Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

evo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
St Ick wrote:Brian also mentioned a player considered top 15? Any word on what he is talking about as thats been missed in the Hickey excitement.

Considering our recruiting, what are the chances of a certain Satnav company coming on board with some sponsorship dollars???
No idea mate I would love to know what this is about.
GC zone player Boston ????
So just to clarify. As part of the deal we may be getting GC zone player Andrew Boston? That would be nice, he's a highly skilled midfielder.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dont know about this.

A bit undecided.

Two things we desperately, desperately need is a ruck to help out big Mac, and a genuine Fb to help out Simpkin, Gwilt, Sam Fisher etc.

So the wash up - bj not worth $750k over three years. We get pick 13 and use him on a 21 y.o with potential. We use #12 on a 21 y.o with potential.

Our first pick is #25 and #26 and we still dont have a FB.

IMO we also need a one or two year stopgap ruckman while Hickey matures and Mac comes into his prime.

Our forwards look Ok. Roo, will be around for a couple more years, Milne was AA this year so probably another year Saad and Milera look Ok.

Mids - we have Lenny for one more, Joey and Dal for two or three, Jack and Armo coming into their prime, and the likes of Ross, Newnes, Ledger, Dunnell and Curran coming on.

Rucks - still thin with big Mac and Hickey

backs look good except for a FB.

So all in all it seems OK, we may see glimpses in 2013 from Lee and Hickey but we wont know to at least well into 2014.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Boston??

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Come on down if true

#1 Ryder fan
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
St Ick wrote:Brian also mentioned a player considered top 15? Any word on what he is talking about as thats been missed in the Hickey excitement.

Considering our recruiting, what are the chances of a certain Satnav company coming on board with some sponsorship dollars???
Sorry mate it was a tad too obscure, satnav company = Tomtom... considering our abundance of Toms....

About the top 15 player would love to know more...
Haha, yeah mate all over the satnav yarn, just wanna know what this top 15 player thingy is all about.

kaos theory
Club Player

damienc wrote:This decision is very worrying.

What the St Kilda brains trust has decided is that Hickey in terms of value to the team can be equated with Brendan Goddard because that is the compensatory pick we've used to get him.

I share the views of many others and hope he turns out to be the superstar that Watters and Pelchen think he is going to be.

Clearly they rate him very highly indeed.

I personally don't think that the form he has displayed so far for the Suns warrants comparison with Goddard. Far from it. But that is the way the St Kilda brains trust must see it.

Either way it is a huge call.
Can we get over this fascination with BJ? He has done nothing over the last 2 years for us. He didn't want to play for us anymore, unless we paid him massive dollars, so I don't think we lost letting him go.

The only valid comparison is to compare pick 13 moving down 12 or so places, to get Hickey. I don't know how good he is. He seems to have a decent amount of ability and is no more risk than an untried player in the draft at pick 13.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Reading through this whole thread I can not believe the hysteria in pick 13

So many think we were a shoe in for a champion..........even use of the word messiah

FOR PICK 13

histrory does not support that

In .........Lee and Hickey + 25 + upgrade to 26 from 37

Out goddard (already received 10 years service from him) and pick 12

not as bad as what many making out.

saint4life
Schillaci
Club Player

Don't mind it. Time will tell of course. Just got to hope we've made the right call.
Getting two players with some age and development behind them who address some weaknesses on our playing list can't be faulted at this stage.
Both Toms have enjoyed a positive 2012 and whilst our trades for better or worse is up for speculation at least the club has a fair idea of what they've got, more so than 18 year old rookies who at pick 13 come with no guarantees.
For what it's worth...Pick 13 in recent times : T Adams, Tape, D Talia, T Lynch, Brad Ebert, J Roo, Hurn, Bate, Schammer, Stanton.

SuperDuper
Club Player

More precisely
In: Lee and Hickey + 25 + 26 + 46 + 47

Out: Goddard + 12 + 37 +57

Sobraz
SS Life Member

where does this leave Warnock??... :lol: 8-)

thank f#%K...

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Andrew Boston

From Broadbeach QLD

18 years old (still eligible and selected to play for QLD u'18's this year).
182 cm
75 kg

Has played about 10 NEAFL games in the seniors at Broadbeach after breaking in after the 18's championships last year. As a small forward has already grabbed bags of 6, 5 and 4 goals. A couple of weeks ago was nominated for the NEAFL Rising Star award.

Was named QLD best against Dandenong last weekend and kicked a couple of goals playing as a midfielder. Has silky skills and reads the play well.

Is part of the leadership group for QLD u18 in the upcoming championships where he expected to play through the middle and is without doubt one of the best prospects up here for the upcoming draft.

Keep an eye on this kid because I reckon he has a big future.

#1 Ryder fan
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We paid overs for Hickey but at 21 and a developing ruckman he's exactly what we need right now.

Hickey could be a ten year player for us.

With Hickey and Lee in, assuming they'll be in our 22, where does that leave Kosi? Is he no out of the side I assume??

Does Lee free Roo up to go further up the ground more often?

Can McEvoy float back if Hickey plays and allow Fisher to run out of defence which we need more of?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

From bigfooty

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the zone selection wasn't part of it??

#1 Ryder fan
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

So just to clarify. As part of the deal we may be getting GC zone player Andrew Boston? That would be nice, he's a highly skilled midfielder.
I thought I read it. But its either been edited out when he changed the picks or I read it all wrong. Sorry guys its definitely not there now... :oops: I heard we arent into Boston, I wanted Cameron. Ah well, Hickey down... next move!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Maybe the zone selection wasn't part of it??

Sorry...how does Boston fit into this?

