Who do you think is on stkilda's watch list for this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Higgz11

Who do you think is on stkilda's watch list for this year?

We definitely need a key defender but not really sure who.

And maybe a some young guns like omeara or wines.

What are your thoughts?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who do you think is on stkilda's watch list for this yea

Well obviously Brown for some unknown reason. better get him for nothing or bugger all. We arent going to get a young gun because we can only trade picks and most of the bottom sides what star players.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Well obviously Brown for some unknown reason. better get him for nothing or bugger all. We arent going to get a young gun because we can only trade picks and most of the bottom sides what star players.

Both Browns were linked to GWS on one of the footy shows last night.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My thoughts are well documented .
Yes we need a key defender but if people think that is going to save us they have another thing coming
The hawks nearly won a flag without one last year and the swans had teddy Richards .

Midfield midfield midfield.
Unless we get 3 young guns in the miss we will be anchored the the bottom .

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:My thoughts are well documented .
Yes we need a key defender but if people think that is going to save us they have another thing coming
The hawks nearly won a flag without one last year and the swans had teddy Richards .

Midfield midfield midfield.
Unless we get 3 young guns in the miss we will be anchored the the bottom .
I agree, backlines look a hell of a lot better when the midfield is getting first hands on the ball, if you look at 09 where we had the lowest against scor for nearly 40 years, there weren't a lot of superstars in the defensive lineup but they worked well together and the team defence across the ground made it difficult for anyone to score.
Our first, second and third priority should be midfielders

spot on
Club Player

Taylor Adams should be hight on our list, with nick Haynes , mav weller and Luke Russell would all be get table . Luke Parker I thinks the best option. For the back line , well brown for hopefully nothing, keath from collingwood, josh Bruce gws. Would rather trade for some gun young mids

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Is it impossible to find a player who's already in the mix to play down back? Look how Guerra switched from our forward line into the hawks defence.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Scott Watters has outlined his priority

A key defender....

You can't possibly be competitive without one.... Opposition talls have a field day against us.

Midfielders can be gotten at anytime... They are in abundance

If free agency is not used, we are not using all avenues of getting talent into the club.... This club need talent, leadership and experience over the next 6 years.... 2 or 3 A grade players in the 24-26 age bracket is surely a must

We have a hole which needs to be filled

Hamill/Gehrig/Black/Voss/Guerra/Powell were critical, every bit as the DPs mid 2000s
As were Gardiner/Dempster/Schnieder/Ray/Dawson/Peake) in the 2009/2010 campaigns

How are we going to look
NO Hayes, Riewoldt, Blake, Fisher, Dal, Joey, Schnieder, Dempster, Milne
That's almost our top ten in the B&F every year for half a decade all gone in a few seasons

You use all aspects of list management to reinvigorate you're list..... Just using the ND has NEVER worked

spot on
Club Player

Maybe trade pick 3 for Adams and Haynes , those players were picks 7 and 11 couple years back, Haynes is from frankson too

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Free agency will not help us get A graders as the only thing we can offer is cash.
We do not have elite facilities and staff, we do not play the block buster games, we will not be playing finals for a number of years.
So all we can offer an A grade player is cash, not GWS , Sydney or Gold Coast cash obviously but reasonable cash.
However, we can only offer cash if we are willing to go back on our new pay structure where noone will be over paid so we couldn't keep Goddard.
You can only get A graders by offering huge money, see Clarke or the chance to win stuff, see Burgoyne and Lake or both, Tippett.
We are one of the least desirable locations for a player to go, probably in the bottom four with the Doggies, Melbourne and North.
Even North are probably more desirable than us as they are pushing for finals footy.

Unfortunately, that means the only way we get A graders is drafting and trading.
And the only way to get an A grader trading is by offering something that might get the other side an A grader in exchange.

The future is looking pretty bleak for the poorer clubs, us included.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I have heard that many recruiters are eyeing off 2014 & 2015 as big free agency years, this year not so much...hopefully we don't give west coast our farm for brown, he looks like a good ordinary type to me.

paddy
Club Player

dragit wrote:I have heard that many recruiters are eyeing off 2014 & 2015 as big free agency years, this year not so much...hopefully we don't give west coast our farm for brown, he looks like a good ordinary type to me.
I think he is out of contract, in which case if he declares that he wants to come to us, we can just pick him up in the draft.... for nothing....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote: I think he is out of contract, in which case if he declares that he wants to come to us, we or anyone else can just pick him up in the draft.... for nothing....
Edited for correctness :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah i think last year he would have needed to be traded and this year he is a free agent????

correct that if its wrong

paddy
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
paddy wrote: I think he is out of contract, in which case if he declares that he wants to come to us, we or anyone else can just pick him up in the draft.... for nothing....
Edited for correctness :)

:D

true, but i was under the impression that if a player identifies a club that they want to go to, no other club will take them on... kind of an unwritten rule???

Kernal75
Club Player

I think we need to take our medicine and look to the draft to ensure long term success. Yes we can make some canny trades if they suit us but ultimately the best way to long term success (IMO) is via the draft.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Midfielders that can gut run, have good foot skills and can kick goals desperately needed.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Moorabbin Man wrote:Midfielders that can gut run, have good foot skills and can kick goals desperately needed.

This.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Moorabbin Man wrote:Midfielders that can gut run, have good foot skills and can kick goals desperately needed.

And being able to find the pill won't hurt either.................

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

IF M. Brown expresses his desire to join the Saints, AND we can then recruit him as a free agent, then we would be foolish to spurn such an opportunity (IMHO) I'm a wee bit unsure of this Free Agency rule, would we have to "compensate" West Coast as Essendon have done for Goddard?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:IF M. Brown expresses his desire to join the Saints, AND we can then recruit him as a free agent, then we would be foolish to spurn such an opportunity (IMHO) I'm a wee bit unsure of this Free Agency rule, would we have to "compensate" West Coast as Essendon have done for Goddard?

I dont think he is a FA next year but is out of contract and can go into the pre season draft. the problem with that is GWS will have a pick before us and if they want him they get him. We may have to trade to ensure we get him which means probably paying overs. If that happens i will continue to support geelong and will not swap my support to the Saints as planned.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

If he does threaten to go to the pre season draft we should offer them a third rounder the same as they offered for Cripps and if they won't take it let him walk.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:
dragit wrote:I have heard that many recruiters are eyeing off 2014 & 2015 as big free agency years, this year not so much...hopefully we don't give west coast our farm for brown, he looks like a good ordinary type to me.
I think he is out of contract, in which case if he declares that he wants to come to us, we can just pick him up in the draft.... for nothing....
gws can offer a high pick for him......either 19 or 37......anyway...watched him closely last two weeks...not much chop afaics.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gosaints
Club Player

Is Rory Sloane still out of contract at the Crows???
If so he is someone I'd like to see us make a play for. Would need to be a trade but he would suit what we need.
Gut running mid, 23-24 years of age... Can go forward and kick a goal.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

The fact we offered so much for brown last season really gives me little faith in the likes of pelican. We were very close to paying well over.
Re attracting gun mids I think the sentiment here is right and that was proven last year with whatshisface that went to the cats. We courted him, offered him splash and leadership, wine and dined him at seafords finest and he said thanks all the same but I'll go to the cattery where they run a professional outfit and breed success.

#1 Ryder fan