Rate our "acceptable" losses this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Rate our "acceptable" losses this year

1. Freo
2. Sydney
3. West Coast
4. Collingwood

Is my order from best loss.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Rate our "acceptable" losses this year

Hate to be cliche, but no loss is acceptable. I would hope they're seen as learning curves and experiences that drive the players rather something the club and fans accept.

I think we have performed admirably for long periods in all the games mentioned above, along with patches during the Essendon, Richmond (R2), Gold Coast and North Melbourne games.

I think our performance yesterday would have beaten a number of other teams, same with the Sydney game.

I think the Adelaide and Richmond (R14) games are the only matches this year where we've been comprehensively outplayed from start to finish.

ThePunter
Club Player

The completely unacceptable performances have been v Essendon, v North Melbourne, v Western Bulldogs, & v Richmond (Round 14).

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

ThePunter wrote:The completely unacceptable performances have been v Essendon, v North Melbourne, v Western Bulldogs, & v Richmond (Round 14).
Don't forget the Crows game...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:The completely unacceptable performances have been v Essendon, v North Melbourne, v Western Bulldogs, & v Richmond (Round 14).
And Gold Coast Rd 1 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Wet Toast! Completely unacceptable! Besides the fact that we were robbed of the points by the umps, the Egirls are only a mediocre side. The most annoying loss of the season, even more than losing to the dogs.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

a loss is a loss...they are all bad...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Worst Loss - Adelaide
Best Win - Carlton

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I hate the cliche regarding no loss is acceptable.
Of course noone wants a loss, but when you're developing a team like we are, some losses accelerate development more than some wins even. Take the GWS and Melbourne wins, other than some morale, we played poorly, lacked intensity and beat them up so to speak.

For me the young kids have learnt more from yesterday against Freo and the close loss against West Coast and Sydney than those two wins.

I would rather talk about best and poor efforts than wins.

The best 5 games for development this year

1. Carlton
2. Feeo
3. Sydney
4. West Coast
5. Collingwood

The worst 5

1. Bulldogs
2. North
3. Gold Coast
4. Richmond (round 14)
5. Adelaide

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely believe that NO loss is "acceptable". I always remember good old Andrew Thompson glaring at an interviewer who had raised the issue of "gallant losses" with him, back in 2002. Thommo said "Gallant losses? that's CRAP! we don't want any gallant losses we want to WIN"
Now that's the spirit we want at the club. HOWEVER......... having said that, there can often be features shown by a team in a game, : attitude, intensity, guts and determination - that can ease the pain of a loss somewhat. As I have missed most of this season I'm not qualified to comment, but that Richmond performance was among the worst I've seen for a while. Likewise victories CAN be at times hard to watch (Melbourne a week or two back?) the point is to make this the mantra: "Build from victory; learn from defeat" IF our coaching panel, players and club admin can apply this to their DAILY efforts then I DO believe we are on our way!!!!! :D GO SAINTS!!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Absolutely believe that NO loss is "acceptable". I always remember good old Andrew Thompson glaring at an interviewer who had raised the issue of "gallant losses" with him, back in 2002. Thommo said "Gallant losses? that's CRAP! we don't want any gallant losses we want to WIN"
Now that's the spirit we want at the club. HOWEVER......... having said that, there can often be features shown by a team in a game, : attitude, intensity, guts and determination - that can ease the pain of a loss somewhat. As I have missed most of this season I'm not qualified to comment, but that Richmond performance was among the worst I've seen for a while. Likewise victories CAN be at times hard to watch (Melbourne a week or two back?) the point is to make this the mantra: "Build from victory; learn from defeat" IF our coaching panel, players and club admin can apply this to their DAILY efforts then I DO believe we are on our way!!!!! :D GO SAINTS!!!!!!!
Well said. That's why I used the "" as we are a developing team and you need perspective. I went to the Melbourne "win" but preferred the loss to Freo as an example of where we are at.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I dont accept the WCE game as an acceptable loss.

We were screwed by hopelessly in competent umpires.

6-1 frees in the last qtr (ours OOF).

The Priddis free, the non hold the ball against butler, then the hold the ball against Saad.

39 more tackles and not one HTB for us but WCE got 2 :roll:

We were absolutely bent over.

