WATTERS cant coach....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

WATTERS cant coach....

WATTERS cant coach....some of the matchs up since he has been at the Saints are deplorable. I cant believe they started with Blake on Riewoldt - what were they thinking. How about getting into his head early so he doesn't play with the confidence he did throughout the game. Disgraceful move that lost the game before the ball was bounced.

Why not play Fisher on Riewoldt early with Stanley on Vickey and have Dempster and Blake come over the top. Fisher & Demptser were no where near match fit but both battled the game out well. Stanley plays wells in the backline last week so he sits leave him to rot in the forwrad pocket for 3/4 of the game.

Sipposs was very poor down back and wont hold his position next week I think the recent media has gone to his head.

Our skills by both hand and foot are still very very ordinary with our midfield soem of the worst offenders.

Having said the that the umprining didn't help our cuase they were ordinary!

At least the effort was there this week Scott - just this week your inept coaching decisions lost the game! Very very poor if Lyon wsa still coahcing this team we would have won that game by 5 goals.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: WATTERS cant coach....

What do they do at the academy.....

Look for places in Seaford to get a latte

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:WATTERS cant coach....some of the matchs up since he has been at the Saints are deplorable. I cant believe they started with Blake on Riewoldt - what were they thinking. How about getting into his head early so he doesn't play with the confidence he did throughout the game. Disgraceful move that lost the game before the ball was bounced.

Why not play Fisher on Riewoldt early with Stanley on Vickey and have Dempster and Blake come over the top. Fisher & Demptser were no where near match fit but both battled the game out well. Stanley plays wells in the backline last week so he sits leave him to rot in the forwrad pocket for 3/4 of the game.

Sipposs was very poor down back and wont hold his position next week I think the recent media has gone to his head.

Our skills by both hand and foot are still very very ordinary with our midfield soem of the worst offenders.

Having said the that the umprining didn't help our cuase they were ordinary!

At least the effort was there this week Scott - just this week your inept coaching decisions lost the game! Very very poor if Lyon wsa still coahcing this team we would have won that game by 5 goals.

More ground out a 5.6 to 4.5 win.

Hughjarce
Club Player

Relax, Watters can plan and set structures all night long but in the end its up to the players and unfortunately a large majority of our midfield lack the necessary skills to execute these plans.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SACK THE COACH!! But seriously what was up with Sippo tonight, he looked ordinary.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Hughjarce - Its up to the coach to set the game up and when he concedes 4 goals to the oppisition full forward in the first half before making a change the game was lost no matter the players did.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Watters can't coach.... pfffftt... what an emotional knee-jerk reaction....... what are you expecting?? Premierships..... The Tigers have so much more talent (from early draft picks) that us - I thought we were SO BRAVE tonight.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Seaford_Saint wrote:Watters can't coach.... pfffftt... what an emotional knee-jerk reaction....... what are you expecting?? Premierships..... The Tigers have so much more talent (from early draft picks) that us - I thought we were SO BRAVE tonight.
Mate I thought that last year but reserved my judgment until at least he has had a year. His match ups are deplorable, our team/player skiils have gone backwards, he recruited and plays too many smalls who stand and watch their opponent mark the ball hoping they will drop it.

Tonight we won the clearances but how many did we score from. The way we set up in the middle and consistently hand ball backwards to a player under pressure who just bombs it in the air forward for the opposition to pluck off is laughable. Watch the replay and see how Richmond defenders set up at the back of the square just waiting for us to pop the ball out to them - thats U12 stuff ! Too often we win the ball and rather than move forward to break the opposition we go backwards.

SIpposs was obviously not himself why not sub him earlier.

He waited until the game was toasted until he made a move on Riewoldt to me that not a coach who has any f....n idea how to win a game of footy !

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Blake on Riewoldt
I wouldn't go as far saying "he can't coach". Although, this match up proved to be a little costly in the end. Not sure about putting Fisher on him after Blake either. I thought Dempster was an obvious choice.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
lefty
Club Player

Stanley wasn't left in the forward line for 3/4's of the game, thats ridiculous.

He was played up forward for a small amount, because Maister cannot take a mark in the forward line. We needed a target up forward. He did well in the Ruck, He did well in the Backline, didn't get it in the forward line though, but at least it gives us a target.

Maister can never be our second target, he's a 3rd tall tbh.

Blake probably should not have played, he's really only a fill in, Simpkin should of played on him.

defacto
Club Player

second week running got the match ups and selection wrong.

but you are wrong. he can coach and is a very good one.

lloyd21
Club Player

He can coach. We were slaughtered by the men in green

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I thought poor old Blakey was the one slaughtered by the men in green. Poor bugger couldn't pull a trick.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Seaford_Saint wrote:Watters can't coach.... pfffftt... what an emotional knee-jerk reaction....... what are you expecting?? Premierships..... The Tigers have so much more talent (from early draft picks) that us - I thought we were SO BRAVE tonight.
Agree 100%.

