Round 18 Team v Geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 18 Team v Geelong

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:rumours that Roo and Roberton both out...
I'd like to see Roo sit this one out to be honest. Just reckon SW should be picking more games later in the season for him to rest up. It's going to be a cold and crappy night at Kadinia and Roo will push himself as usual and the Geelong players will want to work him hard.

What is he resting for though? Surely not next season. If he is fit then he should play, if he isnt then he shouldnt but no rest is needed.
My suggestion for resting is based on longevity of career so yes I suppose that takes next season into consideration.

I also think it gives SW a chance to test out different set-ups with different forwards especially Lee. I thought the forward structure and setups for the Freo game without Roo looked really good and personally I'd like to see it a little more to see if it can work long term especially if a forward setup can be built around Tom Lee.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
Exactly..people are allowed an opinion but this aura of "Watters doesnt have a clue, I know better"???

Unless you go to every meeting and every training session youre just a mug fan. Some people need some perspective
Interesting listening to KB on SEN recently talking about the negative influence from a certain faction of the supporter base that had the "sack the coach" mentality" which ultimately kept them at the bottom for longer than was necessary.

I reckon the "sack the coach" mentality has also been too strong a part of our clubs culture in the past and it is really something the club should work hard to move away from.

To a certain extent I think one of Scott Watter's strengths is his media relations - which coincidently was possibly developed under Malthouse and McGuire at the Pies - and as such he and the club would do well to continue to be very public and very consistent in their message about what their plan is. In politics it is absolutely critical to do the same and so far I think the club and SW have been very good at telling us where we are at and where we are going as well as being transparent about things like recruiting polices.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

GRAMophone wrote:Roberton confirmed withdrawn....on SEN in the past hour

i would have been surprised if he had played....doctor overruling the coach eh?????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Interesting listening to KB on SEN recently talking about the negative influence from a certain faction of the supporter base that had the "sack the coach" mentality" which ultimately kept them at the bottom for longer than was necessary.

I reckon the "sack the coach" mentality has also been too strong a part of our clubs culture in the past and it is really something the club should work hard to move away from.

To a certain extent I think one of Scott Watter's strengths is his media relations - which coincidently was possibly developed under Malthouse and McGuire at the Pies - and as such he and the club would do well to continue to be very public and very consistent in their message about what their plan is. In politics it is absolutely critical to do the same and so far I think the club and SW have been very good at telling us where we are at and where we are going as well as being transparent about things like recruiting polices.

good post..

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:

just caught this over on BF..

@AFL_PKeane: Dylan Roberton has withdrawn from the St Kilda side for tomorrow's match v Geelong and been replaced by Rhys Stanley.

I like stanley a lot but wonder if this will do more damage to his confidence.

It would be fair to say that Stanley was never actually out of the side.
He also knows he needs to put in a decent effort this week

Saints43
Club Player

SainterK wrote:He also knows he needs to put in a decent effort this week
I thought being named on the bench last week was to give that same signal.

I still have big hopes for hime though. Still an inexperienced kid.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Stanley showed some good signs last week with out capping off his good work. Edged a couple of defenders out in a marking contests only to drop the mark. Shows he is starting to gain confidence just needs to finish the job.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
stinger
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Stanley showed some good signs last week with out capping off his good work. Edged a couple of defenders out in a marking contests only to drop the mark. Shows he is starting to gain confidence just needs to finish the job.

hope so...god, i hope so.....

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Stanley showed some good signs last week with out capping off his good work. Edged a couple of defenders out in a marking contests only to drop the mark. Shows he is starting to gain confidence just needs to finish the job.
And whilst he didn't get any media stats in the first half he did some things that don't get in the Herald Sun stats which is a good sign for a struggling defender still very much learning the game. His second half was much better.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

good post..
Thanks. You obviously understand how things work.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
And whilst he didn't get any media stats in the first half he did some things that don't get in the Herald Sun stats which is a good sign for a struggling defender still very much learning the game. His second half was much better.

Yeah I noticed that. Think he will make it and be a long term player. Remember this is the longest stretch of games he's played add to the fact he's played nearly every position.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:

just caught this over on BF..

