower picks the better. IMO BJ wouldnt have been part of our next flag anyway. I know people will say then lets just trade all the stars then but that isnt the way to go. Effects the side to much and no good for morale. At least this way we lost BJ but at least offered good money to try and keep him.[/quote]

I agree with you here Plugger.
As much as the thought of letting BJ go has been hard to swallow, I'm now satisfied it is the right thing to do.
The aim of the challenge is to win a flag and keeping BJ at these numbers is going to send us down the ladder for longer once Lenny, Roo, Dal, Monty etc retire.
As many have already said, it's time to load up on as many young guns as we can and let some of the elder players show them the way.
Then our next serious tilt can happen.
I've followed the Saints for 40 years and took our only pleasures in individual efforts. The last 10 years have been the most enjoyable by far and it's plain we need a solid team all the way down to 22.
(If only we had an extra $700 000 in our cap like Sydney to pay for 3 extra A graders over 3 B Graders ! )

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Free Agency officially starts in 20 minutes, at 10 a.m.

The unofficial SS meltdown starts at 10:01