Saints Sign Roberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Sign Roberton

kosifantutti wrote:
bergholt wrote:
damienc wrote:He's a 21 year old kid who has played 37 AFL games. That means he has ability.
Andrew McQualter and Robert Eddy both had 30+ games at the age of 21.
Why do people make up stats like that? It's totally untrue.
Eddy played 13 games before he turned 21 and another 10 before he turned 22.

Mini Played 11 before he turned 21 and another 11 before he turned 22.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
bergholt wrote:Andrew McQualter and Robert Eddy both had 30+ games at the age of 21.
Why do people make up stats like that? It's totally untrue.
Are you serious?

As of March 2008 McQualter was 21 and a half and had played 23 games. He then played 12 games in the next four months, which took him to 35 games before he turned 22.

I guess you're right about Eddy though. At the start of 2010 he was just turned 22 and had 23 games, and he then played ten so I guess he was 22 when he hit 30 games. I didn't look closely at that originally but that's pretty close.

Do you disagree with my basic point?
McQualter didn't play a game in 2008 until Round 12. He had already turned 22.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Saintersss
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Can I ask why you and others seem to always mention Frawley?
Can I ask why it bothers you so?

We need a FB. Frawley's a good one. His team is terrible. They've just lost senior players. They may lose draft picks. Frawley may want out. He'd probably want to go to a club that needs a FB. We need a FB.

It makes sense. That doesn't mean it will happen. There's nothing wrong with speculating about it.

So, according to this thread.

1) We don't need a FB, because we won't win the flag next year anyway and we will get Frawley in 2013/4.
2) Frawley will leave Melbourne to come to St Kilda in 2013/4, because Melbourne are terrible, but St Kilda are clearly good (but we can't win the flag?)
3) He wants to go to club that needs a FB? Melbourne of course, don't need a FB...
4) He will go get to St Kilda through free agency, even though he isn't old enough to qualify next year...
5) Frawley has talked to St Kilda, so that means a year later he is certain to go to St Kilda (even though plenty of players talk to clubs throughout the trade period and don't still don't get traded to that club).

Hmmm...

jimmy_slats
Club Player

Saintersss wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

We need a FB. Frawley's a good one. His team is terrible. They've just lost senior players. They may lose draft picks. Frawley may want out. He'd probably want to go to a club that needs a FB. We need a FB.

It makes sense. That doesn't mean it will happen. There's nothing wrong with speculating about it.

So, according to this thread.

1) We don't need a FB, because we won't win the flag next year anyway and we will get Frawley in 2013/4.
2) Frawley will leave Melbourne to come to St Kilda in 2013/4, because Melbourne are terrible, but St Kilda are clearly good (but we can't win the flag?)
3) He wants to go to club that needs a FB? Melbourne of course, don't need a FB...
4) He will go get to St Kilda through free agency, even though he isn't old enough to qualify next year...
5) Frawley has talked to St Kilda, so that means a year later he is certain to go to St Kilda (even though plenty of players talk to clubs throughout the trade period and don't still don't get traded to that club).

Hmmm...
you pretty much made up half of those claims on asumptioins people on this forum are saying that a good defender is coming next year thats about it i think you have just taken it to the negitive extreme...... good luck with that way of life..

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:

It doesnt bother me. It makes me laugh. Someone on here suggests Frawley maybe interested in coming to us in this years trade period. Nothing is even mentioned in the papers even though about 5000 players have been mentioned. Nothing happens because it was just total BS but still people think it may now happen in next years trade period. Well I think we may also get Buddy, Ablett, Judd and LJ Conners in next years trade period.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

It doesnt bother me. It makes me laugh. Someone on here suggests Frawley maybe interested in coming to us in this years trade period. Nothing is even mentioned in the papers even though about 5000 players have been mentioned. Nothing happens because it was just total BS but still people think it may now happen in next years trade period. Well I think we may also get Buddy, Ablett, Judd and LJ Conners in next years trade period.

No one said we would get him but they will have a crack at getting him as they will with brown and any other guy with a good 6 years in front of them. Scott said they will actively be going after a KPB next year. He certainly made it sound as if it will be someone good and someone with multiple years in front of them. Frawley and Brown fit that bill and maybe a couple of guys at the new franchises will show a bit by then. Mohr was starting to look ok to me.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
defacto wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Farking disgraceful decision! What were they thinking?
spot on. cant believe people can say he is a good pick up without seeing him play.

wasnt in east perths bests. wont be in sandy's.

we will regret this one. watch us miss a rookie/psd selection that goes on to be 10x roberton will be.

mind boggling but not so if you know the connection
what connection is that ??
wasnt in East Perth's Bests ... he played 10 games of AFL last season and only 9 in the WAFL in two of those games (round 2 and round 3) he was near on BOG gathering over 20 disposals and taking 26 marks across the two games
:D I like the sound of that

Saintersss
Club Player

jimmy_slats wrote: you pretty much made up half of those claims on asumptioins people on this forum are saying that a good defender is coming next year thats about it i think you have just taken it to the negitive extreme...... good luck with that way of life..
Yes, I was just pointing out how ridiculous all the claims that have been made on this thread, I didn't make any of them up. Not sure what that has to do with my way of life...? :?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

How's he rate compared to Cripps?

