Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: Hickey

BigMart wrote:First it was Stanley.... The next big thing, and the second coming.... Rhys 'Dustin' Stanley

The Arryn 'BJ' Siposs

How about the master stroke of recruiting Saad and Milera... They were certain stars...

Now.... Tom 'already better than McEvoy' Hickey

We'll see? But of course, if I mention it in a year or so, it'll be hindsight....

But Ledger... Mmm he gets a different set of standards....
One we're trying to defend his selection.... Still not explained (unless we go back to 4 interchanges)
The other, we justify a non selection??
It's strange how people are held to different standards

Overall
11 matches, 10ppg, 13 hit outs, 3.8 marks, 0.9 contested, 0.2 goals, 1.7 tackles, 1.0 clearances
Macca
21 matches, 11.5ppg, 22 hit outs, 4.8 marks 1.5 contested, .25 goals, 3.0 tackles, 1.8 clearances
How about comparing time on ground as well. Do that and Macca's stats don't look that good I would guess. Remember he is our number 1 ruckmen did spend a lot more time on the ground.

Sainter93
Club Player

It was great to see that his hands were strong and I think he only dropped 1 mark.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Isn't he already better than Macca..... Macca gets smashed on here for being poor, yet a guy with half the numbers get talked up?

Can't compare them
Ok I'll compare his stats to a 5 game Ruckman from Collingwood.... Drafted 5 picks after the one we used to secure him..... And he's 18 and haven't had 4 years in the system?

How do you fit two Ruckmen in a side... Without losing rotations? Please explain....
One person in this thread has said that he is better than McEvoy already, probably tongue in cheek… but somehow you've got it in your mind that everybody thinks this…

McEvoy gets smashed on here because he is playing ordinary footy, very rarely wins hitouts and is talked up as our next captain…

You've said from the start that you don't know why we recruited Hickey because we have a ruckman, but last year we had Masiter & Gilbert taking centre bounces. Most sides have at least 3 or 4 genuine rucks on their list for a reason.

I couldn't care less who becomes our #1 ruckmen in a couple of years, but having a single capable ruckmen on the list is absurd.

Last year we were desperate for ruck back-up and Hickey was the best available. You've written him off from day one, that's fine, can't accuse you of hindsight here…

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Very pleased with the Hickey / McEvoy combo going forward. Combine there numbers on Sunday to get a true reflection of their work.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Very pleased with the Hickey / McEvoy combo going forward. Combine there numbers on Sunday to get a true reflection of their work.

It is one area sorted for seasons to come. As our mids grow accustomed to Hickeys tap work, we will win more possessions and clearances out of the middle.

Absoluitely flogged the Suns out of the middle on Sunday. As this occurs we will become stronger and will take the pressure off the backline a bit.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We flogged the suns out of the middle, because of a few things...

McEvoy had 26 hit outs, Ablett was completely blanketed, our best inside mids in the team... GC didn't have some key players in their set up.

I don't mind Hickey, but we paid overs for a number 2 Ruckman
Whether that be McEvoy #9 or Hickey #13

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We flogged the suns out of the middle, because of a few things...

McEvoy had 26 hit outs, Ablett was completely blanketed, our best inside mids in the team... GC didn't have some key players in their set up.

Completely untrue. Paid market value and gained a promising CHF as steak knives.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Lee a part of a different deal including Pick 12 and Nathan Wright for 24?

The Grundy was obviously a VG deal at 18 if we paid market value at pick 13 for Hickey??

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The Grundy was obviously a VG deal at 18 if we paid market value at pick 13 for Hickey??
Doesn't everyone in the AFL concede that Grundy was an excellent deal at 18? From what I've read he was widely tipped to go top ten, so we had no right to expect he'd still be there at 13. Safe to say that if we'd known we could get him then we would have taken him ahead of Hickey.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
BigMart wrote:The Grundy was obviously a VG deal at 18 if we paid market value at pick 13 for Hickey??
Doesn't everyone in the AFL concede that Grundy was an excellent deal at 18? From what I've read he was widely tipped to go top ten, so we had no right to expect he'd still be there at 13. Safe to say that if we'd known we could get him then we would have taken him ahead of Hickey.
Your post is beautiful in its correctness 8-)

Beekay
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
don't bring logic into this

martymcfly_86
Club Player

Was Nate Wright or Spencer White taken with the pick St Kilda received with Hickey? Shouldn't the question be whether Nate Wright or Spencer White plus Hickey is as good as Grundy? It is highly doubtful that in 2-3 years time Grundy would have been more valuable to St Kilda than both of those players.

