Caddy gone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: Caddy gone

Who cares, as someone said earlier Geelong were always in the box seat!!!

Lets just try our best to lure Brown, Jacobs, Gysberts and Hickey to the club whilst retaining our compo pick for the best young kid available.

suss
Club Player

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Not sure Ablett was ever touted as a top pick anyhow, ala Viney, Danniher this year??...

Perhaps the father/son pick at 40-odd was even considered a bit high at that stage, I cant remember exactly, but recall talk that his name got him a long way to being drafted/rated, and his talent wasn't anything outrageous..

It helps that he developed late and works as hard as anybody ever has..

Shrewd trading.

Correct. He was always a second or third rounder.
Well unless we borrow BM's time machine, we'll never know if clubs would have bid for him earlier under the amended rules…

Gaz may not have been forced to a first round, but Hawkins certainly would have, meaning Selwood wouldn't be there…

Don't even get me started here… If the rules had been changed 10 years ago, 'the greatest team of all' would have been lucky to win one flag.
Stop making sense...and I am glad you didn't bring up Scarlett or Nathan Ablett...that would've really sealed the deal.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

What is the big deal about this Caddy?
Have I been asleep during the last 2 years
must admit I don't follow interstate lists that closely but pretty sure I knew a bit about Judd by his second Year.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

whiskers3614 wrote:What is the big deal about this Caddy?
Have I been asleep during the last 2 years
must admit I don't follow interstate lists that closely but pretty sure I knew a bit about Judd by his second Year.
he's an interstate player in a team that you most likely wouldnt bother watching replays
a bit like Pavlich for most of his career, went un-noticed
24 games in two seasons, 22 this year, he is a good player at this stage of his career not flashy, but solid & consistent

Seeya
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Thanks
what position does he play?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:I'm not shattered. Geelong always had the upper hand with their compensation pick, so it was never going to fall our way. The club is not to blame. Obviously, they offered a reasonable draft pick (perhaps more than a reasonable one in my estimation) and Geelong paid overs and got their man. They can have him. With picks 13 and 24, we're in a perfect position to secure a player just as good as Caddy, if not better. This is not going to hurt us one bit. Don't fret.
I'm just trying to work out how Geelong paid overs??

The compensation pick that GC have acquired is linked with Geeelong's finishing position (this year - draft pick 16 or next year - DP??) - the desired factor for GC was that this pick can be used this year or next year hence if they use it next year they can spread the ages on thier list.

From all reports we were prepared to use pick 13 which is a lot lower than the pick GC will probably receive the only probelm being is that they would not have been able to use next year.

So if thats the case then we were prepared to pay overs!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah well we could all really see it
they had that compo and two early picks to trade
we had the 'supposed' 99.5% pick 13 to trade

no biggy
we'll use the goddard compo in the draft

unless something pops up in the next couple of weeks that fills our requirements

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Am I the only one shattered that we missed out on him? Or are we all just putting on a brave face?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Rosco
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Am I the only one shattered that we missed out on him? Or are we all just putting on a brave face?
not shattered. mids can be solved more easily than KPs.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Am I the only one shattered that we missed out on him? Or are we all just putting on a brave face?
It's disappointing.

However if the reports are true about what we would have needed to give GC to get the deal done then I'm comfortable with the outcome. And that's regardless of whether in 3 - 4 years he's the best player in the league.

He's a Cat now and we move on.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The offers are sure to come thick & fast now for that compo pick (?13). Not sure that some clubs (Ess, Coll) will offer up anything decent or equitable, but we will get plenty of offers !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:The offers are sure to come thick & fast now for that compo pick (?13).
Example of a thick offer :P

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Yaysaints wrote:Our problem is no father / son picks. It has helped Geelong Collingwood and the dogs.
I'm sure that we have far fewer 100 game players than any other team so our history repeats to screw us.
Hm, that's a good question actually. How many 100 game players has each club had over their history?

Collingwood: 163
Carlton: 162
Essendon: 155
Geelong: 155
Melbourne: 147
Brisbane: 140 = 30 + 110 (Fitzroy)
Richmond: 129
Hawthorn: 126
Sydney: 118
Footscray: 116
St Kilda: 115
North Melbourne: 114

So you're right, we're down there with a couple of clubs who've been in the competition for 30 years less than us! How about if we just look at the last 40 years?

