Hi Saintsational......again. Its been a long time!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hi Saintsational......again. Its been a long time!

SENsaintsational wrote:17 to 4

Are they the odds of GT coaching again?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Or Warney making his comeback? What about the odds of GT taking over as CEO at North Melbourne?

Actually just picture 17 to 4 in big font repetitively over this forum in the mid 2000s and it might become a bit clearer.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Quixote
SS Life Member

Talk about last to the party!

Just noticed this thread....

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
asiu
Saintsational Legend

haha.
go Q!

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

17 to 1 hitouts to advantage against in Robert Harvey's record breaking 324th game

Blake in the ruck against King and Ottens

9 Geelong goals resulted from direct hitouts to advantage

We lost by 3 goals

They planned all week to exploit this which was revealed by Ottens comments in the after game interview

Thomas was shown up once again for the incompetent coach that he was and I use the word coach very loosely

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
The Craw
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
17 to 1 hitouts to advantage against in Robert Harvey's record breaking 324th game

We lost by 3 goals

They planned all week to exploit this which was revealed by Ottens comments in the after game interview

Thomas was shown up once again for the incompetent coach that he was and I use the word coach very loosely
Get a real jacket.

Not Craw, CRAW!
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

We lost by 3 goals

Pretty sure the stat was 17 to 4, but hey, who am I to argue!!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

lol ... is that it !
fair dink ?

this thread has buckleys of gettn to 20.

have another go.

or bugger that ,

just tell me about the latest bunch of japanese girlies
that are hanging around at your place.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

We lost by 3 goals

Come on don't hold back- tell us how you really feel.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Seriously Thommos reign really had some great moments and the disappointment of not getting a flag overshadows it a bit. They did pioneer the full rebuild exploiting an AFL rule that allowed teams to get priority picks for poor performance. Hawks claimed to later follow the lead.

He built an outstanding list that probably only lacked a ruckman of quality. Went after Brookes and Cox either of which could have been the missing piece of the puzzle. As he said pioneered high altitude and did a lot of bonding stuff and was probably in the end the right fit for the new generation of kids who don't seem to deal with fire and brimstone coaching.

He certainly offered more than Watson or Blight did and both attract much less criticism from the fans.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Here here.

I felt it was definitely the right decision to let Grant go in the end, as we just seemed to be going nowhere by then and I'd suggest the stuff between Grant and Rod was having a major effect, so something definitely had to give (whether we could have achieved the same result without Grant going is certainly possible, but as I said, something certainly had to give), but that doesn't take away from all the great stuff he did for the team and the club leading up to that time and for taking us from the rabble we were when Blight was sacked, to the team and club that Lyon inherited a few years later.

He is a major part of the reason that we are the only club in the comp to have not had a year in the last 10 seasons when we've lost more games than we've won and that we got to play a major part in the finals in that time and that's nothing to be taken lightly, especially given our history.

This club is considerably stronger for Grant having been such a part of it.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 13 Dec 2012 4:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
shmic_s
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Here here.

I felt it was definitely the right decision to let Grant go in the end, as we just seemed to be going nowhere by then and I'd suggest the stuff between Grant and Rod was having a major effect, so something definitely had to give, but that doesn't take away from all the great stuff he did for the team and the club leading up to that time and for taking us from the rabble we were when Blight was sacked, to the team and club that Lyon inherited a few years later.

He is a major part of the reason that we are the only club in the comp to have not had a year in the last 10 seasons when we've lost more games than we've won and that we got to play a major part in the finals in that time and that's nothing to be taken lightly.

+1

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
What absolute nonsense!

Leaving aside that he appointed and paid himself $500,000 from the get go without ever having coached before at AFL level not even in an assistant's role

$250,000 would have been par for the course IMHO

The extra $250,000 would have been nice to stump up the football department instead of lining one's own pockets > that alone might have cost us a flag

I suppose GT's greed got the better of him just like when he was wanting million dollar bonuses and the like

But leaving that aside

Thomas inherited the greatest draft bonus bonanza in the history of football in not only Australia but the entire universe as far as we now, most certain he has planet Earth covered

Gomer Pyle, Mr Bean, Forrest Gump, Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, The Two Ronnies, The Three Stooges, Monty Python's Flying Circus or an inbred, semi retarded Macaque could have coached the best list in the competition in 2004-2005 to Preliminary Finals and perhaps beyond

Maybe it was only injuries in 2005 that put a dent in things AND perhaps if Thomas was not so greedy from the get go and capable of seeing the bigger picture it might have allowed for an extra 250,000 spend in the football department instead of the downpayment on the Brighton mansion on things such as FITNESS AND CONDITIONING

Something Ross Lyon was astounded by in 2006 when he inherited a playing list in appalling bad condition at alarmingly poor fitness levels for AFL football

So my FIRST question to you Grant is this

Is $500,000 an appropriate amount when you've just appointed yourself coach with SFA experience in AFL ranks and particularly so when the football department was underfunded at the time

And you'll answer that it was not your decision to arrive at that figure and you had no say in your appointment and that would be absolute hogwash

Hey you're already on record as saying "the whole process was a sham" and yes I am sure it was the WHOLE process

YOU and your best mate Rod at the time probably thought this would be a good way for you to pay back the million dollar loan he gave you for your newly acquired Brighton mansion

Never mind the already underfunded football department

The neglect and lack of attention to detail most certainly derailed any chance we did have with the best list in the competition during that little window of 2004 and 2005

