Rhys on the table

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys on the table

At the best a GOP- a basketballer trying to play football

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Stanley will come good IMO. He showed some really good signs earlier this year and even though he isn't going so well at the moment the positive is he's racking up games and getting some conditioning into his body. He will be better for it next year IMO.

He has to be because if he isnt he will be gone at the end of next year. We have been a major disappointment and I think that is proven when the only positive is playing a good amount of games in a row.
They are a major disappointment to you possibly because they haven't met your win/loss prediction that you made at the start of the year.

Because I didn't have such high expectations as you I don't think they are a major disappointment.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so really the title should say "Rhys should be on the table" to then reflect your opinion

i thought there had been some kind of announcement from the club that a player we have signed into 2015 ( if im correct) wanted out or the coaching staff wanted him out

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Stanley will come good IMO. He showed some really good signs earlier this year and even though he isn't going so well at the moment the positive is he's racking up games and getting some conditioning into his body. He will be better for it next year IMO.

He has to be because if he isnt he will be gone at the end of next year. We have been a major disappointment and I think that is proven when the only positive is playing a good amount of games in a row.
They are a major disappointment to you possibly because they haven't met your win/loss prediction that you made at the start of the year.

Because I didn't have such high expectations as you I don't think they are a major disappointment.

Sorry i meant he has been a major disappointment. By the way we have as well. I noticed you had us finishing 12th this year which usually suggests 7 or 8 wins. We are likely to win half that. i would suggest that is a major disappointment as well. i had us finishing 10th to 14th so I reckon we are pretty similar in how we thought we would go. I think if you can see no wrong with a coach then you will say you are not disappointed even if the start of the year suggests you now should be. I see faults with our coach and maybe thats why I say we have been a major disappointment. Maybe we are both biased.

southernsaint
Club Player

No way we should trade Rhys he has only played 38 games. Who knew Roberton would turn out to have such a good season when we signed him up late last year? He had played 37 games at that stage. Give Rhys another preseason let him play forward next year and then i think some people will change there minds. Rhys will be a very good player

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sorry i meant he has been a major disappointment. By the way we have as well. I noticed you had us finishing 12th this year which usually suggests 7 or 8 wins. We are likely to win half that. i would suggest that is a major disappointment as well. i had us finishing 10th to 14th so I reckon we are pretty similar in how we thought we would go. I think if you can see no wrong with a coach then you will say you are not disappointed even if the start of the year suggests you now should be. I see faults with our coach and maybe thats why I say we have been a major disappointment. Maybe we are both biased.
I can see faults...believe you me! However I think on balance, and in relation to where we are at in the equalisation cycle, I think SW has more positives than negatives at present and as you know I'm not prepared to mark him down on team selections and match day management just yet. If he gets to the stage where he has some type of list to work with, then yes, it will be time to critique him on that type of stuff but right now I don't see the point in marking him down heavily on that area of his coaching.

People are making comparisons with Neeld and Melbourne which is just over the top and misguided IMO. From what I understand Neeld made some fundamental 101 management errors the minute he walked in the door and apparently got a lot of people in the club offside and then never recovered.

We have had a good number of new players introduced successfully into the team this year and also some established players improve. Yes some haven't improved but if you look at Stanley, at least he has played most games this year which is a positive considering we all thought he was a china doll before this season. So a tick to the club for keeping him on the park and to be fair he played some good games earlier in the Season. So he's shown that he's got something to work with now lets see if he can improve on that next year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

