Tom Ledger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Ledger

Please, one more time....

Jack Steven can't kick!.... That should get your old fingers going?!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:If Ledger doesn't get the chop, then who does? So far, Blake, Koschitzke, Milne. With Curren to be elevated, we will probably chop 2 more players at the least. Surely Ledger would be in the gun. Ahmed Saad's impending penalty may be he only thing that saves him.
i'd chop 6 of.., saad, dunell, ferguson, lever, maister, milera, pierce, and dennis-lane.......none of them are up to it....imho....

maiseter, milera have re-signed this season. I would suggestt Pierce mprobably has a 2 year contract.

ferguson and lever, will probably go,

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Pierce

18yo 203cm Ruckman after 12 VFL games?

Sock Puppet
Club Player

wrote:perfectionist - Really didn't even bother reading your post above, because it has no relevance or credibility.
:?:

Maybe you should have?

He basically backs up your assessment of Tom Ledger.

FQF
SS Life Member

Lenny wasn't saying he can't grasp the concepts, he said it bores him.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Stinger - Milera and Maister have just been re-signed!

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ledger is most likely the smartest bloke on the list.... Doing biomedicine or something and got higher than 98 ATAR...
Massive difference between getting good results on exams and being a smart human being.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
BigMart wrote:Ledger is most likely the smartest bloke on the list.... Doing biomedicine or something and got higher than 98 ATAR...
Massive difference between getting good results on exams and being a smart human being.
Could not agree more.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Being a smart human, and a smart footballer don't really correlate either

And I would argue smart human beings get better exam results? I think you're referring to common sense??

Point
He sits through Lectures, seems to be able take in info, at a more complex level.... Sitting through a Footy Strategy meeting surely wouldn't be that much of a difficulty... He's high functioning?!

Ability to concentrate and comprehend in meetings is what a uni student does.... I think it would be harder for a kinaesthetic learner, such as a tradie to sit through meetings and interpret and analyse data, opposition tactics and develop strategy??

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Being a smart human, and a smart footballer don't really correlate either

And I would argue smart human beings get better exam results? I think you're referring to common sense??

Point
He sits through Lectures, seems to be able take in info, at a more complex level.... Sitting through a Footy Strategy meeting surely wouldn't be that much of a difficulty... He's high functioning?!

Ability to concentrate and comprehend in meetings is what a uni student does.... I think it would be harder for a kinaesthetic learner, such as a tradie to sit through meetings and interpret and analyse data, opposition tactics and develop strategy??
Didn't stop Nicky Winmar.
A team-mate at Saints claimed that Nicky was encouraged to stay at the back of the room asleep during team strategy meetings!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Didn't need to listen to what he would have considered rubbish Nicky.... He'd just go out and dominate....

Footy was ver different even 15 - 20 years ago

Wouldn't compare Nicky and Tom L on any level....

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:And I would argue smart human beings get better exam results? I think you're referring to common sense??
Nah, in general hard-working human beings get the good exam results, whether they're smart or not. My year at school - a long time ago - had four guys who got 99.95, but safe to say, especially in hindsight, that the two smartest guys in the year weren't amongst them. They didn't need to work that hard so they didn't push it too much and had a well-balanced social life along with their schooling. One's now a partner at a law firm, the other's in Europe running a reasonably large company.

On the other side of the ledger, I know a whole bunch of guys who I wouldn't consider to be particularly smart, but they did well enough to walk straight into Medicine at the best unis. They just had good tutors and worked really hard.

Brains aren't everything, and I reckon Tommy Ledger will realise that one day.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:If Ledger doesn't get the chop, then who does? So far, Blake, Koschitzke, Milne. With Curren to be elevated, we will probably chop 2 more players at the least. Surely Ledger would be in the gun. Ahmed Saad's impending penalty may be he only thing that saves him.
i'd chop 6 of.., saad, dunell, ferguson, lever, maister, milera, pierce, and dennis-lane.......none of them are up to it....imho....
At this stage it is something like 3, 21, 37, 55, 73, 91...depending on FA comp picks....

So you would imagine that they would use at least 4 (either picking, or trading for a player, though I guess you could swap 2 picks for 1 player....)

Curren would look to be elevated. So that would be 5 to go as a minimum. Maybe more

Saad may provide one extra to MKB. That still leaves another 1 or 2.

TDL has not impressed as he like at the Swans, he just does not get into the game enough. You would imagine that they would keep one of TDL or Milera.
Milera I would keep...as I note that say the Hawks and North are both talking how they need a fast outside skilled players. I think he still has an upside.
Maister: with Roos knee you need back up.
Dunnell: I like him, but we have a lot of tallish guys that can play HBF. Gilbo has come back in killer form. and Roberton had a great year. Add Fisher and Dempster then with a new key defender Gwilt will probably get squeezed out. That will make it hard for Dunnell.
Pierce: Has been good reports, and with his build he needs time to develop.
Lever: Do not really know about. Seem to tread water. But again being tall they may give him another year.
Ferg: is a rookie and will not be elevated, and so will be gone.
Minch: has been ok on elevation, but Curren has been better. so would imagine that Cullen will get elevated. The predicted talent left at 70 -odd could be the decider.

