How good are Armo and Steven actually?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: How good are Armo and Steven actually?

IMO Ledger will be a better inside mid that both Armo & Steven.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Armo has all the skills but doesn't win enough of the ball imo. Steven wins plenty of the ball but doesn't always do enough with it.
Last year Armo averaged 20.3 possessions a game, Jack averaged 20.2.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I remember not so long ago posters on here bemoaning the fact that our best midfielder by the length of the straight was a 37 y.o.

Everyone was worried that when Harvs retired that our mids would be a real let down. Well harvs retired in 2008 and we then went OK for the next couple of years.

I remember people bagging Lenny, Dal, bj, Joey, saying that Lenny was too slow and not a Harvs replacement, Dal drifted out fo games, bj was a GOP at best, and Joey was just a B grader.

Not saying Jack or Armo will rise like the above did, just saying that the same ground gets covered and the fear is that those coming up wont replace those leaving.

I think there is a lot of negative bagging of Jack and Armo in this thread that is unwarranted.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:First time I think I've seen Armo so trim arriving to preseason a month or so ago?

Jack needs to (and just a casual ob on my part) work on removing the dark sags under his eyes to truly take it to another level.

I know its your opinion but what does that actually mean? I reckon that wouldnt have an effect on his footy and having seen him up close many times i have never seen them anyway.
next time you rub oil of ulay on his visage tell him from us he needs more beauty sleep

PJ
SS Life Member

Armo made significant improvement last year in terms of possessions. He's a work horse and definately has a role to play in the midfield but I wouldn't be putting star label on him unless he can develop a tank like Lennys. He seems to rise to a challenge which is a real positive - you can't question his endeavour.

Jack - same as everyone has said needs to get better with decision making and delivery, simple as that.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
loris
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Armo made significant improvement last year in terms of possessions. He's a work horse and definately has a role to play in the midfield but I wouldn't be putting star label on him unless he can develop a tank like Lennys. He seems to rise to a challenge which is a real positive - you can't question his endeavour.

Jack - same as everyone has said needs to get better with decision making and delivery, simple as that.
Nut shell PJ, Nut shell. +1

dragit
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I remember not so long ago posters on here bemoaning the fact that our best midfielder by the length of the straight was a 37 y.o.

Everyone was worried that when Harvs retired that our mids would be a real let down. Well harvs retired in 2008 and we then went OK for the next couple of years.

I remember people bagging Lenny, Dal, bj, Joey, saying that Lenny was too slow and not a Harvs replacement, Dal drifted out fo games, bj was a GOP at best, and Joey was just a B grader.

Not saying Jack or Armo will rise like the above did, just saying that the same ground gets covered and the fear is that those coming up wont replace those leaving.

I think there is a lot of negative bagging of Jack and Armo in this thread that is unwarranted.
I don't think there has been much negative bagging at all, mainly level headed analysis,
Most people agree, they both appear to be outside the top 50 mids at the moment, both with with plenty of potential improvement but A-grade is unlikely for either.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:IMO Ledger will be a better inside mid that both Armo & Steven.

What is that based on? Cant be form in the AFL as we have hardly seen Ledger because 2 coaches havent deemed him good enough yet.

shmic_s
Club Player

Steven: can see him becoming a Dane Swan type. Runs all day, get clearances, not super damaging by foot. Possible top 20 mid.

Armo: seems to be a great club man (think Baker, Milne). Think Jack will be better, less chance Armo becomes a top 20 mid IMO. But he has his role and will continue to remain in the side.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

to grade where they sit right now the question to ask is would the sit in the best 22 at other clubs at this stage ... in honesty i could see them in the best 22 of half the teams in the comp , but could not see them starting at any of the teams i feel are in a shot of the flag

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I lost count of the number of posts, but I did count to 65 blokes being listed as mid fielders... before anyone mentioned that once-elite HBF floater and multi-positional pinch hitter bloke who has recently maxed-out Effndum's salary cap...?

Hmmmmmmmmmm... :mrgreen:

Back to the topic & IMHO:
Armo' is getting better all the time. The penny seems to have dropped. He will be very good.
Jack... seems the penny is 'in the process' of dropping. His kicking ability is fine... doesn't miss too many shots on goal, hardly ever misses a set shot. :idea: He just needs to steady a bit more on the burst, which is developing. Will be elite!

Go Armo', go Jack! :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Armo has all the skills but doesn't win enough of the ball imo. Steven wins plenty of the ball but doesn't always do enough with it.
Last year Armo averaged 20.3 possessions a game, Jack averaged 20.2.
Ah, okay. I must have been judging Armo on previous years performances.