Dylan Roberton
Games: 37

Jamie Cripps
Games: 16

Jamie wanted to go home to Perth and we sooked because West Coast wouldn't give us a decent draft pick or trade for him. Begrudgingly we accepted picks 41 & 44 in exchange for Cripps & pick 46. This enabled us to pick up both Brodie Murdoch & Josh Saunders rather than just one of them.

Dylan wanted to go home to Victoria, but Freo was unwilling or unable to arrange for a trade to be done. In the end he got delisted & we picked him up for nothing.

Seems we did okay.

But some people think we got screwed over Cripps and are fools for taking Roberton.

Funny world sometimes  :?

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Yep, hard to make some of the chimps happy isn't Doc? They always think the bananas the other chimps have are better........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

While we have lost BJ...compared to 2 years ago our list is now in a much healthier state....and with many more youngish players which should mean that instead of dropping off a cliff right about now due to an aged list, that we should now have a solid future.

Skill levels, and pace is up. This is likely to make a significant difference, as turnovers are very costly in the modern game.

Most positions we now have more depth, with a young option being groomed.

The one exception to this is FB. However no list is perfect.

Despite this we do have Fisher who is an excellent FB (2013 Plan A)...and some young talls being groomed as key defenders in Lever and Ferguson who may or may not make it.

2013 Plan B may well be Lee, even if ultimately he is groomed to be a key forward.

Now not all our kids will make it. But what we have now is the best group of younger players that we have had for years....with the plus that they are not all 10 year olds either.

Pelchen's tactic of trades that gain an increased number of players and /or picks has fast-tracked the re-stocking process.

Dylan for Winmar is a clear win, as Winmar from what I have seen was going nowhere. Whereas Dylan at worst would seem to be a solid back up. His upside IMO is also more than Winmar's.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:It doesnt bother me. It makes me laugh.
However you want to label it, you care enough to comment whenever someone mentions Frawley. There's only so many knowledge bombs you can drop on us each day. No need to carpet bomb us with Frawley truths.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:While we have lost BJ...compared to 2 years ago our list is now in a much healthier state....and with many more youngish players which should mean that instead of dropping off a cliff right about now due to an aged list, that we should now have a solid future.

Skill levels, and pace is up. This is likely to make a significant difference, as turnovers are very costly in the modern game.

Despite this we do have Fisher who is an excellent FB (2013 Plan A)...and some young talls being groomed as key defenders in Lever and Ferguson who may or may not make it.

2013 Plan B may well be Lee, even if ultimately he is groomed to be a key forward.

Now not all our kids will make it. But what we have now is the best group of younger players that we have had for years....with the plus that they are not all 10 year olds either.

Pelchen's tactic of trades that gain an increased number of players and /or picks has fast-tracked the re-stocking process.

Dylan for Winmar is a clear win, as Winmar from what I have seen was going nowhere. Whereas Dylan at worst would seem to be a solid back up. His upside IMO is also more than Winmar's.
I'm not sure about Roberton, he didn't set the world on fire at Freo....i might be sure by the end of 2013 though.....either way.... :lol:
Last edited by bobmurray on Sat 01 Dec 2012 8:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:While we have lost BJ...compared to 2 years ago our list is now in a much healthier state....and with many more youngish players which should mean that instead of dropping off a cliff right about now due to an aged list, that we should now have a solid future.

Winmar was the biggest spud we had....wonder what he does in life after his delisting, maybe he'll head back west....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:

Winmar was the biggest spud we had....wonder what he does in life after his delisting, maybe he'll head back west....

I think he may go to Sydney.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

good sensible post

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
dragit wrote:
sainterinsydney wrote:We got him for nothing--can't complain, I guess.
You can & I will.
We had one space left on the list, we are desperate for a FB, we got another rangey back flanker… on top of our 6th small forward… I don't understand…

Jones, Blake, Kosi, Wilkes, Ray are basically all surplus now… The best available FB would be much more useful even if you risk getting a spud.
Of course its not. Roberton is a better player than all the key backs that are left un drafted. Weve got a player who will be in our best 22 for free. Im more than happy to add quality to our list and develope a back 6 that works as a group.
Very good call.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

At the end of the day we swapped Winmar who was around the same age for a guy with 36 games that plays in a position we have just lost 2 A grade players. I think it's going to make us leakier down back than last season.

Just because we need a full back doesn't mean we don't need rebound defenders. We lost goddard and Gram at once so we are going to need Farren Ray and maybe Milera there in those positions and that is still a drop off IMO.

Getting someone else makes good sense to me. We might even try to develop TDL as a more running defender/ mid as both Schnieder and Milne are really getting to old to play any real on ball role and Milne is still vital to our scoring. time will tell if Roberton is worth a punt but he's the right age for us.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

If the bloke has 55 games to his name before the age of 22, then he is a good'un and part of the future.

What would be great is to have young recruits come in and make an impact straight away akin to Saad and Milera last season

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

I'm thinking GWS...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

I'm thinking GWS...

No I mean to live there. Doubt any club will want him.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I'm thinking GWS...
nah dont think so - have you seen their list :shock:

Seeya
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think Nick Winmar might be playing for the Tigers next year ....

Claremont Tigers that is

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think Nick Winmar might be playing for the Tigers next year ....

Claremont Tigers that is
good luck to him
Last edited by magnifisaint on Mon 03 Dec 2012 4:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cruel.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.