Go on defend that umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Go on defend that umpiring

Oh, and that non-decision from a West Coast kick out after a behind which was not touched, bounced out of bounds, and then the ump threw it in...

I was at the game so didn't hear any commentating, but if ANYONE thinks that the umpiring actually favoured St Kilda then they should never call any match, anywhere, ever again. Who said that?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
kalsaint
Club Player

Freebird wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Hardly cheats. Seen worst, didn't notice then much tbh.

Well open your fkn eye you idiot muppet.

Two non frees to Priddis for two goals.

We are two points up and WCE hold the ball in their goal square no free

Saad with 25 seconds to go cannonned in the back and it IS holding the ball.

We were absolutel robbed by those fkn c.unts.

Absolutely robbed.

And P66 if you come on here defending that fkn BS, you can go and fk yourself

JB saying it as it is...no matter how bad the umps are 66 will defend them
We often talk about mediocrity after games relating to the Saints performance. This should apply to umpiring inconsistencies too. The Geish believes an 80% accuracy in game decisions is acceptable. He needs to understand that when this happens in games late in the fourth quarter this gives the game results lot of risk. This really isn't acceptable.

The trouble is; that in trying to keep the game flowing the whistle is often put away then remembered late in games when officials decisions are often very wrong. This same inconsistency applies to players when they retaliate to undue attention from another player. That's not OK and its the retaliator that often gets the penalty. I thought we increase umpire numbers to stop this. Apparently not, as we don't seem to see the offender caught until later reverted to the video replay. This is lagging indicator, provides no use to the team that should have received the beneficial free kick on the day. Instead w get comments to ensure the player at fault is protected from losing his place in the ensuing week. We need leading indicators not lagging indicators. to judge these incidents. I just don't understand why umpires believe they need to take more direct control in their decisions late in games?!!

We are going nowhere blaming umpire bias. There are other greater forces at work here (called business value drivers) that are deemed more important than the game itself. Rule changes too regularly make umpiring difficult to apply and often the rule is found to be suspect and later "interpreted out" later in the season. This resembles the practices of the current Labour Government.

We can be as precocious about events relating to racism, vilification etc and react accordingly. That's where consistency ends in this code with games results decided on the day or by other measures. There's nothing fair or consistent in Aussie rules anymore. Look at the draft. the fixture, the venues, the tribunal and the ridiculous merry go round of rule changes.. Honesty is only available when it suits them. Game decisions don't matter, ask the Geish, 80% is OK by him (mediocrity).

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Such a shame. I thought the umps were very good letting the game go most of the night. Then out of no where they flick a switch and start paying frees that weren't being paid all night. Changing interpretations week to week is hard enough to adapt to and understand, day by day even harder. But doing it suddenly during a match is comical.....well you have to laugh or else beat the crap out of your sofa.
Half time - free kicks
St Kilda 10
Eagles 16

Oh, they were letting it go in the first half all right, letting it go all one way. Absolute joke. Westaway and Watters need to make a stand and say something and then sit down with these umpires and ask some hard questions. They are not representing me, or you, or any St Kilda supporter if they just sit by and let this rubbish keep happening. ANYBODY who thinks tonight's umpiring was beyond reproach wasn't there.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
kalsaint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Umpires were great for three and a half quarters. I never criticise umpires, but after the last ten minutes and watching it again on TV, I'm starting to believe the conspiracy theorists. Mind you we did get away with a couple earlier on.
Yes we certainly got lucky on more than a few occasions with decisions. A couple of these were of consequences to the Eagles but the bulk weren't.

On the other hand there were plenty of more consequential decision mades agaist th Saints. This reminded me of that famous Fremantle game when the umpires gave Freo 5 goals from frees to 0 just in the last 1 1/2 quarters. They won that game by less than a goal too and there was a hullabloo about this with someone overhearing one umpires comments. Of course nothing ever happens to correct things. Imcompetent AFL management

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It was the 7 goals from frees that hurt compared to back line wing ones that are played on when already in the process of landing into a contested marking situation. The stats don't show the full picture of how much they stank.

