Dal Santo to North Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal Santo to North Melbourne

savatage wrote:
maverick wrote:
How can he be still 28 but turn 30 before the start of next season? :lol:
LOL - well this was my point :) He's born Feb 1984 for the record.
I know, I checked too, if the Saints are parading him around as a 28 year old, great work....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:The club needs to get this one right. What is right - I don't know.

To lose Ball, Goddard and Dal is not a good look.

For Dal to want to leave, is not a good look.

However we need to rebuild.
Its not a good look but neither was our terrible recruitment from 2004-2010.
That is why we are in this position.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote: Watters. Has made it clear that we have no salary cap issues anymore, getting pick 26( if that's correct) then I think he is far more valuable on a mentor role.
We seem to have a lot of 'mentors'.
I really dont care that were a great side in 2009 and a good one in 2010.

savatage
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:
savatage wrote:
maverick wrote:
I know, I checked too, if the Saints are parading him around as a 28 year old, great work....
Keep quiet!@!!!!!!!!!!

Richter
SS Life Member

Something which is being discussed over on BF. WHat is he and we agreed NOT to sign him up to another year? He would then go as a FA and we would get compo. Compo based on age and size of next contract ($$-wise and number of years-wise)

Bnad 1 compo - 1st round (#4)
Band 2 compo - end of 1st round (#19)
Band 3 compo - 2nd round (#22)
Band 4 compo - end of 2nd round (#59)
Band 5 compo - 3rd round (#63)

Might we look to let Dal go as a FA, pick up compo (surely band 3 at a minimum) AND do a sweetheart deal for other picks? EG.

- North: Delaney and North 3rd rounder (#48) for our 3rd rounder (#60)
- Tigers: our #21 and #60 for their #12 (remember they'd pick up Dal for free under free agency). Particularly relevant if they were to trade out either of Conca/Martin

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:The club wou;d be crazy to be duped into accepting a fringe defender and pick 26 for a top player like Dal Santo. He would be very valuable to us to help guide our many young inexperienced players.
We will have more guides than players at this rate.
How many guides do we need?
I love Dal but he is or only player with currency and we are stuck in an awkward position through our own making but we now need to look fwd not be comforted in past success.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Dal was seen leaving Westpac Centre with Eade this morning. Make of that what you will.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Something which is being discussed over on BF. WHat is he and we agreed NOT to sign him up to another year? He would then go as a FA and we would get compo. Compo based on age and size of next contract ($$-wise and number of years-wise)

Might we look to let Dal go as a FA, pick up compo (surely band 3 at a minimum) AND do a sweetheart deal for other picks? EG.

- Tigers: our #21 and #60 for their #12 (remember they'd pick up Dal for free under free agency). Particularly relevant if they were to trade out either of Conca/Martin
Would the AFL allow this to happen. I don't think this would be in the spirit of the rules. I'm sure other clubs wouldn't be happy.

8856brother wrote:
Richter wrote:Something which is being discussed over on BF. WHat is he and we agreed NOT to sign him up to another year? He would then go as a FA and we would get compo. Compo based on age and size of next contract ($$-wise and number of years-wise)

Would the AFL allow this to happen. I don't think this would be in the spirit of the rules. I'm sure other clubs wouldn't be happy.
Very interesting, Pelchen does like using all the rules available....
Every chance he could end up band 4 though....

Richter
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:
8856brother wrote:

Very interesting, Pelchen does like using all the rules available....
Every chance he could end up band 4 though....
EDIT: Band 4 compo would be end of round 2 = approx #39 not #59 as I stated above.

