Tom ledger?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Andreous
Club Player

Tom ledger?

Can anyone tell me what Tom Ledger needs to do to get pi led for the seniors?
He looked good a few years ago. Why has he not come on.
Thanks

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Re: Tom ledger?

i will get flamed here... but i dont think he's showing enough atm to earn a senior spot.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

It's bad luck for ledger, he doesn't appear to be good enough, it happens..

Some players have long careers and some don't

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

More composure with the footy, better decisions, better work rate defensively ....... Terrific clearance rate, very tough, finds the ball with ease...

He is obviously unpopular at Seaford, looks as though he hates being there and his team mates don't appear to like him... For whatever reason...

He needs a change, pity he's not getting a go, he can play..... Much more advanced and clearly a better player than Saunders... Who is favoured to him...

The boy is bright, but mustn't have great interpersonal skills??

SuperDuper
Club Player

I've said it before and will say it again.. a lot of players continue to improve at 22-23, which is when they generally hit their peak which is then sustained 6 years or so (this is statistaically speaking). Ledger is just 21 at the start of the season. If he improves the next 12 months as he should, he could still be an AFL standard player in 2014.... time will tell.. needs to keep working hard to make sure he gets another crack next year

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:I've said it before and will say it again.. a lot of players continue to improve at 22-23, which is when they generally hit their peak which is then sustained 6 years or so (this is statistaically speaking). Ledger is just 21 at the start of the season. If he improves the next 12 months as he should, he could still be an AFL standard player in 2014.... time will tell.. needs to keep working hard to make sure he gets another crack next year

3 games in 3 years for a mid isnt good enough. Better to say bad luck and look for another star. 2 coaches havent played him much. Suggests he has problems as a player and I think they are obvious watching him. Skill isnt good and panics.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:I've said it before and will say it again.. a lot of players continue to improve at 22-23, which is when they generally hit their peak which is then sustained 6 years or so (this is statistaically speaking). Ledger is just 21 at the start of the season. If he improves the next 12 months as he should, he could still be an AFL standard player in 2014.... time will tell.. needs to keep working hard to make sure he gets another crack next year

3 games in 3 years for a mid isnt good enough. Better to say bad luck and look for another star. 2 coaches havent played him much. Suggests he has problems as a player and I think they are obvious watching him. Skill isnt good and panics.
Agree. Definite delisting.

Nah, let's give all draftees 6 years to prove themselves, I'm sure Geelong do that.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:

I think it's been written on here as well that his attitude wasn't anywhere near what it should be - at the elite level of any sport, attitude can be the make or break.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He had dinner with other players last night, mingled with them through the night, are you sure he isn't liked by his peers?

Sure he hasn't got a game recently, but what suggests he's on the outer with his teammates BM?

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:He had dinner with other players last night, mingled with them through the night, are you sure he isn't liked by his peers?

Sure he hasn't got a game recently, but what suggests he's on the outer with his teammates BM?
Exactly, couldn't be further from the truth.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We are all speculating on the fact he doesn't get games. Maybe they have KPIs he has to meet and they will put him up when he meets them. Maybe team balance doesn't require another grunt in and under mid. Good luck to Ledge hope he makes it- time will tell wether or not he's worth persevering with. He does get the ball so he's half way there.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Maybe time to give Seb Ross a spell and try Ledger in the midfield?

mordi
Club Player

doesnt work hard enough.

What's the Point of it All?
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Both Ledger and Ross are quite similar. Both get a lot of the ball but both butcher it. Don't think you can play them both. Either one or the other. And as for Ledger not being popular among team mates. You got to be joking. By the way Saunders was good on Sunday.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

From what little I have seen doesn't have a lot of composure when he gets the ball and turns it over too frequently. Skills seem to let him down.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
SainterK wrote:He had dinner with other players last night, mingled with them through the night, are you sure he isn't liked by his peers?

For one of the few times i will go with BM here. he wasnt popular at all with certain players. may have changed. doubt though it is any reason at all for not getting a game.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i had high hopes for Ledger but i sadly think he might be another of those players who slip through the cracks .. i think he will have a heck of a fight to stay on the list and if he does get cut i doubt he will attract much interest at all from anyother club

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Would like to see him play 3 in a row, sink or swim time.

Same goes for Curren, lets have a look at them at AFL level do we can make call before the end of this year.

The Craw
Club Player

He might get a run sooner than you think ...... and from all accounts he is a nice young chap.

I have never known a football club where everyone is best mates. Just doesn't happen.

The boy has some confidence, not a bad thing if you ask me.

Not Craw, CRAW!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Would like to see him play 3 in a row, sink or swim time.

Same goes for Curren, lets have a look at them at AFL level do we can make call before the end of this year.

Never get this 3 in a row thing. many happy to get rid of ferg after one game. 3 in a row works if a player is ok in the first game. if they arent people forget they wanted them to play 3 in a row.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:

For one of the few times i will go with BM here. he wasnt popular at all with certain players. may have changed. doubt though it is any reason at all for not getting a game.
Fair enough, but could say same with every player on list. Not everyone is going to get along with each other. Always going to be "issues" when you have group 46 blokes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:

Fair enough, but could say same with every player on list. Not everyone is going to get along with each other. Always going to be "issues" when you have group 46 blokes.
Agreed but his problem was just about everyone in his age group. that was a while ago though. No idea now. As i said though it was have nothing to do with him not getting a game. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasnt been involved in any footy club. coaches will always pick the best players for the job because I would think nearly all wont to keep their job. he isnt getting a game for other reasons.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him at Freo playing senior footy next year. He is clearly a better player right now than several guys who are getting games but there must be more reasons than football ability which are keeping him out of the side. Lyon rated him and gave him matches when fit and in form, he has since become a better player and Watters won't play him - or even name him as an emergency.

Skills simply can't be the reason he isn't playing. Jack Steven was one of the worst kicks of the footy I've seen at AFL level last year, but that was because he was rushing and didn't have the composure required. That only comes with experience, and now his kicking is fine - I suspect the same thing would happen with Ledger if he was given time. Jones has been a liability with the ball for his entire career and that hasn't stopped him getting picked. Fitness couldn't be an issue given he is racking up huge numbers in the VFL and has been a stand-out performer in final quarters. Maybe it's defensive pressure, although I find it hard to believe that such a smart kid wouldn't be able to wake up to the fact that he needs to chase and tackle to save his AFL career. What seems most likely to me is that he doesn't get along with Watters.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

tony74 wrote:Both Ledger and Ross are quite similar. Both get a lot of the ball but both butcher it. Don't think you can play them both. Either one or the other. And as for Ledger not being popular among team mates. You got to be joking. By the way Saunders was good on Sunday.
You are completely off the mark here, Sebs disposal is as good as any player in the senior team.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He is just not AFL standard.

I've said it before that he tries to do it all himself and doesn't use teammates. Probably as others have said this is because he panics and makes bad decisions.

Doubt he'll be here next year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell