What we learnt vs Collingwood

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

What we learnt vs Collingwood

Roberton is a genuinely good player. I haven't been sold on him until tonight but he defended well and was very skillful coming out of defence.

Stanley has some great attributes but isn't the answer to our gorilla problem. His long kicking is absolutely brilliant, unfortunately he struggles with a direct opponent who is stronger than him. He did some great things and some poor things tonight, but he will have learnt plenty.

Seb Ross looks like an AFL footballer. Didn't rack up huge numbers but is composed and intelligent with the footy. Play him all year.

Riewoldt is just about in career best form and it is an absolute tragedy that he will retire without a premiership.

Kosi is dumb but gives us structure and a good contest in the air - I think he'll get a few more games later in the year.

Saad is an embarrassment this year. He went from being a quality, dangerous crumbing forward to an incompetent pint-sized full forward. It seems our game plan is to kick to a contest from defence, hope we win it and then bomb it forward for Saad to run on to. Needs to kick a couple of bags in Sandy.

Saunders and Murdoch aren't ready. Saunders might be ok as sub as he provides some run but he's not AFL standard yet. Murdoch is a fair way off the pace of the game.

You can not fault the team's effort tonight. I think it was the first game where we had a genuine crack for four quarters. If not for some shocking umpiring killing our momentum at various stages we could have pulled off an incredible win.

Finally, I don't think Siposs has benefited from his harsh treatment and relegation to the ressies. He looked worried and second guessed himself many times tonight. He would not have missed a couple of those shots in his first two years and he also would have kicked a goal in the last quarter rather than trying too hard to handball off and do the 'team thing.'

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: What we learnt vs Collingwood

I thought Saunders and Siposs were pretty good and worth another crack. Murdoch didn't look ready.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Our youngsters don't have the tank for AFL football yet, and they faded against a very fit unit, but most show something, which is a nice change from recent years

Our midfield suffers badly when Hayes is absent

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Very harsh on Siposs - thought he was good tonight

Got to dangerous spots, presented and kicked a couple and missed another (couldve had 3 )

Best medium option up fwd we have Id keep playing him on tonights effort.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wright is a potential gun, such poise and composure.

Dempster looked much better this week

Buckley can get pretty angry, that was a scary f-bomb in the box

Lenny is right, it's not as far away as some think

Agree with Tef on Arryn, effort was up, just lacked a bit of composure...probably trying too hard if anything

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How can you judge Murdoch??

We can learn that SW has got a number of things wrong and Nick Riewoldt is a champion.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

That their supporters are the most ugly cretins in the league.....that fat blonde slag giving it to Milne....a fair representation.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:That their supporters are the most ugly cretins in the league.....that fat blonde slag giving it to Milne....a fair representation.

In her species she is a looker :D :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Roberton is a genuinely good player. I haven't been sold on him until tonight but he defended well and was very skillful coming out of defence.'
Agree

mad saint guy wrote:Stanley has some great attributes but isn't the answer to our gorilla problem.
He learned a big lesson tonight. Play the ball, not the man. Play to his attributes ... pace and reach ... rather than his opponent's (strength). Leave him in defence and he'll be okay.

mad saint guy wrote: Seb Ross looks like an AFL footballer. Didn't rack up huge numbers but is composed and intelligent with the footy. Play him all year.
Yep, looked tough and composed. I was impressed.

mad saint guy wrote:Riewoldt is just about in career best form and it is an absolute tragedy that he will retire without a premiership.'
Yep, that's life.

mad saint guy wrote:Kosi is dumb but gives us structure and a good contest in the air - I think he'll get a few more games later in the year.
Hickey may have something to say about that. We also have White and Lee coming though, so in that sense he is holding a young player back. Perhaps we'll see him given a few matches to get him to 200 as he has been a good clubman.

mad saint guy wrote:0
Saad eeds to kick a couple of bags in Sandy.
agree

mad saint guy wrote:Saunders and Murdoch aren't ready. '
Yep.

noob
Club Player

I feel that due to Geary playing more in the middle they need to use Wright's run a bit more. Can break the lines.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

Stanley has some great attributes but isn't the answer to our gorilla problem.
.'
Way too early to make such a call.

It takes a while to learn how to play FB, and when you are on in-form gun FF watch out.

Stanley made the rookie FB mistake of watching his opponent and losing sight of the ball. He will learn from this.

I have seen enough this year to persevere with him learning the craft as a key back.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 04 May 2013 12:12am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
StGoddard18
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:That their supporters are the most ugly cretins in the league.....that fat blonde slag giving it to Milne....a fair representation.
Oh how I wish he kicked that goal and then he could have turned around and blow her a kiss haha!

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How can you judge Murdoch??
The fact that he's had 9 disposals in over 5 quarters of footy suggests he isn't up to it yet.
Teflon wrote:Very harsh on Siposs - thought he was good tonight

Got to dangerous spots, presented and kicked a couple and missed another (couldve had 3 )

Best medium option up fwd we have Id keep playing him on tonights effort.
I don't mean to criticise Siposs, more the approach that Watters has taken with him. He's a natural footballer who should play on instinct, and tonight he looked like he was too worried about satisfying the coaches instructions and his game suffered for it.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Stanley has to play from behind never in front.

