Next Move

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Next Move

I really, really hope that Pelchen is as canny as he is reputed to be in picking prospects. I also hope Watters and Pelchen have something up their sleeve for next week. We've been dealt a major blow losing Goddard. There is no doubt about that. He was one of our best and now he's a bomber. I know we'll get a first round draft pick as compensation but let's be serious about this. Whoever we draft, irrespective of talent, they are not going to be a regular AFL player for two or more seasons. We need to jump on this free agency period and take advantage and recruit someone who can slot into the team immediately. Someone who is good and will make a dfference. Otherwise losing Goddard will be doubly hard to take. I keep thinking about Luke Ball also one of our best players in a Collingwood jumper given away for free. Absolutely the worst decision the club and Ross Lyon ever made. Our coaching staff need to be on top of this. I hope they are for all of our sakes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Next Move

If we recruit someone from FA then we will be compensated less for losing BJ. Forget FA and build for the future in 5 years.

cross2012
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:If we recruit someone from FA then we will be compensated less for losing BJ. Forget FA and build for the future in 5 years.
I suspect the plan will be to pick up a bunch of young blokes who can challenge for a flag in 3-4 years time. Perhaps front load a few contracts and then top up with established guns via free agency when we are ready to go. Sounds clinical but welcome to the new era that is free agency.
I think there is a significant up side for the club with Goddard moving on and wont be surprised if there are one or two more next year to enable better draft picks.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:If we recruit someone from FA then we will be compensated less for losing BJ. Forget FA and build for the future in 5 years.
Agree Pluggs, not sure how ppl still do have their head around FA. One thing I would love to do asap is sign Dal who is a FA next year...

When it comes to trading, a kid with the go home factor such as Koby, Caddy, Jacobs, Thompson or Toy would still be a good pick up. 19-21 year olds still have 10+ years on the list.

Considering Crows gave up a couple of picks in the 30s to get Lynch and Johnston who were both early teens we could get a bargain. Just food for thought

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Rosco
Club Player

Yes, draft and trade

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

We may still lose Ray to FA in which case we can then participate but if we don't then we cannot weaken our compensation

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
We may still lose Ray to FA in which case we can then participate but if we don't then we cannot weaken our compensation

Are you sure Ray is a FA. I doubt he would be.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:

Are you sure Ray is a FA. I doubt he would be.
No chance, he came to us at the end of 2008… we'll have to make a trade or he can go into the draft.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Agreed.

Cripps for Stevens is one in a straight swap.

Something to get Caddy.

Something to get Hickey.

Something to get Jacobs.

I know it is wishful thinking to somehow get all 4 however instead of wasting money on oldies we should be getting all the youngens we can get, play them, figure out who can play and who can't and then purchase wherever our needs dictate.

saint6709
Club Player

Get Zac Clarke who has asked to be traded to Vic and somehow get Mitch brown in a deal for cripps with steak knives and a chamois - job done ....,draft kids with whatever we have left

saint6709
Club Player

Get Zac Clarke who has asked to be traded to Vic and somehow get Mitch brown in a deal for cripps with steak knives and a chamois - job done ....,draft kids with whatever we have left

kaos theory
Club Player

damienc wrote:I really, really hope that Pelchen is as canny as he is reputed to be in picking prospects. I also hope Watters and Pelchen have something up their sleeve for next week. We've been dealt a major blow losing Goddard. There is no doubt about that. He was one of our best and now he's a bomber....

What? One of our best? have you watch us play over the last two years?

damienc
Club Player

He had two mediocre years by his standards but he is still a class act. He almost singlehandedly won the GF for the Saints in 2010. His best years might be behind him but Essendon doesn't think so and the Saints were prepared to pay him $1.9 over three years to keep him.