A bit rough on Rhys seeing Pluggers favourite Mc Evoy has played a heap more games and still is yet to meet any kind of potential we keep hearing about. If someone had suggested Mc Evoy go plugger would have had a melt down and suggested he's a future captain. Why is one's potential greater than the other? I see more upside in Rhys as when rotations are caped athletic ruck forwards are going to be gold. Dinosaur rucks that lumber around slowly are not getting more valuable unless they tear up the ruck like minson is doing.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:A bit rough on Rhys seeing Pluggers favourite Mc Evoy has played a heap more games and still is yet to meet any kind of potential we keep hearing about. If someone had suggested Mc Evoy go plugger would have had a melt down and suggested he's a future captain. Why is one's potential greater than the other? I see more upside in Rhys as when rotations are caped athletic ruck forwards are going to be gold. Dinosaur rucks that lumber around slowly are not getting more valuable unless they tear up the ruck like minson is doing.
I actually reckon you can benefit from one of each type you mention. It is very handy to have a strong bodied ruckman still crashing and bashing deep into the 4th quarter of a GF. And having the athletic type is also pretty handy on GF day when all others are tiring and you are tall and fast...the versatile ruckman. I reckon Rhys is being groomed to be more versatile than just a ruck though...the tall utility type if you like. Swing forward or back and backup in the ruck if needed.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
gringo wrote:A bit rough on Rhys seeing Pluggers favourite Mc Evoy has played a heap more games and still is yet to meet any kind of potential we keep hearing about. If someone had suggested Mc Evoy go plugger would have had a melt down and suggested he's a future captain. Why is one's potential greater than the other? I see more upside in Rhys as when rotations are caped athletic ruck forwards are going to be gold. Dinosaur rucks that lumber around slowly are not getting more valuable unless they tear up the ruck like minson is doing.
I actually reckon you can benefit from one of each type you mention. It is very handy to have a strong bodied ruckman still crashing and bashing deep into the 4th quarter of a GF. And having the athletic type is also pretty handy on GF day when all others are tiring and you are tall and fast...the versatile ruckman. I reckon Rhys is being groomed to be more versatile than just a ruck though...the tall utility type if you like. Swing forward or back and backup in the ruck if needed.

I know what you are saying but he needs to start winning a mass of tap outs. He is a second rate ruck still- Minson was for years too so he has time. I would keep both as you do need a few rucks on the list.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I still believe defence is his best chance.

His head is the issue.

He could end being the Brett Rainbow of the Saints.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think we're forgetting that… he isn't playing full back because it's his best spot…

We have absolutely no alternative ATM.

He may not end up being a star, but for what we'd get (50 - 60) in a trade, he's definitely worth hanging onto for now.

Hickey is young and fragile, McEvoy is pretty durable, but one knock to the knee like last year and Stanley is basically our # 1 ruck.

Rhys has been disappointing no doubt, but he is a 22 year old, 38 game, 200+cm forward trying to hold down full back… His best footy would still be years away, so don't get too impatient.

Kosi, Roo, Blake, Fisher, Dempster will be all gone soon, so getting rid of one of our only talls with experience would be complete madness unless we suddenly pick up 3 or 4 better player at that height.

He hasn't even played 2 seasons worth of games yet… jeepers… patience arsehopper.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I think we're forgetting that… he isn't playing full back because it's his best spot…

He may not end up being a star, but for what we'd get (50 - 60) in a trade, he's definitely worth hanging onto for now.

Hickey is young and fragile, McEvoy is pretty durable, but one knock to the knee like last year and Stanley is basically our # 1 ruck.

Rhys has been disappointing no doubt, but he is a 22 year old, 38 game, 200+cm forward trying to hold down full back… His best footy would still be years away, so don't get too impatient.

Kosi, Roo, Blake, Fisher, Dempster will be all gone soon, so getting rid of one of our only talls with experience would be complete madness unless we suddenly pick up 3 or 4 better player at that height.

He hasn't even played 2 seasons worth of games yet… jeepers… patience arsehopper.
It's not about patience, it's about mindset and work ethic.

Can that desperation to win be taught?

Not sure.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
dragit wrote:I think we're forgetting that… he isn't playing full back because it's his best spot…

It's not about patience, it's about mindset and work ethic.

Can that desperation to win be taught?

Not sure.
He may well need some time in the 2's… and sure if he doesn't show interest in playing football then he has no future… that is the coaches job, to help get the best out of players.

Not sure how excited I would be either as a young forward, playing FB with 63 - 25 inside 50's. He's doing a pretty thankless task, verging on the impossible, with little to no experience… Of course his confidence is down.

Let's not throw the baby out just yet.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

He should stay just for the GF sprints, loved his work that day

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Superboot
SS Life Member

spert wrote:At the best a GOP- a basketballer trying to play football
Not far off the mark.