Or perhaps rather, how is he rumoured to fit into it?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
howlinwolf
Club Player

O.k I've had a big day at work, had a few and have tried to digest the first three pages and then skipped to here.
So please cut me some slack...
My thoughts..

We need a back up ruckman big time.
One that has a tank, can leap and will be ideal considering the new interchange rules. Tick

Have we already done our homework on the draft prospects and see there are no other good ruck options available ? Hickey could be rated as the best ruck option available even considering the draft. Tick ?

We got some good second round picks as well. Could they be used with Cripps to get Brown from WCE ? Thus potentially fixing another glaring gap we have at full back ? Tick ?

We still have a few good options to rotate through the midfield. We can hang for a year or three there. Ruck and full back are the priorities atm.

Can we ever be sure young draftees are going to end up better than Hickey,Lee and maybe Brown ? Doubt it. Tick

Lastly, we got Goddard under a lucky circus pants thanks to our dear friends at Carltank. TICK !
We got 10 great years out of him as an absolute bonus and now we roll the dice with Tom Hickey in exchange who could potentially be a winner for the next 10 years. Tick ?

20 years out of nothing. Tick ?

On the flip side, I must admit plugger's thoughts did cross my mind. He could get homesick and want out early. ??

In the end, it's a roll of the dice to some extent. There are plenty of good news stories and bad in trading/drafting. No club are the exceptions.

Overall I'd say in a very difficult trading period for all clubs (apart from the Filth) we did o.k
Last edited by howlinwolf on Tue 23 Oct 2012 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
realdeal
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:
damienc wrote:This decision is very worrying.

What the St Kilda brains trust has decided is that Hickey in terms of value to the team can be equated with Brendan Goddard because that is the compensatory pick we've used to get him.

I share the views of many others and hope he turns out to be the superstar that Watters and Pelchen think he is going to be.

Clearly they rate him very highly indeed.

I personally don't think that the form he has displayed so far for the Suns warrants comparison with Goddard. Far from it. But that is the way the St Kilda brains trust must see it.

Either way it is a huge call.
Can we get over this fascination with BJ? He has done nothing over the last 2 years for us. He didn't want to play for us anymore, unless we paid him massive dollars, so I don't think we lost letting him go.

The only valid comparison is to compare pick 13 moving down 12 or so places, to get Hickey. I don't know how good he is. He seems to have a decent amount of ability and is no more risk than an untried player in the draft at pick 13.[/quote

Goddard really has nothing to do with what we get for pick 13! we didn't trade Goddard for that pick, he left and that was our compensation. Obviously Goddard is worth more than that and would've got more for him if we ourselves traded him.

How we have to rate this trade is where would Hickey go in this draft and then take into consideration the swapped picks.
I'm not sure if this is a good or bad trade or not, I would've preffered to have got him with a 2nd rounder but if he's rated so high......

I'm actually more concerned about what we'll do about KPB as we still don't have one.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

One question, would these two guys have been picked up for 12 and 13, or even earlier.
If the answer is yes, then we have in essence two first round draft picks who have already had a couple of years in the system giving them a chance to mature.
Every draft and trade is basically a speculative investment, some work out, some don't.
At least we got our man, let's see if they can get West Coast to release their grip on Brown.
Actually watched the last game against Carlton yesterday, and Cripps was quite good, West Coast's greed and inflexibility will cost them a good mid fielder and lose a potential defender for nothing.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
villasaint
Club Player

Time will tell, happy to pick him up though. Gutsy!!!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Sorry to be negative, but I reckon its a cr*p deal....look at his highlights (and remember these are his highlights)...and tell me he's a first rounder....my 10 year old is a better kick.

Our recruiting department are like kids with a $20 bill....can't wait to spend their early picks.

Don't be taken in by the fluff of the later picks....we have a rare as hen's teeth chance to pick up two young guns and we blow it on speculative trades that the two new clubs must still be chuckling about.

And we still don't have a full back........cxan't wait to see what we throw at Brown now.........Cripps and the rest of our picks.....WTF?

Nee!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Pick 13 :shock:

I'm admittedly ignorant, but why did we have to throw everything else in as well?

We still need a big defender, hopefully they don't get silly....

So I guess I'm happy with the pickup of a ruckman, but just a bit cautious about the pricetag.

bergsone
SS Life Member

SuperDuper wrote:More precisely
In: Lee and Hickey + 25 + 26 + 46 + 47

Out: Goddard + 12 + 37 +57

That looks alright...could be better,could be worse

now to come up wth a key back....that is the glaring weakness we have got

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:Don't mind it. Time will tell of course. Just got to hope we've made the right call.
Getting two players with some age and development behind them who address some weaknesses on our playing list can't be faulted at this stage.
Both Toms have enjoyed a positive 2012 and whilst our trades for better or worse is up for speculation at least the club has a fair idea of what they've got, more so than 18 year old rookies who at pick 13 come with no guarantees.
For what it's worth...Pick 13 in recent times : T Adams, Tape, D Talia, T Lynch, Brad Ebert, J Roo, Hurn, Bate, Schammer, Stanton.
Wasn't Dal Santo pick 13?

Nee!
rexy
SS Life Member

Well debated thread, my take, 13 seems like overs but if he plays 100 games its probably better than average? I'm not a 2 genuine ruck men in my best side type of a guy but its working for WC, Sydney and at times Essendon and Carlton plus I'm not a coach! Goddard is a massive loss and an elite player but after 10 years he left, glad we got compensation at all as I'm not sure if offering compensation is really in the spirit of free agency at all! HOpe we recruit a FB and have at least 3 kids come into the system some how!

Maybe this year?