Also, yes, apparently the AFL would not allow such a 'sweetheart deal' to go through so would probably be limited to something like Delaney for #60

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
luckysaint
Club Player

CURLY wrote:Apparently Dal was seen leaving Westpac Centre with Eade this morning. Make of that what you will.
Who'd you hear that from?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Apparently Dal was seen leaving Westpac Centre with Eade this morning. Make of that what you will.
Eade to the Saints as an Assistant Coach then? :wink:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Dal doesn't want to.
I'm not sure you should believe too much of what you read in the media at this time of year. I have no inside info, but what are the chances Dal would come out and say "yeah, I really what to leave"?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

luckysaint wrote:
Who'd you hear that from?
Pies must lick their lips when they see an opportunity to take the piss out of us over the trade table.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we did not trade him, but he was taken as a free agent, what compensation would we be liable to get for him?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:I think its hilarious that we all hang crap on players like Bj and Ball when they walk out on the club but in the very next thread we are happy to cut loose loyal champions of the club because we think they are past their use-by date.
I spoke to Dal at length at the B&F and he is so passionate about the saints and definitely wants to stay, but to his credit, he said that he would always do whats best for the club and would accept a trade if thats what they wanted.
A true champion and good role model, something that we are in need of at our club and certainly worth more than a second rate defender and a second round pick.
Unlike BJ and Ball (though i have no probs with the latter), Dal isn't walking out on the club or being forced/threatened into moving.

Pick 9 for Dal is seemingly an amazing win to us and an offer i don't think we can refuse.

Long term, it's a huge win for us whilst in the short term Nth get a quick fix to press their chances.

Personally, i think Dal is a clever guy. He knows his time is nearing an end on our list. He's got maybe 2 seasons left and with the team set to struggle, he will come under increased scrutiny in the media and from supporters.

Alternatively, Dal could spend his last few seasons playing finals and have 1more shot at that elusive flag.

I can't see how this isn't a win win for all concerned. Even if he goes, he will always be regarded as a life long saint for mine, loyal to the end

Ironic that we could use pick nine to get his cousin in. Bontempelli looks a big mid fielder in the Josh Kennedy mould and can kick goals. Do the deal.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

from the super coach page- http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-f ... ntempelli/
MARCUS BONTEMPELLI

Height: 190cm
Weight: 82kg
Team/Club: Victoria Metro/Northern Knights/Marcellin
Position: Midfielder
Player Comparision: Scott Pendlebury
Draft Range: 15-25

Player Profile

Incredibly athletic, tall and super versatile – Marco Bontempelli possess all the attributes of what the modern game demands. Fantastic athleticism, very agile, plays tall or small, is versatile enough to play off a back flank (where he has drawn comparisons to a Grant Birchall type), or roaming the midfielder, where his height, awareness, vision and clean disposal in traffic have likened him to a Scott Pendlebury type. Bontempelli – the cousin of St Kilda’s Nick Dal Santo, also has a fantastic leap, and when forward can play like a key position forward, down back he can fly over packs to kill the ball or take an intercept mark, and below his knees he has sticky fingers. If this wasn’t enough, Bontempelli has elite endurance – he just runs all day. He’s not afraid to take on the responsibility of the kick-in’s, and will transition to AFL level with ease. Bases his game as an outside midfielder, who runs and carries, and can transition the ball over 100m with a left foot that serves him well over 60 metres. The highlight of Bontempelli’s game, are spread across key areas; marking, tackling and inside 50′s where his disposal into the forward line more often than not finds a target, lace-out. Bontempelli’s unique abilities and size, makes him a huge point of interest for clubs that have their first pick featuring in the 15-25 range.

Strenghts

Line-breaking pace, safe hands, clean beneath his knees, strong mark, can play an array of positions, elite ball user, big leap, elite endurance and strong work ethic, knows how to spread, aerial abilities are first class, great burst of speed, long raking left foot, high possession accumilator, is damaging and efficienct with his disposal, very much an outside midfielder with back flank capabilities and – he is still growing!

Weaknesses

Still developing his inside game, and can be a bit patchy over four quarters. Didn’t have the National Championships he would’ve liked to have had, but his form back in the TAC Cup has been fantastic. Plenty to work with here.

National Carnival Stats

Round 5 - 21 disposals, 3 marks, 3 clearances, 5 inside-50′s and 3 score assists
Averaged 14 disopsals, 4 marks, 3 inside 50′s, 2 clearnaces and 1 tackle per game in the Nationa Championships
Averaging 21 disposals, 3 marks, 5 inside 50′s, 4 clearnaces, 5 tackles per game.
Honours

AFL-AIS Academy member 2013
Once had 50 disposals and 10 goals playing for Marcellin College in the APS system.

