Give Jones another contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Give Jones another contract

lloyd21 wrote:Doubt he will be there but we are all only guessing.
But you look at list and they will have next year Dempster Fisher Montagna Riewoldt Schneider Dal Santo Gilbert
Feel that Hayes not going on listening carefully to what he is saying.
They have resigned Milera Ray which means they If they keep Minchington & Curren & Ferguson they need to cut.
Afraid guys who are 30 plus are subjects being cut Blake Kosi Milne Jones & Ledger Tdl (Gwilt on soft ground too )
I reckon there were quite a few blokes in the team that just couldn't quite mentally get over those close GF losses. Let's face it. Jonesy has always been a scapegoat.

CJ lost a fair bit of confidence post 2010 when that negativity started spreading throughout the club with the ex coach declaring in April 2011 that it was the 'end of an era' and some of his teammates lost patience with CJ and with a few other blokes.

Love Clints effort. Ray worked his butt off last night but his finishing was as poor as CJ's. Not easy for the club but it looks like the decision to give Ray a contract is not looking good for CJ at the moment. If we recruit well and if we trade a few ready made midfielders I can't see CJ playing on

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Clint would be there longer than Lenny who would have one good year left at best. Clint trains hard and still sets an incredible work rate. I would keep him for a couple of more years.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Clint would be there longer than Lenny who would have one good year left at best. Clint trains hard and still sets an incredible work rate. I would keep him for a couple of more years.

Why would Clint be there longer than Lenny and why does it matter anyway? Both wont be part of the next rise up the ladder and if one only can be kept for whatever reason lenny is the one we must keep.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Jones gives a good example to the young players about intensity and work rate, and playing alongside that kind of experienced player is the best way to learn, and when you hear guys like Murdoch and Curren talking after the game, they are watching how experienced players go about things.

Watts the Buzz
Club Player

I really like Clint Jones....it's not all about elite skills, just ask Siposs.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

seriously if he could kick we'd be comparing him to mitchell and swan type players

be honest its the only thing letting him down
otherwise he'd be one of the best mids in the comp

dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:seriously if he could kick we'd be comparing him to mitchell and swan type players

be honest its the only thing letting him down
otherwise he'd be one of the best mids in the comp
Disagree, his footy nous and decision making are as bad as his kicking.

Mitchell has unbelievable poise. Even if CJ could kick, he wouldn't be Sam Mitchell.

His effort and pace are his biggest assetts, skills, poise and footy smarts are all missing.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Clint would be there longer than Lenny who would have one good year left at best. Clint trains hard and still sets an incredible work rate. I would keep him for a couple of more years.

Why would Clint be there longer than Lenny and why does it matter anyway? Both wont be part of the next rise up the ladder and if one only can be kept for whatever reason lenny is the one we must keep.

Clint is 29 and Lenny is 33, Lenny is starting to break down and looks like he might still pack it in at the end of the year. Clint started late so should have a bit less wear and tear. I think he probably has another 3 years left ATM. If Lenny wants to go again great for us but likely to be his last.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Clint is 29 and Lenny is 33, Lenny is starting to break down and looks like he might still pack it in at the end of the year. Clint started late so should have a bit less wear and tear. I think he probably has another 3 years left ATM. If Lenny wants to go again great for us but likely to be his last.

CJ may be fit enough to go 3 years but wont be good enough to last 3 years IMO. I have no idea where you come to those conclusions about Lenny. I havent heard one word to suggest he will retire or will play on. Exactly the same as last year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

CJ may be fit enough to go 3 years but wont be good enough to last 3 years IMO. I have no idea where you come to those conclusions about Lenny. I havent heard one word to suggest he will retire or will play on. Exactly the same as last year.

Watch his Schniederman interview- he says he still hasn't decided if he will go on. If we don't need Clint we will be in for some good times I reckon. He is still a warrior.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Watch his Schniederman interview- he says he still hasn't decided if he will go on. If we don't need Clint we will be in for some good times I reckon. He is still a warrior.

I have no idea why him saying suggests anything different to last year. I reckon he said word for word the same last year. happy for you to explain why that comments means he wont play on. And I reckon if we need CJ in 2 or 3 years time then we are definately on the bottom of the ladder. If either player gets a contract it will be only for one year as it should be.

southernsaint
Club Player

I like clint but someone has to go and i think he will. Two rookies to probably be promoted and five draftees and any trades that may come into the club, dont like his chances of staying

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Pretty hard to get rid of a midfielder who will finish top 10in B&F, particularly when midfield depth is one our greatest deficiencies.