@AFL_PKeane: Dylan Roberton has withdrawn from the St Kilda side for tomorrow's match v Geelong and been replaced by Rhys Stanley.

I like stanley a lot but wonder if this will do more damage to his confidence.

It would be fair to say that Stanley was never actually out of the side.
true that Curly...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
I would like to see a forum rule made that suspends members on here that start those stupid 'Sack watters' threads after a bad loss. these few know who they're and they are always start sprouting that gibberish after a decent loss. Also sick of seeing the ' Saints are doomed' threads as well after loss.

Man up <edit by MODS>

Back on topic, I watched the full Cats Crows game last weekend. What I learned is the cats given constant presure muck up disposal. Crows also hurt them by constantly moving it forward and rushing the cats defenders.

Cats are far from unbeatable and in the last 3 weeks have been way off their A game. If we can start decently and not allow a 4-5 quick goal opening, we're in with a big shot if we can bring the same game we took to port in the last 2. Port are no push over.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Lot of time for Stanley, hopefully he has a very good match, with Roberton out, it looked like being Stanley or Dunell

Wright is now the 3rd emergency. (from BF Saints board)
Good on him, must be close to selection again.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Lot of time for Stanley
Me too. Tall guys that can run like Usain Bolt don't grow on trees. Two rare commodities combined and hopefully he can become something special.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

B Simpkin - Gwilt - Dempster
Hb Geary - Stanley - Newnes
C Ray - Hayes - Jones
Hf Dal Santo - Riewoldt - Montagna
F Milne - Lee - Saunders
Foll McEvoy - Armitage - Steven
Int: Hickey - Siposs - Webster - Curren
Emg: Ross - Dunell - Wright

IN: Geary, Siposs
OUT: Dennis-Lane, Roberton (inj)

That's more of a real forward line surely. Also one small fwd - others rotate thru the midfield.

Now only missing Roberton, Schneider, Fisher, Gilbert & Wilkes-Maister

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:I would like to see a forum rule made that suspends members on here that start those stupid 'Sack watters' threads after a bad loss. these few know who they're and they are always start sprouting that gibberish after a decent loss. Also sick of seeing the ' Saints are doomed' threads as well after loss.
Not a fan of other people's opinions?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:I would like to see a forum rule made that suspends members on here that start those stupid 'Sack watters' threads after a bad loss. these few know who they're and they are always start sprouting that gibberish after a decent loss. Also sick of seeing the ' Saints are doomed' threads as well after loss.
Whilst I share Shangai Saints annoyance with the mindless coach bashing I agree with your sentiments that all opinions should be allowed. The mindless coach bashing sentiments are pretty easy to knock down anyway and you can have fun while you do it.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
opinions are welcome, but you notice this trend alot when we lose.. i am yet to see a sack watters thread yet after a strong game or a win.

peace!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ljpoyz
Club Player

It is like people are emotionally involved or something...

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

ljpoyz wrote:It is like people are emotionally involved or something...
no not us Saints supporters.

I like a few quietly thought this year was going to be a lot better... it hit home hard around round 10 that i was very wrong.. now I am just enjoying seeing our new kids show their stuff..

But i do think the pussy cats need to be on their best level tomorrow night.. as we're showing some thing atm and if they are napping we will beat them.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Doctor Two
Club Player

Why don't just have a sticky "Sack Watters'' thread so the nuffies have somewhere to go after a loss and the rest of us can just focus on th serious stuff :)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Coaches are normally called to be sacked after losses

What I would like to see is a Sack Watters thread after a win.... Because that would not make sense?!

Personally I don't think a new coach would matter right now.... If he doesn't improve tactically... Maybe in a few years he might need replacing... If the list develops

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not a bad side. Slightly undersized in defence (no surprises there folks) but overall I like the balance. No passengers and heaps of versatility.

Big Ben and Hickey will need to drop back as much as possible to help out with height back there.

Seb Ross unlucky but is being kept out by Lenny and Armo so no shame there for Seb.
Once Lenny retires Seb will be in every week.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm a bit behind the news but my previous post was talking about the original team.

Well if Roberton is out and Rhys is in it's a huge reprieve for Rhys.

Either leaves us horribly imbalanced with three ruckman or he adds height to our backline .
Which one will it be ?