Roo is class. Pity the umpire chose not to award a mark as the game was close.

Wright flogged Krakour

Tackling in the AFL is a waste of effort better to just stand back and hassle.

Ross Armo Steven and McEvoy will be great clearnce players

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So we judge them in game 1 and 1/2 of G2

How does one get experience??

Games need to be put into these kids this season, whilst it is gone.... And it is already

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Rooey is a legend. I thought he was in career best form in 2010 before he did his hammy. Wonder how that season would have unfolden if he hadn't gone down.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

....she was calling milney a wanker, but i bet she has more than the odd vibrator in her naughty drawer...'cause no man of sane mind would give her one......but then i'm talking about filth supporters...and not many of them are sane.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't think anyone is "ready" in their first couple of games of senior footy…

Murdoch, Lee, Hickey, Newnes, Saunders, Ross, Wright have all looked shakey at times… but that's understandable considering the quantum leap from the lower levels to AFL. None of the guys are going to "arrive" as players without battling through their first 50-odd games with plenty of mistakes, which is worth remembering for guys like Saad & Milera too.

We're not in a position to wait on developing these guys, plus our depth is pretty poor… there's not exactly a whole bunch of players beating down the door to replace the young guys from tonight.

Kosi on the other hand has played nearly 200 games, can't excuse that level of footy from him… Suspension aside, we have nothing to lose from trying Hickey out instead, but potentially plenty to gain.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Roberton is a genuinely good player. I haven't been sold on him until tonight but he defended well and was very skillful coming out of defence.

Stanley has some great attributes but isn't the answer to our gorilla problem. His long kicking is absolutely brilliant, unfortunately he struggles with a direct opponent who is stronger than him. He did some great things and some poor things tonight, but he will have learnt plenty.

Seb Ross looks like an AFL footballer. Didn't rack up huge numbers but is composed and intelligent with the footy. Play him all year.

Riewoldt is just about in career best form and it is an absolute tragedy that he will retire without a premiership.

Kosi is dumb but gives us structure and a good contest in the air - I think he'll get a few more games later in the year.

Saad is an embarrassment this year. He went from being a quality, dangerous crumbing forward to an incompetent pint-sized full forward. It seems our game plan is to kick to a contest from defence, hope we win it and then bomb it forward for Saad to run on to. Needs to kick a couple of bags in Sandy.

Saunders and Murdoch aren't ready. Saunders might be ok as sub as he provides some run but he's not AFL standard yet. Murdoch is a fair way off the pace of the game.

You can not fault the team's effort tonight. I think it was the first game where we had a genuine crack for four quarters. If not for some shocking umpiring killing our momentum at various stages we could have pulled off an incredible win.

Finally, I don't think Siposs has benefited from his harsh treatment and relegation to the ressies. He looked worried and second guessed himself many times tonight. He would not have missed a couple of those shots in his first two years and he also would have kicked a goal in the last quarter rather than trying too hard to handball off and do the 'team thing.'
Fair points. Seb does look like a footballer but, I dunno, what happens? He is another player who would benefit form more strength. Pace can't he improved, but strength can be. But he needs to be given the instruction - go for it and go for it hard. Perhaps he has been - worth persisting with.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We learnt Roo is in career best form and has massive ticker when the team he down. Hes an uphill skiier.

I thought siposs did pretty well. Presented and was in the play.

Saadys second years blues are getting deeper. Needs a circuit breaker.

Milne always gets monstered and psyched out by the pies players and fans.

roberton awesome. nate wright awesome.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So we judge them in game 1 and 1/2 of G2

Games need to be put into these kids this season, whilst it is gone.... And it is already
He needs experience playing a high level of senior footy. Which he can gain in the VFL. He's not a shut down defender or a FF, he's a flanker/midfielder who should be able to get a few touches. The fact that he hasn't been able to do that suggests that he's not ready for AFL footy. Simple enough?

Curren has proven himself time and time again at VFL level and deserves a shot. Ledger looked much more adept in his few AFL stints. Even Webster has been performing well and deserves an opportunity to see if he can cut it in the seniors. Murdoch got a gig on the back of a decent pre season and some ok practice match and very limited VFL form.

I'm not bagging the kid, just saying he's not one of the rare players who can walk into an AFL side in their first season of of the draft.

If I could pick the team for next Monday it would be this: (assuming Lenny is unavailable)

B: Dempster, Simpkin, Wright
HB: Geary, Fisher, Roberton
C: Montagna, Dal Santo, Curren
HF: Ledger, Riewoldt, Siposs
F: Milne, Stanley, Hickey

Foll: McEvoy, Armitage, Steven
Int: Newnes, Ross, Webster
Sub: Dunell

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So we judge them in game 1 and 1/2 of G2

Yet you wont give Stanley time to develope. :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Fazer
Club Player

Our clearance work in at the centre bounce was better tonight, but could still get better. When was the last time we broke frome a centre clearance and kicked a goal???

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

that we can't control the footy and tempo of the game like we used to. How many more posessions did they have than us? 80?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Strange comparison

One player has been in the system 5 years, one 5 months?!

Btw I rate Stanley highly, and see him as potentially the best player on the list... Just not a FB.