The others? Well we had a crack. Thought we were **** over by the s.hit incompetent umpires against the Tigers as well (first game).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Its been mooted on here that we are in for "8 years of pain" SO? have none of us experienced it before? HELLO! this is St Kilda FC! PAIN? DEFEATS? HEARTBREAK? yes, we're no strangers to any of those. Does it stop us? HELL NO!!!!!!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I dont accept the WCE game as an acceptable loss.

We were screwed by hopelessly in competent umpires.

6-1 frees in the last qtr (ours OOF).

The Priddis free, the non hold the ball against butler, then the hold the ball against Saad.

39 more tackles and not one HTB for us but WCE got 2 :roll:

We were absolutely bent over.

The others? Well we had a crack. Thought we were **** over by the s.hit incompetent umpires against the Tigers as well (first game).
Yes we were screwed and for supporters the loss is BS.
The players however can take a lot of development from that game, the result is almost meaningless to them.
In fact the loss may help our draft pick at the end of the year.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the win loss margin doesnt matter its about getting games into the kids ... if we lose by 1 or 100 it means little to me aslong as we see the kids progressing

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
maverick
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:the win loss margin doesnt matter its about getting games into the kids ... if we lose by 1 or 100 it means little to me aslong as we see the kids progressing
Only issue I have is that if they get thumped too often it becomes a habit and starts to get ingrained.
This is why Hayes, Joey, Dal, Roo etc need to stay around and help the process along.
Except for a handful of games we have been competitive and the heart has been in it, they learn much more from that IMO.
Otherwise you can end up with Melbourne and Richmond scenarios.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Its been mooted on here that we are in for "8 years of pain" SO? have none of us experienced it before? HELLO! this is St Kilda FC! PAIN? DEFEATS? HEARTBREAK? yes, we're no strangers to any of those. Does it stop us? HELL NO!!!!!!
All good in theory but that's not what our membership numbers suggest unfortunately. Most clubs are trending upwards with population growth, not us.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Most clubs are trending upwards with population growth, not us.
Most clubs aren't going from a decade of finals to 16th, our supporters are our supporters, no point moaning about it all the time.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

So SP the bandwaggoners are jumping off? Doesn't make me change the stance one iota!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:the win loss margin doesnt matter its about getting games into the kids ... if we lose by 1 or 100 it means little to me aslong as we see the kids progressing
Only issue I have is that if they get thumped too often it becomes a habit and starts to get ingrained.
This is why Hayes, Joey, Dal, Roo etc need to stay around and help the process along.
Except for a handful of games we have been competitive and the heart has been in it, they learn much more from that IMO.
Otherwise you can end up with Melbourne and Richmond scenarios.
i dont think thats really true ... in 2000 we won 2 games and drew one .. with an average losing margin of 39 points (this included 5 losses by 10 goals or more) ... in 2001 we won 4 games with an average losing margin of 34 points (4 games by more than 10 goals) then in 2002 we won 5 and a draw with an average loss of 29 points (5 games by 10 goals including a 122point loss to geelong) and 2003 we won 10 games with an average losing margin of 24 (2x 10 goal losses) ...
that era was the starting block for the likes of Lenny Roo Dal Kosi BJ Ball Joey Milne Fisher .... all of them seemed to be able get through without it being ingrained into them heck throw in a couple of coach sackings aswell and they came out pretty damn well if you ask me ... results matter little its the experiance of playing alongside the big boys thats the key .. all these kids will at some point reach this moment when they realise that "hang on these blokes are not much better then me " thats when we see the improvement come

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We did a pretty good job on Sunday - and Im quite pleased to see we were competitive without Roo

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:We did a pretty good job on Sunday - and Im quite pleased to see we were competitive without Roo
Yeah really good point Con, I'd like to see how we go without Roo a bit more. I reckon they should rest Roo one or more times this year, possibly look at a game where Lee gets the forward line to himself again.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

they are all acceptable....hmmmm draft choices.... :P

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Played well and lost against Freo and WCE

Very unlucky vs WC and some decisions didn't go our way

Freo great effort.

Gold Coast and WB were disgraceful efforts

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Most clubs are trending upwards with population growth, not us.
Most clubs aren't going from a decade of finals to 16th, our supporters are our supporters, no point moaning about it all the time.
Great attitude. You clearly don't get my point.

After a decade of finals WHY are we going backwards and what is the club marketing wise doing to try stopping it is the big question?

I don't have the answers but its not just us being crap this year.