Nicky Winmar (The Age)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PaytonPlace
Club Player

Nicky Winmar (The Age)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... 2gz6w.html

Obviously wasn't in Australia when this happened, but for some reason I knew about THAT day and that image even before I moved here

Anyone who doesn't want to read an article from Caro, most pertinent thing to me was AFL using Nickys image without paying up, and there's a doco on the way

Sunday Footy Show footage from the day just for interest

Victoria Park...Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD_bqwP0lmU

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nicky Winmar (The Age)

I saw most of Winmar's magical career.

He and Lockett bring back many fond memories.

Our club has a duty of care to push the AFL on Winmar's behalf to get him money and to help him with his mental and physical health problems.

He is one the greatest players to play for our club skill wise. He was as magical as Dal is now but more flashy!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Great story by Caro. I've always liked her.

Perhaps what they save from screwing Nicky can be added to dimetriou's modest salary? Oh they've already thought of that.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
PaytonPlace
Club Player

Well given the job I have, I suspect that the AFL can just use whatever image they like to "promote" the game, and damn the players - wouldn't even have been an issue, player rights in 1993

I think something similar happened with Gary Moorcroft from memory, and that was just a great footy moment, not something socially significant

I really hope we take up the cause, and get Nicky some financial help

Incidentally, I presume most of you have seen it, but also from 1993, Molly takes on Peter Jess after Nickys walk out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZS1u36-l-c

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
He is one the greatest players to play for our club skill wise. He was as magical as Dal is now but more flashy!
No offence, but the Wizard was far, far better than Dal...and I rate Dal.

Truly a sublime player with beautiful skills, and a high flying spectacular mark.

When Gary Ablett Snr was blitzing opposition teams, they lined the Wizard up on him and he absolutely spanked him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

"he has agreed to tell his story for a soon-to-be-completed documentary titled: Silent Shout: The Nicky Winmar Story being produced by US-born, Australian-based Tim O'Brien"

8-)
wonder when this is due to be screened
Sundance is held in jan so im guessing we wont see anything until then

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I was at Collingwood that day and what a great win it was. A superb player for the Saints. Nicky's health doesn't sound at all good, if there are doubts about his ability to make it to Melbourne for the indigenous round. As others have said, let's hope the Club pushes his barrow. The Age article will hopefully bring sufficient public exposure to see that he receives some much needed compensation.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Nicky still remains the best AFL player I have ever seen in over 50 years of watching football. Shame that he is being exploited financially by the AFL as he was by St Kilda the whole of his career.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Saints43
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:Shame that he is being exploited financially by the AFL as he was by St Kilda the whole of his career.
How was he exploited by St Kilda his whole career?

He was well paid by Saints - Peter Jess was his manager and was a tough negotiator for all of his clients. Peter Jess encouraged him to walk out on the club straight after that photo was taken for not upgrading a contract (that I believe was) signed in 1992. St Kilda assigned more club resources towards Nicky than any other player on the list.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Shame that he is being exploited financially by the AFL as he was by St Kilda the whole of his career.

He was well paid by Saints - Peter Jess was his manager and was a tough negotiator for all of his clients. Peter Jess encouraged him to walk out on the club straight after that photo was taken for not upgrading a contract (that I believe was) signed in 1992. St Kilda assigned more club resources towards Nicky than any other player on the list.
Agree, I think it was more Jess not looking after Winmar in the right way.

I do not mean this in a negative way, but Cuz was a shy, simple straightforward guy not suited to club stand-offs and hi-jinks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

St Kilda never exploited Nicky. He was a difficult player for the club to deal with as his demands on the club were far greater than any other player. Having said that, I will never never forgive the club for dumping him and forcing him to play out his career with Footcray. He deserved to be a Saint for life.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Nicky still remains the best AFL player I have ever seen in over 50 years of watching football. Shame that he is being exploited financially by the AFL as he was by St Kilda the whole of his career.
Nearly everytime an aboriginal player is mentioned you think a club or people have done the wrong thing by them. Nicky would have got paid plenty and was sometimes bad for the club but we stuck by him just like any other player.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sat 30 Mar 2013 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints43
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:....I will never never forgive the club for dumping him and forcing him to play out his career with Footcray. He deserved to be a Saint for life.
That is what I will always remember Tim Watson for. Claiming that the club let Nicky go without his knowledge. The same way Malthouse claimed the assistants at Carlton were moved on without him being consulted. Just gutless.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned how badly Nicky's dummy spit cost the Club that year. After that great win at Collingwood we were Premiership contenders. We went off the rails after Nicky decided to renege on his contract, as his actions had a profound effect on the team. We recovered later in the season but it was too late. Was he actually asking for more money than Lockett. Harvey, Burke and Frawley???? All of them more important players to the team at the time.

