Gilbo to GC Trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Gilbo to GC Trade

plugger66 wrote:Valuable player. Keep him. need his run and carry.
At least soomeone understands that we can't possibly have a list of 40 players who can all deliver bullet passes over 50m off both feet...........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

No trade, I would rather keep Gilbert - looks like G Coast asking way too much for Caddy & Hickey anyway.

Reckon Caddy will go to Geelong.....

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert has had his turn. Time for new blood/

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Taking away the fact Ray wants out. If I had to choose between the two to stay it would be Ray every day of the week. Gilbo's kicking lets him down, was one of my favourites when he first started but his kicking was the one flaw he needed to iron out. I believe he hasn't done this. He is the age we need to keep but if it meant getting Caddy, Hickey and Brown, then he is replaceable... Siposs, Simpkin, Ray, Dempster all play his position better. Not to mention Markworth and Dunnell could come in and do just as good. Its sad, but its not like we can expect to give up Raph and expect a future gun in return...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Taking away the fact Ray wants out. If I had to choose between the two to stay it would be Ray every day of the week. Gilbo's kicking lets him down, was one of my favourites when he first started but his kicking was the one flaw he needed to iron out. I believe he hasn't done this. He is the age we need to keep but if it meant getting Caddy, Hickey and Brown, then he is replaceable... Siposs, Simpkin, Ray, Dempster all play his position better. Not to mention Markworth and Dunnell could come in and do just as good. Its sad, but its not like we can expect to give up Raph and expect a future gun in return...

Well the coaches obviously dont think that. Kicking is obviously very important but it isnt just that. His run is vital as is his spoiling.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Pluggs if you are going to hold me to account for previous posts - thats fine. But you can also hold me to account for things I got right.

I said all along Pelchen would go very hard for KPPs in their early 20s. Many on here told me i was an idiot and that we would go for 'best kids available' in the draft regardless of position.

Certainly - at this stage - looks like I was right on the money.
Con,
aren't you claiming talls we haven't secured yet...such as Hickey and Brown

maybe you do get ahead of the game

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:Taking away the fact Ray wants out. If I had to choose between the two to stay it would be Ray every day of the week. Gilbo's kicking lets him down, was one of my favourites when he first started but his kicking was the one flaw he needed to iron out. I believe he hasn't done this. He is the age we need to keep but if it meant getting Caddy, Hickey and Brown, then he is replaceable... Siposs, Simpkin, Ray, Dempster all play his position better. Not to mention Markworth and Dunnell could come in and do just as good. Its sad, but its not like we can expect to give up Raph and expect a future gun in return...

Well the coaches obviously dont think that. Kicking is obviously very important but it isnt just that. His run is vital as is his spoiling.
I agree those are his strengths and he does them very most most of the time, but no point running and turning your opponents inside out if you aren't going to hit a target. I acknowledge he is important but not irreplacable...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
widereceiver
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Taking away the fact Ray wants out. If I had to choose between the two to stay it would be Ray every day of the week. Gilbo's kicking lets him down
I like Farren Ray and I think he showed a lot when Watters finally gave him a crack, but his disposal is rubbish, no better than Gilbo's or Roo's.

In fact, could we afford a goddamn kicking coach down at Seaford?

Mebbe Kosi, seeing as most are potting him. It is sad to see a great white hope flounder but at least he can kick the ball.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
saintbob
SS Life Member

I'm still not sold on Caddy, not sure I'd be throwing Gilbert in.

Just get Hickey for our 2nd round pick, and use pick 13 to get the best available in the draft when its our turn.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:
St Ick wrote:Taking away the fact Ray wants out. If I had to choose between the two to stay it would be Ray every day of the week. Gilbo's kicking lets him down
I like Farren Ray and I think he showed a lot when Watters finally gave him a crack, but his disposal is rubbish, no better than Gilbo's or Roo's.

In fact, could we afford a goddamn kicking coach down at Seaford?

Mebbe Kosi, seeing as most are potting him. It is sad to see a great white hope flounder but at least he can kick the ball.
Except when he is 10 metres out dead in front and we are playing Richmond :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Just signed a new contract. Would be amazed if was on the table at all.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

People are so harsh on Gilbert.

2011 & 2012 he played with a shoulder injury. Had massive imlact on his form and confidence.

