Dale Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: Dale Thomas

Players of the calibre of Thomas and in the top teams won't be coming to St.Kilda anytime in the near future and why would they. We are on the decline and are unlikely to be paying big dollars (see Goddard). Good players that are in teams in the bottom half of the ladder may think about it but would want significant remuneration. We are better off building with kids and supporting them with what will probably be more B graders.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I'd take him for Pick 30.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Was it a waste of time using important picks and big money to secure Aaron Hamill and Fraser and Voss and Powell in 2000-2002?

Fraser was out of favour and a serial under achiever
Hamill a medium fwd who averaged 12ppg and 1.2 goals
Voss was a fringe player at Brisbane
Powell an injury prone midfielder

All inspired choices IMO

You can't have 40 kids.... Because kids are a gamble anyway? Blue chip kids are critical, roughies are critical

But smart trading wins premierships, no matter the stage of development.

Thomas would be a target if I were list manager. But GWS would be in a strong position to get him.

I'd be having a serious crack at
Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon, GWS, GC, Melbourne players.......
Due to
Disgruntled, go home, under paid, under played factors

Greg T
Club Player

PJ wrote:Players of the calibre of Thomas and in the top teams won't be coming to St.Kilda anytime in the near future and why would they. We are on the decline and are unlikely to be paying big dollars (see Goddard). Good players that are in teams in the bottom half of the ladder may think about it but would want significant remuneration. We are better off building with kids and supporting them with what will probably be more B graders.
Certainly correct ,and why would they.if we snare a couple of better players from lower sides what a bonus.
If they didn't rate Goddard for better pay where does that leave us.?
No doubt we will have to build from kids ,here's hoping that works .

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Quixote
SS Life Member

I'd be happy enough if we just manned up on him. So sick of seeing that little s*** tear us a new one.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
defacto
Club Player

why would we want someone like daisy thomas when we gave up on goddard?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:why would we want someone like daisy thomas when we gave up on goddard?
fair point - we wont be paying over 500k for someone like Daisy.

But 2 reasons might be -

1. hes a genuine spreading midfielder which is what we lack
2. hes 25 (goddard is 27)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
defacto wrote:why would we want someone like daisy thomas when we gave up on goddard?
fair point - we wont be paying over 500k for someone like Daisy.

But 2 reasons might be -

1. hes a genuine spreading midfielder which is what we lack
2. hes 25 (goddard is 27)

Pretty sure he is far from a genuine mid. He is playing off HB at the moment. He will be 27 next year. It would be a pathetic recruiting idea to replace a better or equal player with another from another club who would want similar money. It is not the way to go unless people actually beleive we are 3 years from a top 4 spot. I have us at least 5 years from a top 4 spot.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
34 at 85% but youre right. Hes a dud.

Lucky you dont get fooled by stats and know more about footy than every single commentator on the planet who gave him 2 or 3 votes.

But hes no good and dont believe coaches votes either. They dont know anything about footy either.

Buckley has been quoted that he thought Shaw and Thomas played kick ti kick with each other. Like I said a easier thirty touch game youd struggle to find.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Why would he come to us?
He will get 500K at the pies which is probably worth 600K+ when you add in the extra media, read channel 9, opportunities.
They have better facilities than us, better coaching staff than us, play on the biggest stage all of the time.
Can afford the best medical staff and support staff for their players.
They have a president that ensures they are venerated way beyond their station.
They have the MCG and the Westpac Centre, we have Etihad and Seaford.
We would need to offer 750K for him to even consider us but even than I would be surprised if he would come.

Get used to shopping in the bargain bins people because that is all we can seriously do.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:Get used to shopping in the bargain bins people because that is all we can seriously do.
cheery, thanks for that… we might prefer to go for a few 400K FA's rather than the big fish… nothing wrong with that.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Thomas had 8 contested possessions, 1 clearance and a goal assist. 3 rebounds and an entry. I don't think he had anywhere near the kind of impact that one might think from 34 touches. I'd be stunned if he polled brownlow votes and if the coaches give him any it'll be in the ones or twos. Good outside game, but not great.

Certainly wouldn't want to build a team around him.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
noob
Club Player

his a flanker not a midfielder

SinCitySainter
Club Player

dragit wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:Get used to shopping in the bargain bins people because that is all we can seriously do.
cheery, thanks for that… we might prefer to go for a few 400K FA's rather than the big fish… nothing wrong with that.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it at all and realistically that is where we have to be looking as the real stars are out of our reach.
Look at the two big moves of the last couple of years:
Goddard to Essendon, big money for a potential star of the game and a possible top ten player.
Clark to Melbourne, big money for a good player but not really a top fifty player.

We are closer to Melbourne in terms of drawing power than we are to Essendon.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

SinCitySainter wrote: Look at the two big moves of the last couple of years:
Goddard to Essendon, big money for a potential star of the game and a possible top ten player.
Clark to Melbourne, big money for a good player but not really a top fifty player.

Right now, injury aside, I'd take Clark over Goddard every day of the week for our side...

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote: Look at the two big moves of the last couple of years:

Right now, injury aside, I'd take Clark over Goddard every day of the week for our side...
But is he worth 600K a year is the important question?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

As much as we need some cattle on field, we need some poster boys off it to, and Daisy would fit the bill here nicely. If Armo and Jack are our future, then we're gonna struggle to garner any real advertising from the playing group for a while. Armo has potential, but I feel sorry for Jack whenever he's stuck in front of a camera.

If there's one thing Scotty's short Saints history has told us, he loves guys he's coached or worked with before. I think we'll make a BIG play for Thomas come seasons end...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Thomas had 8 contested possessions, 1 clearance and a goal assist. 3 rebounds and an entry. I don't think he had anywhere near the kind of impact that one might think from 34 touches. I'd be stunned if he polled brownlow votes and if the coaches give him any it'll be in the ones or twos. Good outside game, but not great.

wasnt it his first game of the year?

Look hes no messiah - all im saying is the guy is a bloody good football player.

but anyhow no chance we are getting him for several reasons.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Thomas had 8 contested possessions, 1 clearance and a goal assist. 3 rebounds and an entry. I don't think he had anywhere near the kind of impact that one might think from 34 touches. I'd be stunned if he polled brownlow votes and if the coaches give him any it'll be in the ones or twos. Good outside game, but not great.

wasnt it his first game of the year?

Look hes no messiah - all im saying is the guy is a bloody good football player.

but anyhow no chance we are getting him for several reasons.

8 contested possessions is a pretty nice effort especially with 34 possessions out of the back pocket. I wish our players had bad days out like that.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

As there's no second prize, we should just concentrate on drafting young talent at this stage.
Let's look for young running, line breaking players like Daisy .. we may already have found one (potentially) in Webster?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Players of the calibre of Thomas and in the top teams won't be coming to St.Kilda anytime in the near future and why would they. We are on the decline and are unlikely to be paying big dollars (see Goddard). Good players that are in teams in the bottom half of the ladder may think about it but would want significant remuneration. We are better off building with kids and supporting them with what will probably be more B graders.
Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!