Then his public (on the field) dummy spit late in 1998, also had a significant effect.

I'm not saying the Club shouldn't help him now, in fact they should. Yet perhaps Nicky should reflect on some of his decisions, choices and actions.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Nicky still remains the best AFL player I have ever seen in over 50 years of watching football. Shame that he is being exploited financially by the AFL as he was by St Kilda the whole of his career.
Nearly everytime an aboriginal player is mentioned you think a club or people have done the wrong thing by them. Nicky would have got paid plenty and was sometimes bad for the club but we stuck by him just like any other player.
Agree.

And whilst Cuz was a great player, Plugger was better. Not plugger66, but the real one.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I have never forgotten the image of Nicky on the ground after the 97 GF loss. What an emotional head f*** that would have been for him. He is almost at the top of a long line of massively talented and gifted Saints players that would be considered even greater AFL legends if they were part of a premiership team.

paulski
Club Player

Absolutely loved Winmar. He was my favourite player for years. So skilled and quick, I used to love when he put the afterburners on and ran down unsuspecting opponents. And those screamers!!
I think he was and still is pretty mentally brittle though, and easily taken advantage of (Jess you prick).
I hope his head's in a good space at the moment. Would be great to see him at the club a bit.
Was at Vic Park that day, one of my favourite football memories. Cuz and Gilbert absolutely blitzed!!
Also, someone send a copy of the players singing our theme song properly to the current crop!!
Milne's completely stuffed up our song, and makes for awkward chorus's after the game or at the pub!!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I saw most of Winmar's magical career.

He and Lockett bring back many fond memories.

Our club has a duty of care to push the AFL on Winmar's behalf to get him money and to help him with his mental and physical health problems.

well said...the guy could do things with a football i've not seen others do....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

that comment by stupid is a very good reason for him being dubbed that...although i've named him after the beer fairy in the canadian club ad........but a very stupid disgraceful comment and not a hint of truth in it afaic......i hope the club knows his idenity and revokes his membership....

..this idiot thinks he has some special relationship with aboriginal australians...what a joke.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Agree.

And whilst Cuz was a great player, Plugger was better. Not plugger66, but the real one.

a fair comment by plugga all the same.... must have had a falling out with some of his pack mates it would seem

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sad.

Nicky Winmar's life post football has been an blight on StK and the AFL player welfare ...... He is an ornament to the club and game.... But forgotten by those running it

Same with many other lives and situations
Jarred Allen comes to mind, his end at StK was a disgusting.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Sad.

Nicky Winmar's life post football has been an blight on StK and the AFL player welfare ...... He is an ornament to the club and game.... But forgotten by those running it

Same with many other lives and situations
Jarred Allen comes to mind, his end at StK was a disgusting.

What did we do wrong with Nicky? Our club never does anything right.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How's he been going in the last decade??

I suppose, what do we owe him? He only gave the supporters a reason to go to the footy and support the club. The club has a duty to look after its own IMO especially when they fall on hard times.

Shunted out at the end of 1998.... Got rid of him instead of supporting him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How's he been going in the last decade??

I suppose, what do we owe him? He only gave the supporters a reason to go to the footy and support the club. The club has a duty to look after its own IMO especially when they fall on hard times.

Shunted out at the end of 1998.... Got rid of him instead of supporting him.

So how does it work. What if a one game player is also struggling or do only help the stars. Going to be tough with probably 500 living players. And how do you know we havent tried help. Probably better to criticise the club.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just like we did with Jarryd? Not sure he was a star??

Much as would be hard for you to fathom, the club has done some distasteful things with ex-players

Some of our ex champions have not got much of a opinion of StK, in particular the ones who went elsewhere..

Hall, Smith, Lappin and many others did not enjoy their departures... In some cases are glad they left.