Why Caddy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Why Caddy?

This guy is being hyped up so much it's like waiting for Chritiano Renaldo or Chris Judd at his peak to pick which team he'll go to.

Do we really need him? I thought the focus was a backup ruck and big defender(s). IMO - No

Are we really willing to give up a pick 13 in an excellent draft when we can get a really close look at the talent this week?

Seems that there's more than just a little bit of hysteria surrounding FA and the up and coming trade week.

Thoughts -

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Kernal75
Club Player

Re: Why Caddy?

Apparently he doesn't want to go anywhere apart from Geelonh according to the HS this afternoon.
If that's true, then lets push on and use our extra pick on someone who wants to come to us.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:This guy is being hyped up so much it's like waiting for Chritiano Renaldo or Chris Judd at his peak to pick which team he'll go to.

Do we really need him? I thought the focus was a backup ruck and big defender(s). IMO - No

Are we really willing to give up a pick 13 in an excellent draft when we can get a really close look at the talent this week?

Seems that there's more than just a little bit of hysteria surrounding FA and the up and coming trade week.

Thoughts -
Agree we should keep our pants on in this. Seems like a bidding war is underway. Maybe we should bid him up so Norf or the Cats get stuck with an over-blown contract.
But if we can lure him on reasonable coin I am happy to have him for pick 13.
Whist - we do need a tall defender and a back-up ruckman - there are simply no really good ones available at this time.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:This guy is being hyped up so much it's like waiting for Chritiano Renaldo or Chris Judd at his peak to pick which team he'll go to.

Thoughts -

Pelchen is really focussed on filling the gap we have in that 23 to 26 year old bracket. He is already that much closer to that window than a kid who comes straight out of the draft. He is a number 7 pick who was really highly rated and has the potential to be an elite mid for 10 years.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

He's tough and a good size, but he's selfish (evidently), has a history of long term injury and to my eye looks slow.

I'd have him, but not for anything OTT.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
PJ
SS Life Member

His MO doesn't seem to fit under the "team first" banner. I know most of what is going around is mostly rumour but surely you'd be happy to get a contract with any of the teams in discussion at the right price.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Thoughts -

Pelchen is really focussed on filling the gap we have in that 23 to 26 year old bracket. He is already that much closer to that window than a kid who comes straight out of the draft. He is a number 7 pick who was really highly rated and has the potential to be an elite mid for 10 years.
Certainly agree that Pelchen will want someone in their early 20s.

We have plenty >28 and plenty <22 but stuff all in that key middle age group.

SaintTom
Club Player

Kernal75 wrote:Apparently he doesn't want to go anywhere apart from Geelonh according to the HS this afternoon.
If that's true, then lets push on and use our extra pick on someone who wants to come to us.
When he first requested a trade I think someone from the GC said Caddy won't be too specific in picking only one team that he will go to in case the deal falls through and he's stuck in the Gold Coast. The only team he apparently has ruled out and is refusing to talk with is Melbourne. Beyond that, it really depends on what he wants. And honestly, do you think he's going to tell a HS journo where he wants to go if they call him up? Of course not. Notice there are no quotes from him in that article. The only word I've heard from the GC camp is that he won't limit his options too much to screw up his chances of getting back to Victoria.

lloyd21
Club Player

The guy is a future captain... he is happy to go Stkilda Geelong or North the herald sun is biased Jon Anderson card carrying geelong member ...no one will know until 19th Oct

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:Apparently he doesn't want to go anywhere apart from Geelonh according to the HS this afternoon.
When he first requested a trade I think someone from the GC said Caddy won't be too specific in picking only one team that he will go to in case the deal falls through and he's stuck in the Gold Coast. The only team he apparently has ruled out and is refusing to talk with is Melbourne. Beyond that, it really depends on what he wants. And honestly, do you think he's going to tell a HS journo where he wants to go if they call him up? Of course not. Notice there are no quotes from him in that article. The only word I've heard from the GC camp is that he won't limit his options too much to screw up his chances of getting back to Victoria.

That sounds way too logical for me and wouldn't sell a single newspaper.

Viking3
Club Player

Watched the Round 2 2012 game at midnight last night (couldn't sleep).
Caddy hardly touched the ball, looked slow and unable to read the game.
This is one game only though and I trust Pelchen and Watters with their judgement.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
PJ
SS Life Member

Hypotheticals

Caddy vs Stringer

Caddy vs Mayes

Caddy vs Jaksch

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He can play look at his Vic Metro form he is a beauty.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Hypotheticals

Caddy vs Stringer

Caddy vs Mayes

Caddy vs Jaksch
Stringer could be anything possibly Jack Darling mark II.
Mayes I haven't really noticed until today
Jaksche is a big boy and looks the most likely to be a KPP for the long term in this years draft.

I would love to get one of the big boys and Caddy ideally. Caddy will be around a long time and if he bulks up could be judd like in a few years. Mayes would be the type that could drift out a bit because so many good players will go before him. He's the type I see getting out a fair way like early second round to late second round and could be if we get a draft pick for Cripps via west coast option.

lloyd21
Club Player

Kristian Jaksch

This is kid we will pick no 12 no doubt

We will go for Talls this draft

savatage
SS Life Member

Caddy is a gun developing midfielder. People are expecting Chris Judd like results - but it takes many good footballers years to become good. The same Goddard some of you are crying about leaving, took a long time to show he was any good, even our much loved & universally respected Lenny Hayes wasn't showing much in his first few seasons.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:it takes many good footballers years to become good. The same Goddard some of you are crying about leaving, took a long time to show he was any good, even our much loved & universally respected Lenny Hayes wasn't showing much in his first few seasons.
It took Lenny a lot quicker to prove himself as a star than Goddard.

If you think about it, it wasn't until 2009 for Goddard to have his first real break-out season. And we ended up only getting two outstanding seasons from him. Boy, Essendon have got him at a very inflated price.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
savatage
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
It took Lenny a lot quicker to prove himself as a star than Goddard.
Correct weight.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Lenny - AA - 5th year.
Brendon - AA - 7th year.

lefty
Club Player

Btw, is Caddy really worth pick #13 for us? I'm just curious as I don't know much about him, how does he compare to say, Adam Treloar from GWS?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Btw, is Caddy really worth pick #13 for us? I'm just curious as I don't know much about him, how does he compare to say, Adam Treloar from GWS?
Don't know much about him either.

From the comments I've read on here he could be anything from a Juddy upgrade to something you find in the vegetable aisle at the supermarket :?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I hope we do not trade our picks, 2 early picks in a strong draft will do me.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
patto
Club Player

Re: Kristian Jaksch

lloyd21 wrote:This is kid we will pick no 12 no doubt

We will go for Talls this draft
huh?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:I hope we do not trade our picks, 2 early picks in a strong draft will do me.
Do you think we have a chance next year. Or another 5 years?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
damienc
Club Player

I think the St Kilda brains trust hope that he could become another Lenny Hayes. Having said that there is only one Lenny Hayes and he is magnificent and irreplaceable. But if Caddy turns out to be even 60 percent of Lenny Hayes then he is worth pursuing. He is a natural midfielder good brain, good disposal, tough nut and young the key ingredient. Watters is on the record saying Caddy is a class act. Unfortunately Lenny is not going to be with us forever. I reckon he's got one more season left in him sad as it is. I think the Cats are ahead of us on Caddy anyway but you never know. If we get him he will be a goodun.