I personally prefer the light on umpiring of the Carlton Essendon game. The less calls the less stuff ups. Every time two players contest there is a potential free kick. Most can be justified as correct but fans know when they are being shafted and the AFL need to act on it.

kalsaint
Club Player

Munga wrote:Such a shame. I thought the umps were very good letting the game go most of the night. Then out of no where they flick a switch and start paying frees that weren't being paid all night. Changing interpretations week to week is hard enough to adapt to and understand, day by day even harder. But doing it suddenly during a match is comical.....well you have to laugh or else beat the crap out of your sofa.
That my biggest issue with the calls today was the timing and inconsistency. and I did bang the crap out of the sofa.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
back to the junction wrote:I see some hope in the next few years after todays game. We got close to the Swans, Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast. After watching the SUNS over the past couple of weeks, that wasn't a bad loss considering, like the other pre mentioned teams, they could also make the finals this year. Ross Lyon killed our recruiting and opportunity to younger players and then he left us. Hawthorn, Geelong and Hawthorn haven't had any rebuild? Collingwood are still in the mix as well. The club or the Scotsman who is no longer at the club took us to bloody Seaford? Half of these people at the club make major decisions and then piss off. Like my sign on log on, back to the Junction. Correct me if I am wrong, Isn't Stkilda, the city, where we got our name from? With all our High Profile supporters, Warnie, Eric Bana, Gudinski and even Lindsay Fox, cant we please just ask the question. Can we build a social club at the junction oval and let our players train there?

The Junction Oval's a wee bit small and we'd likely get no support from the council, but I like the idea. Would make the players, the media and the supporters happy. There's always some soulless bean counter ready to say no, though.

Great idea. worked wonderfully well for the Demons, hasn't it? :lol: :lol:

Saint supporter since '62
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
That my biggest issue with the calls today was the timing and inconsistency. and I did bang the crap out of the sofa.
The way you seek personal pleasure shouldn't be ejected onto a football forum.

:lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

back to the junction wrote:I see some hope in the next few years after todays game. We got close to the Swans, Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast. After watching the SUNS over the past couple of weeks, that wasn't a bad loss considering, like the other pre mentioned teams, they could also make the finals this year. Ross Lyon killed our recruiting and opportunity to younger players and then he left us. Hawthorn, Geelong and Hawthorn haven't had any rebuild? Collingwood are still in the mix as well. The club or the Scotsman who is no longer at the club took us to bloody Seaford? Half of these people at the club make major decisions and then piss off. Like my sign on log on, back to the Junction. Correct me if I am wrong, Isn't Stkilda, the city, where we got our name from? With all our High Profile supporters, Warnie, Eric Bana, Gudinski and even Lindsay Fox, cant we please just ask the question. Can we build a social club at the junction oval and let our players train there?
Gerry Ryan puts in more money than all put together. Fox puts in 0.

realdeal
Club Player

suss wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:What was with that WCE kick-in Q2 that ran over the boundary without being touched.
No FREE???
Have they changed that rule as well?
The umpire thought it was touched. He was wrong.
He obviously didn't hear the 8,000 people on the wing telling him it wasn't touched.. Where is plugger66 defending the umps tonight? The crowd nearly rioted tonight, surely they all couldn't be wrong!?

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

you know... first 3 qrts they fraaked up for both sides.. so even though i was not happy with the green maggots i felt it was fair... then came the 4th... what a crock of s***. it as if a instruction was made to them to do all they could to get WC over the line... some of the free's paid and what it ment to us was just laughable. Saad free Roo free list just goes on and on.

I thought at games end 'well west coast must have lined up and given the maggots hand jobs before the game' just crazy... why can't we hav e a game umped like friday nights game.. 17 frees for the whole match. FRAAKING GREEN MAGGOTS

Darling should be up for a GOLD Loggie for that non hit to the head... A Selwood what a staging prick.. I hope one day he gets a real reason to play that head back. ala Lyod hit styles.

anyway.........