He does look like an athlete who is new to footy, having spent his teenage years playing another sport.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Have no idea what you are on about. I suppose that means you are consistant. If you actually think ben is my favourite player then you are even more consistant. When Stanley gets in the best at least once this year then get back to me.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

I have seen Rhys kick a few goals off nice marks lets not forget the good the kid has shown.. he's had a dog year being moved all around the place... I hoped he could be a backman but looks like he's a forward... he has played very well as a forward in the past. so don't just write him off based on this year. Confidence is a massive part of a players game.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
spert wrote:At the best a GOP- a basketballer trying to play football
Not far off the mark.

He does look like an athlete who is new to footy, having spent his teenage years playing another sport.
There are a few AFL stars getting around that played basket ball or other sports, a bloke called Pendlebury that plays for the Pies played basket ball and there is a Canadian bloke who played rugby that is currently trying to help Sydney win back to back flags. Rhys may turn out to be a GOP and if he does that could well still be a good thing for him and the club and who knows he could be a big fail but it won't be because of what sport he played when he was a kid.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Must be a big table if Dal and Rhys are on it, lol

Kiedis
Club Player

ShanghaiSaint wrote:I have seen Rhys kick a few goals off nice marks lets not forget the good the kid has shown.. he's had a dog year being moved all around the place... I hoped he could be a backman but looks like he's a forward... he has played very well as a forward in the past. so don't just write him off based on this year. Confidence is a massive part of a players game.
Has he though? Has he ever kicked more than 1-2 goals? Last year he averaged just under a goal a game. I just haven't seen all that much from him in any position..

Hasn't ever really demanded my attention. Is that just me?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Why does everybody knock because of the GF sprint?

It's not like he's big noted himself for it... He just ran it once

Who was to no that winning it would be the source of endless ridicule

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'd keep Rhys & play him in his best position (as a ruckman who can go forward). Of course that means we have to find a way to get hold of an experience tall defender & 1 or 2 tall defenders from state comps.

I would also put Ben on the trade table for pick 1. Whilst I would consider packaging another senior player with Ben, I would not consider trading pick 3 to get pick 1... if GWS don't deal then I'd walk away.

I'd offer a back up ruckman like Daniel Currie from North some decent coin & get him across as support for Tom & Rhys (& to give Lewis time to develop).

With Lenny likely to retire, I think keeping hold of Dal is now vital.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I'd keep Rhys & play him in his best position (as a ruckman who can go forward). Of course that means we have to find a way to get hold of an experience tall defender & 1 or 2 tall defenders from state comps.

I would also put Ben on the trade table for pick 1. Whilst I would consider packaging another senior player with Ben, I would not consider trading pick 3 to get pick 1... if GWS don't deal then I'd walk away.

I'd offer a back up ruckman like Daniel Currie from North some decent coin & get him across as support for Tom & Rhys (& to give Lewis time to develop).

With Lenny likely to retire, I think keeping hold of Dal is now vital.

Im still not sure lenny is likely to retire. By the way when has Stanley proved himself to be a ruckman? And I dont think McEvoy will get pick one anyway. damien hardwick said at a sportsman night that Delidio wouldnt get pick one so Im doubting McEvoy would.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

You need to remember too, that Rhys gets a good forward when he plays down back.

Most young defenders learning the trade, will be eased in on the 3rd or 4th best defender. Rhys cops the Clokes and Hendersons of the world.

I'd be inclined to play him loose down back. 3rd man up, handlball receives, run around and enjoy it.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Stanley has show patches in the past. Not a great deal, but patches. A couple of goals in a game against Carlton, a specky in the forward line in another game, a great first quarter against Nic Nat in the west. Just little snippets that in reality don’t prove all that much.

However up until this year he has been beset by injuries (mainly to his hammies). It’s pretty hard to go about the task of learning and honing your craft when you’re not sure when the next twang’s coming.

This year he finally seems to have the injuries under control but finds himself in the unusual role of being asked to be a key defender.

So I’m not prepared to write him off at this stage.

I reckon there’s still a chance he can make it and indeed still a chance he could be quite special. But I think if that is to happen it will be as a Forward/Ruckman and not as a Backman.