Anyone that has delusions that we can compete with the big sides need to wake up to themselves.

The tigers always had another gear to go to because they're more talented.

kalsaint
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:I thought poor old Blakey was the one slaughtered by the men in green. Poor bugger couldn't pull a trick.
Croth-chin is a protected species. I dont know how many frees he got when he was the initiator of the contact often then flung his arms in the air to get noticed. A fairy by looking for frees with umpires who accomodate him.

Having said that, frees was not the reason we lost the game.

Our kicking skills are deplorable and I was bellowing for those running the ball out of defense to kick long because were only 50/50 with short kicks and give up way too many goals due to this. The long game proved fruitful and was high percentage. The short game and poor short hand passes to space (Malera, Gilbeert) also caused expensive turnovers that could have levelled this game.

I find it unbelievable that player work so hard to get the ball then get some run and then kick short straight to the opposition often away to the left or right pockets or foraward flanks. That when opposition speed kills us as they get an easy takeaway that enables goals.

Great effort guys but skills are por. It must be very demotivating to see the ball rebound so quickly and have to chase arse due to your midfielders poor short kicking. Still reckon Nick would be better at CHB than at CHF as he work hard and travels a lot but really does this provided scorebaord pressure? Not enough in my opinion although you cant fault his effort just the uncertain structure that occurs from his contineud demand for out of position leads.

Overall the team effort is great but we have had poor kicking skills for the last 6 years now and only seem to get this right when the ball carrier is protected. This doesnt happen enough now.

Coaching can only work by managing your team plays and skills usage. I reckon the jury is still on this one but something needs to change with midfield kicking skills or use longer elevated kicks and get Kosi back to crash the packs to provide opportunity to the small fowards. We dontseem to deliver to the talls properly so get the smalls more involved in offense rather than chasing butt due to turnovers.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
MrCordz
Club Player

I agree the boys did well - I;m somehow reminded of early 2000 losses saying the boys did well when we lose - this isn't necessarily a bad thing just a statement of where we are at.

Humbly St. Kilda
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen struggling more than waters IMO

deadman walking
Club Player

Watters should of been sacked from round 4 last year when we lost to Freo

cross2012
Club Player

There are a few going early on Watters. Reality is we missed on a key defender preseason, we butchered the ball to often and Richmond got frees in the right places at the right time. Our backline was underdone and it showed.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So we've accepted our fate.

I like the word of the great coach
No matter what, never accept what's going on

noob
Club Player

I thought Dal Santo was poor. Saw McEvoy chase more than he did.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Pelchen struggling more than waters IMO
Interesting. Why do you say that. He's been around for 2 drafts. What did you expect from him so far? Last years draft choices surely can't be judged yet and the 2011 boys have been with us just over 12 months. One highly regarded draftee is already missing a full year with a knee. He's brought in some pacey players, tried to get some 22-26 year olds to plug a gaping hole and has chopped back the list significantly already. Yes he missed a full back, but they are not growing on trees. He had one on the radar that would have played straight away who actually wanted to come, so of course you persue that option. Who else was around that we could have chased and got over the line. An 18 year old is hit and miss and best case scenario would be ready in 2 to 3 years.

I personally think he has been ok. My only criticism of him and his team is that we all know we are rebuilding. We can't win it with this squad. Our "window" has slammed shut. It hurts, but it's reality. So why do we have so many 30+ year olds still on the list? Some tough decisions should have already been made, and made without emotion. Decisions that probably would have many on here unhappy.

All IMO of course.

Im not a coach knocker and Watters is only in his second year but he has made some poor errors in the 2 games this year IMO. If Blake was to play he had to be our second ruck and Stanley had to play down back for a start. Stanley needs to be played as a backman all year or until he is just no good at it. he started well in that position last week so he needed to play there again this week. I know Simpkin got towelled up last time but surely Blakes days are over. He was our past. Simpkin maybe our future. That is 2 I see from last night and even those 2 errors could have cost us the game. Also it seemed obvious to me Fisher wasnt fit so another sign of desperation. Hope he doesnt miss weeks now for playing to early. Could be wrong about all 3 issues but that is my opinion.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Watters has made some bads calls of recent but with a list as shotty as ours, give the guy a bloody chance.

Ross Lyon was a great coach, but how many were calling for his head in his second year? And our list was streets ahead in 08.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Im not a coach knocker and Watters is only in his second year but he has made some poor errors in the 2 games this year IMO. If Blake was to play he had to be our second ruck and Stanley had to play down back for a start. Stanley needs to be played as a backman all year or until he is just no good at it. he started well in that position last week so he needed to play there again this week. I know Simpkin got towelled up last time but surely Blakes days are over. He was our past. Simpkin maybe our future. That is 2 I see from last night and even those 2 errors could have cost us the game. Also it seemed obvious to me Fisher wasnt fit so another sign of desperation. Hope he doesnt miss weeks now for playing to early. Could be wrong about all 3 issues but that is my opinion.

Agree.