Fortius Quo Fidelius
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

realdeal wrote:
suss wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:What was with that WCE kick-in Q2 that ran over the boundary without being touched.
No FREE???
Have they changed that rule as well?
The umpire thought it was touched. He was wrong.
He obviously didn't hear the 8,000 people on the wing telling him it wasn't touched.. Where is plugger66 defending the umps tonight? The crowd nearly rioted tonight, surely they all couldn't be wrong!?
p66 is offline, he's playing "hide the whistle" with 3 skinny men he met thru Geischen.
He'll be back soon.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
deadman walking
Club Player

at 3 quarter time Dean Cox was talking to the umpire and we all know what happen in fourth quarter

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

this game was definitely influenced by instruction from above. good for the comp to have the Cheats competitive this year.
i'd like to know why the coaches can't talk about the umpiring. they can in the EPL. thank goodness for Finey last night.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote: thank goodness for Finey last night.
What did Finey say?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
What did Finey say?

He called Selwood's and Sheuy blatant cheats as they play for free kicks.

Show that since 2011 the WCE have had a positive differential of frees at +214, the next best was +112 and every other club was between +112 and -83 (unsurprisingly St.Kilda was -83).

Said it was an incredible outlier and that it was because the WCE blatantly cheat the way Bartlett used to cheat when he threw the ball infront of himself.

Asked WCE fans to call in and give a reason why they get such a HUGE amount more and none of the flogs could do so.

Said that if you wanted the sanatised AFL version of last night listen to Kevin Bartlett this morning who will defend every decision and say they are all "technically" correct and that it is good play to collapse at the knees at the slightest touch and play for free kicks.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The holding the ball frees where far worse. Shuey 7 steps tackled no free Cox and NiNat actually ran at the tackled to fend if and NiNat free.Then last quarter bang bang holding the ball twice against us then Butler dives on the ball in the square hatches it no no no ball up because......

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
lloyd21
Club Player

Go on defend that umpiring

The game is over guys .

The only point I would like to add was Terry Wallace all thru the game was saying definitely 3 goals had been decided by
Umpires to West coast.Amazingly he then at the end of the reflects oh no was not .
Would not have been reminded he had earlier in the week been given a new job within AFl.

No coincedience the top 9 teams in Afl currently on the ladder are the moneyball teams the AFL .

Unfortunately saints supporters have to accept we are going to get bent over with this , as it is what the AFL desires.

oh when the
Club Player

i dont accept losing as a good option

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:this game was definitely influenced by instruction from above. good for the comp to have the Cheats competitive this year.
i'd like to know why the coaches can't talk about the umpiring. they can in the EPL. thank goodness for Finey last night.
millarsaint, is that Peter Sellers in your avatar? Which film is it from?

Thanks

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
What did Finey say?

He called Selwood's and Sheuy blatant cheats as they play for free kicks.

Show that since 2011 the WCE have had a positive differential of frees at +214, the next best was +112 and every other club was between +112 and -83 (unsurprisingly St.Kilda was -83).

Said it was an incredible outlier and that it was because the WCE blatantly cheat the way Bartlett used to cheat when he threw the ball infront of himself.

Asked WCE fans to call in and give a reason why they get such a HUGE amount more and none of the flogs could do so.

Said that if you wanted the sanatised AFL version of last night listen to Kevin Bartlett this morning who will defend every decision and say they are all "technically" correct and that it is good play to collapse at the knees at the slightest touch and play for free kicks.
Ah, thanks. So do we need acting lessons like the Eagles or is there another solution to what has become a big problem and is costing us matches?

Watts the Buzz
Club Player

As I stated in another thread, there needs to be a Royal Commission into yesterday's game........the men in green obviously had something riding on the result.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

What ever happened to that rule that was going to punish the "actors" of the game. Where did that rule go, Dont think anyone was ever punished using the rule, but did it just fall into a black hole????

Buckets
SS Life Member

Just me or has Plugs been quiet on this one?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Just me or has Plugs been quiet on this one?
He was very active during the game thread, then disappeared as soon as the game ended. Perhaps he was just as disgusted