And you'll come back most likely trying to cite most of the injuries as being collision etc...

our soft tissue injuries were of epidemic proportions not to mention the appalling fitness levels of our players

Seriously you'd only coached Warrnambool previously

If you'd paid yourself $250,000 with the other $250,000 going into the football department you might now be a multi million dollar premiership coach and absolute legend but you let your greed get the better of you

and leaving aside your complete lack of tactical nous, let's not kid ourselves here, you had the best cattle in the comp that would have made Matthew Knights look like Norm Smith

talking about belief clouds is one thing but then turning them into mushrooms is another

So Grant if you had your time again would you do the ethical thing and pay yourself what one might expect for a rookie coach back in 2001 or would you again behave like a greedy little self serving kid in a candy store?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Lots of assumptions, presumptions and consumption in that post.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Lots of assumptions, presumptions and consumption in that post.

And IMO friggin rude when a person who has coached the club makes the effort to come on here. There are ways to say GT wasnt a great coach. Not sure that is the way.

beartalbot
Club Player

Well Barks,
This post started out as a positive one with many questions answered by GT that I, as a long term Sainter wanted answered.
As I stated in an earlier post, both myself and my family found great pleasure in attending StKilda matches when under Thomos guidance, and felt it was a turning point in the clubs history.
After reading your rant above, I feel that you have a lot of personal issues with those involved during this period.
My advise is to get over it and keep these issues to your bloody self mate. I wasn't going to be this nice in my reply, however after reading your answers in your profile....enough said!.
I think this thread has now run its time and should be closed down.
Don't worry about posting a vindictive response to me mate, as I am mature enough to make this my final post on this thread.
Cheers...

BEAR
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Lots of assumptions, presumptions and consumption in that post.

And IMO friggin rude when a person who has coached the club makes the effort to come on here. There are ways to say GT wasnt a great coach. Not sure that is the way.
Alright. He wasn't a great coach. Is that better? His record shows that. One point I have to agree with is the nonsense about GT being appointed after a thorough search and selection process. Everyone knew that was crap, but it took years for the truth to finally be told. Treated fans, supporters, sponsors, media and the AFL like idiots. People don't like being lied to, especially when it is done in a vain attempt to conceal self interest.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

beartalbot wrote:
Don't worry about posting a vindictive response to me mate, as I am mature enough to make this my final post on this thread.
Cheers...
why would I post a vindictive response to you?

you obviously don't know me and it's not something I would entertain

yes this thread started off with people asking lots of nice fluffy questions

I have a few questions of my own or do I first need them ok'd by the thought police?

that is all

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
beartalbot wrote:
Cheers...
why would I post a vindictive response to you?

you obviously don't know me and it's not something I would entertain

yes this thread started off with people asking lots of nice fluffy questions

I have a few questions of my own or do I first need them ok'd by the thought police?

that is all

You asked them and then aswered them. At least you provide humour.

loris
Saintsational Legend

StThomo wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Now Grant where was it we left off again, can you bring me up to speed?
Hovering around court rooms for memory. Hope you are well and over your ailments. All the best.
GT's earlier response in this thread to B4E's question showed humour, restraint and class, knowing the public character assassination this poster (B4E) has waged on him over the years.

Please don't hijack a thread that others are getting information from B4E.................... Start your own thread where I'm sure you can then cut and paste your scurrilous statements to your hearts content sonny, who knows you might get a reply or two.

I note other posters have been asking constructive, critical questions of GT and have pointed out what they consider negative aspects of his reign at the Saints; however, they haven't had to lower themselves with infantile and personal invectives. They also show restraint and class.

Grow up Barks4Eva, your USE BY DATE is well and truly over IMHO

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Alright. He wasn't a great coach. Is that better? His record shows that. One point I have to agree with is the nonsense about GT being appointed after a thorough search and selection process. Everyone knew that was crap, but it took years for the truth to finally be told. Treated fans, supporters, sponsors, media and the AFL like idiots. People don't like being lied to, especially when it is done in a vain attempt to conceal self interest.

Exactly.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

can i just say beartalbot ,
and only imo ,
closing threads is not the answer.
... it doesnt work.

IT DOES NOT WORK

the angst just up 'n moves to another thread.

so ,
isn't it best , that its expressed
... 2nd'd or condemned, talked out and then moved on from.

the community of posters HAVE to sort it.

whether that is by strident rebuttal , or ignoring or apologising or whatever whatever.

at the end of the day ,
it may as well be faced up to.

gt had to know there was gunna be the extremes of positions presented.

he'll handle it or leave.
... just like we all do.

this is really like a 2nd chance for this forum.
... we split down the middle when he was sacked.

it was intense , sometimes funny , sometimes embarassing,
sometimes lower than low.
... real friendships were on the verge of being lost over it.

me 'n barks as a prime example.

educate not dominate.

and in saying that , he still had tin ears.
... the political nouse of a used franger.

wtf can ya do.

it has to be allowed to be sorted,
or we are pissin into the wind.

imoooc.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Well that's probably scared Thommo off and we'll no longer get his insights on this site. :roll:
Last edited by Enrico_Misso on Fri 14 Dec 2012 1:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Barks' stats of course don't include the 5 or so shots we missed from inside 30m icluding the Rooey poster from about 20m.

reckon they influenced the outcome more than the hit outs to advantage

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"What am I doin' hangin' round?
I should be on that train and gone..."