Nick Winmar to play the quater back role?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick Winmar to play the quater back role?

We can argue all we like but at the end of the day 2010, 2011 & 2012 mean nothing.

It's what Winmar does now over the summer and then during the 2013 season that will seal his fate.

He has the tools; now it's up to him.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:Two words....... Tony Micale.

....and now a few more words.....

I think a player such as Winmar could be a the perfect project for Micale....if anyone can get the best out of him, Micale is the man!!
Micale did get the best out of Ensign Parker. Then again, he brought out the worst in Captain Binghamton.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Isn't he from WA?

Will be kept longer than others as we all kow the WA bias this coach has, and not just in players either.
was wondering how long it would take for this comment :roll:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

dud!

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

I watched him early on in the season and then again after he was dropped. The improvement in all aspects of his game where clearly evident. The way he moved the areas he ran to and the ground he covered. He had greater presence and really looked like he thought he belonged. His numbers improved also and his disposal and defensive work was fantastic.

Yet he still wasnt in the top 6 in the last few games if i recall.
According to who?

According to me and that is all that matters. I want this guy to make it. He is a great guy and seems to do all the right things on the track and before a game. I hope i am wrong. I want to be wrong. I want to see what it is like to be wrong.

shmic_s
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:According to me and that is all that matters. I want this guy to make it. He is a great guy and seems to do all the right things on the track and before a game. I hope i am wrong. I want to be wrong. I want to see what it is like to be wrong.
Ah... you do make me laugh at times Plugger.

Where is he...

BigMart that is...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
]

According to anyone who follows footy and understands when players have their contracts extended. He had shown nothing in the VFL, was gifted a couple of senior games and again showed nothing, except that he couldn't cope with being tackled to the ground. Signed a two-year extension shortly after.

Extra size helps, but it doesn't fix his poor work rate and inability to get the ball.

So according to no one other than people on here. :shock: A group of people that don't see him train don't know what programmes he's on don't know what future roles the club has for him. Good football judges see things that others don't sometimes.

How dare you suggest a bunch of idiots with big opinions and muscly typing fingers don't know more than the entire staff of the St Kilda and Sandringham football clubs. This is an outrage and I have a good mind to report you to the mods for such insolence.

Some of us have watched games of VFL football and it's not just the cheap full strength beer and and the fact that you can lie down across the seats after drinking a little too heavily during the development squad game -most are up and about in time to boo the senior boys on.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:According to me and that is all that matters. I want this guy to make it. He is a great guy and seems to do all the right things on the track and before a game. I hope i am wrong. I want to be wrong.

I want to see what it is like to be wrong.
... as distinct from all those other times...? :wink:

I hope Nick make it too Pluggs...
Would be a lovely touch of footy romance if he could earn the right in a couple of years to take over the number 7 jumper for the Saintas. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:According to me and that is all that matters. I want this guy to make it. He is a great guy and seems to do all the right things on the track and before a game. I hope i am wrong. I want to be wrong.

Would be a lovely touch of footy romance if he could earn the right in a couple of years to take over the number 7 jumper for the Saintas. 8-)
Pretty sure he doesn't want the #7, just as he wants to be known as Nick not Nicky. The players do call him Cuz though.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Austinnn
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:

With respect Dave, I'd suggest that it's time we put this type of familial romanticism on the backburner for a while as has never worked for us as far back as I can remember, from Luke Beverage to Fergus Watts to Brett Peake to poor ol Raph Clarke; "Wouldn't it be lovely if" is the reason we took these players over others who could have been much better.

Nick Winmar said from the get go he wanted to be his own man, not riding on his famous cousin's coattails, so he needs to put in a shift like the end of last year, build his consistency and determination to survive beyond next year. Family or not, we can't afford to indulge right now.

Besides as far as I'm concerned, all Saints are family, and having the same surname or not won't mean anything to me.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
vacuous space
SS Life Member

VFL results would suggest that it's optimistic to think he's ready to make a jump. I think he had 20 touches twice and wasn't named in the best all season. While neither of those are the best measure of how a player is doing, it's hardly an encouraging sign either. He's never been a big ball winner and he doesn't have elite level endurance. Right now he looks every bit the tweener that Raph Clarke was. Too much of a big for the middle; too small to play big. Right now, it's hard to see him achieving even what Raph did.