Hawthorn: 77
Carlton: 69
Geelong: 69
Collingwood: 67
Essendon: 66
North Melbourne: 65
Footscray: 63
Melbourne: 63
Brisbane: 58 = 30 + 28 (Fitzroy)
Sydney: 57
Richmond: 56
St Kilda: 48

Right! That's a real serious difference there. No wonder we haven't had many father-sons! That said, I also can't remember that many at Hawthorn, even though they have the most 100 gamers. Josh Kennedy, Shane and Travis Tuck, Luke Ablett? None actually starred for the Hawks.

I wonder if anyone on this list of players who finished on 90+ Saints games in the last 40 years is going to hurt us?

99: Matt Maguire
98: Aaron Hamill
97: Matthew Young
94: Craig Devonport
94: Shane Wakelin
93: David Sierakowski
91: Gary Odgers

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote: 99: Matt Maguire
98: Aaron Hamill
97: Matthew Young
94: Craig Devonport
94: Shane Wakelin
93: David Sierakowski
91: Gary Odgers
How any rookie spots are available ? :mrgreen:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

bergholt wrote:
Yaysaints wrote:Our problem is no father / son picks. It has helped Geelong Collingwood and the dogs.
I'm sure that we have far fewer 100 game players than any other team so our history repeats to screw us.
Hm, that's a good question actually. How many 100 game players has each club had over their history?
it also points to another problem with the saints (and before I get hung and 1/4 yes we all love the club)
the better clubs keep their players for longer, so what do they do that we dont?
money, facilities, prestige
Its the reason those clubs keep winning GFs, and we, well we have one

Seeya
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

The list of 100 gamers in the past 40 years is damning, but 40 years takes us back to 1972, close to the start of our slide into the darkest years of the modern past, meaning the timing of the sample sucks for us.
How does that change if we make it the past 25 years instead, which would also sway the Hawks and Bumbers numbers unfavourably as you flush a good era for both clubs out of the sample.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: money, facilities, prestige
That's BS. The club with the most money, best facilities and highest prestige has 2 flags in 60 years - collingwood, well behind the poorest club with the worst facilities - north who have what 4 in last 40?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He said his heart wasn't really in his last two years of footy, probably a bit honest....I like to think people apply themselves regardless of circumstances. I guess it's been spoilt with the character of some of the guys around the club recent years.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He said his heart wasn't really in his last two years of footy, probably a bit honest....I like to think people apply themselves regardless of circumstances. I guess it's been spoilt with the character of some of the guys around the club recent years.
Far too honest I thought. What a little mummy's boy. Cannot believe he has said his heart wasn't in it. Gold Coast must be furious. Thank god he didn't come to us.

How many of our players do you think "haven't got their hearts in it". None I would hope. If there are. Get rid of them.

8856brother wrote:
SainterK wrote:He said his heart wasn't really in his last two years of footy, probably a bit honest....I like to think people apply themselves regardless of circumstances. I guess it's been spoilt with the character of some of the guys around the club recent years.
Far too honest I thought. What a little mummy's boy. Cannot believe he has said his heart wasn't in it. Gold Coast must be furious. Thank god he didn't come to us.

How many of our players do you think "haven't got their hearts in it". None I would hope. If there are. Get rid of them.

I agree. Fancy if you got a sook like Gary Ablett senior.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:

I agree. Fancy if you got a sook like Gary Ablett senior.
Whatever Plugger. I don't like his attitude. Didn't comment on how good or bad a footballer he is, or is going to be. Obviously you would have him. I wouldn't touch him mate. Just my opinion. Glad he's now a Pussy. Pity for him Scarlett has retired. They would make a great pair.

Would you be happy if Goddard came out and said his heart wasn't in it at the Saints?

dragit wrote:
That's BS. The club with the most money, best facilities and highest prestige has 2 flags in 60 years - collingwood, well behind the poorest club with the worst facilities - north who have what 4 in last 40?

Doesn't North have really good facilities now?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

miskycat wrote:
dragit wrote:

Doesn't North have really good facilities now?

Norf did not have those facilities when they were winning flags

I love this club