Jamie Cripps-Mitch Brown? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jamie Cripps-Mitch Brown? !!

True Believer wrote:Maybe we ned to arrange a three way deal with someone like the bulldogs, who are reported to be into Koby Stevens. if WCE are prepared to swap Stevens (and maybe a pick) for Cripps, then we send Stevens to the Dogs for a pick (say 21). We then send that pick to WCE for Brown.

What level of pick would Mitch Brown and Koby Stevens be rated at??? I knew nothing of Koby Stevens prior to trade week so have no real feel of his worth.
I think WCE would prefer to deal directly with dogs without losing Brown. Stevens - dogs 2nd round straight swap.

StNoodles
Club Player

True Believer wrote:Maybe we ned to arrange a three way deal with someone like the bulldogs, who are reported to be into Koby Stevens. if WCE are prepared to swap Stevens (and maybe a pick) for Cripps, then we send Stevens to the Dogs for a pick (say 21). We then send that pick to WCE for Brown.

What level of pick would Mitch Brown and Koby Stevens be rated at??? I knew nothing of Koby Stevens prior to trade week so have no real feel of his worth.
There was much hype about Stevens pre-season.

Was tipped to be one of the comp's big improvers, but never really lived up to the hype.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

StNoodles wrote:

There was much hype about Stevens per season.

Was tipped to be one of the comps big improvers, but never really lived up to the hype.
Maybe due to Scott Selwood having a breakout season. Not to mention Priddis and Kerr killing it. He never really got a chance but yes, he is/was highly rated... I'd be happy to part with a 2nd or 3rd rounder if we miss Caddy.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

we will miss caddy
he'll go to geelong (imo)

they will offer more

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Seems Mitch is still very keen to get to the Saints, or get out of WC at least...

I'm thinking a deal will get done somewhere along the line once WC lose the chip on their shoulder... He'll walk a year later and they'll get nothing otherwise..

Should get through..

SaintTom
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:Seems Mitch is still very keen to get to the Saints, or get out of WC at least...

I'm thinking a deal will get done somewhere along the line once WC lose the chip on their shoulder... He'll walk a year later and they'll get nothing otherwise..

Should get through..
Heard the same thing. Despite WCE making a lot of noise about 'absolutely not' trading him, and being a 'required player they could see playing for the Eagles for 6 years or more', he has reiterated to his manager that he absolutely does not want to be in a WCE jumper next year, and he wants to play for the Saints.

This coupled with the fact that his manager has apparently said St Kilda still want him and know it's going to cost more than Cripps, makes me more certain than ever that Mitch won't be convinced to stay at WC, and there will be a fair trade worked out in the end. I doubt WC are going to want to hold him there completely against his will.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Is it time for us to throw our hands up and say OK we can't get him and turn to North and say how much for Hansen.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote:Is it time for us to throw our hands up and say OK we can't get him and turn to North and say how much for Hansen.
Why would we turn our attention from a full back to a foward...and a crap one at that!

I would say if the Mitch Brown trade breaks down then we might look at Luke Delaney and maybe Cam Pedersen but there are question marks over Pedersen's attitude.

Sainter for life.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So we spend 24 on Cripps + develop him and we only get 38 back?

Sounds like my performance in picking stocks. Buy high - sell low!
A fast track to ruin!

SinCitySainter
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:Is it time for us to throw our hands up and say OK we can't get him and turn to North and say how much for Hansen.
Why would we turn our attention from a full back to a foward...and a crap one at that!

I would say if the Mitch Brown trade breaks down then we might look at Luke Delaney and maybe Cam Pedersen but there are question marks over Pedersen's attitude.
I thought Hansen was originally considered as a Key backman. If I am wrong then I stand corrected.
However, while I think Brown is a handy player particularly for us I can't see us getting him without selling the farm.
I don't think West Coast need Cripps, particularly now that they have secured Wellingham. So what else can we offer?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mitch Brown doesnt want to spend another year at East Freo - that is for sure.
But the Eagles can force him to if they want.

SaintTom
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Mitch Brown doesnt want to spend another year at East Freo - that is for sure.
But the Eagles can force him to if they want.
Absolutely. Depends whether or not that really is in their best interests. Keep a player who does not want to be there? Probably not the best thing. Maybe they'll try to convince him to sign another contract next year? Very speculative.

Might end up being a case of a bird in the hand. Better to get a trade that can be negotiated with St Kilda this year then potentially losing him next year for less.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'm thinking if we really want Brown we'll have to pay overs. We seem desperate and I reckon WC know this and will try and force us to use a pick we don't want to. I hope we remain firm and don't offer too much and move on and look for an alternative.

sainter#4
Club Player

new article re brown from his management..

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/west-c ... 6493034860

looks like we have offered 3 years and the centre half back position for him. this is a trade that excites me, lets fisher play half back and create.

and also, with his manager putting pressure on the eagles i think over the next 2 weeks the trade will be made.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:new article re brown from his management..

looks like we have offered 3 years and the centre half back position for him. this is a trade that excites me, lets fisher play half back and create.

and also, with his manager putting pressure on the eagles i think over the next 2 weeks the trade will be made.
So what have we got to play with

Cripps + 34 for Brown And Stevens?

Seems fair.

Then we punt 23 on Hickey and get a later pick back.

We hold onto the BJ pick for a young gun and have 2 late 'hail marys' in the draft.

sax
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
sainter#4 wrote:new article re brown from his management..

So what have we got to play with

Seems fair.

Then we punt 23 on Hickey and get a later pick back.

We hold onto the BJ pick for a young gun and have 2 late 'hail marys' in the draft.
I wouldn't even mind if we had to chuck in a 3rd rounder to get it done!

By the way, ATM we have pick 24 not 23!

If GCS won't budge we trade Ray to Dees for Martin!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Do you really think WC want Cripps? I know he wants to go there but that is not the same.
They have just picked up Wellingham a quickish line breaker with good delivery skills.
Cripps is a similar player just with less runs on the board.
I think he is worth a lot more to us than to them and they will only pay accordingly.

lefty
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: So what have we got to play with

Seems fair.

Then we punt 24 on Hickey and get a later pick back.

Yes, this sounds good to me....
If a team has a player that wants to leave, the club doesn't really have much options, contracted or not, a unhappy employee usually doesn't perform well or really care

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

We are in the better position, despite our need for a fullback

Eagles don't win by keeping a disgruntled player, that wants to move

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Rumour that we offered Cripps and pick 34 for Brown and pick 38, which WC rejected. I think the pricks are gunning for either the Goddard compo pick or pick 24. They are dreaming.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:We are in the better position, despite our need for a fullback

O'Keefe from Sydney.

busso mick
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Sick Nal Danto wrote:We are in the better position, despite our need for a fullback

O'Keefe from Sydney.
Can I draw a long bow and predict a Norm Smith for Brown in 4 years time? :wink:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

O'Keefe from Sydney.
Can I draw a long bow and predict a Norm Smith for Brown in 4 years time? :wink:
That bow is soooooooooooooooo long i can't see the end of it..

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

busso mick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

O'Keefe from Sydney.
Save time waiting and just shoot yourself in the foot. Have to agree with Old Mate above about getting overexcited. There is a reason Mitch Brown doesn't play regularly for WC after 5 seasons on the list. He is treacle slow and won't be getting any quicker. Pet whipping boy over the last couple of years for WC supporters.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I hope we don't use our 2nd round pick to get Brown, I don't think he's that good… injury prone and struggling to crack it as their 3rd tall backmen.

Would rather chase Pederson or Thompson if west coat are going to be silly.