We could get the young Goddard next year and live in the past and the future then.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Wont GWS have pick 9, as their mid first round compensation pick?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Dont forget Adelaide and Essendon dont take part in rounds one and two.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Joining his mate Lukey?

If they get rid of daisy, they might be interested.

I guess Eade is the director of footy now.

Kickit
Club Player

The compensation formula includes the amount he earns on his new contract.
So we don't want to shove him out the door and force him to work somewhere else for chicken feed , because that will reduce our compo.

Further, he's probably on decent money with the Saints and we can afford it if he's on the vet list.

By comparison :
Pearce and Chaplin got mid second round compensation.
Lynch , Moloney, Rivers and Young got mid second round compensation.

I'd guess, depending on how much he gets paid, that we'd be looking at end of first round or second round.
Both of which would be OK.

El Wood
Club Player

He really doesn't want to go

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-11/d ... -206207969

Dal Santo wants to remain a Saint

DESPITE growing speculation about his future, Nick Dal Santo insists he wants to stay at St Kilda and help guide the club through a rebuilding period.

Dal Santo was one of the highest profile names to appear on this year's list of restricted free agents.

But the star midfielder had an option guaranteeing him a contract for 2014 with the Saints providing he passed a medical at the end of this season.

Dal Santo told AFL.com.au on Tuesday night he intended to stay and honour that contract.

"I'm actually not a free agent. I've actually got another year on a contract, which has been misreported a few times, but I understand that," Dal Santo said before the AFLPA MVP Awards at Docklands.

"I do intend on staying at the Saints, to make a long story short. I've been there since I was 17 and I don't want to change."

This season was a tough one for the Saints. After narrowly missing the finals in Scott Watters' first season as coach last year, they fell to 16th this season, winning just five games.

Dal Santo acknowledged that after missing the finals just once from 2004-11 the Saints had entered a challenging transition period.

But the 29-year-old said he had been buoyed by the emergence this year of young Saints such as Jack Newnes, Tom Curren, Tom Lee and Tom Hickey, and was looking forward to playing a part in their continued football development.

"When I came to St Kilda as a 17-year-old, I had the likes of Robert Harvey, Aaron Hamill, Stewart Loewe and Nathan Burke to learn from," Dal Santo said.

"Now 12 years on that's us senior players trying to pass on the same messages and lessons to the young guys.

"Obviously we're still trying to contribute and play decent football, but it's also important to pass on some messages along the way."

Moods
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:No doubting NDS has been a fine StK man, but do we cling on to the past or move forward. If we have currency, then we use it.

That's all well and good - but let's not bang on about disloyalty, mercenaries etc when the boot is on the other foot. If a player wants to leave who we want to retain, maybe we should all hold off on the vitriol twds the said player.....

I for one, believe that if Dal wants to stay, then we owe it to our long term culture at the club to keep him. If we think his use by date has gone - then don't offer him a contract and see how he goes getting another club to sign him.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Has it occurred to anyone how hypercritical it is to have a motto "Strength through Loyalty" if we trade a loyal player like Dal Santo who wants to stay.
He is probably our best at disposal and has at least 2 good years left. We might finish with a player at no. 26 which doesn't give us even 2 good years.
Keep Dal Santo and go after a free agent and the early picks we have.

One year will be our year
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
savatage wrote:
maverick wrote:
A bit of foundation...touch of concealer...colour in those grey hairs....and voila! Remember Dal - you're a 25 year old coming into the peak of your career. If anyone asks for your birth certificate tell them Clinton burned it. Now get out there and shake that pick maker you little draft bait you. :oops:

My North mate is always complaining their big problem is players don't run hard both ways so I don't know if Dal is going to help with that. Collingwood does seem a better fit. They have the resources to look after the older players (we can rebuild him, make him stonger, better....) It would be really sad if Old Dalla missed out on a send off match. The good thing is if no good pick is going and we want to keep him I don't think Dal will bear any grudges - he's just too damn nice 8-) . I'm sure if you ran over his cat he'd be like "sorry about getting your tyres dirty. I'll clean them for you"