His disposal quality will only get him so far. If he's going to make it at the top level, he's going to have to either find more of the ball or become more of a defender. We're not going to force feed him the ball. You can't do that anymore. We get plenty of rebound out of our back six anyway. We got 2-4 rebounds per game out of nine of our players. I bet most couldn't guess who got the most without looking. Winmar needs to be ready to step in for one of the bigger guys if there are injuries. Right now, I think he's a long way off and he's not going to get a lot of time. If we add a FB and free up Fisher or Gwilt, he's going to find it even harder. And would any of you really play him ahead of Newnes or Siposs?

I'm not optimistic about his chances. Like others, I'd be very happy to be proven wrong though.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:With respect Dave, I'd suggest that it's time we put this type of familial romanticism on the backburner for a while as has never worked for us as far back as I can remember, from Luke Beverage to Fergus Watts to Brett Peake to poor ol Raph Clarke; "Wouldn't it be lovely if" is the reason we took these players over others who could have been much better.
David Sierakowski and Stevie Lawrence weren't superstars, but both were serviceable for a few years. We opted out of Andrejs Everitt - that was OK - and Jack Riewoldt and James Frawley - not so great.

Taking someone with a family connection doesn't always fail, but when it does, we remember it.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

What is Brett Peake's familial connection to the club, Austinnn?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Austinnn wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:I hope Nick make it too Pluggs...
With respect Dave, I'd suggest that it's time we put this type of familial romanticism on the backburner for a while as has never worked for us as far back as I can remember, from Luke Beverage to Fergus Watts to Brett Peake to poor ol Raph Clarke; "Wouldn't it be lovely if" is the reason we took these players over others who could have been much better.

Nick Winmar said from the get go he wanted to be his own man, not riding on his famous cousin's coattails, so he needs to put in a shift like the end of last year, build his consistency and determination to survive beyond next year. Family or not, we can't afford to indulge right now.

Besides as far as I'm concerned, all Saints are family, and having the same surname or not won't mean anything to me.
Hi Austinnnn, awwww come on... where's the romance in you...? Aren't you meant to be living in France??? :wink:

I do hear your points though re recruiting blokes on ability c/f family name, and re Nick and his wanting to be his own man... which is why I worded it as "earn the right"... and should he do so, he can always decline the offer.

In an ever-changing game, I still like the idea of keeping the romance in footy though... :wink:

I also wonder how Tugger's and Dawk's fans feel about the names Rioli and Kennedy running around so successfully in other colours...? I know that there was angst in Hillbilly country when the grandson of a club great, who's name is on one of their grandstands, ended up at Fitzroy and then Nort Power. (Shortly add Effn'dum fans to a long list... courtesy of Dunnell and Ross. :twisted: :twisted: )

As for how much the romance of the family name has actually hurt us in past recruiting...
I can't comment on Luke Beveridge as to whom he may have cost us.
I rated Fergus Watts, but sadly injury means that assessment can never be properly judged. :(
Raph by all accounts was a star, and at the time looked like a great pick at No 8... but like so many, it didn't quite pan out as hoped...
As W Winmar points out, Brett Peake isn't a father-son connection to us, also he didn't cost us much, played some good footy... much more and better footy than the bloke for whom he was 'insurance'. :roll:
(I should shut up, but, Alan Davis and Stewies' boys would bolster your point. :wink: )

"Besides as far as I'm concerned, all Saints are family "... now that's a great sentiment. :idea:

'Like."

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
lefty
Club Player

I think Winmar can find a spot down back. We got rid of a fair few defenders. Plus he looks a decent size, have a look...

Newness will take Grams spot/role.
BJ gone, I'd expect Ray to go there.
Raph gone means Winmar should be the next in line.

Why would we play Sipposs in the backline when he is a great kick for goal and mark. I'm not convinced he's a back line player.