"Whoa Doc, this is heavy." - Marty McFly following Ross Lyon's departure
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

martymcfly_86 wrote:Was Nate Wright or Spencer White taken with the pick St Kilda received with Hickey? Shouldn't the question be whether Nate Wright or Spencer White plus Hickey is as good as Grundy? It is highly doubtful that in 2-3 years time Grundy would have been more valuable to St Kilda than both of those players.

Im not even convinced that Grundy will be better value than Hickey on its own.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

martymcfly_86 wrote:Was Nate Wright or Spencer White taken with the pick St Kilda received with Hickey? Shouldn't the question be whether Nate Wright or Spencer White plus Hickey is as good as Grundy? It is highly doubtful that in 2-3 years time Grundy would have been more valuable to St Kilda than both of those players.
Spencer White.
We dropped from pick 13 to pick 26 and pick 37 to 45 and lost pick 57 in the deal.
We didn't get Hickey for pick 13.

martymcfly_86
Club Player

Wow. Doubtful a Buddy Franklin type forward and promising ruckman will be worse for St Kilda than Grundy! Also who was pick 45 - Murdoch or Saunders? The three of them should be compared to Grundy and pick 37. Doubt Saints look like the losers in this deal.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

martymcfly_86 wrote:Wow. Doubtful a Buddy Franklin type forward and promising ruckman will be worse for St Kilda than Grundy! Also who was pick 45 - Murdoch or Saunders? The three of them should be compared to Grundy and pick 37. Doubt Saints look like the losers in this deal.

Don't be ridiculous- this is a fan forum, no way can there ever be a win win situation. It will become some kind of crazy folk law that says we could have had Gary Ablett, Chris Judd and Brodie Grundy for pick 86 and we only got a 2010 members scarf.

martymcfly_86
Club Player

Ben Jacobs was 37 and Saunders was 43. So is Hickey + White + Saunders better for St Kilda than Grundy + Jacobs? I am more than happy with how that has panned out. Carn the Saints!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We flogged the suns out of the middle, because of a few things...

Oh well we should have rucked Dal Santo and Blake and dropped both McEvoy and Hickey.

Obviously anyone could have rucked for us.

Silly me.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:

I think he will be but it doesn't matter, we were never given the option of Grundy so it's not like we chose Hickey over him, even in 5 years time, there is absolutely no point comparing them and moaning that we got the wrong one.

Grundy was widely expected to be well gone by our first pick... You don't hold back trading for needs just in case a player drops ten places lower than expected.

Who did GCS take with 13, J Lonergan? We should moan about how good he is in 5 years instead

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
CURLY wrote:

I think he will be but it doesn't matter, we were never given the option of Grundy so it's not like we chose Hickey over him, even in 5 years time, there is absolutely no point comparing them and moaning that we got the wrong one.

Grundy was widely expected to be well gone by our first pick... You don't hold back trading for needs just in case a player drops ten places lower than expected.

Who did GCS take with 13, J Lonergan? We should moan about how good he is in 5 years instead

Exactly. Why the hell are we even mentioning Hickey and grundy together. he brought those 2 up. They shouldnt be compared at all unless the draft is now done with all clubs writing down their selections beforehand and all other clubs see them. Do people ever think we win in the draft or do they always look for the picks we apparently get wrong even though we havent finished a season of footy with those picks. Geelong must have been pissed off they picked Steven Motlop after a season or two. They must have even wondered about Gary Abblett after his first season.

martymcfly_86
Club Player

Regardless of whether these comparisons are justified or not, I'm really happy with the Hickey trade. If Lee starts to show a bit next season, I'll be happy with that one too! Carn the Saints!