Ray!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ray!

Ray is a solid b grader who can play some a games but not regularly enough. Probably in the same boat as CJ. These guys will hold us mid way up the ladder but are the guys who will lose games to the developing youth if their form slides. Both are good soldiers and if they gat pushed out on merit we are getting better. Otherwise both probably deserve to play regular senior footy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Ray is a solid b grader who can play some a games but not regularly enough. Probably in the same boat as CJ. These guys will hold us mid way up the ladder but are the guys who will lose games to the developing youth if their form slides. Both are good soldiers and if they gat pushed out on merit we are getting better. Otherwise both probably deserve to play regular senior footy.
Pretty fair,

Though Ray is good enough that he can deliver top 3, and occasional BOG games.

I just have a feeling that in Year 1 that he and Watters did not see eye to eye, but that in Year 2 they will have sorted in out and that Watters will get the best out of Ray.

Ray was always the second choice to Gram, and with Gram gone Ray is free to play that backfield sweeper role. Ray is probably better defensively that Gram as he reads the play better, and is better ovrehead.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Kernal75
Club Player

I'd like to see him rotate through the midfield / wing in a CJ type role where he plays on an opposition playmaker. Good engine, better disposal than CJ and can take a grab around the ground. Probably won't play every game but will play more than not. I'd also like to see Newnes get the gram role off half back so maybe there isn't enough room for both in the one team???

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
matrix wrote:great overhead mark in traffic for a small guy
should be in 22 imo
He's not small
shorter than me
Can you play CHB?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
paddy
Club Player

He seemed to play well, in his first games back from Sandy, then drop off a bit till he was dropped again.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Back flank mangnifisaint

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Rays best puts him in the top 10. If he has improvement in him then he's a very valuable player. Experience + improvement = walkup start everyweek.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Rays best puts him in the top 10. If he has improvement in him then he's a very valuable player. Experience + improvement = walkup start everyweek.
i was a fan of his even before he got drafted by the dullbogs.....around pick 4 or 5 in the year cooney went 1......

always had talent....imho...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Ray beat Swan in GF1 (no rhyme intended).
He shut him out of the game - I think Swan had something like 12 possessions whilst Ray had 14 himself, if I remember right (I can't be bothered looking up the stats).

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Ray beat Swan in GF1 (no rhyme intended).
He shut him out of the game - I think Swan had something like 12 possessions whilst Ray had 14 himself, if I remember right (I can't be bothered looking up the stats).
And then Swan went on the juice for GF2

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are we allowed to comment on a players ability now

Last time I gave an IMO assessment, some clown inferred that we couldn't make judgement, or our opinion was irrelevant?!

Weird, same person was able to evaluate Ray??

Hmmm....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Id take Ray any day over CJ.
Ray is a good player

PJ
SS Life Member

Ray is well above ordinary and I really don't get the play kids ahead of him argument. He's closer to the demographic hole we have than most. if you're going to get games into kids you need to do it without costing the team games. Kids cannot be played at the expense of winning or are we tanking now?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are we allowed to comment on a players ability now

Last time I gave an IMO assessment, some clown inferred that we couldn't make judgement, or our opinion was irrelevant?!

Weird, same person was able to evaluate Ray??

Hmmm....

Again another gutless post. i actually didnt say that but as you are to gutless to say it was me Im sure you are also to gutless to tell the truth. And you say i stalk. You are so funny. See you in bed again tonight. Last night was real special especially you admitted you have no idea how to actually understand what is said. Its good you told me that. i will makes my posts easier to understand from now on. See you soon big boy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

FWIW I rate Ray slightly above GOP

Has sone real attributes and probably one or two drawbacks.. Good reliable player ..... 150 games already I reckon

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Losing the plot??

Wonder if Ray will be offended that the great P66 (as big a name as there is down at Seaford) reckons he's only a GOP?

Maybe he'd point out that he's played 150 games three grand finals, in one of them he was sent to and beat one of the best players in the afl??!!
Maybe he'd give about the same amount of thought to it, as Shenton and Lever would worry about my opinion.... But this forum isn't for them to worry about, it's to generate discussion amongst supporters....
Which is why your smartarse comment was both arrogant and pathetic!!

Of course i directed it at you, shoe was on the other foot princess (Fiona) suck it up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Losing the plot??

Wonder if Ray will be offended that the great P66 (as big a name as there is down at Seaford) reckons he's only a GOP?

Maybe he'd point out that he's played 150 games three grand finals, in one of them he was sent to and beat one of the best players in the afl??!!
Maybe he'd give about the same amount of thought to it, as Shenton and Lever would worry about my opinion.... But this forum isn't for them to worry about, it's to generate discussion amongst supporters....
Which is why your smartarse comment was both arrogant and pathetic!!

Of course i directed it at you, shoe was on the other foot princess (Fiona) suck it up.

Come on big boy. We can discuss this tonight. I rate him a GOP and you rate him just above a GOP. Im sure a 150 game player will be much happier with you.

And Schrek big boy we shouldnt use our nicknames on here. We should keep them for tonight. Im sorry for mentioning yours. As I have mentioned that I will give the people a run down of last night.

BM. Oh Fiona my princess do it to me
P66 Schrek big boy I am trying the best I can.
BM Im the teacher. Do what I say and without humour
P66 im trying but I keep lauging at you.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

You're not leaving me much room for my homo-erotiche schtick pluggs... You own that s*** at the moment.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Weirdo

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

There's another thing about Ray that I like...his courage. The guy constanty backs into oncoming packs, or stands his ground to take a mark while a pack is coming hard.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:FWIW I rate Ray slightly above GOP

Has sone real attributes and probably one or two drawbacks.. Good reliable player ..... 150 games already I reckon
His main drawback is that he doesn't really have a position. Not really quick enough to play outside mid. Not good enough in close to play inside mid. Not enough of a goalkicker to be a forward. Not good enough at setting up play to go to the half-back line. Not defensive enough to play back pocket.

He definitely has some good attributes but he's also an old-fashioned utility, and in this day and age that doesn't seem to work.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:His main drawback is that he doesn't really have a position
I reckon he'll play half back flank this season and be pretty good at it. He's a good overhead mark and I think we'll see a lot of that.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Should be best 22 and is a B-grade player.

Why is it because he is 26/27 that he is considered not part of the future?

By that logic neither is Joey...yet...

Myth busted!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'm not sure he'll make the backline by the time we've got everyone playing. Fisher, Dempster, Geary, Gwilt and Simpkin all likely ahead of him. Siposs looks like he'll be the sixth guy. Ray's probably looking at spots number 19-25 again. The fact that he's versatile, two-sided and strong overhead will help him.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Playon
Club Player

I thought we looked better when Ray played last year, He seemed to make the side look better balanced and good to see someone down back that can take a decent grab. Anyone know the win loss ratio of the games he played in?