He played on in 2011 hoping for another Grand Final and he wanted to repay a debt he believed he owed the club and teammates.

In 2012 he played with the shoulder injury because he believed he could.

In round 2 he injured his back.

Played through pain until the mid season break.

Second half of the year his back recovered and his confidence returned.

The week after the season finished he went in for shoulder surgery.

As far as I am concerned Sam Gilbert is a required player and dedicated Saint.

At least in my eyes.

I hope the club agrees.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote:People are so harsh on Gilbert.

2011 & 2012 he played with a shoulder injury. Had massive imlact on his form and confidence.

He played on in 2011 hoping for another Grand Final and he wanted to repay a debt he believed he owed the club and teammates.

In 2012 he played with the shoulder injury because he believed he could.

In round 2 he injured his back.

Played through pain until the mid season break.

Second half of the year his back recovered and his confidence returned.

The week after the season finished he went in for shoulder surgery.

As far as I am concerned Sam Gilbert is a required player and dedicated Saint.

At least in my eyes.

I hope the club agrees.
Pretty much.

He is still a B grade player and there would be a handful of less skilful or valuable players that takes the field for us week in week out going forward.

I would be cranky to see him go to GC on the basis of a trade for Caddy as we need as much run and carry as we can get.

Yes we have become a quicker side with the intro of Saad and Tez Milez however those blokes do not run and carry.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

keep Gilbo for me... Bj has gone and if we lose Cripps we will be very light in half back defence runners.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
matrix
Saintsational Legend

saad does not run and carry????

ok maybe im confused as to what the def of run and carry is

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:saad does not run and carry????

ok maybe im confused as to what the def of run and carry is

It's like walking really fast when you have the ball - hope that helps........ :D

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

well bugger me he does plenty of that doesnt he??

runs like the wind, has a couple of bounces
isnt that run and carry?
:idea:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:well bugger me he does plenty of that doesnt he??

runs like the wind, has a couple of bounces
isnt that run and carry?
:idea:
Depends on where he's running from and where he's running too. His may be from the forward pocket to the goal square.

And at this early stage of his career young Ahmed is, unfortunately, being caught a few times. No doubt he'll get better with time.

However the run and carry we're looking for is probably run and carry from the back half through the midfield.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ooo like gram

LOL

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:ooo like gram

LOL
That's it :D

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
At least soomeone understands that we can't possibly have a list of 40 players who can all deliver bullet passes over 50m off both feet...........
Why not? Seems a good thing to aim for, at least. They are all meant to be elite at this level, aren't they?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

id just like most of them to be able to kick on the opp foot

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
True Believer wrote: At least soomeone understands that we can't possibly have a list of 40 players who can all deliver bullet passes over 50m off both feet...........
Why not? Seems a good thing to aim for, at least. They are all meant to be elite at this level, aren't they?
Just can’t happen. Not enough of them to go round.

Besides you need certain types of players such as Key Backs and Ruckman. No point getting a Full Back who is an elite kick if he can’t nullify his opponent. Or a ruckman who delivers bullet passes but can’t win a rucking contest.

The aim should be to have 22 players who can kick in the elite to good range and to try to avoid having players who are poor kicks.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Would you classify Dal as elite? I would, but his kicking on his non-preferred foot is average at best. That is a reason BJ is rated so high, because we are all human beings with stregths and weaknesses, and most footballers aren't too flash off their non-dominant foot....... and a lot aren't great off their preferred foot under pressure. some are even crap under no pressure on their dominant side !!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Why not? Seems a good thing to aim for, at least. They are all meant to be elite at this level, aren't they?
Sam Crocker is apparently an elite kick, as was Aaron Fiora. And yet they're not on the list any more because their elite kicking wasn't balanced with other skills.

So what we should be aiming for is players who are elite at everything. But how many of them can you name in the entire comp? Goddard? Maybe Fyfe will be close to that eventually? Ablett and Judd are good at most things but not great overhead. Franklin's good at many things but his kicking can be very wayward. Etc, etc.

So maybe what you end up with is a bunch of players who are good at some things and not so good at others, which means you weigh up their good points with their bad points. You don't reckon Gilbert has enough good points, others disagree. But focusing purely on his kicking is short-sighted.