Let's hope the improvement is here to stay.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 09 Jan 2013 4:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Choppa
Club Player

A lot of players really improve after 50 to 60 games. Armo (71 games) lifted considrably last year and Jack (51 games) is on the cusp. Plenty of room for improvement in my opinion.

Saints43
Club Player

IMO Jack is a player who can turn contests our way. Blokes like that are gold. Composure will come with game time, trust from teammates and resposibility from the coach. Could be a top midfielder.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I lost count of the number of posts, but I did count to 65 blokes being listed as mid fielders... before anyone mentioned that once-elite HBF floater and multi-positional pinch hitter bloke who has recently maxed-out Effndum's salary cap...?
I specifically left him out, actually, along with Scotland, Birchall and Gibbs, players like that, who don't play through the midfield much. Didn't want to open that can of worms!

noob
Club Player

Midfielders that are probably middle of the road at best. Both don't strike to me as future A-grade players but half decent players. Nothing wrong with that but you need a super talent like Hayes or Dal Santo to get to the top.

Kickit
Club Player

Supercoach rank's them as 71st ( Steven ) and 84th ( Armitage ) with Armo at a level similar to Adelaide's Vince, and Steven at a level similar to Daniel Rich or Chris Masten. Note that Dustin Martin is also down at that level.

Armitage stagnated for around three years getting around 15 disposals per game.
Last season he got to an average of 20, and got close to getting 30 on a couple of occasions. I wouldn't be writing him off just yet. A similar improvement next year and

Jack gets a similar amount of the ball but does a bit more tackling. ( Explaining his higher SC score ).

I'd like to think that with an improvement in our rucking, both of them can win a bit more of the "contested" ball.

Interestingly Lenny, DalSanto and the other utility who points a lot were all in the mid 30s for Supercoach, around the same level as Brad Ebert .

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Jack turns 23 this year so still has the possiblity of some further upside. Dave is hopfully starting to find a little more consistency. Reallistically Jack should go past Dave this year, but Dave still has a role to play over the next 3 or so years.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cant take anything away from Armo's attitude.
Sure he lacks pace but his attitude is A1. A real warrior.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Armo is solid

Jack is Flashy but butchers it

St. Hellrider

I don't believe Steven is a bad kick, he ain't bad at set shots. More his composure, running to fast when he kicks, and kicking with lack of a target. Will get better once he learns not to panic.

Agee with the above post, the more effective hit outs from mcevoy( big year this year) the more touches these 2 are gonna get, just like the kids over in Perth.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Armo is solid

I think Jack is more than flashy - flashy is like Daniel Pearce

Jack tackles and does win his ball but he's a rabbit in headlights and panicks

I do agree with whoever said he can influence the game though... I've seen periods in games where Steven has really had quite an impact and had he not then kicked the ball along the ground I suspect would have drawn opposition attention.

Disposal/decision making IF he gets them to Dane Swan level (who is no Pendles/Dal) then he can go A grade

Armo - think Steven Powell. Solid and needed but not Mitchell as an extractor

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Nice point JB

ppl forget that our premium players weren't always premium players

Dal and Lenny weren't frequently flagged as drifters til about 5 years ago

hence the importance of continuing to persevere with players that show something rather than play them 2-3 times, dump them for not being good enough and replace them with McQualter etc because they're already at their peak

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
BigMart wrote:Armo is solid

I think Jack is more than flashy - flashy is like Daniel Pearce

Jack tackles and does win his ball but he's a rabbit in headlights and panicks

I do agree with whoever said he can influence the game though... I've seen periods in games where Steven has really had quite an impact and had he not then kicked the ball along the ground I suspect would have drawn opposition attention.

Disposal/decision making IF he gets them to Dane Swan level (who is no Pendles/Dal) then he can go A grade

Armo - think Steven Powell. Solid and needed but not Mitchell as an extractor
He's good at jumping as well. Does that make him "jumping Jack Flash"? OK it's early and it's the best I could come up with.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Nice point JB

ppl forget that our premium players weren't always premium players

Dal and Lenny weren't frequently flagged as drifters til about 5 years ago

hence the importance of continuing to persevere with players that show something rather than play them 2-3 times, dump them for not being good enough and replace them with McQualter etc because they're already at their peak
Fanciful argument at best, Lenny won a B&F & AA in 03, while Dal had numerous top 5 B&F results plus was 3rd in the brownlow in 2005 - 8 years ago, younger than both Armo & Jack now.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they should be dropped, just thinking about where they rank in the league right now... Would like nothing better than if they got anywhere near Dal & Lenny, but right now they aren't tracking that trajectory. Who knows though.