Wellington 2014

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Wellington 2014

I'm considering using some of my Virgin Points to head over for Anzac Day next year. The flights become available in the next couple of weeks, and using points usually means you have to jump in really early, especially with international flights.

Firstly, is the game locked in yet?? I dont remember hearing anything official, but it sounds like everyone (club, media etc.) is assuming it's locked in.

Secondly, how were people's experiences from this year?? It seems really difficult to get to Wellington from Melb with Virgin (via Brisbane I think??).

I know some of my family went this year and flew into Auckland and drove down, about 8 hours in the car I think, but they enjoyed the trip (nice scenery etc.). Did anyone else try that option??

And any suggestions on where to stay (or where not to stay)???

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

Re: Wellington 2014

I flew into Auckland and flew down to Wellington (after a couple of days in Auckland). The flights were very cheap and i think it was something like $100 return (Auckland-Wellington). Only problem with that is missing out on the scenery. It also depends on if you want to visit anywhere on the drive down (eg Rotarua).

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
mambo2706
Club Player

We flew direct from Melbourne into Wellington on the Tuesday before the game. We spent a few days in Wellington. The locals were very friendly and we did a lot of touristy things but it's not a place I think I would go to again (only for the footy). If you have the time I would suggest you fly into Auckland and drive down. Went to Auckland last year and loved it. Plenty of things to see on the way down like, as Saint Ash said, Rotarua (awesome place apart from the smell). If you are going to book accommodation in Wellington book early. A lot of places were booked out for this years game.

HelenR
Club Player

We went from the Wednesday to the Sunday. Flew both ways via Auckland which was the cheapest when we decided to go. Loved Wellington. Lovely city and if you are into Lord of the Rings then definitely do a tour. It takes you to the filming sites they used around Wellington. Great way to see the countryside as well as the studios and Weta cave in the suburbs. Lots of fun reinacting scenes from the movies. Enjoyed the atmosphere in Wellington even after the game. Went to Te Papa museum. The city's architecture is beautiful. Very Art Deco. You can walk to most places from central city accommodation. On the return via Auckland we spent about 5 hours there. Went up the Skytower and hubby did the Skyjump which is about 53 storeys up. Gorgeous views. Next time will try and spend a couple of days in Auckland before heading to Wellington.

georgie girl
Club Player

We were lucky enough to take three weeks to tour around the South and North islands in a campervan, ending at Wellington for the footy. We absolutely loved every day of our trip and the wonderful scenery NZ offered. If we can afford it would definitely go again. If we can only have a few days, as we have looked around Wellington, I would do the north of the South Island and the 'ferry' it across to Wellington a day or so before the game. That would probably mean flights into Christchurch and a hire car. From memory there were many flights into Christchurch.
We do need info on the game earlier than it was provided this time though to get the cheaper deals.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

georgie girl wrote:
We do need info on the game earlier than it was provided this time though to get the cheaper deals.
I don't follow. It is on Anzac Day and so you already know when it is on...so you can book now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Liam_G
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
georgie girl wrote:
I don't follow. It is on Anzac Day and so you already know when it is on...so you can book now.
Nothing has officially been confirmed for a match on Anzac Day in 2014 in Wellington. Yes, both the AFL and the Club have expressed their desire, but until it's confirmed, booking anything now would be a risk.

georgie girl
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
georgie girl wrote:
Point taken but this year I did hold out a little on booking flights in case the club organised some 'package deals' for members. Also booked our accommodation and then quite close to the date some special offers came out through club emails.

Also, I did book reasonably early last time. Booked the flights home for the morning after the match, only to find out closer to the date that there was something organised that we could have attended if we had still been in NZ.

A learning curve for all no doubt!! Including me!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

georgie girl wrote:
Point taken but this year I did hold out a little on booking flights in case the club organised some 'package deals' for members.
In my experience football tours via a club are over-priced than what you can do yourself. There only real advantage is when game-tickets are scarce and you get the ticket as part of it.

For NZ it looks like tickets will be easy to get, and so I would suggest doing your own thing and in having a great holiday again like you did last year.

I am a travel addict, always planning my next trip. Will do this game I think in 2015 when Easter is at the start of April. 2014 is out as I have just booked flights to go to Switzerland at this time next year as Easter Public Holidays are near Anzac Day...and so the 3 public holidays give me almost a weeks head start on a holiday.

As Easter and Anzac Day are this close next year I would suggest making your travel plans well in advance.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Auckland and then drove. was great!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."