So who actually plays?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

So who actually plays?

All players are fit.

Who plays out of Kosi, Lee, Wilkes, Hickey and Stanley?

How many?

This is considering Roo is playing and fit of course.

Mac also plays because regardless of his inability to win hit outs consistently, he is our only ruck.

So what happens?

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: So who actually plays?

Kosi does not play
Wilkes is back up and plays half the games
Hopefully we can rest Roo periodically so he does not carry niggles

rexy
SS Life Member

Good question, at this stage I say Mac Roo Stanley Kosi would be the 4 picked round 1, that is very conservative selection I know! Would have thought a kid who played 8 games at GC and another from the WAFL would have to have a pretty good preseason to displace those guys! Of course Watters may intend to play 2 genuine rucks and 3 tall Fwds in which case Stanley and Hickey both come into play for the 2nd ruck and Wilkes and Lee for the 3rd tall.

Would love it if by round 6 our best 22 was Mac and Hickey in the ruck and Roo Stanley Lee fwd. that would be massive progress if they were all deserving of those spots!

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Good question, at this stage I say Mac Roo Stanley Kosi would be the 4 picked round 1, that is very conservative selection I know! Would have thought a kid who played 8 games at GC and another from the WAFL would have to have a pretty good preseason to displace those guys! Of course Watters may intend to play 2 genuine rucks and 3 tall Fwds in which case Stanley and Hickey both come into play for the 2nd ruck and Wilkes and Lee for the 3rd tall.

Would love it if by round 6 our best 22 was Mac and Hickey in the ruck and Roo Stanley Lee fwd. that would be massive progress if they were all deserving of those spots!

Where do the rucks play when not rucking? It would ba very tall forward line and would lack defensive pressure.

|Andy|
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
rexy wrote:Good question, at this stage I say Mac Roo Stanley Kosi would be the 4 picked round 1, that is very conservative selection I know! Would have thought a kid who played 8 games at GC and another from the WAFL would have to have a pretty good preseason to displace those guys! Of course Watters may intend to play 2 genuine rucks and 3 tall Fwds in which case Stanley and Hickey both come into play for the 2nd ruck and Wilkes and Lee for the 3rd tall.

Where do the rucks play when not rucking? It would ba very tall forward line and would lack defensive pressure.
Don't need defensive pressure when Roo, Lee, Macca and Hickey pull down those marks!

rexy
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

If it lacked defensive pressure and didn't work then you wouldn't do it! If Roos tank, Lees mobility and Stanley's speed meant we could pull it off and just rotate the rucks through the bench with the occasional stint fwd to relieve a benched fwd then we would have massive fire power!

Not likely to happen but best case scenario if everyone reached their full potential! aka eagles when they have played Kennedy Darling Lynch Nat and Cox!

Maybe this year?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

People scoff at the term 'bringing the ball to ground'

Must say I'm curious to see how the smalls go if the slighter built forwards are unable to take a contested mark....

ace
Saintsational Legend

Three tall forwards and one ruck.
One of the tall forwards goes into the ruck when McEvoy goes to the bench for a rest.
The first ruck will need more rests as the umpires will be throwing the ball up at stoppages.
Throwing the ball up will test the ruckmens ability to keep up with the play.
The umpires don't have to wait for players to get out of the way.
(Am I the only one who has noticed that players only clear a path for the umpires to bounce when their ruck is in position).

Reiwoldt first tall forward
Lee or Wilkes second tall forward
Stanley or Hickey third forward, part time ruck
McEvoy first ruck
Koschitzke finished.
That means we have two spare tall players to cover injuries.

Wilkes is all at sea as a defender but maybe Lee can play back.

Koschitzke may be cut or plays for Sandringham if he is still under contract.
I can't see him ever being fit enough to be a tall defender again and he can't lead or defend as a forward.

I think the club is planning for the day when Riewoldt finishes up.
They want to get their talls sorted before they concentrate on mids in future years.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Hickley will quickly go past McEvoy as our No 1 ruckman IMO. Big Mc will need to lift considerably to hold his position IMO.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Saintersss
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Hickley will quickly go past McEvoy as our No 1 ruckman IMO. Big Mc will need to lift considerably to hold his position IMO.
Big Mac is a lot better than you give him credit for. His ruckwork is a weakness, but he is strong in most other areas. Hickey still has a lot to prove.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Hickley will quickly go past McEvoy as our No 1 ruckman IMO. Big Mc will need to lift considerably to hold his position IMO.

I doubt that will happen. Ben is improving every year and would even be a chance for captain in 2014. Luckily you werent on the the list management team for WCe and Freo. They would have lost Cox and Sandy.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

We'd be mad to play Kosi & Wilkes ahead of Lee & Hickey round one.

If we are going to make the finals next year I would think it's on the back of these new guys bringing something to the team… If we aren't going to make the finals, then we definitely need to start getting games into our 20-25 year olds ahead of 30 year olds. I know Wilkes will only be 27 next year, but he is has to be back-up compared to 2 guys we just spent picks 12 & 13 on.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I'm with Dragit. We fought hard for Hickey, we must think he is worth it. He should play Round 1, as should Lee.

rexy
SS Life Member

Don't think it is reasonable or realistic to suggest who plays round 1 until there is some pre season under the belt! How do they understand the systems, do they work hard, do their team mates trust them, is their skill set up to scratch in the areas that the coach thinks are important for their role position?

That is why I think Roo Kosi Mac and Stanley are all locks for rd 1 if fit! They have ticked these boxes already!

Maybe this year?
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Wilkes and Kosi play round 1, i will tie bricks to my hand and jump off a pier.

In saying that, i will look at Pre Season form. Which i am expecting Lee and Stanley to jump ahead. I expect the same from Kosi, Not much.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Pointless playing Kosi - we know he is only capable of 4-6 decent games per year. So lets use him in those 4-6 where we actually really need him (through injuries or suspensions).

Roo - Straight in - but managed - maybe play 2 of every 3 games (knees)
Tommy Lee - Straight in
Stanley - Straight in

Wilkesy - good back-up/depth - play 1 in every 3.
Hickey - Developing ruckman putting big pressure on Macca

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Wilkes and Kosi play round 1, i will tie bricks to my hand and jump off a pier.
That would be a very sad ending for you clarky. Very sad indeed :(

Nonetheless, bookmarked :P