Saints v Tigers - preview and discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints v Tigers - preview and discussion

Possible outs: Simpkin (susp) Ben (concussion) Potential ins: Hayes, Wright, Saad

Tiges smashed dogs on a night that wasn't even one of their best, our hope is they underrate us and are "due" for a dip.

Richmond a few injury concerns, see how they pan out.

Thoughts?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Tigers - preview and discussion

Should be an interesting contest...

A potential bottom 9 side versus a potential top 9 side....

We might get an indication of what seperates one from the other...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
rymax
Club Player

Would be nice if we could stop Riewoldt for once. His last five games against us: 6, 7, 0 (KOed early on), 8, 7.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

given our seasons so far.........prob a similar margin tiges beat dogs by...

Dogs and us very similar

saint4life
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Tiges get ahead of themselves. Sure they won by 10 goals. This means they will celebrate all week.
Their fans will be patting them on the back when the players are out and about having coffee, at the supermarket, etc, giving them big heads.
We should get the jump on them early, snag a few quick goals, at quarter time Softwick will blast them, their sensitive nature will be offended, they retract into their shells and play for themselves and not each other.
We could win.
As long as the umpires don't get involved. Umm

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Tiges get ahead of themselves. Sure they won by 10 goals. This means they will celebrate all week.
Their fans will be patting them on the back when the players are out and about having coffee, at the supermarket, etc, giving them big heads.
We should get the jump on them early, snag a few quick goals, at quarter time Softwick will blast them, their sensitive nature will be offended, they retract into their shells and play for themselves and not each other.
We could win.

What examples do you have of tigers getting ahead of themselves this year. They should win easily but we should be in it for a long way. Need Simpkin to play though. Like his toughness at the contest. And unless Hayes has hurt himslf again he is a certain in so that helps.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I would say the loss against a severely depleted Freo side probably qualifies, don't you think? They had three wins in a row and then hired a rock band to play at their main training session of the week. I don't necessarily think we'll win, but I don't think we are completely without a chance either. This time of year has been traditionally when ninthmond drop games exactly like this one.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:I would say the loss against a severely depleted Freo side probably qualifies, don't you think? They had three wins in a row and then hired a rock band to play at their main training session of the week. I don't necessarily think we'll win, but I don't think we are completely without a chance either. This time of year has been traditionally when ninthmond drop games exactly like this one.

Freo have been depleted most of the year and have beaten most sides. You probably still think Loewe couldnt kick for goal at the end of his career because he couldnt early in his career. Why is it this week the Tigers get ahead of themselves and not yesterday or in 2 weeks. i reckon we should look for more logical reasons than that. maybe lenny being back or us breaking level in the midfield.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Tiges get ahead of themselves. Sure they won by 10 goals. This means they will celebrate all week.
We could win.
Be handy to get Fisher, Gilbert and Schneider back too. Schneider could play half a game or come on as a sub if fit.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:I would say the loss against a severely depleted Freo side probably qualifies, don't you think? They had three wins in a row and then hired a rock band to play at their main training session of the week. I don't necessarily think we'll win, but I don't think we are completely without a chance either. This time of year has been traditionally when ninthmond drop games exactly like this one.

Freo have been depleted most of the year and have beaten most sides. You probably still think Loewe couldnt kick for goal at the end of his career because he couldnt early in his career. Why is it this week the Tigers get ahead of themselves and not yesterday or in 2 weeks. i reckon we should look for more logical reasons than that. maybe lenny being back or us breaking level in the midfield.
Do try and stay on topic - what on earth does Stewart Loewe's kicking have to do with Richmond :roll:
I have already stated how key defenders coming back will assist and how if Schneider is fit he could make a huge difference, even if he only plays half a game or comes on as a sub. I saw signs yesterday and against the Eagles that our midfield are improving as a unit, and yes, if Lenny plays that will give us an enourmous lift.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Do try and stay on topic - what on earth does Stewart Loewe's kicking have to do with Richmond :roll:
I have already stated how key defenders coming back will assist and how if Schneider is fit he could make a huge difference, even if he only plays half a game or comes on as a sub. I saw signs yesterday and against the Eagles that our midfield are improving as a unit, and yes, if Lenny plays that will give us an enourmous lift.

You stated it after you said some other silly reason. A reason that is past it used by date just like loewe kicking. And there is no way Schneider should play this week not unless we really want to wreck his career. Needs games at sandy and probably at least 2 or 3 even with the sub. As you said later in the post, Lenny coming back will help and a better midfield. Richmond getting ahead of themselves isnt likely to happen.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

So what if the Tigers win?

That's expected and will help them make the eight which is long overdue.

It's a win-win either way - I hope we win!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see us play like we did in the first game against them .

Only this time with us getting 9 frees to 1 inside the forward fifty !

In red white and black from 73
matrix
Saintsational Legend

No fisher no gilbert and prob no simpkin.
We be in trouble back there against the tigers

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Who minds Riewoldt? Dempster? Gwilt?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Who minds Riewoldt? Dempster? Gwilt?
Dempster. He can play a defensive FB role.

Roo2 will kick 5 if we do well, more likely 7.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Tigers are on the "up." With Fisher and Gilbert out and if Simpkin doesn't play, our backline will be very thin. Roo 2 always plays well against us. Wright back, will bolster things a bit on the backline.

We will need to be at the top of our game to stay in the race. A "good effort" for 4 quarters will do me at the moment.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Fisher out, Simpkin likely suspended, Id hazard a guess that Dempster may get a crack.

Gwilt will get Vickery?

Stanley may need to ruck if Ben doesn't come up.

Ferg also a chance to come back in?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Possible outs: Simpkin (susp) Ben (concussion) Potential ins: Hayes, Wright, Saad

Tiges smashed dogs on a night that wasn't even one of their best, our hope is they underrate us and are "due" for a dip.

Thoughts?
hickey got dropped from sandy ...maybe insurance for ben not coming up this week......???

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think Ben will be Okay. I think Head will be on holidays for the next 2-3 games.

Does anyone think that Dylan Roberton is defensive enough to take on Jack Riewoldt? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SainterK wrote:Possible outs: Simpkin (susp) Ben (concussion) Potential ins: Hayes, Wright, Saad

Thoughts?
hickey got dropped from sandy ...maybe insurance for ben not coming up this week......???
I wouldn't think so as the Richmond game is a Sunday Twilight Game !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I think Ben will be Okay. I think Head will be on holidays for the next 2-3 games.

Does anyone think that Dylan Roberton is defensive enough to take on Jack Riewoldt? !!

His strength maybe the problem but we may have little choice. Im guessing ferg probably struggled today so he is unlikely and as you say Simpkin is in trouble.