So yes Ledger will need to seize the day against Freo. I hope for his sake that he gets full game to show his worth. Being Freo it will bea harder test that against GC who were not that flash in the seconf half.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

On his performance Sunday, you've got to wonder why he hasn't been given opportunities this season. What is the knock on him supposed to be? His kicking?

Kickit
Club Player

I'm really not that fussed about picks 55 and 73 and I wouldn't see the point of delisting any of Dunell, Maister, Milera or Pierce to use that pick. ( I think 3 of them are contracted anyway ).

I'd be hoping that we can do a trade that involves a player and 55 for a much better pick.
At pick 55 if you are lucky you get a player as good as Dunell.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:I'm really not that fussed about picks 55 and 73 and I wouldn't see the point of delisting any of Dunell, Maister, Milera or Pierce to use that pick. ( I think 3 of them are contracted anyway ).

I'd be hoping that we can do a trade that involves a player and 55 for a much better pick.
So you think pick 55 is worth nothing, but you also think that some other club will value it enough to take it off our hands and give us a much better pick in exchange? Strange logic.

Kickit
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Kickit wrote:I'm really not that fussed about picks 55 and 73 and I wouldn't see the point of delisting any of Dunell, Maister, Milera or Pierce to use that pick. ( I think 3 of them are contracted anyway ).

So you think pick 55 is worth nothing, but you also think that some other club will value it enough to take it off our hands and give us a much better pick in exchange? Strange logic.
Read my words and stop trying to read my mind.

Pick 55 is not worth more than the players I mentioned.
It is worth more than an elderly Kosi or Blake.

Example of pick 55's.
2007, 29 year old Mark Johnson.
2008, Michael Still ( Who ? )
2009, LOL Trent Dennis Lane.
2010, Angus Linterland ( Who?)
2011, Mathew Arnot ( four game player for Richmond )

The object is not to simply turn over the list.

karnaby
Club Player

Pretty sure that I've read something similar on here but I recently heard that Viv Michie from fremantle is a long time saints supporter and that he wants to come home and ideally to play for the saints.
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/player-profile/viv-michie

1 + 1 = ??? a trade maybe?

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Kickit
Club Player

karnaby wrote:Pretty sure that I've read something similar on here but I recently heard that Viv Michie from fremantle is a long time saints supporter and that he wants to come home and ideally to play for the saints.

Ledge for Michie seems equitable.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Kickit wrote:
karnaby wrote:Pretty sure that I've read something similar on here but I recently heard that Viv Michie from fremantle is a long time saints supporter and that he wants to come home and ideally to play for the saints.

Ledge for Michie seems equitable.
Might be okay but he's always injured. Michie 2 weeks.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:Read my words and stop trying to read my mind.

Sure, that wasn't completely clear but I'm happy to go with it. I still don't understand why it's a pick with non-zero trade value - why would a club trade anything for a third round pick?

ljpoyz
Club Player

Mick Still is a ripping kid, Essedon's treatment of him was an eye opener.
Kickit wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Read my words and stop trying to read my mind.

Example of pick 55's.
2007, 29 year old Mark Johnson.
2008, Michael Still ( Who ? )
2009, LOL Trent Dennis Lane.
2010, Angus Linterland ( Who?)
2011, Mathew Arnot ( four game player for Richmond )

The object is not to simply turn over the list.

Kickit
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Kickit wrote:Read my words and stop trying to read my mind.

Sure, that wasn't completely clear but I'm happy to go with it. I still don't understand why it's a pick with non-zero trade value - why would a club trade anything for a third round pick?
They do it though, often as spare change though.
Angus Monfries was a steal for pick 48.
58 was part of the Dawes deal.
Josh Caddy was first rounder + 55.

It seems to be often used as a deal sweetner, or players cop it when they are over a barrel ( StKilda Cripps ).

Better than a kick in the head I suppose.

A few years back it was pretty easy to find players on our list to get rid of and take a punt with any young draftee.
But at the moment our list is full of young blokes who "might be good" which isn't much different to taking a late draft pick.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:A few years back it was pretty easy to find players on our list to get rid of and take a punt with any young draftee.
But at the moment our list is full of young blokes who "might be good" which isn't much different to taking a late draft pick.
Well we have Milne, Blake and Kosi retiring. Then (contracts aside) I'd say none of Jones, Maister, Milera or TDL are ever going to be above average players o regular members of our next finals team. And Lever really hasn't shown enough.

And we have far too many tallish defenders. We could easily do without Gwilt.

Our list is not stacked with quality or talent, it shouldn't be hard to make room for kids.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Very good game yesterday.

Kicking much better, disposals very good. Nice goal.

I really hope the rumours about getting rid of him aren't true. I think he has a future at the Saints.

Mentioned that during the broadcast that the weakness he has is running out a game at the top level (or what is expected).

Give it a huge preseason Tom, get fitterthan you have ever been, and you may well become a regular senior player.

Thumbs up for the lad.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)